Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Be still my beating heart

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Is he ever any other colour? :pac::pac:

lol and I haven't even started on the pinot grigio yet tonight:D

Saturday 1 November
    am 36 mins easy

AIS, LM pre run
    No ebola camp nightmares although I was thinking that if they allowed me run in the camp it mightn't be too bad at all:) On a similar topic actualy I remember speaking to someone a few months back who works in a prison and I asked him do people run much in prison. He said that yes they do and he's known guys that even trained for marathons while in prison by running laps in the yard and training on treadmill. Interesting... Must talk to him about it again.
    3.69 miles @ 9:53 avg
    Myrtl post run

pm 35 mins easy w/6 x 25 sec strides
    AIS LM pre run
    3.59 miles @ 9:48 avg

Sunday 2 November
    90 mins run w/10 mins @ 10k effort in 2nd half & 5 x 45 sec strides
    AIS, LM pre run
    I've been a bit concerned for the last few days with my running to be very honest. Even though I don't clock watch on the run, the paces when I review them later are a bit slower than they should be. I've chatted with the boss about it all and we decided that we'd do next week as planned but keep a close eye on stuff and back off with intensity for a while if things don't improve, maybe doing just one session each week.
    The thing worrying me the most was the stitches. They were ruining a lot of my runs where I had to put in any effort and it was very disheartening. I don't know what to put it down to. I have been a bit stressed all week and I did have a pretty bad hangover from Monday and sleep as usual has been poor and disturbed. I have dropped a few too many lbs too quickly I think too. Not intentionally at all but appetite not great all week. I'm a bit out of synch or something.

Today was a different story:D Great sleep and no crazy nightmares!
    Warm up fine even though it was extremely windy. Breathing good. Legs great. Then into the tempo. I decided today to really really try and relax and just try to enjoy the feeling of running faster. Really focused on relaxing every part of me, head to toe. Hands relaxed. Between shoulders relaxed. I also planned a route in PP where I wouldn't have to cross roads with traffic as that always throws me off course mentally and physically.
    Really happy with 10k effort splits (run strictly by feel). 8:09, 7:55 (pace). Happy out. Not a sign of a stitch and felt great after the 10k pace portion. Took a few mins to get the breath back fully and onto the 45 sec 5k effort strides. LOVED these. Found the last 2 very hard last week but could have done 10 today. I'm not supposed to concern myself with the short stride efforts but I did hit lap on the watch to know when the 45 secs were up so I do have a record of them so might aswell post them:
    7:29, 8:05, 7:19, 7:06, 7:37
    Effort was even but some were into crazy wind, some were slight declines etc etc etc
    9:48 miles at 9:30 pace

39 miles weekly total
    Missed 2 runs :( damn drinking.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Great when it comes together.
    On the prison thing I remember hearing an interview with Nicky Kelly http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicky_Kelly who trained for the marathon when he was locked up. They did laps of the yard in Mount Joy:eek:

Monday 3 November
    50 mins recovery at 10:38 pace

AIS pre run
    Was in a rush to fit this in so didn't record anything at the time about it, hence, can't really remember anything about it except that I kept it extremely slow to let the adaptations take place from the session the previous day.

Headed off to Enfield in the afternoon for a night in a fab hotel with a couple of much older colleagues. They did their generations proud with the amount of booze they managed to consume... Great fun and games ensued and the night finished off with a bottle of brandy. Why do old people feel the need to drink brandy at the end of a night:confused: To aid digestion my arse!

Tuesday 4 November
    Said old people had a lovely peaceful nights of sleep whereas Ososlo had brandy heart palpatations all night and no sleep :(

Off to the spa in the hotel this morning. I've never been in a Spa before and it's not my idea of fun but there was a massage offered so I thought that couldn't do any harm to give my bits and bobs a once-over. Before I was ever in a Spa I had a feeling I'd hate the whole experience. Now I know I hate spas. Pan-pipe music everywhere you went, I fcuking hate pan pipes! People lolling around in robes drinking weird looking concoctions and there's this enforced air of 'RELAXATION'. If there's one thing that makes me feel tense, it's enforced relaxation!

Masseuse was actually ok and did some deep tissue massage on my neck, back, glutes and calfs. She had a good old go digging her elbows into my sore spots and reduced me almost to tears which is all good:) But then she starts stroking my fecking hands and feet:eek: (NOBODY is allowed near my feet, no matter how much I like them ;). I just couldn't bear it I was so ticklish. I was so tensed up trying not to laugh for the rest of it, it undid all the work she had done on the knots in my neck and back:o. Then I got this fit of the giggles so she finally finished the faffing about with her patting and stroking etc and released me from the clutches of RELAXATION.. Hurt me as much as you want but whatever you do, DON'T TICKLE ME:D
    She did tell me I have lovely skin and she could tell that I drink lots of water :) and that my legs in general were in very good condition but I'm carrying the weight of the world on (between) my shoulders:(
    Delighted when it was over and outa the place where I could finally relax properly on the drive home. Hangover a bit better but still some residual brandy burps. Back to Dublin, back to reality in the pm.

3 x 8mins at 5k effort off 5min rec. Benchmark session. Week 1.
    AIS, LM
    Was gonna skip this until tomorrow as I just wasn't sure how it'd go with the hangover and lack of sleep. Made a deal with myself that I'd do the first rep and if I wasn't dying I'd keep going.
    I have to say it wasn't TOO bad. It was hard, but manageably so. I haven't run anything faster than 8 minute pace for more than a few minutes for months.
    5k pb is 7:59 pace.

1st 8 mins: 7:56
    2nd 8 mins: 7:50
    3rd 8 mins: 7:58
    Stitch reared its head towards end of 2nd rep and was hovering around a little bit for most of the 3rd rep but I won the battle today again so I'm over the moon about that. I took a 20 second walk recovery at the start of each break to get my breath back but jogged on then at an ok pace. Felt a tiny bit sick at the end of the last rep but was grand within a few seconds. I did lose a bit of concentration towards the end of the 3rd rep and it shows in the pace. I need to work on this for next week.
    Felt really good and happy with myself when finished:)
    7 miles @ 9:16min/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Any races coming up?

• Advertisement

Any races coming up?

Hey CJ yes I'm planning on a 10k this month and possibly another in December. Not sure what ones yet. Shopping around atm...

Wednesday 5 November
    50 mins recovery

AIS, LM pre run
    Not sure what was wrong with me today but I was falling asleep all day. I felt drugged, it was weird... Run was enjoyable but a little sluggish so listened to the body and didn't do anything too exciting
    50 mins at 10:15min/mile

Thursday 6 November
    AIS pre run

40 min tempo (10mile-10k effort)
    Good sleep and not a bad day :)
    13 min w/u
    Tempo: 8:39, 8:34, 8:37, 8:25, 8:20 (pace)
    Delighted with this. While I was working hard it was manageable and I could keep it up for another good while without dying a death.
    There is a big difference between this and the last tempo session I did last week which was very slow and the first mile was only at 9min pace for the same effort and I only managed to work down to to 8:27 pace.
    I also ran a teeny tiny 10k pb tonight. Current pb is 53:31 and when I saw the watch tonight at 6.2 miles it said 53:24. Not much of a pb I know but it did include a 13 min slow warmup as I said. There is probably a faster 10k pb segment in there if I was clever enough to work it out:)
    cooldown, 9:17, 10:25
    7 miles at 8:53min/mile
    Happy out with how things are going. Maybe it's got something to do with the recent crest load sessions I've been doing which are proving to be quite popular these days :)
    Can't wait to do a fecking 10k race now and it's a long time since I've said that or felt that way. I'm RARING to go. Tried to enter that Run in the Dark thing but it's sold out. I'll find something:)

edit: no stitch during run but got one when finished....but it wasn't bad at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice work.

Aware 10k on Dec 14 maybe? Much better than RITD I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Nice progression through the tempo and strong finish Boss.

Ticking along nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

There aren't many 10ks about this time of year.
    The Aware one would be very hilly....

There is a 5 mile option in Clontarf on 29th though. It's very flat and given that it avoids the beach it should be fast. Worth a thought?

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Nice work.

Aware 10k on Dec 14 maybe? Much better than RITD I'd imagine.

yes the reason I wanted to do it was because it's soon and I want something sooner if possible. But thanks!
    menoscemo wrote: »
    There aren't many 10ks about this time of year.
    The Aware one would be very hilly....

There is a 5 mile option in Clontarf on 29th though. It's very flat and given that it avoids the beach it should be fast. Worth a thought?
    Cheers Meno that sounds like a damn good alternative actually! And it's over one mile shorter to have to race:)
    Appreciate that as wouldn't have thought of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Clontarf is great for training, but not for racing tho IMO. Too windy. Hate to say it cos I run that stretch at least twice a week and I love the surrounds. Terrible course for racing though.

Friday 7 November 2014
    Nada. I'm turning into a total waster. One day off last week, another this week. what's the world coming to at all:confused:

Saturday 8 November 2014
    35 mins recovery

Yeah you might ask, what was she recovering from? Not running, that's for sure:)
    Today shoulda been a 2 x 35 min but I could barely manage one run. On the booze again last night. Fun was had but it's time to lay off it again now for a while:).
    Had to babysit last night with rotten hangover. I put the kid to bed and then the poor thing says to me "but what about my bottle? And my soother? And brushing my teeth? And going to the loo?" I don't think I'll be asked back in a hurry! Note to self - don't attempt to be Mary Poppins when hungover.

Sunday 9 November
    90 mins run w/12 mins @ 10k effort in 2nd half & 6 x 45 sec strides

AIS, LM pre run
    Good enough sleep last night. Still feeling a bit tired though. Ever so slight sore throat (not hugely surprising due to recent shenanigans) so I'll keep an eye on that.
    Warm up grand but a tad slower than I felt it would be. Went into Farmleigh for a bit which I've never done before except for a race. Don't know why, but I'll certainly start incorporating it into my routine from now on.
    Felt really good on the 12 mins at 10k effort. All done by feel and I was actually really enjoying it and was going to extend it out to 15 mins but wasn't sure how that would go down!
    8:16, 7:59(pace for 4mins)
    Recovered almost immediately from the 12 min effort so only took maybe a minute of a jogging break and into the 5k effort strides.
    7:17, 8:02, 7:43, 8:02, 7:11, 7:22 (am allowed to push the last 2 past 5k effort if feeling good which I was today). Yeah they're all over the shop pace-wise but the effort felt similar for the first 4. I really noticed that I recovered almost immediately from each rep today and only really needed a few moments to recover fully but breathing in general today was A1 Sharon :)
    10 miles @ 9:43min/mile
    Good week in terms of quality but not quantity and a couple of really enjoyable sessions both running and otherwise :)

38 miles weekly total (missed quite a few doubles which couldn't be helped. Back on track from tomorrow. My mileage should be closer to 50mpw so hope to achieve that next week.)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Murph_D wrote: »
    Clontarf is great for training, but not for racing tho IMO. Too windy. Hate to say it cos I run that stretch at least twice a week and I love the surrounds. Terrible course for racing though.

Yes I would tend to agree, was going to do Clontarf as my first race after DCM14 but had to choice between that and going to Liverpool. I picked Liverpool as the weather on that route can be an issue, in saying that for the 5 mile option it would not be so bad.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Yes I would tend to agree, was going to do Clontarf as my first race after DCM14 but had to choice between that and going to Liverpool. I picked Liverpool as the weather on that route can be an issue, in saying that for the 5 mile option it would not be so bad.

yeah I'm gone off the idea:(
    I might go to Liverpool with you:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Ososlo wrote: »
    yeah I'm gone off the idea:(
    I might go to Liverpool with you:p

As Dub says I think the 5 mile route is fine. It is just the out to just before the sand and then back again. Those are the two easiest parts of the HM course, I definitely wouldn't back the HM as an easy course but the 5mile should be easier than anything in the PP.

menoscemo wrote: »
    As Dub says I think the 5 mile route is fine. It is just the out to just before the sand and then back again. Those are the two easiest parts of the HM course, I definitely wouldn't back the HM as an easy course but the 5mile should be easier than anything in the PP.

Ok I've changed my mind back again:D I'm very easily persuaded:o

Typical woman....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

Having run both there's no comparison between the routes. I'll never run the HM again but the 5 mile is a great little race. It's flat and avoids the beach which is the worst part of the HM

Monday 10 November
    AIS, LM
    am: 35 min easy
    Crisp autumnal morning. Kept it very easy but had a 3 minute pickup towards the end.
    10:08, 10, 9:41, 8:16 (3mins)10:06

pm: 35 mins easy w/6x25 sec strides
    AIS, LM
    Wonderfully wild night being bashed about by the elements. Was almost swept off my feet at one point!
    Some of the strides were into the wind so it was quite comical trying to work up any speed :)
    35 mins @ 9:49min/mile
    Myrtl after

Tuesday 11 October
    20 x 1 min off 30 sec rec

Feeling sluggish all day probably due to the sleeping tablet I took last night. It's rare I take them these days but really needed to ensure I slept well as I had a 5.5 hour vimp meeting today so had to be on top of my game.
    A long day ensued with next to no hydration and a lot of stress so while it was great to finally get out for this run, I was feeling a bit drained and sluggish.
    Forgot to ask the boss what effort I should be doing these reps at so just went hard but not very hard so about 5k effort. Paces checked afterwards varied from 7:30s to 8:20s and I blasted the last 2 as fast as I could and they came in at 7:16 and 6:57 pace.
    5.94 miles total

double tomorrow and fun session on Thursday.... :)
    No day is ever boring. There's always a little something to keep me stimulated:D

• Advertisement

WEdnesday 12 November
    AIS, LM pre run
    35 min run w/3min pickup
    Druggy run. On sleeping tab and strong painkillers last night. This combo does not make for a fast run the next morning. Only really started getting into it towards the end where I did 3 mins at 10k effort (8:16) which was fun.

pm 35 min run w/6x25 sec strides
    AIS, LM
    Nothing much to say. Nice and cold. Not feeling very sharp myself though :( but still an enjoyable little run.

Thursday 13 November
    LM, AIS (did them in the wrong order by mistake. Losing it!)
    3 x (6x30 sec off jog back rec) 5 mins rec between sets
    Pistol did this last night at 3k-5k effort, but after checking my notes I saw that I was to do it at mile effort so not sure if one of us did it wrong!
    FREEZING cold hands all night even with my gloves on!

2 mile progressive warmup, 10:08, 9:37
    REALLY enjoyed this. I really get a buzz from running at a faster pace and did a few of the reps too fast as I was having so much fun:D. I know the pace doesn't matter and it's all about effort on these but I am dead chuffed with the splits and when a slow coach like me sees a '6' on the clock for any amount of time it's time to celebrate :D
    I won't put down all the splits but most were in the 6:50s with the fastest one being 6:38 and slowest 7:07. This was thoroughly enjoyable though and while I did tire towards the end of each set, I didn't lose focus or pace much and the 5mins between each set was too much. I was raring to go after about 2 mins.
    I was doing these in the dark at a very quiet spot to the side/behind Homebase in Northwood. I took a bit of a silly chance on the last few reps of the 3rd set when a man with an alsatian went ahead of me down the dark path. I didn't want to lose momentum and do the rep in a different direction so I proceeded to run down the dark path towards him. Obviously I'm still here to tell the story so nothing happened to me but I do need to be more careful as he could have dragged me off and murdered me or worse and nobody would be any the wiser for a long time as it's such a quiet spot. Lesson learned? Probably not:o
    Fun fun fun session! Can't wait to do it again!!!!

Myrtl after run
    6.7 miles total
    easy tomorrow and might do longer run Saturday

Pistol did this last night at 3k-5k effort, but after checking my notes I saw that I was to do it at mile effort so not sure if one of us did it wrong!

Maybe your getting faster and I'm getting slower ;-) I think we both did them as instructed. I was told to aim for that pace to get the hang of them which I did.

Friday 14 November
    AIS pre run (no time for the other 'stuff')
    50 min easy run
    Long boring day at "work" so couldn't wait to get out for a little jog. Net downhill to get the car from Santry, through Beaumont, down Collins Ave and down Griffith Ave.

Saturday 15 November
    AIS, LM pre run
    35 mins w/3 min pickup
    Feeling pretty dreadful starting out! Not sure if coming down with something or perhaps it was the few glasses of wine last night. Will keep an eye on things. Felt a bit better as the run went on and was happy to up the pace at 27 mins in for 3 mins at 10k effort (8:19 pace). Finished feeling a little better than when I started!
    35 mins @ 9:47min/mile

pm
    5 mile run w/6x25 sec strides

Jeepers what a difference 7 hours can make! Was feeling pretty horrid all day. Weak and dizzy spells every time I got off the couch and sniffley. Was gonna scrap the evening run but said I'd go out and see how I felt and turn back for home if I wasn't feeling well (how many times have we all said that to ourselves:rolleyes:). Well, slap me silly and call me Susan but I felt super duper on this run and was running 9:30 min/miles and they felt like 10:30min/mile effort:D Maybe my watch is broken! Went a bit further than the usual 35mins as I was enjoying it so much. Not a breath out and lovely and crisp and cool, just how I like it. Zipped along nicely for the strides.
    Got myself some flashing green and flashing red safety lights so if anyone sees a Christmas tree with a head and arms and legs running around Dublin 9 tis me! Might add a few baubles come December:D
    5 miles @ 9:35min/mile
    long run with 'stuff' tomorra!

Sunday 16 November
    90 mins w/12 mins @ 10k effort & 6 x 45 sec strides @ 5k effort

A good solid 7 hours sleep, woke for an hour and then another hour just to top up the reserves:D

Fantabulous morning in the Phoneix Park. Absolutely perfect running weather. Cool and no wind a little bit of sunshine to make me even happier! One really could not ask for anything more.
    Wore short and singlet and gloves with my Brooks ST5s and of course a smile:)
    Warm up at 10:12, 9:47, 9:47, 9:55
    10k race effort at 8:11, 8:01 (pace). No watch checking so just stayed focused and relaxed and really enjoyed it. Ready to increase this portion in the long run next week to 15 mins @ 10k effort.
    Like last week I felt recovered after about a minute jogging after the 10k portion so into the 5k effort strides.
    6:57 (yeah right Ososlo, that's your 5k pace in your dreams)
    7:43 (more like it... hopefully...)
    7:54
    7:32
    6:57 (allowed to go harder on the last 2 reps if feeling good which I was)
    6:39 (ran as hard as I could. Loved the feeling of really pushing my speed to the limit. Reminded me of the 800m time trial I did a few months ago. Really wanna give this another shot before the year is out to see if I'm any way closer to the sub 3 mins.)
    Cooldown miles at 9:29, 9:54
    Delighted with this run. Felt really strong during and after and would have liked to continue for longer but must obey The Master;)
    10.20 miles at 9:31 pace

Weekly total 50 miles
    7 days running
    10 runs (3 double days)
    2 x sessions
    Longer run with stuff
    Legs feel great
    1537 miles for the year
    Roll on next week.................................................

Monday 17 November
    50 mins easy

Was in Kilkenny. Got dropped at the edge of town and ran home. Very hilly but enjoyable run but have to be very careful on those tiny little windy roads as the locals drive far too fast so couldn't quite relax fully.

Tuesday 18 November
    10 x 3 mins at 10k effort off 30 sec jog recoveries

Straight from Kilkenny to Phoenix Park so no AIS. Shoulda done the Lunge Matrix in the park before the run but I was bloody freezing so just wanted to start jogging immediately to keep warm.

2 mile warm up: 9:52, 9:40

First 3 min reps: 8:20, 8:16, 8:18 (kept an eye on pace on the watch for the first few to ensure I didn't go too fast and blow up later in the session. Going on my last 5k race the equivalent 10k pace would be 8:18)

Ran the rest of the 3 min reps by feel, ignoring watch: 8:07, 8:18, 8:12, 8:13, 8:12, 8:07, 7:38

Interesting to note that if I had been clock watching for the full session I would have done them all around 8:18 but running by feel I did them all faster bar 1.
    I really enjoyed this session and maybe a little too much so perhaps I could have pushed myself a little more. I was able to appreciate the breathtaking autumnal scenery around the park during the full session so maybe that's a sign I could have run a bit harder!
    Was allowed to hammer the last 3 min rep if feeling good which I was so pushed it hard and enjoyed it, 7:38 pace. The 30 second jogging recoveries were sufficient and I was looked forward to pushing on again for the next rep.

cool down: 9:34, 10 pace
    7.51 miles at 9:04 pace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

You'll be a 'feely runner' before you know it :-) Good going there!

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    You'll be a 'feely runner' before you know it :-) Good going there!

Yeah I know! I'm running by feel most of the time now (was previously a complete slave to the watch) and am really appreciating the benefits. I like your 'organic' approach:D
    I still love to have my stats to review afterwards though:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

I presume the boss man will give you feedback
    My tuppenceworth- it looks based on those splits that you might be a bit generous with your 10km pace......
    ( I could be completely wrong on this but I'm presuming you're heading into anaerobic territory with the pace and the short recovery so the lactic should have been building up making each of the reps progressively a bit more difficult until you get to the last one or two which are an absolute killer- but I'm no expert so ask the main man)

Nice session though regardless- good to do those paces and finish strongly

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    I presume the boss man will give you feedback
    My tuppenceworth- it looks based on those splits that you might be a bit generous with your 10km pace......
    ( I could be completely wrong on this but I'm presuming you're heading into anaerobic territory with the pace and the short recovery so the lactic should have been building up making each of the reps progressively a bit more difficult until you get to the last one or two which are an absolute killer- but I'm no expert so ask the main man)

Nice session though regardless- good to do those paces and finish strongly

Thanks and hope your training is going well :)
    I am possibly a little conservative on these longer rep sessions as I just don't know how I'm going to feel later in the workout so rather error on side of caution early on.

If interested here are the notes accompanying the workout details. It explains it better than I'm capable of doing!!!!

10x 3 min. runs starting (reps 1-3) @ Lactate Threshold Velocity (LTV) before picking it up slightly to about your 10k pace. If you feel good at the end give the final rep a blast.

This workout provides 30min. of running at LTV +3-5%. The recoveries are short in comparison to the run periods (1/6th). This type of workout is sometimes referred to as high density. It’s imperative that you stay within the pace guidelines on high density sessions, since going too fast with very little rest would adversely affect relaxation and economy. If you go too fast, you’ll find that when you get to reps 7/8 you’ll be shafted and have to bin the session. These sessions are deposits – you shouldn’t be knackered at the end – just pleasantly shagged.
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Interesting to see the instructions- thanks-
    Pleasantly shagged- ha- he hasn't changed:D

Wednesday 19 November
    AIS, Lunge Matrix
    5 miles easy
    Easy run to get the car. Net downhill. Absolutely lashing with rain so lots of splishing and splashing, lovely jubley.
    9:44 pace

Thursday 20 November
    AIS, Lunge Matrix
    2 x 20 min tempo (5min jog recovery)
    A few months back the word 'tempo' used to strike the fear of the gods into me. I'd be worrying about it all day. Today I was sitting in the office longingly thinking about it since morning and how I couldn't wait get out and attack it! Oh how times have changed! I think I like them now because I feel generally stronger as a runner and I have a bit more confidence and as I'm not clock-watching I don't have constant pressure on me for long periods so I'm running in a far more relaxed state which in turn loosens the shackles a bit and frees me to run a bit faster.
    Warm up: 10:08. 9:45
    Tempo first 20 mins: 8:23, 8:20, 8:25 (pace)
    Tempo second 20 mins: 8:36, 8:10, 8:20 (pace)
    The tempo was a bit of work alright however I did enjoy it and could have kept it up for a lot longer. I felt nice and relaxed and breathing was good. Conditions were really in my favour tonight too.
    I'm very happy with that effort. I definitely felt "pleasantly shagged" after the second tempo :D but recovered within a few seconds into the cool down. It was such a delightfully beautiful foggy night I decided to add on an extra little bit of time to the cool down and I had no time constraints so it was nice to take advantage of that.
    cooldown: 9:43, 9:32, 9:47 (pace)
    Myrtl post run
    9 miles @ 9:04 avg pace

Friday 21 November
    50 mins easy/recovery

Kept this very handy as sleep was abysmal last night and I was all over the shop with tiredness.
    Thoroughly enjoyable once the effort was kept super easy.
    Didn't bother throwing in the strides as felt it was pointless pushing my body to any extent today.
    5 miles @ 10:18 avg pace

Saturday 22 November
    50 mins easy

Perfect running weather again today. Today should be 2 x 35 mins but I was enjoying this a lot so extended it a bit and added in a 3 min pick up @ 8:08 (10k effort) towards the end.
    Ososlo Demesne is in a desperate state after this morning's x-country! Looks like it would have been a lot of fun racing in that muck!:pac: Poor sods!
    Nose and eyes watering/streaming a lot these days when running in cold air and very sore from rubbing. Seems to be getting worse lately. Must chat to a chemist about it some time.
    5.29 miles @ 9:38avg pace

pm 34 mins easy w/6x25 sec strides
    Lovely night. Would be a shame not to take advantage of it. The most effortlessly effortless easy run I think I've ever done.
    3.68 miles @ 9:15 avg pace
    Just under 9 miles for the day
    longer run tomorrow with spice!

Sunday 23 November
    Plan: 90 mins w/15mins @10k & 6 x 45 sec @5k
    AIS and Lunge Matrix pre run
    No sleep due to girl trouble last night :(... very bad stomach pains so wasn't sure how the run would go. Warm up was fine but when I upped the effort for the 10k portion I felt dreadful and like fainting and sick so knocked it on the head and headed home.
    am: 5.15 miles @ 9:42 avg pace

Being the glutton for punishment that I am and wanting to tick all the boxes for my sessions for this week I headed out tonight to attempt this again. Same story as above. Running slowly is fine but injecting any sort of pace just wasn't working today. Shame as I was really looking forward to this run today. Oh well... Can't win em all eh? First bailed session in a few months so can't really complain too much I guess.
    pm: 7 miles @ 9:50 avg pace

52 miles for the week
    missed one double and the quality portion of the long run. Very happy with how everything else went.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Good stuff, the miles are adding up nicely...

Good stuff, the miles are adding up nicely...

Thanks B. Great to be able to increase intensity along with mileage without even the hint of a niggle! I guess all that stretching and lunging is worth the extra effort! It's funny how I don't even think about whether or not to do all the ancillary stuff before and after running now. It's automatic!

• Advertisement

Monday 24 November
    7.2 miles easy/recovery effort

Slept for about 9 hours! Kept things super easy today as stomach is still a bit delicate.
    Parked in St. Anne's and went for a little tour of the area and down to the seafront but almost got lost in a housing estate on the way!
    Most enjoyable little run.
    Was actually sorry I didn't wear long sleeves though as I remained fairly cold for the whole run as the effort was so easy. Thankfully I did have my gloves on though as my hands are always my coldest parts.

Not sure how the rest of the week is going to go. My da was taken to hospital a few hours ago and I really know very little about what's going on so more than likely I'll drive down in the morning. Obviously running may have to take a back seat so will play things by ear regarding my session tomorrow.
    10:05 avg pace

Hope all is well with your da.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Sorry to hear Ososlo, hope they take good care of him in the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

+1, hope he's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Hope your Dad is ok. Take care.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Hope all is OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Best wishes for your Dad I hope all works out ok.

Really impressed by your progress milage and pace, your posts are always inspiring , keep it up.

I hope your father is ok.

I love running around St Anne's and out onto the cost lovely part of the city and I train a lot around there.

Hope everything is ok A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

+1, I hope he is going to be ok

Thanks for the kind messages friends:) Things are looking ok for me da. So far so good ...

Tuesday 25 November
    A lot of driving and hanging out in hospital so no time to run. First day off running in 19 days.

Wednesday 26 November
    AIS, Lunge Matrix pre run
    2 x 6 x 35 sec strides at mile effort (jog back rec) & 3 mins @ 5k
    Didn't read the instructions on the tin properly for this one and the strides were supposed to be 40 seconds and not 35. The extra 5 seconds however wouldn't have posed any problems tonight :)
    Paces for the strides were:
    6:48, 6:47, 7:26, 6:44, 6:47, 6:36
    6:47, 6:35, 6:52, 6:55, 6:31, 6:31
    I know I did some of them faster than I should (mile effort) but to be honest with you I was just really enjoying the sensation of moving a lot faster than usual and got a real buzz out of it. I didn't like taking the day off yesterday either so I think I was also trying to make up for lost time and my legs felt really fresh and very springy tonight. Loved this little session. Had a 3 minute jog recovery and then did 3 mins at 5k effort which turned out to be 7:43 pace. Felt good throughout. 2 mile cool down.
    7 miles @ 9:45 avg pace
    Myrtl post run

Nice not to have to do 3 sets ;-)

What's your 5k pb? I think you are going to surprise yourself at your next 5k, jingle bells is it?

What's your 5k pb? I think you are going to surprise yourself at your next 5k, jingle bells is it?

Slow:) Very slow:o 24:48. Have something on the cards before Jingle Bells but things are a bit up in the air on a personal level at the moment so we'll see what the next days and weeks bring!
    I do feel I've made good gains recently and have never felt stronger and fitter so should get a couple of good pbs before xmas.

Thursday 27 November
    35 mins easy w/6x25 sec strides
    AIS, Lunge Matrix pre run
    With half an eye on the Clontarf 5 mile race on Saturday I kept this easy and short. Pleasant night but feeling a bit lethargic if I'm honest with the recent stressful stuff going on.

Friday 28 November
    Rest
    Wasn't sure if I was going to be able to do the race the next day until the evening when I got the go ahead. Didn't have to travel to Kilkenny today so all systems go. Was stressed and tired so decided to give the body a rest and take the day off. I've never not run the day before a race before. I always do about 3 super slow miles with strides but didn't think that'd benefit me today.

Saturday 29 November
    Clontarf 5 Mile Race - AKA Clontarf 5.3 Mile Race:rolleyes::mad:
    Old 5 Mile pb: 42:22
    New 5 Mile pb: 40:32
    Instructions for this was to enjoy it and not stress about it and put in a good effort and not to go eyeballs out. That suited me perfectly fine considering the week I've had.

Breakfast of banana and wholemeal bagel, a tiny bit of water and a half cuppa coffee. Then went to put my face on and shock horror I couldn't find my make-up bag anywhere:eek: Going around like a headless chicken trying to find it did not help stress levels this morning. I NEVER go out in public without my face on. I don't wear loads or anything but I have to do the basics. "She has little to worry about" you must be thinking!
    Found some old crappy stuff and put together half a face but definitely not looking my best:(
    AIS before I left.
    Drove to Clontarf and found parking easily enough. I'm really bad when driving somewhere new and trying to find parking and I can't actually parallel park:o:o so I'm always limited as to where I can put the car. Eventually found a spot up a leafy suburb about a mile away from the start which was perfect.
    Jogged down to registration and picked up the number and queued for toilets. All seamlessly easy. Great organisation.
    Jogged back to the car to compose myself. Nerves were starting to get to me. I didn't have time the last few days to get nervous about this race but they were starting to kick in now in a big way. I did consider not doing it yesterday with everything I had going on and using that as an excuse but to be very honest I felt if circumstances allowed at all I needed to do this as I feel I'm developing this fear of racing due to my pathetic 5k attempts over the summer which really knocked my confidence.

Whilst back at the car and trying to compose myself and deal with the nerves I made a decision which I'm sure I'll be derided for and probably rightly so. I thought to myself, what would make me less nervous for this race? The answer was to wear my headphones to distract myself:eek:. I was torn whether to do this or not. I haven't worn headphones in a race since my first 2 5ks. Feck it, I said I'd wear them. Am I happy I did in hindsight? Yes. It made the whole experience much more relaxed for me and calmed the nerves. I kept the volume low and due to where I started (at the back) I was passing runners the whole way and very very few overtook me so I don't think I wasn't causing any problems to other runners. If it was a road race I probably would not have made the decision to wear them today.
    Awaits onslaught..................:o

Jogged back to the startline, went to loo and did about 3 miles warm up in total with 6 x 20 sec strides. Fabulous morning for racing. Absolutely damn perfect.
    Headed to startline but everyone was moving backwards from the official start line towards Alfie Byrne road:confused::confused::confused: .
    Didn't know why the startline was moved and still don't. Someone told me after that race that they heard that the race was officially changed from a 5 mile race to a 8.5k race:confused: don't know if that's true or if some other mistake was made with the route for the 5 mile which extended it by a good bit.

First mile was a mess as paths were too narrow and everyone was in the wrong place as per usual. I started near the back with all the other headphone wearers as I felt that's where I belonged today due to my headphone-wearing status:D First mile weaving but I remained calm and only passed if it didn't stress me too much. Second mile was good as the crowds really dispersed so plenty of space for the rest of the race.
    I remained calm and relaxed for almost the whole race. I got into a nice rhythm (nice tempo effort). However I did develop a stitch about half way in so it was touch and go for a while and I did spend most of the rest of the race working to keep it under control which was a bit of a nuisance. When I started pushing the effort upwards, the stitch would get a bit worse and I'd feel a bit nauseous.
    What I really noticed in this race was how amazingly strong my legs felt. They wanted to take off for the whole race and never got tired.

Didn't look at the watch for the whole race but here are the splits:
    8:10
    8:03
    8:09
    8:09
    8:02 (5 mile time 40:32)
    .3 of a mile @ 7:59 pace
    *Finish time for 5.3 miles - 42:56 (ignoring this finish time for 5.3 miles on my watch as I didn't enter a 5.3 mile race, I entered a 5 Mile race:()
    I'd happily add on/take off 10/20/30 seconds to any race time due to GPS not measuring correctly but there is way too much of a discrepancy with the distance today.

So a good consistent effort. Not over the moon about the time or anything but for the effort I put in and the way I approached it I did ok and it's a decent pb. The thing I'm most pleased about today is that I had a good racing experience overall and am a huge step closer to conquering my fear of racing.
    I'm really disappointed it wasn't a proper 5 mile length race. So are they going to give us an official time for an 8.5k race or a 5 mile race? They can't give us a 5 mile time for a race that measured well over 5 miles. That'd be ridiculous. Time will tell...
    Did a few miles cooldown and watched some of the half marathoners on their last leg. Saw Mr & Mrs Marthastew pacing the 2 hours and doing an amazing job of getting their crew with them to push on for the sub 2.

Was half considering doing Jingle Bells next week. I'll talk to the boss. My training is more geared towards 10k stuff so maybe I'll just hold out for Raheny 5 or a 10k in January if I can find one and do a Parkrun as practice before xmas. Might give Poppintree a shot
    if I can find it and parking is easy
    :o

11 miles daily total

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement