Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Be still my beating heart

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Beach in Rossnowlagh is glorious place to run, make it my business to get a run done there when up visiting the in-laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

ive seen clearer pictures of the loch ness monster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

tang1 wrote: »
    Beach in Rossnowlagh is glorious place to run, make it my business to get a run done there when up visiting the in-laws.

I've earmarked 2 more. Enniscrone and Streedlagh strand. Both fabulous places and just perfect for running. Luckily they're good for fishing too:D
    The last 3 days over that direction were as enjoyable as any foreign holiday I've been on if not more. The weather helps of course but the scenery is just stunning. Fantastic view of Ben Bulben out my bedroom window!

ive seen clearer pictures of the loch ness monster

lol! So you won't recognise me if you meet me out running then? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Ososlo wrote: »
    lol! So you won't recognise me if you meet me out running then? :)
    sure ill see ya at camp:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Yeah, Ben Bulben is spectacular alright, they run a quality 10mile race up that way in March, some of the scenery on it is glorious. Theres a section along the back of Bundoran golf course where you think you'll run out of road and run off the cliffs edge there.

tang1 wrote: »
    Yeah, Ben Bulben is spectacular alright, they run a quality 10mile race up that way in March, some of the scenery on it is glorious. Theres a section along the back of Bundoran golf course where you think you'll run out of road and run off the cliffs edge there.

Sounds cool! So much to see around there!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ah yes, hope to do the Bundoran 10 again next year. Love that downhill finish :)

Monday 13 October
    Foam roll, AIS, Lunge Matrix pre run
    45 mins w/25mins @ 10mile to 10k effort

Got a new 'Phoenix Park Transporter' car sorted today thankfully but won't have it for another few days so stayed local once again for the run.
    Warm up was grand. 10 mins at 9:57 then started on the faster bit. Immediately I injected a bit of pace I got this horrible stitch. I haven't had anything like it for a long time so don't know where it came from or why. I htfu'd for the first mile but it was a real struggle and I debated just turning it into an easy one. Stitch left me in the 2nd mile thankfully and I felt really good - 8:29 pace and the last .94 of a mile was at 8:16 pace. Cooldown at 9:30 was weird as it was so 'fast' (it's all relative!) but it felt very easy effort-wise.
    Avg pace for the run 9:02min/mile
    Myrtl post run.
    Feel a bit paranoid posting the exercises I do now as some folks seem to be taking the p1ss on some logs. Not sure what's so wrong with working on general strength and mobility and it's certainly not doing me any harm and I haven't had so much as a niggle since I started doing AIS, LM and Myrtl so ... thanks Stazza for introducing them to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Monday 13 October
    45 mins w/25mins @ 10mile to 10k effort

Got a new 'Phoenix Park Transporter' car sorted today thankfully but won't have it for another few days so stayed local once again for the run.
    Warm up was grand. 10 mins at 9:57 then started on the faster bit. Immediately I injected a bit of pace I got this horrible stitch. I haven't had anything like it for a long time so don't know where it came from or why. I htfu'd for the first mile but it was a real struggle and I debated just turning it into an easy one. Stitch left me in the 2nd mile thankfully and I felt really good - 8:29 pace and the last .94 of a mile was at 8:16 pace. Cooldown at 9:30 was weird as it was so 'fast' (it's all relative!) but it felt very easy effort-wise.
    Avg pace for the run 9:02min/mile
    Myrtl post run.
    Feel a bit paranoid posting the exercises I do now as some folks seem to be taking the p1ss on some logs. Not sure what's so wrong with working on general strength and mobility and it's certainly not doing me any harm and I haven't had so much as a niggle since I started doing AIS, LM and Myrtl so ... thanks Stazza for introducing them to me.

If they work for you and you get benefit from them and enjoy them then keep posting! An area I probably need to improve on post marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Got a bit of a laugh from that - you're paranoid about posting actually 'training' but feel ok posting about your car, sleep deprivation, womens issues, wedding dress shopping etc :D:D:D

Not a thing wrong with it, dont feel paranoid - If the exercises work for you, keep it going - its all part of your training and this is a training log :)
    I'm a few weeks into a good routine myself and love it - posting it keeps me at it.

Got a bit of a laugh from that - you're paranoid about posting actually 'training' but feel ok posting about your car, sleep deprivation, womens issues, wedding dress shopping etc :D:D:D

Not a thing wrong with it, dont feel paranoid - If the exercises work for you, keep it going - its all part of your training and this is a training log :)
    I'm a few weeks into a good routine myself and love it - posting it keeps me at it.

ha ha
    I still don't like people laffin' at me;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

You're lucky we aren't in medieval times- with all your "strange" training they'd have thrown you in a lake to see if you'd sink or swim......and you know how that one turns out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Couldn't agree more with AMK's post - people take different things from different logs....you're sharing your ideas and techniques which is a great resource for people to have at their disposal. They can take it or leave it which is the beauty of the training logs on boards.

And sure the other stuff you share is good craic too :pac:

Tuesday 14 October
    Foam roll, Lunge Matrix pre run
    am: 35 mins easy
    Kept this all very relaxed as I was wired all night and just couldn't settle. Luckily I'm reading a very good book to help while away the hours... I think I was a little bit excited too about picking up my new Phoenix Park Transporter car tomorrow!
    No pick ups, no nothing, just plain old easy run.
    avg pace: 10:14min/mile

Afternoon at the hairdressers where I was stuck in a chair not able to move for 3 fecking hours just to cover up the fact that I'm not really a blonde:eek: The things we do! I actually feel a bit silly for part of what I posted on quirky's latest closing post about being 'upset' over what he posted and pmd to me over the months. Ultrapercy is completely right, there are WAY too many FAR more important things to worry about in life and I regret posting my feelings but it was how I felt at the time. My excuse is that I'm a bit hormonal today;) Thanks for the reality check and I will "Cop on".

The fact that ecoli is gone is an absolute shame. He has been personally very supportive of me in many capacities since I started posting on boards. I really hope he's back soon. And sure you're no one around these parts unless you've had at least one account closure and a second coming! Come back Luke.

Back to training....

pm: 35 mins easy w/6x25 sec strides
    Wasn't sure how it'd go with the old pains. Felt very sluggish starting out but perked up a little as I went along.
    9:38min/mile avg pace

and for the record, nobody pulls my strings...

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

I've earmarked 2 more. Enniscrone and Streedlagh strand. Both fabulous places and just perfect for running. Luckily they're good for fishing too:D
    The last 3 days over that direction were as enjoyable as any foreign holiday I've been on if not more. The weather helps of course but the scenery is just stunning. Fantastic view of Ben Bulben out my bedroom window!

Streedagh is where the club does all its xc training. Lovely 1 mile hilly loop on the headland between first and second cattle grids. Another 900m loop on a trail at the foot of benbulben. Great views from up there on a clear day. Will send you a few map s one of the days

conavitzky wrote: »
    Streedagh is where the club does all its xc training. Lovely 1 mile hilly loop on the headland between first and second cattle grids. Another 900m loop on a trail at the foot of benbulben. Great views from up there on a clear day. Will send you a few map s one of the days

that'd be super thanks! Can't wait to go back!!!

... and next thing you know...

Wednesday 15 October 2014
    Rest day

2 nights with absolutely no sleep so decided to take my first day off running/exercise in over 3 weeks as a run was not going to do anything to help matters. I was so tired I was disorientated and my thinking was quite disjointed. Tiredness can do very strange things to ones mind!
    Went to bed at 11 and woke at 9am! I don't think that's ever happened me in my life before! I don't think I even moved position all night! I was no good to man nor beast :eek:

Thursday 16 October

It's amazing what over 10 hours sleep and a good ole virtual chin-wag with your brother can do to help you see things clearly again ;)
    AIS and LM pre run
    am: 35 min run
    Did this progressively as I was feeling good. My legs wanted to take off from the beginning but I held back and went from 9:50 pace to 8:30 pace very gradually.
    Finally got me new motor sorted and took it for a little spin and celebrated with a glass of something sparkly :)

pm: AIS & LM
    35 mins w/6x25 sec strides

A little wet but extremely mild. Felt nice and bouncy and glided along this evening. Lit it rip on the strides.

Friday 17 October
    90 min longer run

Felt very strange heading off. Very lightheaded even though I had eaten breakfast. Guess it's the effects of the painkillers from the last few days. Never really got going if I'm honest and kept it all very easy. It was a bit of a 'meh' run and I can't remember ever having one of those before! Felt stronger at the end so picked it up a little bit.
    9 miles at 10min/mile

Saturday 18 October
    45 mins w/25 min tempo

AIS, Lunge Matrix pre run.
    Tried this without breakfast (something I haven't done in a long time) but have been getting little stitches lately so wanted to see if it made any difference running on an empty stomach. I didn't notice any loss in energy for the duration so that's good. I did get a really bad stitch at the very end of the tempo part of the run though so had to stop for about a minute to recover.
    Beautiful if blustery morning. A lot of runners out and a few local club runners and Gary O' H whizzed by me a few times at lighteneing speed. Great to see the pros at work. That's one thing I really love about running in my local park. You really never know what runners you might see on any given day because of it's close proximity to Santry Stadium. I've seen many running stars over the last few years.
    Felt pretty damn good this morning. I always take my time easing into the tempo so I do the first 10 mins or so at 10 mile isn race effort and gradually work up to 10k effort. Suits me better this way so I don't shoot my load too early on and die a death.
    Warm up 10mins at 9:56 pace, then worked from 8:35 to 8:19 pace. Felt good but was working hard throughout. It felt 'fast' but relaxed (ish).
    Happy out with that as it worked out faster than recent tempo efforts.
    5.03 miles at 8:59 avg pace

Sunday 19 October
    Foam roll, AIS, Lunge Matrix
    7 miles easy
    Superb night away in Waterford Castle partaking in a 5 course meal tasting and of course lots of alcohol had to be sampled too. 2 x different white wines, 2 x red wines, sparkling wines and lots of g&ts and more wine to finish off and a very very close encounter with a cigarette but I didn't succumb. I never fail to amaze myself that even when off my face, that I can still see sense as far as smoking is concerned. Plan was to do a run around the island this morning... ha ha ha ha ha...
    Today was to be 2 x 35 mins but no way could I do that with any kind of a decent break in-between so decided to do the replacement run of 50 mins easy instead. This run was fuelled by a very naughty Supermacs meal on the way back to Dublin followed by some m&ms. Somehting I never do!
    Thought the run would be a complete mess like I was earlier today but oddly I felt great. My breathing has never been better, my legs felt great and I was thoroughly enjoying it. For some very strange reason, 9:40ish min/miles felt very easy for me today. Yeah I ran a few miles more than I should have but I was just listening to my body and it wanted to go a little bit further day :)
    7 miles at 9:39min/mile
    Weekly total 41 miles (missed one run due to unscheduled rest day)
    A few more spicy bits will be added in next week and I can't ****ing wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

.Suits me better this way so I don't shoot my load too early on!
    As the bishop said to the actress:pac:
    Sorry, my dirty mind couldn't resist.
    edit: I think the phrase you meant was shoot your bolt.

• Advertisement

gerard_65 wrote: »
    As the bishop said to the actress:pac:
    Sorry, my dirty mind couldn't resist.
    edit: I think the phrase you meant was shoot your bolt.

:o
    same thing? I better stop using that phrase as people regularly take it up incorrectly! I thought it was an acceptable turn of phrase!!!
    From now on it's 'shoot my bolt' then!

Monday 20 October
    AIS, Lunge Matrix
    am: 35 min run
    Felt sluggish. Saturday night obviously caught up with me eventually but still enjoyable and loosened out as the time went on, finishing at a nice stronger effort.
    9:50 avg/pace
    Myrtl post run

pm: 35 min run w/6 x 25 sec strides
    AIS, Lunge Matrix
    Did this only 4 hours after the morning run so I know I deserve the virtual slap I'll get (supposed to be leaving 8 hours between double runs) but this was the only way I could get it done and I want to get ALL my runs in this week without fail. So there:P Enjoyed the strides.
    9:56 avg/pace

Tuesday 21 October
    55 min inc 20 x 60sec @ 10k effort off 30 sec rec
    AIS, Lunge Matrix
    Warm up progressive from 9:55 to 9ish pace. This workout posed no problems whatsoever. I did it by feel so paces for reps are a bit all over the shop and varied from 7:50 to 8:20 pace. There's no way my 10k pace is sub 8 min/mile but some of them were done with the wind going in my favour so are a bit faster than they should be and of course some were against the wind but effort was kept consistent. Terrain was a bit 'up 'n down' also.
    The 30 sec recoveries were fine.
    Thoroughly enjoyable and would have liked to do another 10 reps:)
    Cooldown, 9:24 pace. Found it hard to slow down a lot on the cooldown as my legs felt like they wanted to take off again, I don't think they knew what was expected of them!!! so held back a lot. Way too fast for a regular cooldown!
    Some more fun stuff on the menu coming up this week!
    6 miles at 9:17avg pace
    Body feeling good and strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Any races lined up in the near future Ososlo?

Any races lined up in the near future Ososlo?

yeah, I'll get another few weeks of training under the belt and then give a 10k a lash in November. Looking forward to seeing some improvement in the pb!
    53:31 as it stands from last year, so should be able to take a good chunk off that.

Wednesday 22 October
    50 mins easy

AIS, Lunge Matrix pre run
    Easy run to get the car so net downhill. Took it very handy. Wore my DCM top in memory of this time last year :( Very jealous of all you marathon runners!
    5 miles @ 10:03min/mile
    Myrtl post run

Thursday 23 October
    55 mins w/30 min tempo

Foam roll, AIS, LM pre run
    I won't bother moaning again about the dangerous encounters with local club runners but I had 2 tonight. Really dangerous. It's not long before an accident happens and I really hope I'm not involved. The groups running together are just too large, especially the once with kids and nattering women:rolleyes: Why do people feel the need to have to natter while they run:confused:
    This was a lot slower than recent tempo runs. Not sure why. Sleep hasn't been great the last 2 nights I guess and the paths I was running on weren't very well lit and I had to watch my footing so that didn't help. First mile was very slow at 8:50ish pace. Started to enjoy it more as I went along and go into a nice rhythm and worked down to 8:14pace.
    Happy days:)
    6 miles @ 9:10min/mile

Friday 24 October
    6 miles easy

AIS, LM pre run
    Was supposed to do 2 x 35 mins today but I couldn't drag my sorry ass outa bed before work to do it at 6:30am as I slept cr1p so it would have been pointless flogging a dead very sleepy horse. That's 3 nights on the trot now with very poor sleep.
    Started off nice and easy and picked it up a little bit in the second half but not much. All very comfortable. Felt good throught despite the tiredness. Yay!
    9:44 avg pace

Saturday 25 October
    am: 35 mins

AIS, LM pre run. I love running in my local park on a Saturday morning. All the super fast teenagers are out with the club doing sessions and races on the grass so I have great entertainment as I plod along watching these lithe kids speeding along with natural running grace. Yes I always say to myself, 'why do you bother Ososlo' but I soon shake myself out of that negative way of thinking. A few of these kids will be runners to look out for in the future I have no doubt.
    Started out very easy, but what I love about these little runs is that if I'm feeling good I can pick it up a little bit in progressive style which I did from 1.5 miles for about a mile and then did 3 faster mins towards the end, picking it up again to 10k ish effort.
    9:22 avg pace

pm: 35 mins w/6x 25 sec strides
    AIS pre run (skipped the LM as wanted to get to park before gate closed)
    Breezy evening out there. Hope it calms a bit for everyone for Monday. Did the strides in mile 2. Enjoyable little leg stretcher after an afternoon watching my sister do her FOURTH wedding dress fitting!!!!!!!!
    Was gonna pop by the Phoneix Park at 6 to meet Yaboya and some of the novices for the short run as I was in the vicinity, but didn't bring my running gear and I don't run very well in high heels:P Pity...
    9:32 avg pace
    Long run tomorrow with some sparkle in the second half. Yippee! Should have the Phoneix Park pretty much to myself!

• Advertisement

Very little running going on around the place these days so I guess someone should do some:)

Sunday 26 October
    90 mins w/10 mins @ 10k effort and 5 x 45sec @ 5k effort in 2nd half

As suspected, all was quiet in the Phoenix Park this morning in anticipation of the pitter patter of 28,000? nervous and excited feet tomorrow morning. You wouldn't think there was such a huge event passing through tomorrow, with the only signal being a few signs on the Catleknock Gate telling of closure to cars and warning friends, supporters, family, mentors! of runners against cycling along with the runners tomorrow and pointing out potential dangers and of course the big MILE 6 sign up on the gate.

Was going to take in the hills in the park for the first half but decided against it as didn't want to be shagged in the second half of the run for the faster bits and it was more difficult than usual with the savage wind.
    First half was fine and clocked a few 9:30min/miles with minimal effort.
    However I got this awful stitch yet again once I upped the effort for the 10k bit in the second half. Really annoyed with that as I was feeling good up to then and looking forward to this portion of the run. The stitch lasted for 8 of the 10 mins and I was doing everything in my power to control it but couldn't shift it. It finally went and I finished strong. I'm surprised the bit with the stitch was 8:30ish pace. I thought it would have been an awful lot slower as I was bent over for most of it trying to manage the pain so certainly wasn't running in a very relaxed state! Not sure what these stitches are about these days and why I'm getting them all of a sudden. Annoying:(

Took full recovery and then into the 5 x 45 sec. Stitch didn't return:D First 3 reps were ok, but I was really shagged for the last 2 and esp the last one. I barely managed to finish the last one. I was warned that while this session looks ok on paper it's quite different in reality. Short cooldown and felt a tiny bit sick at the end but grand within 20 seconds. Remembered to bring my Kinnetica drink which was very welcome at the end.
    9.21 miles @ 9:47 avg pace

47 miles for the week (did all my runs but replaced one 2x35 with a 6mile easy run)
    Few more changes next week:D Might apply for a day off tomorrow! Or maybe I'll just do a longer easy run as I'm going to the PPark anyways to do a bit of supporting... will see in the morning.

Best of luck to all racing and pacing tomorrow. I hope to be around the Aras in the Park and then at the finish and catch some old faces and lots of new ones hopefully in the watering hole afterwards. It's gonna be a fun few days reading all the race reports:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Your clocking up some nice mileage there Ososlo! I hear bananas are great for avoiding stitches:)

Your clocking up some nice mileage there Ososlo! I hear bananas are great for avoiding stitches:)

I had one for breakfast so unfortunately that cure doesn't work for me but thanks:)
    Haven't had stitches like these since I did couch 2 5k!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

I had one for breakfast so unfortunately that cure doesn't work for me but thanks:)
    Haven't had stitches like these since I did couch 2 5k!

Ah that sucks, hope it's only a temporary annoyance

Ah that sucks, hope it's only a temporary annoyance

I'll try eating about 2.5-3 hours before running as I think it might be a digestion thing. I thought recently I was getting away with eating closer to running and while it's fine for an easy run, I think it mightn't be working for me for anything with a bit of effort. Trial and error, trial and error...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

I here white wine is your only man for the stitches. You should give it a try:rolleyes:

Cleanman wrote: »
    I here white wine is your only man for the stitches. You should give it a try:rolleyes:

jaysus stitches were the least of my worries on my run this afternoon:(
    I think I was still drunk lol...
    Super meeting you again:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Cleanman wrote: »

Ha ha...the 'Pinot Grigio method'...love it:pac::D

RedRunner wrote: »
    Ha ha...the 'Pinot Grigio method'...love it:pac::D

I found a half a bottle of it in my bag this morning:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

:D

That would have been your 3rd ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Trying a new hydration and fuelling strategy on your run?? :p

:D

That would have been your 3rd ;)

oh dear:o
    it was some marathon drinking session! That's for sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Courtesy of the bar girl in mcg's. I was chatting to her about the wieght loss benefits of running and she gave me the bottle of vino!!!

Or maybe she threw it at me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Gavlor wrote: »
    Courtesy of the bar girl in mcg's. I was chatting to her about the wieght loss benefits of running and she gave me the bottle of vino!!!

Or maybe she threw it at me.....

Or maybe she said a glass was €XX.XX and a bottle was €xx.xx... was that you beside me :D

Marathon Monday drinking session 27th October

Applied for a day off running and was granted my wish. I wanted to get into town early enough for the marathon. I must say I did feel a little sad not to be doing it this year. My time will come:D
    What a super session in McGrattan's. Made up for not meeting many there last year. Some great drinking performances put in by many Boardsies and I think I held my own too:)
    Met some real Boards legends and a fantastic bunch of ex-novices. Surreal experience.
    Finally met my long lost brother who's actually not the prik he likes to make himself out to be:) Gavlor on the other hand:rolleyes:.... well........ KIDDING!!!! Top guy.
    Great to meet some fellow 2013 graduates too. Lovely bunch of lads.
    Most people are nothing like you think they'll be and in most cases I was pleasantly surprised :)
    Still can't believe what the novices did. It's not like doing that thread was a penance for me or anything! I enjoyed every second of it! And then they go and do that to top it all off:eek: Jaysus, you coulda knocked me down with a feather when I was presented with it. I can't wait to go shopping!!!!

I maintained a steady drinking pace throughout the day and into the night and it was a fun fun fun day chatting running for 9ish hours. It's lovely how even the super fast guys are interested to hear of the training/goals/aspirations of us slower folks.

Things got a bit hazy at some point................................................

Tuesday 28th October
    35 mins recovery

Woke up with a hangover to match all hangovers.... Shudder shudder.....:(
    Resting heart rate was 75! (normally sub 50)
    The little run was fine once I kept it super easy. It was net downhill to collect the car. Any time I upped the effort a little I felt a bit odd and sick and lightheaded so I left it at recovery effort.
    Surprised to see recovery effort coming in at 9:59 pace.

Wednesday 29 October
    10 x 3 mins @ 10k pace off 30 sec rec

Ok, party's over time to knuckle down again.
    Lovely cool crisp morning. Thought this would be a doodle but actually think I'm still a bit hungover!
    Warmup 9.58, 9.27
    3 min reps were: 8.23, 8.10, 8.16, 8.21, 8.17, 8.20, 8.16, 8.17, 8.08, 8.13.
    All was going fine until rep 5 when the bloody stitch reappeared. It was about 2 and a three quarter hours since I'd eaten so I'll have to try 3+ hours the next time and see if that makes a difference. Really annoying. Luckily it went completely by rep 7.
    All good, not too much trouble with this at all but could definitely feel the effects of Monday's session still seeping through the pores.
    Cooldown 9.41, 9.54

7.17 miles avg pace 9:06min/mile
    Felt a little odd putting on my lipstick today:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Applied for a day off running and was granted my wish. I wanted to get into town early enough for the marathon. I must say I did feel a little sad not to be doing it this year. My time will come:D
    What a super session in McGrattan's. Made up for not meeting many there last year. Some great drinking performances put in by many Boardsies and I think I held my own too:)
    Met some real Boards legends and a fantastic bunch of ex-novices. Surreal experience.
    Finally met my long lost brother who's actually not the prik he likes to make himself out to be:) Gavlor on the other hand:rolleyes:.... well........ KIDDING!!!! Top guy.
    Great to meet some fellow 2013 graduates too. Lovely bunch of lads.
    Most people are nothing like you think they'll be and in most cases I was pleasantly surprised :)
    Still can't believe what the novices did. It's not like doing that thread was a penance for me or anything! I enjoyed every second of it! And then they go and do that to top it all off:eek: Jaysus, you coulda knocked me down with a feather when I was presented with it. I can't wait to go shopping!!!!

I maintained a steady drinking pace throughout the day and into the night and it was a fun fun fun day chatting running for 9ish hours. It's lovely how even the super fast guys are interested to hear of the training/goals/aspirations of us slower folks.

Things got a bit hazy at some point................................................

Tuesday 28th October
    35 mins recovery

Woke up with a hangover to match all hangovers.... Shudder shudder.....:(
    Resting heart rate was 75! (normally sub 50)
    The little run was fine once I kept it super easy. It was net downhill to collect the car. Any time I upped the effort a little I felt a bit odd and sick and lightheaded so I left it at recovery effort.
    Surprised to see recovery effort coming in at 9:59 pace.

Wednesday 29 October
    10 x 3 mins @ 10k pace off 30 sec rec

Ok, party's over time to knuckle down again.
    Lovely cool crisp morning. Thought this would be a doodle but actually think I'm still a bit hungover!
    Warmup 9.58, 9.27
    3 min reps were: 8.23, 8.10, 8.16, 8.21, 8.17, 8.20, 8.16, 8.17, 8.08, 8.13.
    All was going fine until rep 5 when the bloody stitch reappeared. It was about 2 and a three quarter hours since I'd eaten so I'll have to try 3+ hours the next time and see if that makes a difference. Really annoying. Luckily it went completely by rep 7.
    All good, not too much trouble with this at all but could definitely feel the effects of Monday's session still seeping through the pores.
    Cooldown 9.41, 9.54

7.17 miles avg pace 9:06min/mile

Nice drinking report. Was a good night I think . I was pretty wiped out by the end of it I think. I hope you'll get good shoes out of AK anyway.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Nice drinking report. Was a good night I think . I was pretty wiped out by the end of it I think. I hope you'll get good shoes out of AK anyway.

ha ha a bit hazy for yourself too then! You must've been well wiped having run a marathon on top of that epic drinking session! Fair play to you! Good endurance there that'll stand to you in the future:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

ha ha a bit hazy for yourself too then! You must've been well wiped having run a marathon on top of that epic drinking session! Fair play to you! Good endurance there that'll stand to you in the future:D

Ha Ha. Need to get the reps in advance of the Christmas beers.

Funny thing was it felt like 3am, but was probably more like 8pm, ran into a friend of mine, must have looked the worse for wear at that stage as he wasn't really entertaining my nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

The famous red lipstick :D

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Met some real Boards legends and a fantastic bunch of ex-novices.
    Ah stop, don't tell everyone or they'll all want to meet me;)

Nice resting heart rate the next morning. That peeeno griiiigo's great stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

martyboy48 wrote: »
    The famous red lipstick :D

I'd forgotten about this until some bastard sent me a picture yesterday.

By the way ososlo you were telling everyone I was "sweet". Thanks for that there's always a first ;)

I'd forgotten about this until some bastard sent me a picture yesterday.

By the way ososlo you were telling everyone I was "sweet". Thanks for that there's always a first ;)

ha ha.. Well I knew you all of 5 mins and you were asking Gavlor to buy me a drink
    with meno's 50
    so that was pretty darn sweet :)
    Plus I need to keep you sweet;)

Thursday 30 October
    5 miles

AIS, LM
    Horrible sh*tty morning and then on my run I nearly got knocked over by a stupid car that had tried to get through an orange light, didn't make it, and and then proceeded to back itself really bloody fast, back into the line of traffic (green man green) but ended up backing into me instead. It actually tipped off me very briefly. I was too shocked to stop and give the driver any grief as I just wanted to get to the other side safely as it was a very busy junction (Whitehall). Horrible shock to the system and real wake up call as to the danger of running across busy roads on winter nights. I was really well lit up with hi-via thingy on top an my shorts are fluorescent too. Had to sit on the path for a few minutes to regain my composure before plodding on again. Thankfully no damage done. Rest of the run went fine. Enjoyed it after a bit once I'd calmed down.

Left out the strides as it was a bit slippy on Griffith Ave and I'd had enough excitement for one night.
    5 miles at 9:38min/mile

Friday 31 October
    55 mins w/35 min tempo

Warm up fine. Tempo felt sluggish from the start and I knew it was slow even though I wasn't looking at watch. Very tired after a nightmare last night where I was in an army hospital with loads of people around me with scabs all over their bodies being tested for Ebola. Turns out none of them had it except me (I had no scabs) and I had to stay and live in the camp forever... which I wasn't best pleased about :) so woke up feeling shattered and maybe that had something to do with my sluggishness on the run. Sometimes nightmares can take more out of me than not sleeping at all. First half of tempo was a real slogfest and I considered canning it. Felt a lot better for the second half but then the damn stitch returned. Hadn't eaten for 4 hours:confused:. Worked with it for 5 mins and it eventually went but it slowed me a lot. Tempo worked from 9 pace to 8:27 so slower than recent efforts. Oh well, next one will be better.
    6.02 miles @ 9:09 avg pace

October total: 182 miles (highest this year)
    Roll on November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Perfect Halloween post, talk about getting into the spirit! Cars trying to kill you and zombie ebola camp nightmares. If that wasn't enough 182 miles to top you off. Scary stuff :eek: :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

(green man green)

Is he ever any other colour? :pac::pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement