Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Be still my beating heart

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

About time Ososlo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Thursday 9th January

Today was a sad day :( so only one thing for it:
    5.28 miles at 9:49 min/mile. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/427240326
    Pace all over the shop but sole purpose was to clear the head.

I've been awarded yet another contract for January which I'm delighted about but it means that the rest of the month is going to be hectic work-wise and I hope my running doesn't have to suffer and will be doing everything possible to ensure that doesn't happen!

Saturday 11 January
    10 miles at 10:07min/mile
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/428059132

First double digit run since DCM and boy did I enjoy it :D I could have run forever today and was not happy about stopping but am trying to stay sensible and build back up gradually. I love going running on the days when there are no time constraints, nobody wants anything from me all day and I can just take my time and take in the scenery and it was extra nice as it was such a beautiful day. Looking forward to increasing the length of the longer runs again.
    Stayed local as I'm trying to find a hill to do my hill sprints for next week as it'll be too dark to go to the Phoneix Park by the time I finish work. Found a few possibilities around Glasnevin and Drumcondra areas so did a good rece of the area.

Kept it very easy effort-wise and did the last 2 miles somewhere around marathon pace just cause I felt good and sure why not :)
    My New Year's Resolutions officially start today. Couldn't start before this due to a few things I had to partake in.
    Day 1 of no drinking.................. (want to make it to the end of the month and take it from there)

Sunday 12 January

3.15 miles @ 11:05min/mile recovery

Enjoyable recovery run and happy to see that I really had to make an effort to keep the pace over 11 min/mile so a signal that some kind of fitness might be returning. Legs a bit achy when I got out of bed and this did just the trick to loosen them out.
    Looking forward to getting out again later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Ososlo wrote: »
    Stayed local as I'm trying to find a hill to do my hill sprints for next week as it'll be too dark to go to the Phoneix Park by the time I finish work. Found a few possibilities around Glasnevin and Drumcondra areas so did a good rece of the area.

Around Drumcondra/Glasnevin, I reckon St Mobhi Road would be a good bet for a hill session. You have a long drag up by Na Fianna and then a shorter but steeper hill coming up to the junction with Griffith Avenue depending on what you're looking for. There's also a good hill at the very top of Griffith Avenue just with the junction of the Ballymun Rd. There's never anyone on this so it would be a good quiet place for an uninterrupted workout. The Old Finglas Road has plenty of hills too if that's handier.

• Advertisement

Around Drumcondra/Glasnevin, I reckon St Mobhi Road would be a good bet for a hill session. You have a long drag up by Na Fianna and then a shorter but steeper hill coming up to the junction with Griffith Avenue depending on what you're looking for. There's also a good hill at the very top of Griffith Avenue just with the junction of the Ballymun Rd. There's never anyone on this so it would be a good quiet place for an uninterrupted workout. The Old Finglas Road has plenty of hills too if that's handier.

Thanks KU, and they were the very hills I came upon yesterday and Washerwoman's Hill also but Mobhi Rd is more suitable I think. Short 1 min hill reps for 20 mins is the workout so it'd be best on a quieter hill or the locals might think there's a crazy woman on the loose! It won't be pretty to look at or hear:o

Sunday 12 January pm
    4.52 miles in 9.57min/mile inc 5 x 20 sec strides

Bit windy, bit wet but fun :) Even though I'm taking it easy on most of my runs, I am working a bit harder than easy pace when running against the wind and uphills, and this is something I wouldn't have done whilst wearing the HR monitor. I always maintained effort regardless of terrain/conditions to ensure I kept in the zone:cool:. Hence, the pace is a bit quicker than it used to be.

Oops I did a bit too much this week:o Jumped from 31 miles last week to 38 this week. Legs feel great though, feel really healthy and resting heart rate coming down nicely. It was 51 going to bed last night (it's always lowest for me before going to bed). Only 2 beats faster than what it was when in full health! ALMOST BACK IN THE GAME:D:D:D

Day 2 of no drinking............ this is gonna be hard.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Sunday 12 January pm

Bit windy, bit wet but fun :) Even though I'm taking it easy on most of my runs, I am working a bit harder than easy pace when running against the wind and uphills, and this is something I wouldn't have done whilst wearing the HR monitor. I always maintained effort regardless of terrain/conditions to ensure I kept in the zone:cool:. Hence, the pace is a bit quicker than it used to be.

Oops I did a bit too much this week:o Jumped from 31 miles last week to 38 this week. Legs feel great though, feel really healthy and resting heart rate coming down nicely. It was 51 going to bed last night (it's always lowest for me before going to bed). Only 2 beats faster than what it was when in full health! ALMOST BACK IN THE GAME:D:D:D

Well done on making it through 2 days. Once you get over the 3rd day it gets easier but not much:)

Stazza wrote: »
    Well done on making it through 2 days. Once you get over the 3rd day it gets easier but not much:)

thanks a mill Stazza. I gave it up last year from Jan to mid-March when I had a 5k that I was wanted to do really well in. Training and race went really well so I hope to replicate that scenario for the same 5k this year. There is no doubt it has an effect on my training. Weekends are the hardest :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Sunday 12 January pm

Hey Ososlo interesting stuff with the RHR. I'm still about 4 or 5 beats faster than last spring - which is where I want to get back to - but have seen big improvements over the last few months. Its a great indicator of fitness isn't it...sounds like your heading in the right direction :D

Good luck with the booze ban, might try that one myself ;)

• Advertisement

Runchick wrote: »
    Hey Ososlo interesting stuff with the RHR. I'm still about 4 or 5 beats faster than last spring - which is where I want to get back to - but have seen big improvements over the last few months. Its a great indicator of fitness isn't it...sounds like your heading in the right direction :D

Good luck with the booze ban, might try that one myself ;)
    lol just this second posted on your log:D
    Yes measuring rhr a fantastic indicator, especially when one has been following it so closely for so long. I can tell any second of any day what it's likely to be and I'm almost always right :D

Monday 13 January

5 miles at 10:27min/mile

Challenging day. 2 hours sleep last night :( Knot-like pain in my stomach this morning which lasted all day. 2nd day on a new project where I wanted to shine... i didn't shine very brightly. Everything that could go wrong went wrong. Half an hour for lunch which was spent zipping over to another part of town to pick up material for another new project which I somehow mysteriously have to fit in to a 7 day week. No time for much food all day except for a teeny weeny tofu sandwich, a banana and a handful of nuts. Not very much water... too busy to pee:(
    Feel a lot better after my little jaunt however:) Stomach pain gone! Things can only get better!

oh how I'd love a glass of wine though:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

sleep........meh..........its over-rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Monday 13 January

5 miles at 10:27min/mile

Challenging day. 2 hours sleep last night :( Knot-like pain in my stomach this morning which lasted all day. 2nd day on a new project where I wanted to shine... i didn't shine very brightly. Everything that could go wrong went wrong. Half an hour for lunch which was spent zipping over to another part of town to pick up material for another new project which I somehow mysteriously have to fit in to a 7 day week. No time for much food all day except for a teeny weeny tofu sandwich, a banana and a handful of nuts. Not very much water... too busy to pee:(
    Feel a lot better after my little jaunt however:) Stomach pain gone! Things can only get better!

oh how I'd love a glass of wine though:mad:

I want a drink myself after reading that, isn't much a run cant improve though!

SamforMayo wrote: »
    I want a drink myself after reading that, isn't much a run cant improve though!

So true :)

Tuesday 14 January

5 miles at 10:09 min/mile

Nice easy one after a long hard day.

Day 4 of no drinking! Over the 3 day hump! Tonight is definitely easier:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Tuesday 14 January

5 miles at 10:09 min/mile

Nice easy one after a long hard day.

Day 4 of no drinking! Over the 3 day hump! Tonight is definitely easier:)

/must not make joke
    /must not make joke
    /must not make joke

(I'm well aware this says more about my dirty mind than anything else) :)

/must not make joke
    /must not make joke
    /must not make joke

(I'm well aware this says more about my dirty mind than anything else) :)

:o

Wednesday 15 January

Initially was supposed to do my hill sprint session today but legs a bit achey so moving things around. Rest day today and hill sprints tomorrow and might move lsr to Sunday depending on how the legs are after tomorrow. I've been adding hills to a lot of my easy/general aerobic runs so maybe this is contributing to the slight muscle soreness.

I hate rest days :( so was looking for any excuse to go out for a little jog and I found one:D Fantastic night, would be a shame not to experience the beautiful clear sightings of the moon and Jupiter. I made a deal with myself that I'd allow myself to run on my rest day if I did it easier than easy or recovery pace. Stuck to the plan and I must say the legs feel great after it, the achiness (sp?) has gone.
    3 miles at 11.30 min/mile

Thursday 16 January

1 min hill sprints x 8 with 2 mins recovery. Week 2

Looking forward to getting out for this all day as I was emotionally very drained from a funeral this morning. Watching big strapping men sobbing uncontrollably is a very sobering experience.

Last night's run I was under the moon and tonight I was over it after my session:D (it doesn't take much to make me happy:D:D)

Last week was my first hill sprint session and it all went wrong but I did put in the effort but it was on trail and it was way too steep for me to get into any kind of rhythm.
    Found a nice hill for tonight courtesy of KU. Home Farm Road, stretch where the football pitches are. Last week's paces varied from 9:30 min/mile to 11:15min/mile so all over the shop :rolleyes:

Tonight was a different ball-game altogether. Reps were (didn't look at the watch at all, just ran at what felt like 80% effort)
    8:24, 8:12, 8:22, 8:03, 7:56, 8:10, 8:52 (didn't stop the watch on time for the last one) (thought I had done 8 but when I checked the stats when I got back it was only 7:o) All were about 1:05mins.
    I felt very relaxed and really concentrated on my form when running and I was working hard. I whizzed passed 2 men jogging up the hill so that was the highlight of the night as That NEVER happens:) Could have done another couple so I guess that's a good sign but maybe the hill just wasn't steep enough:confused:

• Advertisement

Friday 17 January
    4.29 miles at 11min/mile

Felt I should do a recovery run after yesterday's session even though my legs felt perfect and didn't feel the "need" to do a recovery run but I guess people do them for a reason! I think that hill yesterday wasn't steep enough. Down to the Furry Glen with me on Wednesday ;)

If I can make it to tomorrow morning then I'll be off the booze for ONE WHOLE week! I'd love to celebrate with a bottle glass of wine but I won't :) I hope.. Sleep has been a disaster all week despite the abstinence which is a shame as I thought it'd improve. Keep waking at like 1.30 am and awake for bloody hours:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Really enjoying tonight's beers but I'm thinking that a nice bottle of Côte du rhone might compliment the pate and crackers a bit better.....

Whoops wrong thread, my bad

:cool:

Could have done another couple so I guess that's a good sign but maybe the hill just wasn't steep enough:confused:

Good session onotsoslo,

Don't go changing it drastically just yet!!
    As my wife keeps telling me 'just cos it didn't hurt, doesn't mean it wasn't any good' :pac:

Gavlor wrote: »
    Really enjoying tonight's beers but I'm thinking that a nice bottle of Côte du rhone might compliment the pate and crackers a bit better.....

Whoops wrong thread, my bad

:cool:

Enjoy that hangover! Meanwhile, I'll wake up full of the joys of spring! I wish:rolleyes:

As my wife keeps telling me 'just cos it didn't hurt, doesn't mean it wasn't any good' :pac:

:eek:
    TMI!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

:eek:
    TMI!!!!!!!
    My thoughts exactly, this forum is like watching Doctor Phil sometimes!

SamforMayo wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly, this forum is like watching Doctor Phil sometimes!

Anybody else notice that AMK is always at the centre of it?!

Gavlor is never too far away either ;)

Gavlor is never too far away either ;)

Weeelllllll if we're still talking about this:

"As my wife keeps telling me 'just cos it didn't hurt, doesn't mean it wasn't any good"

:D

Too far?

• Advertisement

Saturday 18 January

am
    3.25 miles at 10:21 min/mile
    Lovely run in local park seeking out the puddles for a good old splash about! Very busy stressful work day from home doing very detailed work at my desk so neck was a bit sore but felt a lot better after this run. I always feel running helps loosen it out.
    pm
    3 miles at 9:13min/mile

Bursting to get out again and away from my work. While I love what I do, it really helps the head to get away from it and return with a fresh perspective. First mile around 10min/mile and it felt very easy so picked it up a tiny bit for the second mile and another notch for the 3rd mile. I was running my 5k-10k pace for a lot of this last mile and it really didn't feel that hard at all. I was working a bit but not anywhere near all-out effort. I knew this was a bit of a naughty run as I have my lsr tomorrow and shouldn't be running hard the day before it but hey, you only live once and sometimes it's good to throw caution to the wind and live life on the edge:p
    I'll take the lsr extra easy tomorrow if I feel any after-effects.
    Extra foam-rolling when I got home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement