Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Be still my beating heart

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

When you say you will only run dcm '16 if your ready what do you mean, can you define ready. Just curious is all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

When you say you will only run dcm '16 if your ready what do you mean, can you define ready. Just curious is all :)

ready = faster:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Ososlo wrote: »
    ready = faster:)

Ah I was just wondering because I'm thinking along the same lines myself.
    I have a specific target for my next marathon(don't ask:D)if it's reachable at dcm '16 well and good, if not it can wait.......

Ah I was just wondering because I'm thinking along the same lines myself.
    I have a specific target for my next marathon(don't ask:D)if it's reachable at dcm '16 well and good, if not it can wait.......

Absolutely. What's the rush!
    So much satisfaction to be gained over the shorter stuff.

Tuesday 10 March
    AIS, Lunge Matrix pre run
    5 miles recovery
    Easy one to get the car. Net downhill.
    10:11 avg pace

Wednesday 11 March
    3 x (6x40 sec @ mile pace off jog back rec) & 3 mins @ 3k-5k

AIS, LM pre run
    Did the first set in local park but it got dark very quickly so had to move to my usual area for second 2 sets. All went well. Focused on running the 40 sec reps with all parts of my body relaxed and I think I'm starting to get the hang of it now. I used to be so tensed up doing anything faster before which was undoubtedly wasting lots of precious energy! 'Relaxed at speed' is my new mantra.
    Always wear my light racing shoes for this session which make the strides feel easier rather than in the clunky Mizuno's. Conditions were perfect tonight. One could not ask for more.
    I think I got the 3 mins at the end paced better this week as I did it a bit too fast last week.
    The 3 mins came in at 7:28.
    I always find that on the cool down jog for this session my legs feel very sprightly and find I'm doing sub 9 min/mile very easily so have to consciously slow down a lot. The 18 strides do make the legs feel very springy!
    Enjoyable run and everything feels good. It was one of those nights where I could have just run and run and run and never get tired. Nice feeling:)
    Myrtl routine post run
    10 miles total
    Easy tomorrow and 6 x 5 mins Friday!
    I've chosen a race to do later this month but I'll be saying nothing about it until after the race has been run :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I've chosen a race to do later this month but I'll be saying nothing about it until after the race has been run :)

Ya big tease!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

RedRunner wrote: »
    Ya big tease!;)

you're dead right! the best of luck in it O, here's to a stitch free & enjoyable race :-)

that looks like a super session too.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Ya big tease!;)

ha ha I doubt anyone really cares ;)
    It's just to relieve the pre-race stress a bit...

Firedance wrote: »
    you're dead right! the best of luck in it O, here's to a stitch free & enjoyable race :-)

Sitch-free! I like the sound of that! Cheers :)

Firedance wrote: »

I think she is right too. Did you not see my winky smiley!:)

• Advertisement

ha ha I doubt anyone really cares ;)
    It's just to relieve the pre-race stress a bit...

I think it's a good idea. You know how things get out of hand here sometimes. I've thought about coming back to my log some time and sayin, yeah just did a marathon at the weekend, just for the crack!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Just catching up on your log - good training going on.
    Wise decision to bin the marathon plan - I'm sure you'll make solid inroads on 5k's / 10k's. Plenty coming around in the coming weeks.

Just catching up on your log - good training going on.
    Wise decision to bin the marathon plan - I'm sure you'll make solid inroads on 5k's / 10k's. Plenty coming around in the coming weeks.

thanks!
    Was never gonna do a marathon this year though. It's the half marathon I've binned for the moment. Will re-visit that idea again in a few months...
    5 & 10ks only for the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I used to be so tensed up doing anything faster before which was undoubtedly wasting lots of precious energy! 'Relaxed at speed' is my new mantra.

I'm going to try and borrow this mantra and relax on the speed parts. I think I get so 'yikes I'm speeding' that it starts getting my head first and sure after that its a struggle.

I was thinking of doing a race in April... I'm trying to sort out a babysitter. If I can get it, I'm telling no one..I'm just going to do it and see what happens. All the race reports from the weekend have given me itchy feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I'm going to try and borrow this mantra and relax on the speed parts. I think I get so 'yikes I'm speeding' that it starts getting my head first and sure after that its a struggle.

I was thinking of doing a race in April... I'm trying to sort out a babysitter. If I can get it, I'm telling no one..I'm just going to do it and see what happens. All the race reports from the weekend have given me itchy feet.

...for me, it's more like 'yikes, how come I'm still going so slow' :p

Yeah I'm the same! I think not checking the watch is another key to relaxing during the faster stuff. You can't really be relaxed if you're checking it every 5 seconds and again, it's expending energy that needs to be conserved.
    Good luck in your secret race! We'll get there HS!!!! Deep breaths!!!
    I might even go watchless completely for this one.

annapr wrote: »
    ...for me, it's more like 'yikes, how come I'm still going so slow' :p

Haahaa..that usually comes after and my watch isn't exploding from all the records I didn't crack :D
    Yeah I'm the same! I think not checking the watch is another key to relaxing during the faster stuff. You can't really be relaxed if you're checking it every 5 seconds and again, it's expending energy that needs to be conserved.
    Good luck in your secret race! We'll get there HS!!!! Deep breaths!!!
    I might even go watchless completely for this one.

You're so right..its so obvious, yet it never dawned on me. I'm not sure I could ditch the watch...its for distance more than anything and although it wrecked my head in raheny a few times I was glad of it at other stages. But it could be fun to just run?!

You're so right..its so obvious, yet it never dawned on me. I'm not sure I could ditch the watch...its for distance more than anything and although it wrecked my head in raheny a few times I was glad of it at other stages. But it could be fun to just run?!

Definitely worth trying even once in a non-goal race.
    I do love me stats though to review after a race!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I do love me stats though to review after a race!

Do a night race - best of both worlds! We do club races on mid week nights. I actually don't bother with a watch, because I can't see it in the dark, but you could wear one, not be able to see it in the dark, and then still have your stats after?

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Do a night race - best of both worlds! We do club races on mid week nights. I actually don't bother with a watch, because I can't see it in the dark, but you could wear one, not be able to see it in the dark, and then still have your stats after?

Good idea! Mine glows in the dark though:D

Now get working on that log title;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

But it could be fun to just run?!

Girls, you are talking yourselves into XC and off-road racing :D:D Go on, go on, go on. You know you want to. :pac::pac:

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Girls, you are talking yourselves into XC and off-road racing :D:D Go on, go on, go on. You know you want to. :pac::pac:

ha ha you're relentless! I'll give you that!

Thursday 12 March
    Rest day. Don't know why I took a day off really. Didn't feel the need for it really and wasn't very tired or anything, just decided it might be a good idea as I haven't taken one for a few weeks. Kinda sorry I took it in the end. Don't feel it served any purpose. Maybe it did.

Friday 13 March
    am: 3.5 miles recovery effort
    AIS & Lunge Matrix
    Easy one to get the car. This route is mainly downhill and I tried to run it as slowly as I possibly could as it was just to serve as a warm up for what was to come a few short hours later. Cracking morning for a jog.
    10:27 avg pace

pm: 6 x 5mins @ 5mile race effort off 3 min jog rec
    AIS, LM
    Last time I did this session was 2 weeks ago and it was only 5 reps of 5mins.
    On the warm up when I was jogging at a really really easy effort I started getting stitches all over my stomach. Not in the usual place, but everywhere in my stomach on both sides, top and bottom. Couldn't fathom it for a while and then I remembered, I had a handful of seeds about 1.5 hours previously which was WAY too close to a run for me to eat anything, let alone seeds which I find hard to digest. Idiot.... Just saw the packet there in the kitchen and downed a load of them and didn't think strategically... idiot...
    Used my usual strategies to combat it and it eased a bit but not a lot. It actually improved during the first rep.

Paces for 6 x 5 mins: 8:02, 7:55, 7:52, 7:51, 7:52, 7:49
    The stitches returned on the 3rd rep and made that one quite difficult. They eased off again for the 4th, 5th and 6th. I feel like such a fool for letting this happen. 100% food-related and my own fault this time and not like the stitch I normally get under my ribcage that is out of my control. Anyways, I'll live and learn. So unfortunately the full workout wasn't done in a 'fast and relaxed' state but the majority was and I enjoyed most of it. Condtions perfect for faster running today. Very little of a breeze and beautiful bright sunshine. Let's hope it continues for the weekend!!!
    Myrtl routine after the run.
    9 miles total

12.5 miles daily total
    503 miles for year

Saturday 14 March
    5 miles recovery @ 10:06 avg pace

Sunday 15 March
    5 miles easy @ 9:42 avg pace

Should have been long run today and went out to do it but after warm up jog and a mile at half marathon effort I was dying a death so pulled the plug. Taking WAY too much out of me. I did have a slight hangover but I'm a fairly seasoned drinker at this point so what I drank shouldn't have taken THAT much out of me but something just didn't feel right. Thought I was coming down with something. I haven't really been sick all year except for a slight sniffle here and there but nothing to warrant a day off due to sickness in about a year. I've been very lucky that way.

45 miles weekly total
    (took a complete rest day and very few doubles done)

Monday 16 March
    5 x 3mins @ 5k effort off 3 min jog

Slept for 9 hours and still felt completely shattered this morning. But resting heart rate was 48 so no sign I was sick other than just feeling generally wrecked. Didn't really have enough time to do my long run properly (hate rushing it and cutting it short) so decided to do one of my speed sessions for the week instead and do long run Wed when I have the day off. This is a nice session as it's fairly short and compact and decent recoveries and was ready to pull the plug if necessary.
    Didn't find it too bad in the end but it did become apparent half way through the session what was up with me. Mother Nature, the biatch has been playing with my mind and body so that explains that. Got through the session ok and enjoyed it but at the end I was riddled with stomach pain so dosed up on the strongest painkillers I can find atm. Anyways, I'm delighted I'm not coming down with some awful flu or something as I was a bit worried about my lack of energy yesterday and today.
    Splits for the 3 mins were:
    7:26, 7:45, 7:41, 7:45, 7:37
    7 miles total

Easy tomorrow and long run Wednesday and hills Friday is the plan...
    Each run above preceded by AIS and Lunge Matrix routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

I hear ya there O that pesky time of the month plays havoc on my running, must admit I feel sorry for those living with me through it :eek: Well done on a great session, you're clocking up some mighty mileage there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Ughhhhh.... Womens problems.......

*runs away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

martyboy48 wrote: »

*runs away

I was going to say maybe include a spolier alert, but that's not really apt...:p Some alert?

martyboy48 wrote: »

*runs away
    walshb wrote: »
    I was going to say maybe include a spolier alert, but that's not really apt...:p Some alert?

Sorry boys. I'll try to remember to save yer blushes the next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Sorry boys. I'll try to remember to save yer blushes the next time!

Tiss all good... Just gives me free reign to mention my man problems :D:D

• Advertisement

Tuesday 17 March
    Rest

Had to take the day off and wasn't happy about it:mad:. Won't go into detail for fear of offending the sensitive men but I was in the worst pain I've been in for a long time. It was so bad at times that the sweet release of death might have been welcome. I'm not a drama queen, I swear:)
    In all seriousness though, it wasn't nice and there's no way I could have run. If I'd had a target race today there's no way I could have done it.

Wednesday 18 March
    Thought I was feeling better upon waking this morning but after pottering around for a bit I started getting stomach pains again. Took another painkiller and went back to the bed until lunchtime.
    Felt ok a few hours later so said I'd give the session a go.

40 mins easy & 60 mins at 2 hr race effort (AT)

It's always tricky to get the effort correct for this session. It's a bit slower than my half marathon effort but I don't know by how much. I suppose if clock watching I'd be looking at something between 8:30 and 8:40 pace for this. Did it by feel and started out quite conservatively so not surprised the first few miles are slower than they should be. I forgot to do my progressive warm up so instead did the first few miles of the tempo slower and eased into the required effort to avoid getting a stitch. I didn't mean to do the full 7 miles progressively but it worked out that way when reviewing stats afterwards.
    8:48, 8:39, 8:35, 8:30, 8:29, 8:19, 8:17
    Felt really good throughout. Got into a lovely rhythm and was holding what I felt was a nice hard-ish but even effort for miles 3-7. I really enjoyed it and would have liked to continue the tempo for a few more miles. My breathing was good today and body felt strong despite the horrors of the last few days but everything just felt right once I got into it and of course the sublime weather certainly helped. Phoenix Park was looking just splendid today and it was lovely and quiet too on the paths. All in all I'm very happy with that effort today and felt great after it. It's also the longest run I've done in a good while as my longer runs usually hover around the 10 mile mark but I could have gone on for another few miles no bother.
    AIS, Lunge Matrix and Myrtl routines done today.

12.5 miles total @ 9:15 avg pace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Tuesday 17 March
    Rest

Had to take the day off and wasn't happy about it:mad:. Won't go into detail for fear of offending the sensitive men but I was in the worst pain I've been in for a long time. It was so bad at times that the sweet release of death might have been welcome. I'm not a drama queen, I swear:)
    In all seriousness though, it wasn't nice and there's no way I could have run. If I'd had a target race today there's no way I could have done it.

Wednesday 18 March
    Thought I was feeling better upon waking this morning but after pottering around for a bit I started getting stomach pains again. Took another painkiller and went back to the bed until lunchtime.
    Felt ok a few hours later so said I'd give the session a go.

40 mins easy & 60 mins at 2 hr race effort (AT)

It's always tricky to get the effort correct for this session. It's a bit slower than my half marathon effort but I don't know by how much. I suppose if clock watching I'd be looking at something between 8:30 and 8:40 pace for this. Did it by feel and started out quite conservatively so not surprised the first few miles are slower than they should be. I forgot to do my progressive warm up so instead did the first few miles of the tempo slower and eased into the required effort to avoid getting a stitch. I didn't mean to do the full 7 miles progressively but it worked out that way when reviewing stats afterwards.
    8:48, 8:39, 8:35, 8:30, 8:29, 8:19, 8:17
    Felt really good throughout. Got into a lovely rhythm and was holding what I felt was a nice hard-ish but even effort for miles 3-7. I really enjoyed it and would have liked to continue the tempo for a few more miles. My breathing was good today and body felt strong despite the horrors of the last few days but everything just felt right once I got into it and of course the sublime weather certainly helped. Phoenix Park was looking just splendid today and it was lovely and quiet too on the paths. All in all I'm very happy with that effort today and felt great after it. It's also the longest run I've done in a good while as my longer runs usually hover around the 10 mile mark but I could have gone on for another few miles no bother.
    AIS, Lunge Matrix and Myrtl routines done today.

12.5 miles total @ 9:15 avg pace

Ha! If the sensitive men had to experience that wed be hearing aalll about it :-) glad you got out in the end, I find once the painkiller has dulled the pain a nice gentle jog seems to do the trick!

nice tempo there!

annapr wrote: »
    nice tempo there!

Thanks Anna. Great to be feeling relatively comfortable running at those paces now. Feels like a bit of progress has been made recently.

Well done again on your shiny new pb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Nice session A. Lucky enough it wasn't the aul man flu. No way you'd have been able to run the next day let alone a session.

Count your blessings ;-)

Thursday 19 March
    6 miles recovery

Had a bit of DOMS in my bum during the day. Especially the right side. Must have been from the session the previous day. Did a lot of foam rolling when I got home from work and paid extra special attention to the AIS stretch for glutes and held them for a little longer than usual and did a few extra reps. Ran a bit gingerly for the first few mins but everything eased out nicely then and pottered along happily for over an hour, taking things lovely and eeeeezzzzzzeeeee.
    10:20avg pace

Friday 20 March
    5 miles easy

No sleep the previous night and I was in a right state from it by the time I got home from work. A total bloody wreck to be honest. Today was supposed to be hills session day, but no way was I up to doing that. Well I could have done it but I don't like doing sessions when I'm not feeling 100% as I don't feel I'm getting the most out of them. Was going to take a complete rest day but I knew it wouldn't make me feel any worse to run easy, and it could potentially make me feel a little better. I did run and it did make me feel a little better :) but was crazily slow. It's on runs like this when the body really doesn't want to move very fast that I'm so glad I'm not watching the pace and trying to achieve to run at a certain 'easy' pace. Some days it just is what it is...
    10:28 avg pace

Saturday 21 March
    am: 3 miles very easy

This was just to tease the legs a little in preparation for the main event later in the day. Sleep still not great... DOMS almost gone.

pm:8 x 40 sec hills off 4 mins jog rec
    Felt much more 'alive' and invigorated this afternoon for whatever reason. The weather helped with yet another wonderfully sunny day to appreciate the Phoenix Park in all its glory.
    3 miles warm up (9:56, 9:39, 9:06) brought me to "my" hill which was nice and quiet this evening. Enjoyed the sprints and concentrated on good strong running form, running with quick light feet and focused on relaxing all areas of my body. Recoveries were more than ample and I look forward to extending the time of the sprints for the next session in 2 weeks. A great little workout. The body feels good and the DOMS seems to have disappeared altogether.
    10 miles total

13 miles daily total

Might do a beach run tomorrow for one of my easy runs if the day is as sunny and un-windy as today! And maybe a picnic afterwards!

• Advertisement

Sunday 22 March
    am: 4 miles recovery
    Was a bit of a slog to start out with but enjoyable after a while.
    10:17 avg pace

pm: 5 miles easy
    Had a lovely walk up Hell Fire in the early afternoon. Really want to try running this some day to see how far up I'd get jogging. I'm a bit of a wuss on the hills so probably not too far. It's a fairly serious climb!

Felt wonderful on this evening's run. An abundance of energy exuding from mind and body. Would have liked to do a few more miles but need to keep plenty of energy in reserve for long run with scary tempo tomorrow.
    9:39 avg pace
    Funny how my easy pace can vary so much from day to day depending on sleep and other factors. It can vary up to a minute per mile!

53 miles weekly total.
    A decent week with one day off and lots of quality included

Sunday 22 March
    pm: 5 miles easy
    Had a lovely walk up Hell Fire in the early afternoon. Really want to try running this some day to see how far up I'd get jogging. I'm a bit of a wuss on the hills so probably not too far. It's a fairly serious climb!

I would love to give it a crack too Os! It is some climb though. I'm going to try it during the summer in very much a walk run walk strategy! There's another one im going to try...Cruagh that is steep too..not sure if its as steep but I saw two people jogging it last year so its doable.

I would love to give it a crack too Os! It is some climb though. I'm going to try it during the summer in very much a walk run walk strategy! There's another one im going to try...Cruagh that is steep too..not sure if its as steep but I saw two people jogging it last year so its doable.

Yeah good idea to do run/walk strategy first before tackling a full jog to the top!
    Looking forward to it! The views from up there today were simply stupendous!
    Must look up Cruagh. I don't know that part of the county very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Cruagh is definitely doable. The loop is about 4 miles I think. Some parts are a slog but it's easy terrain underfoot and some fab views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Festinatio Cursor

I just read through your log. I see lots of training but very little racing. I noticed after your last race you said that you were going to race once a month. What happened to that?

I don't mean to be critical but there is no point putting in so many miles if you don't see any results ( race times).

• Advertisement

I just read through your log. I see lots of training but very little racing. I noticed after your last race you said that you were going to race once a month. What happened to that?

I don't mean to be critical but there is no point putting in so many miles if you don't see any results ( race times).

That seems a bit extreme. It's very clear from the log that Ososlo loves to run... That's a good reason in itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Whats she is doing is working for her, theres no need to alter anything & she'll tell you that herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Wednesday 11 March

Maybe you missed the above post.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

tang1 wrote: »
    Whats she is doing is working for her, theres no need to alter anything & she'll tell you that herself.

I wouldn't say Ososlo should even bother telling him/her herself; I think he/she is a troll. Ignore, ignore :)!

ETA: Maybe not a troll, but maybe trying to push Ososlo's buttons?

Who says you have to race? I must have put in 10s of 1000s of ks on the road and only raced 3 times. I'm very selective.

HelenAnne wrote: »
    ETA: Maybe not a troll, but maybe trying to push Ososlo's buttons?

Surely in a thread of 1000s of posts you will get a question here and there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

walshb wrote: »
    Who says you have to race? I must have put in 10s of 1000s of ks on the road and only raced 3 times. I'm very selective.

That's very true. I'm not a big racer myself (look at the title of my log!), even in my younger days I preferred training to racing, but I like to know that I am making improvements with that training.

I have often meant to ask Ososlo how does she rate her new training regime, compared to what went before. I think that was the type of question that was being asked. It's a valid question, if not worded all that well :pac:.

PaulieC wrote: »
    That's very true. I'm not a big racer myself (look at the title of my log!), even in my younger days I preferred training to racing, but I like to know that I am making improvements with that training.

I have often meant to ask Ososlo how does she rate her new training regime, compared to what went before. I think that was the type of question that was being asked. It's a valid question, if not worded all that well :pac:.

I would argue that not racing would be a bit pointless, but I wouldn't care how regular the racing was all that much. Once a year should suffice! Or if you're are a Mayweather kinda' racer then twice a year!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Festinatio Cursor

I'm surprised by the reactions. The troll accusations are clearly OTT :(

I thought the point of these public logs were that people can interact with your training and maybe give suggestions? Since clearly the whole point of the sport (I think?) is to improve and post better race times then surely racing a bit more is a reasonable suggestion? I just think that some of the sessions here are overly complicated and ososlo would get more physical and mental benefits from the odd race (or even park run) in lieu of some of those sessions. For such high mileage and sessions it doesn't look like she is improving as much as she should be and perhaps it's just race sharpness that's the missing ingredient?

Glad to hear you are racing next week. Good luck with that.

The troll accusations, as per usual, are a joke!

BTW, how much of the log have you read? Maybe you missed some races?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement