Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Be still my beating heart

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

If you do break your no drink run then something like no drinking at home would be something that is more sustainable. Then the functions you have to go to you can enjoy but you are still following the rule but overall those functions are not weekly and look forward to them when they do come up. It is the way I am doing it. Nothing wrong with a drink but personally it can happen too often at home. Had one bottle of beer in last 10 days while out for dinner on Friday. By no means craving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

rom wrote: »
    If you do break your no drink run then something like no drinking at home would be something that is more sustainable. Then the functions you have to go to you can enjoy but you are still following the rule but overall those functions are not weekly and look forward to them when they do come up. It is the way I am doing it. Nothing wrong with a drink but personally it can happen too often at home. Had one bottle of beer in last 10 days while out for dinner on Friday. By no means craving it.

Have to agree with this, even for myself... All to easy to crack open a bottle at home :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

I'm the opposite, I never get out *violins* but cracking open a bottle at home is happening less and less as the quality sessions and races are stacking up. Got to be a good thing. I don't even feel the need to finish the whole bottle once it's open anymore :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    I'm the opposite, I never get out *violins* but cracking open a bottle at home is happening less and less as the quality sessions and races are stacking up. Got to be a good thing. I don't even feel the need to finish the whole bottle once it's open anymore :)

Lucky you! I'm an all or nothing kinda gal! If it's in the house I'll drink it. Same for edible goodies, hence I can't have any readily available. I was never good at resisting temptation!

Ososlo wrote: »
    Lucky you! I'm an all or nothing kinda gal! If it's in the house I'll drink it. Same for edible goodies, hence I can't have any readily available. I was never good at resisting temptation!
    Well I haven't quite got to the stage where it's worthwhile buying a wine rack, but I know where you're at...this time last year I was housebound (OH working stupid long hours) with two v young kids and both the grape and the sugar were getting regular attention :eek: :D It's a nice and pleasant surprise that things have calmed down :)

Ps I'd say you and Oscar Wilde would have been a dangerous combination out on the town :D

• Advertisement

Tuesday 3 February
    7 miles easy

AIS & Lunge Matrix pre run
    Today should be a recovery run after my longer run yesterday but I really didn't feel that I had anything to recover from as I felt so good and not tired at all despite a poor night's sleep so stayed out a bit longer than I should have. Ran easy and relaxed. This was just splendid. Loved it. Could have run forever tonight. I love this weather once the paths aren't slippy. It's simply sublime.
    9:58 avg pace

Wednesday 4 February
    2 x 6x40 sec strides @ mile effort (jog back rec) 5 mins between sets

AIS pre run
    A paired down version of my weekly strides session.

7:06, 7, 6:44, 6:49, 7:03, 6:39
    6:38, 6:37, 6:50, 6:51, 6:43, 6:29

Perfect morning for it. Surprised a few reps are so slow but I can't explain why. Sleep dreadful again last night but I didn't feel too tired once I got into it.
    Ran it by feel. Decided to run the last one pretty much flat out just cause I felt like it and I can be a bit of a rebel at times ;)
    7 miles total
    Myrtl post run

20 days - no alcohol It's getting a bit easier as time goes on. Maybe I'll turn teetotaller:eek:
    as if...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck in Rathcoffey if your running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

tang1 wrote: »
    Best of luck in Rathcoffey if your running.

Sssshhhhhh ! Don't mention the R word ;)

But yes, +1 to that Ososlo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

+2. Hope you tapered off the mileage a small bit past couple of days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

+3 very best of luck...watch out Rathcoffey :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

All the best for the race, hope you nail it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Good luck tomorrow! I hope you enjoy the day :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Best of luck. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Go get it Notsoslo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Best of luck tomorrow, I'm sure you'll do a great job :)

Go get 'em :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Time to put all the pieces together... Hope all goes well!

2 min 50 sec pb.
    50:44 new pb by watch.

Not happy :(
    once again a stitch half way in ruined my race and I didn't have enough fight in me today and let pace slip and the stitch win.
    Anyways it was all about race practice and getting used to the pain and getting in one race a month (almost as it is February!)
    Well done to trr for the win today and great to meet davemcmahon. Thanks both for the words of wisdom.
    My punishment for a crap performance was 6 laps of football pitch which I've just done.
    Ps thanks for the good wishes all but no congrats deserved for that dreadful performance today.
    Onwards and upwards to the next one!
    can't wait to get stuck into new training block Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

2 min 50 sec pb.

once again a stitch half way in ruined my race and I didn't have enough fight in me today and let pace slip and the stitch win.
    Anyways it was all about race practice and getting used to the pain and getting in one race a month (almost as it is February!)
    Well done to trr for the win today and great to meet davemcmahon. Thanks both for the words of wisdom.
    My punishment for a crap performance was 6 laps of football pitch which I've just done.
    Ps thanks for the good wishes all but no congrats deserved for that dreadful performance today.
    Onwards and upwards to the next one!
    can't wait to get stuck into new training block Monday.

a 2 min 50 sec Pb sounds good to me! I'm trying not to congratulate you on it...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

nearly 3 min PB? That's a win in my book, Very well done...Don't be too hard on yourself, the days you take big chunks off your PB are few and far between.

Also nice to know there is more to come at this distance.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Great stuff.

Said it to you before, you beat yourself up far to much. 2min 50sec improvement on your PB is great improvement & progression regardless who you are. Stitch got you today but you still PB'd not to shabby from what i make of it. And i'm not congratulating you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

2 min 50 sec pb.

A nice PB none the less. Out of interest, how long before the race did you eat? Did you have a banana? I'm still trying to work out what brings a stich on.

Cheers

Sorry it was not under the 50mins :(. But you're very nearly there.... Did you give yourself enough taper do you think? (your usual mileage is pretty substantial)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I've had to deal with stitches too in quite a few races, to the extent that it now doesn't surprise me if it happens. I just slow a little and get through it - unless it's right at the end you can always make up the time, that's the way I look at it. Chalk it all up to experience. But I won't congratulate you either on the PB. ;)

I'm not going to congratulate you (I'm scared to and you're still the GM 2014 :D ) but I am going to give you a little shake. You held, on average, a little over 8 m/m pace for over 6 miles. Now not so long ago, 8 m/m pace was the Holy Grail for me and achieving it on a regular basis has been the icing on the cake. This is just the start of the beginning for you. Sorry about the stitch, and I know you are disappointed but feck that, I am going to congratulate you* because as everybody here has said, nearly three minutes off your PB is not to be sneezed at.
    Now go break that tee totalling run :D

* I didn't wish you well cos of your pre-race nerves but was thinking it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Ok I won't congratulate you
    But a PB is a PB even if it's not the one you wanted. Just sayin'

Onwards and upwards as you said. Out of curiosity do you ever get stitches in training ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

a near 3 minute PB ...with a stitch....and no congrats deserved? I don't get it?!?!

I'd be f*cking delirious with that kind of improvement !

Well done !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

+1 to all of the above, I won't congratulate you either but can I say, I think you're just super, the stitch didn't win because you didn't give up. Onwards and upwards yes, look forward to seeing your new training block.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Well I am going to congratulate you.

Fact is you've knocked out a big PB DESPITE having a bad race / stitches cause problems for you. End of the day no matter what way you look at it the race today shows the huge improvement you've made over the past year. So congratulations on that. Accept them or not - they're still coming :)

You owe yourself a second!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Not congratulating u at all....but....almost a 3 min PB on a bad day holding 8 min miles...that is some going for a bad day...just saying!!! :-)

Sorry all. I swear I'm not still sulking:D
    I'll get back to yiz later. Have stuff on atm.
    Thanks tang1. Saw the results there and feeling a bit better as even though they have me racing as a man:) I came 15 out of 99 women overall so not the worst day's work.
    Btw, I'd recommend that race to anyone. They put on the perfect race today and I'll certainly be going back.
    Really appreciate the comments everyone. Lots of food for thought. Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Can relate to the frustration in missing the 50 min 10k goal! You'll get there and it'll be all the sweeter now when you do, onwards and upwards - which it sounds like you know anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Sometimes I think it is a blessing in disguise when you have a disappointing non-goal race. It re-affirms how difficult it actually is to put in a race performance that justifies the effort you've put in, and the results you've being getting in training. The difference between a good race performance and a bad one can be that 1 or 2% bit of extra pain that you're willing to put yourself through. Just remember how disappointed you felt at the end of this race and use it in your goal race to get that tiny little bit extra out of yourself that means the difference between a mediocre performance and a great one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Good stuff O! You know you're on a big upward curve and there's more to come. I'd look at that as encouraging. There will be other races.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

If this was one of the novices/graduates you'd be telling us that a near 3 minutes off a PB is not to be sniffed at. It's improvement in the right direction and that's a good thing. Maybe you'd want to do better or knock more off and that's not a bad way to be but remember the positives too. Maybe you're just lacking a bit of race practice - that was your first 10k in a while was it? More improvements to come I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Congrats on the PB.
    Just look on it that you've left room to run another one next time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Sure come on down to Enniscorthy tomorrow and run a sub 48:)

annapr wrote: »
    a 2 min 50 sec Pb sounds good to me! I'm trying not to congratulate you on it...
    thanks annapr. Much appreciated. Well done on the first place today!!! And you were only out for a gentle stroll around the park!
    adrian522 wrote: »
    nearly 3 min PB? That's a win in my book, Very well done...Don't be too hard on yourself, the days you take big chunks off your PB are few and far between.

Also nice to know there is more to come at this distance.

cheers A. Too true. In a few years I'll be dreaming of taking 3 mins off my time!
    Now go tear up those roads of Enniscorthy tomorrow!
    beertons wrote: »
    Great stuff.
    thanks mate. Enjoying your log!
    Said it to you before, you beat yourself up far to much. 2min 50sec improvement on your PB is great improvement & progression regardless who you are. Stitch got you today but you still PB'd not to shabby from what i make of it. And i'm not congratulating you.
    Thanks B. Looking back on my personal race reports from when I started running, I've never been happy with any race I've done except one out of 22 races. All my race reports read 'disaster of a race today, I should give it up, what's the point....' 'not happy with that at all' 'terrible performance today' 'dreadful running, should have done better' 'terrible performance, no excuses as conditions perfect' etc etc etc... And the funny thing is that I have pb'd in every race I've done bar 3 and that was a DNF (we won't mention that one again ;) and a Parkrun and a race with a hangover. Maybe I have a bit of an issue there I need to address!

• Advertisement

MKDTH wrote: »
    A nice PB none the less. Out of interest, how long before the race did you eat? Did you have a banana? I'm still trying to work out what brings a stich on.

Cheers

Hope I didn't get you too late to wish you all the luck in the world for tomorrow. Bet or no bet go get the time you deserve. Your training has been great of late and that consistency will pay off big time. Enjoy the day!
    I didn't have a banana no. I had a bagel with butter, half a croissant and a beet shot. 2 hours 45 mins before the race. If I ever find out the cause and cure for stitches I'll be the wealthiest woman in the world!

Murph_D wrote: »
    I've had to deal with stitches too in quite a few races, to the extent that it now doesn't surprise me if it happens. I just slow a little and get through it - unless it's right at the end you can always make up the time, that's the way I look at it. Chalk it all up to experience. But I won't congratulate you either on the PB. ;)
    Yeah unfortunately it doesn't surprise me either Murph. It surprises me when it doesn't happen to be honest! I know I need to find a way to work though it going forward. I've dealt with it well in training lately so was surprised today when I let it beat me.

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    I'm not going to congratulate you (I'm scared to and you're still the GM 2014 :D ) but I am going to give you a little shake. You held, on average, a little over 8 m/m pace for over 6 miles. Now not so long ago, 8 m/m pace was the Holy Grail for me and achieving it on a regular basis has been the icing on the cake. This is just the start of the beginning for you. Sorry about the stitch, and I know you are disappointed but feck that, I am going to congratulate you* because as everybody here has said, nearly three minutes off your PB is not to be sneezed at.
    Now go break that tee totalling run :D

* I didn't wish you well cos of your pre-race nerves but was thinking it :)

Don't be scared. I'm really not that scary. In real life anyways:D

The bit in bold above that you wrote gives me heart to be honest and put me in a much better frame of mind when I read it. Thanks Dubgal! Is there any problem you can't solve???

Yes the tee totalling run is currently being blasted into oblivion.
    Now go show us gals how it's done tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Ok I won't congratulate you
    But a PB is a PB even if it's not the one you wanted. Just sayin'

Onwards and upwards as you said. Out of curiosity do you ever get stitches in training ?
    Cheers BG. Wise words!
    Yes I get stitches regularly and am fairly good at dealing with them in training of late but they do always slow me down. Very hard to get to the bottom of it. I even get them when I haven't eaten at all although this rarely happens anymore but it does now and again.
    Duanington wrote: »
    a near 3 minute PB ...with a stitch....and no congrats deserved? I don't get it?!?!

I'd be f*cking delirious with that kind of improvement !

Well done !!
    Thanks D. yeah I gotta work on that old self depreciation.
    Firedance wrote: »
    +1 to all of the above, I won't congratulate you either but can I say, I think you're just super, the stitch didn't win because you didn't give up. Onwards and upwards yes, look forward to seeing your new training block.
    I didn't give up but I did slow down WAY too much. I only just looked at my splits there now and the 4th and 5th miles are just embarrassing pace wise:o...
    But as you say, onwards and upwards!!!

Well I am going to congratulate you.

Fact is you've knocked out a big PB DESPITE having a bad race / stitches cause problems for you. End of the day no matter what way you look at it the race today shows the huge improvement you've made over the past year. So congratulations on that. Accept them or not - they're still coming :)
    Thanks mate. Can't wait to see how you do tomorrow!!!! Have the race of your life!
    You owe yourself a second!!
    Ha! Are you sure it wasn't a minute?:rolleyes::)
    Mimojo wrote: »
    Not congratulating u at all....but....almost a 3 min PB on a bad day holding 8 min miles...that is some going for a bad day...just saying!!! :-)
    Cheers Mim for the non-congratulations:D Yeah I gotta put it into perspective!

Runchick wrote: »
    Can relate to the frustration in missing the 50 min 10k goal! You'll get there and it'll be all the sweeter now when you do, onwards and upwards - which it sounds like you know anyway :D
    The A goal was WELL below 50 mins so you'll appreciate my disappointment even more;) As a wise man once said (a few mins ago actually) I'm worth way more than wot I got today.
    SO happy to see your running back on track RC. That's what it's all about at the end of the day. Enjoying our running and being able to do what we do and the cherry on the cake is seeing improvements in races and paces.
    Sometimes I think it is a blessing in disguise when you have a disappointing non-goal race. It re-affirms how difficult it actually is to put in a race performance that justifies the effort you've put in, and the results you've being getting in training. The difference between a good race performance and a bad one can be that 1 or 2% bit of extra pain that you're willing to put yourself through. Just remember how disappointed you felt at the end of this race and use it in your goal race to get that tiny little bit extra out of yourself that means the difference between a mediocre performance and a great one.
    wise words for one so young;)
    A lot to chew on there in your post and definitely something positive to take away from this poor performance today. Thanks M:)
    Good stuff O! You know you're on a big upward curve and there's more to come. I'd look at that as encouraging. There will be other races.:)
    Yes it's going in the right direction and I guess that's all that matter.
    I'm getting slowly more and more p1ssed. I hoped I'm not spouting too much rubbish!!!
    It has been 22 f2cking days!!!!!!!

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    If this was one of the novices/graduates you'd be telling us that a near 3 minutes off a PB is not to be sniffed at. It's improvement in the right direction and that's a good thing. Maybe you'd want to do better or knock more off and that's not a bad way to be but remember the positives too. Maybe you're just lacking a bit of race practice - that was your first 10k in a while was it? More improvements to come I'm sure.
    Yes I'm a right old hypocrite Laura! You're completely right. I should listen to my own advice sometimes!
    It's not long since my 5 mile race (November) and 5k (December) and I know (have seen in training) that I've improved a good bit since then and I'm capable of much better than I did today. I almost ran this time today in training a few times recently, so it's there, but I just need to pull it out of the bag in a race setting. I'll get there. Eventually!
    Lovely tempo the other day btw!

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB.
    Just look on it that you've left room to run another one next time ;)
    I've got houses full of rooms left hopefully P!!!!
    Can't wait to see what you pull outa the bag tomorrow! The very best of luck!
    Sure come on down to Enniscorthy tomorrow and run a sub 48:)
    Now do you REALLY think the boss man would allow that! I'm sorely tempted to give it a go though!!!!
    Kill it tomorrow B!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

You're a hard woman to please A. You're making progress. Yes you can do better, and you will, but well done this time.

I think this sums it up “Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.”
    Winston S. Churchill

You may be disappointed with the result, but I suspect you are still enjoying the climb!;)

Sorry it was not under the 50mins :(. But you're very nearly there.... Did you give yourself enough taper do you think? (your usual mileage is pretty substantial)

Hey! Yes I did taper. I did my long run Monday, easy run Tuesday, and a cut-back strides session Wednesday and then I thought I'd try something new and not run at all for 2 days before the race so that my legs would be really fresh and raring to go for the race.
    I really don't know if it had any positive or negative impact on my performance....

RedRunner wrote: »
    You're a hard woman to please A. You're making progress. Yes you can do better, and you will, but well done this time.

I think this sums it up “Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.”
    Winston S. Churchill

You may be disappointed with the result, but I suspect you are still enjoying the climb!;)
    not sure about the climb but I'm certainly enjoying the wine:D
    Great quote! That'll be my new log title!
    Cheers R. Great to see you working your way back to where you were.
    btw: are all women not hard to please:confused::)

Hey! Yes I did taper. I did my long run Monday, easy run Tuesday, and a cut-back strides session Wednesday and then I thought I'd try something new and not run at all for 2 days before the race so that my legs would be really fresh and raring to go for the race.

Ah well ... so not that then. Had been thinking a couple of weeks ago when you did that nice half-marathon tempo, that it must be a lot tougher to pull-off that kind of effort on 60-mile weeks.

Anyway, next time!
    I really don't know if it had any positive or negative impact on my performance....

:)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement