Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Be still my beating heart

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Tut tut tut...
    What are you playing at doing a session while not feeling great and high on drugs :-D

If any of the novices did that last year you'd of given them 100 lines and detention :-D

Now, don't do that again :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Haha +100 to all the advice/giving out! We need and appreciate you more than the worms, ok?! I am surprised running is not on the dangerous substances list tbh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

So its time to let you in on a little secret I've been harbouring.
    You might not believe it but I may not actually be perfect! Astonishing news I know but there it is :) I have been known to do stupid things in the past.

I actually did a half marathon on strong painkillers before. The pain was too bad not to take them but I was all geared up to race. The first 10 miles I was floating along nicely. The last 3 miles were me struggling not to faint and get sick. It was a horrible experience. You'd think I'd have learned. .. rolling eyes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Ososlo wrote: »
    I have been known to do stupid things in the past.

Last night is the very recent past ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Did you get a telling off from The Boss?

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    Last night is the very recent past ;)

True for you sir. Somebody's on the ball this afternoon!

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Did you get a telling off from The Boss?

Naw sure he's off his head half the time ;)
    He claims it's the maca powder but I'm not so sure myself :)

Friday 9 January
    4.5 miles easy

Crazy crazy wind. Was seriously challenging and almost dangerous at times in unsheltered areas trying to stay upright! Did 3 miles of this with my sister who hasn't run in a few months so it was sssssllllloooooowwwwww to say the least, even for Ososlo - the Queen of Slow Running! If she had stopped talking so much about her love life and concentrated more on her running she might be able to run a tad faster:)

Saturday 10 January
    10 miles easy

Stupid wind was really annoying again today. I'm not one to complain normally about the weather conditions when running as I see it as a pointless exercise as I'm gonna do my run regardless but even I am getting annoyed by it at this stage. But not annoyed enough not to run :)
    This was with my brother in the Phoenix Park. Too slow for him although he didn't complain too much about the easy pace. Surprisingly he started to get tired at about 7 miles whereas I could have gone on for a lot longer so I guess all the miles I run must count for something!! Ran all the hard hills in the park which I've avoided for some time so even though it was all slow with no quality, at least I got a good workout with the inclines. So that's the last or second last run I'll do with my brother for at least another year as he returns to NZ in a few days...
    10 miles @ 9:30 avg pace

Sunday 11 January
    6.5 mile easy

Ring Road in KK on me tod. Nice run. Stitch for the first half mile but that was 'cause I stupidly ate only an hour before the run. Regulated the breathing and the stitch kindly left me to enjoy the rest of the run in peace. Lots of cyclists out and about and a few runners but none of them said hi :(
    9:42 avg pace

Weekly total: 58 miles (itching to get out for another 2 miles to make my first 60 mile week but I've had a couple of drinks this evening and a couple more will be had later so unless I've aspirations of targeting a wine mile later in the year, I think I'll have to give the 60 a miss for this week.
    Luckily tomorrow is the start of a new week so I'm looking forward to attacking it with renewed vigour and sobriety ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Friday 9 January
    4.5 miles easy

Crazy crazy wind. Was seriously challenging and almost dangerous at times in unsheltered areas trying to stay upright! Did 3 miles of this with my sister who hasn't run in a few months so it was sssssllllloooooowwwwww to say the least, even for Ososlo - the Queen of Slow Running! If she had stopped talking so much about her love life and concentrated more on her running she might be able to run a tad faster:)

This was with my brother in the Phoenix Park. Too slow for him although he didn't complain too much about the easy pace.

Maybe if you stopped talking to your brother about your love life and concentrated more on your running you might be able to run a tad faster...

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Do you enjoy running with your brother?

I know you normally prefer to run solo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

How would this wine mile work? Would you have to go through the entire bottle but up to you how much you drink after each lap? Sounds intriguing anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

adrian522 wrote: »
    How would this wine mile work? Would you have to go through the entire bottle but up to you how much you drink after each lap? Sounds intriguing anyway.

You could just get those small bottles(175ml)you get in pubs and the usual rules apply, one before each lap.....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Could be good fun watching people knock back those small wine bottles alright.

Do you enjoy running with your brother?

I know you normally prefer to run solo.

It is fun as a novelty/exception but I don't think I'd be into it all the time. He's naturally an awful lot faster than me (sub 18 5k), so I just felt a bit guilty about holding him back. Also, I'm not big into talking and running really. I like doing each activity separately!

I feel like puking even thinking about it tbh!
    You could just get those small bottles(175ml)you get in pubs and the usual rules apply, one before each lap.....

Sounds a bit more palatable! Could have a plate of crackers and cheese and maybe some olives on the side:D

Monday 12 January
    am:35 mins easy

Last run with my brother around Kilkenny before he returns to far flung fields. This was a 'Bridge Run' and encompassed the tasteful new bridge down the canal walk, the unsightly new blue plasticy bridge further up the river, and the building site for the new controversial, yet to be built bridge across the city. "They" seem to be going out of their way to destroy the beautiful city.

pm: Tempo session: 10 x 3 mins @ 45-50min race effort off 30 sec rec
    Some shocking and sad news brought me back to Dublin earlier than planned.
    I found myself with some time on my hands in the evening.
    Decided to head out for an easy 35 min, but after a mile I thought to myself - I slept well last night, I don't have a hangover!, it's not windy FOR ONCE, I have the time and it might take my mind off things, so maybe I'll give my tempo session a shot.
    Did this without looking at the watch and some of the reps should have been a bit faster. It was only 5 hours since my morning run so perhaps I know I shouldn't have done it so close to the morning run. I'm supposed to leave 8 hours between runs and I normally stick to that rule but sometimes when the opportunity presents itself one has to grasp it!

3 mins reps:
    8:15, 8:10, 8:08, 7:42, 8:14
    8:04, 8:03, 8:05, 7:54, 8:17

Paces from the last time I did this session:
    8:31, 8:11, 8:19, 8:12, 8:34
    8:11, 8:10, 8:18, 8:08, 8:04

Broke my 10k race pb on this run by a few secs:)
    Most of the session felt ok and i wasn't working hard until the last 2 reps when I did start to tire and was looking forward to the end. The wind behaved for the majority of the reps but did impact a little for some. The route had a few inclines and declines so that might account for the variance in pace also.
    Anyways happy enough with that as it does show improvement since I did the session for the first time about 5 weeks ago... even if it is a bit slower than I'd hoped.
    I did achieve that 'pleasantly shagged' feeling on completion:)
    AIS pre run and Myrtl post run
    6:46 miles @ 8:54 avg pace
    10 miles daily total

I might try and take 2 easy days before my next session.

Time for a 10k race?

Time for a 10k race?

Yip. Have one at the beginning of February. Looking forward to it!

Good stuff, should be a nice PB.

Enniscorthy?

Good stuff, should be a nice PB.

Enniscorthy?

Nope. Rathcoffey. Pb is 53:31 so aim is to go as much below 50 as I can. Not sure what's realistic yet and have almost a month of training to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Nope. Rathcoffey. Pb is 53:31 so aim is to go as much below 50 as I can. Not sure what's realistic yet and have almost a month of training to go.

All the cool kids are racing in Enniscorthy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

What's this nonsense with calling Kilkenny a city? ;)

What's this nonsense with calling Kilkenny a city? ;)
    I quite agree however, who am I or you to argue with King James the First!

yaboya1 wrote: »
    All the cool kids are racing in Enniscorthy ;)

They are? Like who?
    Sell it to me!
    Usually the coolest thing to do is what the majority is not doing ;)

They are? Like who?
    Sell it to me!
    Usually the coolest thing to do is what the majority is not doing ;)

You'll find out if you turn up.
    Re: selling it to you - €10 for a school hall full of food (race entry also included :pac:)

You'll find out if you turn up.
    Re: selling it to you - €10 for a school hall full of food (race entry also included :pac:)

I'm not into food that much :)
    I never understand the importance people place on it after races. Now if it was a free bar :D ...
    it is good value though! But further to drive

I'm not into food that much :)
    I never understand the importance people place on it after races. Now if it was a free bar :D ...
    it is good value though! But further to drive

I don't place that much importance on it, but I won't say no ;)
    Given the drive, a free bar would be of little use....

They are? Like who?

I'm probably running Rathcoffey. Even more of a reason for you to do it :) it's a very fast course. Flat as a pancake. Everybody raves about the bhaa k-club 10k course but I think Rathcoffey is as fast and maybe even a bit quicker.

Regards James the 1st. I pay no heed to monarchs!

I'm probably running Rathcoffey. Even more of a reason for you to do it :) it's a very fast course. Flat as a pancake. Everybody raves about the bhaa k-club 10k course but I think Rathcoffey is as fast and maybe even a bit quicker.

Regards James the 1st. I pay no heed to monarchs!

And they think all the cool people are going to Enniscorthy:rolleyes:
    Obviously Rathcoffey is where it's at people!

Yeah I read your comments on Rathcoffey in some old posts and it was one of the reasons I chose it. Sounds like a great race.
    They can all eat a hall full of cake Enniscorthy after the race and get fat while the cool cake-less people in Rathcoffey stay svelte and fabulous;)

• Advertisement

When is this race? The one on 7th Feb? Are you running Raheny as well or giving that a miss?

When is this race? The one on 7th Feb? Are you running Raheny as well or giving that a miss?

Yes that's the one adrian.
    Doing this instead of Raheny. I've been trying to find a suitable 10k for ages and this one fits the bill perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

And they think all the cool people are going to Enniscorthy:rolleyes:
    Obviously Rathcoffey is where it's at people!

Yeah I read your comments on Rathcoffey in some old posts and it was one of the reasons I chose it. Sounds like a great race.
    They can all eat a hall full of cake Enniscorthy after the race and get fat while the cool cake-less people in Rathcoffey stay svelte and fabulous;)

I was looking into rathcoffey myself....these recent posts aren't disuading me from the possibility of doing it!

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    I was looking into rathcoffey myself....these recent posts aren't disuading me from the possibility of doing it!

Great stuff!
    I might do a rece of the course this weekend or next, but from all accounts it sounds the business!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Ok, I have to ask... Where is Rathcoffey???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Peter Mooney gives a brief description & photos of last years race on his Flickr page if your interested.

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    Ok, I have to ask... Where is Rathcoffey???

To be honest, I'd never heard of it in my life until I saw AMK mention it in his log:o
    It's near Maynooth. Somewhere out that direction. I'll have fun getting lost trying to find it:D

Good to read you're feeling better. Now stop that silly superstitiousness and get that log started! I wanna see what you're up to:D I'm very very nosey inquisitive :)

tang1 wrote: »
    Peter Mooney gives a brief description & photos of last years race on his Flickr page if your interested.

Cheers tang! Heading off there now...

Rathcoffey had a decent spread too. Not sure about cake but I definitely didn't leave hungry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

I put a link to my garmin profile of the course in amk's log. ( on mobile so don't know how to repost it). Its between clane ,Celbridge and Maynooth, its easily accessible from the n4 if you take the kilcock exit and head for clane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I put a link to my garmin profile of the course in amk's log. ( on mobile so don't know how to repost it). Its between clane ,Celbridge and Maynooth, its easily accessible from the n4 if you take the kilcock exit and head for clane.

Eh... That really helps with location... Thanks... ;)

• Advertisement

thanks dave. I saw that link when you posted it.

Wednesday 14 January
    Rest
    Not intentional! I just couldn't run in it! I went out late when it was at its worst and was literally swept off my feet! For the first time since I started running the weather got the better of me:(

Thursday 15 January
    3 x (6x40 sec@ mile effort off jog back rec). 5 mins jog after 3 sets and then 4 mins @ 2 mile effort
    AIS, Lunge Matrix pre run
    The wind was so severe on the warm up that I started hyperventilating and I remembered this happening me a lot when I started running first. It hasn't happened in ages. Horrible feeling of not being able to catch my breath. I think I'll learn to run backwards and they I can always have the wind on my back :)
    7.03, 6.57, 7, 7.02, 6.27, 6.42
    6.49, 7.04, 7.01, 6.48, 6.41
    6.51, 7.06, 7.06, 7, 6.57, 6.59
    4 mins @ 7.11

Happy enough with that effort for today everything considered.
    RHR has been a bit high since xmas. I think it was due to all the drinking and late nights and having a slight cold and never giving myself an opportunity to rest and get rid of it. It was back down to 48 last night which I'm pleased about.
    9 miles total

Looking forward to the HEAE long run on Saturday or Sunday when the wind will have abated!
    Oh ****, forgot to do my myrtl....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Wednesday 14 January
    Rest
    Not intentional! I just couldn't run in it! I went out late when it was at its worst and was literally swept off my feet! For the first time since I started running the weather got the better of me:(

Last night was crazy all right - I got home from my run just before it kicked off (& got straight into my PJs :o). Thought the house was going to blow down. Good call on the rest day!
    RHR has been a bit high since xmas. I think it was due to all the drinking and late nights and having a slight cold and never giving myself an opportunity to rest and get rid of it. It was back down to 48 last night which I'm pleased about.
    Mine was really high too and no doubt for the same festive reasons :rolleyes:. It's back to normal now thankfully. I think it's a really good indicator of general well-being, I'm trying to pay more attention to it this year as part of the overall resolution to be more sensible.

was literally swept off my feet!

Some Romeos out in the bad weather?

Some Romeos out in the bad weather?

Oh dear, you found out the real reason I didn't run yesterday:o

Bungy Girl wrote: »

Mine was really high too and no doubt for the same festive reasons :rolleyes:. It's back to normal now thankfully. I think it's a really good indicator of general well-being, I'm trying to pay more attention to it this year as part of the overall resolution to be more sensible.
    Yeah I used to be really good at tracking it but got lazy over the last few months. Although to be honest, I really didn't want to know how high it was over the last few weeks. It's not as if it was going to stop me boozing!!!
    But that partying is all over now
    says she getting ready to hit the pub. But it's my brother's last night before
    he flies back to NZ in the morning
    :o
    I really need to learn to socialise without alcohol.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Yeah I used to be really good at tracking it but got lazy over the last few months. Although to be honest, I really didn't want to know how high it was over the last few weeks. It's not as if it was going to stop me boozing!!!
    But that partying is all over now
    says she getting ready to hit the pub. But it's my brother's last night before
    he flies back to NZ in the morning
    :
    I really need to learn to socialise without alcohol.:rolleyes:
    Yes you do, you should be more like me really!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Thursday 15 January
    3 x (6x40 sec@ mile effort off jog back rec). 5 mins jog after 3 sets and then 4 mins @ 2 mile effort
    AIS, Lunge Matrix pre run
    The wind was so severe on the warm up that I started hyperventilating and I remembered this happening me a lot when I started running first. It hasn't happened in ages. Horrible feeling of not being able to catch my breath. I think I'll learn to run backwards and they I can always have the wind on my back :)
    7.03, 6.57, 7, 7.02, 6.27, 6.42
    6.49, 7.04, 7.01, 6.48, 6.41
    6.51, 7.06, 7.06, 7, 6.57, 6.59
    4 mins @ 7.11

Happy enough with that effort for today everything considered.....

Are you happy??? I mean, are you really happy???
    Because I'm giving you a yellow card for not following instructions .... :D:D

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Are you happy??? I mean, are you really happy???
    Because I'm giving you a yellow card for not following instructions .... :D:D

Ah... I think I know what you mean now. I missed a rep! I did actually do 6 on the second set but didn't record it above :)
    Well spotted martyboy. Someone's paying attention!

Friday 16 January
    am: AIS, LM & 35 mins easy

Spent all day in bed! Was drinking until 1am this morning. Back on the prosecco I'm afraid:o Went to bed at 1, but didn't sleep at all :(. Had to get up to deliver my bro to the airport at 6am. Back in bed at 6:30am. Lay in bed until 12 but couldn't sleep. A complete and utter wreck all day and still couldn't sleep:(
    Enjoyed the little run despite the tiredness.

pm: AIS, LM & 50 mins easy

Duvet day continued with a vengeance with lunch delivered to my bed:) Watched crap tv all day. Mainly programmes about fat people losing weight. My favourite kind of programmes. Amazing what people can achieve when they really put their minds to it.

The slippy paths kept me nice and slow for both runs which is no harm at all.

8.5 miles total

Day 1 - no alcohol
    Let's see how many I can do. The aim is 3 weeks :) and then I'll get smashed in celebration:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement