Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Be still my beating heart

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

menoscemo wrote: »
    Haha!! When I mentioned earlier about the criticism on old logs being much more vocal I was thinking of your old marathon log.
    Man it was brutal!! I bet younused to hate Village Runner!!:p

Village runner, my old nemesis. On that sub 5 min thread he accused me of making up the fact I time trialled a 67 sec 400 as no way could I run that, and no way could I even get close to a sub 5 mile. Well I have the 400 equivalent of a 4:4x mile now. Use all this as motivation O.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Village runner, my old nemesis. On that sub 5 min thread he accused me of making up the fact I time trialled a 67 sec 400 as no way could I run that, and no way could I even get close to a sub 5 mile. Well I have the 400 equivalent of a 4:4x mile now. Use all this as motivation O.

Sure at one point you were my village runner. Think I got up for a run at 4am once just to prove a point to you too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Sure at one point you were my village runner. Think I got up for a run at 4am once just to prove a point to you too :D

For all your entertainment:

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056013145

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

Chivito550 wrote: »
    For all your entertainment:

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056013145

Just read through your Rotterdam log there. How the tables have turned! 13mpw average and a 5 week taper for marathon training with a monthly high of 60 miles!:eek::D A miracle that you survived it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Morning O,

I see no mention of AMAZING sleep spray so am re-linking :P, available in Avoca and Arnotts apparently.
    http://www.thisworks.com/deep-sleep-pillow-spray.html
    I've used it for a few weeks and have slept really well with it. I've cut out at 2 coffees by 10.30am and moved to Camomile tea for the rest of the day. I've gone to bed an our later and stayed away from the laptop before bed. Have started watching the Tudors as have never seen it and I fear it will end badly for Anne.
    More sleep advice, stressing over amount of tablets left will not do you any favours.

On race advise all I'll add is an hour and a half is FAR too early for any event in life. Oh no, you've that all wrong. Up for breakfast or feed. Have a dialorite, foam roll etc and have all pins and outfit set out from the night before. Know what time you are leaving at and then miss that time as too busy pissing about the house. As long as you've passed breakfast then you've nothing left to fret about. Leave late, possibly stop for petrol, directions. Arrive just as registration is about to close. Stop in a ditch for a final pee if necessary. Arrive at start line and then no time to fret. In Fingal I couldn't find the bag drop due to above course of action and thought I'd be running with it or leaving it at the side of the road and ran a super race as no time to fret about running. Arrived looking so frazzled in the sub 50 pack that I was given a few looks like I'd never last the pace. Start slow in a race and don't worry about pace, I focus on distance and countdown.

As for backslapping on the log I know I'm just very protective of you as my mentor and am sure other novices feel the same but that doesn't mean you aren't doing a super training regime and are well capable but too hard on yourself.

x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

:D^^^^^^:D that made me laugh aquinn - I must try arriving barely on time sometime!

how is your training going this week O? are you taking a few rest days or did you get stuck straight back in again? look forward to reading the sessions whenever you post them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

What a gorgeous way to start the day, thank you aquinn!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    What a gorgeous way to start the day, thank you aquinn!! :D

+1 that is so you, Aquinn... I was breathless reading it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Lovely post thanks aquinn! Gavlor will be having a major conniption with all the backslapping going on this morning.

I don't mean to make light of it but the sleepy products reminds me of this :)
    I do promise to pick up some soon and give it a go!
    Yes in hindsight it was ridiculous arriving at that time but I do like to be prepared and in control of every eventuality but yes there is such a thing as taking it way too far! Lesson learned!
    Thanks again. Some great advice in your post.

Firedance, thanks, yes have done 5 runs since Sunday including a session yesterday and legs felt perfect which probably tells me something about my race effort.
    Logging training? Not sure... we'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I've tried the This Works Deep Sleep Dream Cream (instead of the spray) and found it really good. They are lovely products!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Ososlo wrote: »
    Lovely post thanks aquinn! Gavlor will be having a major conniption with all the backslapping going on this morning.

I have no problem whatsoever with birds playfully slapping each other first thing in the morning!

Gavlor wrote:
    I have no problem whatsoever with birds playfully slapping each other first thing in the morning!

BIRDS! The cheek. Ladies please (even if one of us chucks oneself into a ditch to pee pre-race)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

aquinn wrote: »
    BIRDS! The cheek. Ladies please (even if one of us chucks oneself into a ditch to pee pre-race)

Birds ? Good job T-runner isn't around any more, he'd go mental. He loved himself a bit of bantz about the wimminz.

Bantz... Is that another word for puerile, laddish 'humour'? :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

annapr wrote: »

not necessarily. Anyway, in this case, I was using the term in jest. Please shoot me if ever say it in earnest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

annapr wrote: »

If I was being laddish then the word clunge would have been used. I was actually being factual in response to ososlos little dig ;)

Edit: I let a d out of laddish.

Ok, let's try again. From the top.

Monday 30 March
    am: 5 miles recovery
    Felt wonderful. Legs felt great. Could have run and run and run.
    10:06 avg pace

pm: 5 miles easy
    Working from home all day so nice to pop out again in the evening for a little jog.
    10:30 avg pace
    10 miles daily total

Tuesday 31 March
    am: 3.5 miles easy
    Didn't feel great. Legs super but breathing a bit laboured. Kept it very easy. Extremely windy.
    10:21 avg pace

pm: 4.5 miles easy
    OMG what an exhilarating run! Was absolutely battered around the place by the wind and it felt wonderful. Much faster than the morning run for the same very easy effort.
    9:45 avg pace
    8 miles daily total

March total: 204

Wednesday 1 April
    3 x 6 x 40 secs and 4 mins hard
    Felt very tired today. Tried to stay as relaxed as possible on the strides concentrating on form. Did them all with the wind at my back to aid the 'relaxed and fast' mantra. 4 mins at end of 18 strides @ 7:35
    10 miles total

Thursday 2 April
    6 miles recovery. Brilliant little run. Rainy but not too rainy. First mile I felt awful and had a stitch and felt tired but had a bodily transformation from mile 2 onwards and loved every step.
    10:01 avg pace

Friday 3 April
    10 mins + 4 x 5 mins off 3 mins
    Windy but used it to my advantage
    2.5 miles progressive warm up at 10:09, 9:39, 9:27

10 mins: 7:51 7:48
    4x5 mins: 7:40 7:41 7:43 7:39
    Enjoyable and felt very manageable and definitely another few reps left in me.
    9 miles total

Saturday 4 April
    Poppintree Parkrun pacing sister to sub 32 mins with a secret target of getting in at 31:30. Secret target smashed. Came home in 30:59! (unofficial, but hope she gets in under the 32) Sub 30 up next for her.
    1 mile w/u
    3 miles parkrun
    Back to Ososlo Demesne for 4 miles easy
    8 miles total

Sunday 5 April
    Gonna try to take a rest tomorrow so will call it here and wrap up the week.

AIS and Lunge Matrix routine before every run and Myrtl routine after each faster workout.
    Great week. Body feeling good and strong. Looking forward to getting stuck into next week, kicking off the week with an AT run on Monday.

51 miles weekly total

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Ok, let's try again. From the top.

Monday 30 March
    am: 5 miles recovery
    Felt wonderful. Legs felt great. Could have run and run and run.
    10:06 avg pace

Working from home all day so nice to pop out again in the evening for a little jog.
    10:30 avg pace
    10 miles daily total

Tuesday 31 March
    am: 3.5 miles easy
    Didn't feel great. Legs super but breathing a bit laboured. Kept it very easy. Extremely windy.
    10:21 avg pace

OMG what an exhilarating run! Was absolutely battered around the place by the wind and it felt wonderful. Much faster than the morning run for the same very easy effort.
    9:45 avg pace
    8 miles daily total

March total: 204

Wednesday 1 April
    3 x 6 x 40 secs and 4 mins hard
    Felt very tired today. Tried to stay as relaxed as possible on the strides concentrating on form. Did them all with the wind at my back to aid the 'relaxed and fast' mantra. 4 mins at end of 18 strides @ 7:35
    10 miles total

Thursday 2 April
    6 miles recovery. Brilliant little run. Rainy but not too rainy. First mile I felt awful and had a stitch and felt tired but had a bodily transformation from mile 2 onwards and loved every step.
    10:01 avg pace

Friday 3 April
    10 mins + 4 x 5 mins off 3 mins
    Windy but used it to my advantage
    2.5 miles progressive warm up at 10:09, 9:39, 9:27

10 mins: 7:51 7:48
    4x5 mins: 7:40 7:41 7:43 7:39
    Enjoyable and felt very manageable and definitely another few reps left in me.
    9 miles total

Saturday 4 April
    Poppintree Parkrun pacing sister to sub 32 mins with a secret target of getting in at 31:30. Secret target smashed. Came home in 30:59! (unofficial, but hope she gets in under the 32) Sub 30 up next for her.
    1 mile w/u
    3 miles parkrun
    Back to Ososlo Demesne for 4 miles easy
    8 miles total

Sunday 5 April
    Gonna try to take a rest tomorrow so will call it here and wrap up the week.

AIS and Lunge Matrix routine before every run and Myrtl routine after each faster workout.
    Great week. Body feeling good and strong. Looking forward to getting stuck into next week, kicking off the week with an AT run on Monday.

51 miles weekly total

Sounds like you enjoyed training this week . Nice splits on Friday especially in the wind. I love seeing the sub 8 on my garmin - sad I know!!

Monday 6 April
    Long run w/ 60 mins at AT

Bit of an Easter hangover today and was 17 degrees when I was doing this and I was a tad overdressed so splits are unsurprisingly a bit slower than I'd have liked. However, I think I got the effort spot on today. Some days you just don't have the 'edge' however with the old pace.
    w/u: 10:03, 9:32
    AT: 8:50 8:45: 8:47 8:44 8:43 8:39
    c/d 10:01 10:01 9:45 10:10
    12 miles total @ 9:18 avg pace

Tuesday 7 April
    6 miles recovery

Fab evening. Ran some of this a bit too fast but I felt great and there may have been a little bit of a competitive thing going on with some folks at one point.
    9:46 avg pace

Wednesday 8 April
    5 x 4 mins off 3 mins

w/u 9:51 9:37
    5 x 4 mins 7:44 7:41 7:42 7:38 7:34
    c/d 9:43 8:59
    Felt good despite poor sleep night last night. Did this on the slightly more challenging route that I did the AT run on.
    Enjoyed it. Was running hard but at a sustainable effort. Gave the last one a bit of welly just 'cause I felt like it. Definitely had another few reps in me if necessary though. The cool down surprised me when I reviewed stats at home. I ran a sub 9 min mile for my last cool down mile and it felt like a 10 min/mile. Not sure what that was about!
    7 miles total @ 9:13 avg pace

Thursday
    am: 3 miles recovery

1.5 miles to get to the shop to purchase some vegan sausages for lunch and 1.5 miles home to eat them.
    pm: 6 miles easy with a bit of punch in the middle. Felt great tonight. Full of beans!
    9:31 avg pace
    9 miles daily total

Friday 10 April
    Met a real life, living breathing Boardsie today. Fun to chat about running and training and this place and what it's like to be part of a minority group;)

Supposed to be my hills session today but I went out to do the warm up and started feeling a bit strange. I felt a bit weak and lightheaded. Knocked session on the head and returned home. Maybe it was the excitement from earlier in the day getting to me:)
    4 miles easy

Saturday 11 April
    8 x 50 sec hills

My usual Phonenix Park hill was taken over by Korir and Steele etc for the GIR so had to wait until evening to do this session. Great race for second and delighted to see our Fionnuala get her well deserved silver!!! Be still my beating heart it was hard to watch towards the end!!!

This was one of those sessions when everything feels just right.
    3 mile progressive warm up felt great and much faster than usual: 9:50, 9:11, 8:44 pace.
    Felt very good on the hills and felt my form was strong and powerful. I probably didn't look that way in reality :) Have to say the fortnightly hill sessions are my current favourite sessions.
    3 miles cool down: 9:44 9:52 9:38
    9 miles daily total

Sunday 12 April
    am: 4 miles recovery

Felt super this morning. Really had to hold back from letting the legs take off. I'm amazed that since I started my hill sprints in February that my legs and ass have never felt sore once. They really feel stronger and more powerful than ever.
    9:56 avg pace

Just an easy jaunt and can't believe the pace to be honest. In general this week there seems to be a bit of an improvement with the pace of the easy and recovery runs. Everything just feels like it's slotting nicely into place at the moment.
    9:26 avg pace
    8.5 daily total

Sleep has improved a bit this week. I'm having actual dreams and not nightmares and getting into a really nice deep sleep for a few hours at a time. I do wake regularly but get back into the deep sleep again and get to finish the dreams and tweak them so they always have a happy ending :) Averaging 6ish hours per night which is a big improvement.

AIS and Lunge Matrix routine before every run and Myrtl routine after Monday's, Wednesday's and Saturday's sessions.
    Happy with the week and enjoyed it SO much. And the best thing about it is that when I wake up in the morning, I can do it all again next week!

54.5 miles weekly total

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Delighted to hear the improvements in sleep :) great work on the sessions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Sounds like a super week Ososlo. It's all coming together very nicely :)

Bit of a strange week... A step back with mileage and intensity but not through choice.

Monday 13 April
    Rest

Had weak spells here and there throughout the day and felt generally devoid of any zing or zest. Took the mature decision to take a day off. Was advised by himself to take a few easy days. Did I heed the advice? Well, yes and no....

Tuesday 14 April
    8 miles easy
    on hilly route
    Felt good when I woke up and had a great sleep! Felt I nipped whatever was wrong with me Monday in the bud. Was going to do my session but the wise words from yesterday rung in my ears so took the advice and went with a lovely easy but hilly run today where I didn't let my heart rate go beyond easy for the whole thing and still delighted to see the pace reasonable with the very easy effort. Was very hot too. Hit 18 degrees during this!
    9:47 avg pace

Wednesday 15 April
    2 x 17 mins at HEAE
    (last 3 mins progressively faster)
    Felt good and strong and back to normal this morning, or so I thought. Was delighted I was sensible enough to take Monday off and run easy Tuesday. I chose to ignore the 'few' easy days bit and launched head first into the session.
    Warm up: 9:33 9:13 8:58 (Can't believe how 'fast' this was as it felt SO easy!)
    17 mins: 8:07 8, 7:48 (pace)
    5 mins recovery at 10:20 pace
    17 mins: 8, 7:50 (pace)
    1 min @ 7:29
    1 @ 7:15
    1 @ 7
    Felt ****ing great on this session but last 3 mins were downhill so cheated a bit.
    Best thing is my easy pace seems to be quickening a lot!!!
    Did by feel. Didn't want to stop the faster bits as enjoying them so. This was a very heartening run. The time for the full 10 miles was just a few seconds slower than my 10 mile PB and it included 6ish very easy warm up or recovery miles!!! Buzzin' for ages after this one. Some maybe call it a "complex session" but for me the variation in the session kept me focused and interested and stimulated throughout. Loved this! Fun, fun, an more FUN was had today!
    10 miles at 8:54 avg pace

Thursday 16 April
    5 miles recovery

Local park, round and round I went round Ososlo Demesne. Fairly sure it was Belcarra I kept meeting running with a group in the opposite direction. Bit awkward as we've never actually met but we both kinda know who each other are I THINK!

Friday 17 April
    Had a weird day. Felt weak all day. Very odd. Obviously didn't run today. Had slept really well and to be honest, too well. Was in this completely comatose state the night before and never felt as tired getting out of bed. Was close to tears I was so exhausted and completely drained and even walking was a struggle. Dr Google had me down for having a variety of muscle wasting diseases :)

Looked back on my personal running diary (the one with ALL the juicy stuff)and this happened me last year. I had a day where I felt totally shagged and weak with absolutely no energy and felt like there was something seriously wrong with me but I woke the next day feeling perfectly fine.

In hindsight, shouldn't have done the session Wednesday. Should have taken the advice and run easy for another day or two as whatever was up with me Monday had returned with a vengeance.

Saturday 18 April
    am: 5 miles easy

Slept well and felt good so yet again, yesterday and Monday remains a mystery. Still kept this extremely easy and even though I don't wear hr strap anymore I'd reckon this was at about 65-70% of max hr effort.
    9:53 avg pace

Was a busy bee for the weekend as I've been awarded a super new art contract for the state so was tied to the desk for most of the day and shoulders and neck getting very sore and stiff so good to get out again and feel ffffffrrreeeee and easy for an hour or so...

Similar route to above run but in reverse. Also took a little tour up around Athletics Ireland offices. Perfect place there for me to do my strides session in the carpark. Wonder would they mind!
    Kept the effort very easy again.
    9:44 avg pace

Sunday 13 April
    am: 5 miles easy

Listened to a really cool documentary on Newstalk this morning called "Marathon Man" about John something or other, an 80 year old guy who's done 30 marathons and started running in his 50s. Part of it was following him around the night before DCM last year and on the morning of the race. I got totally caught up in the emotion of it all and started getting carried away with thoughts of wanting to do DCM this year!!! The feeling lasted 10 minutes or so as I know I wouldn't be happy with the time I'd be capable of doing this year so it's pointless. I don't want to do it for the sake of it. 2016 it is!
    9:28 avg pace (net downhill)

Thought I might do my session this evening but decided to give it another day before I do any fast stuff.
    Felt really good on both runs today.
    9:27 avg pace

AIS and Lunge Matrix before every run except before Tuesday's run. I had spent 3 hours walking around the park with my sister and her niece prior to this run and jumped straight into the run. The next morning I had a slight ache in the front of my lower leg. Coincidence? Dunno but I won't be skipping my AIS again in a hurry. Haven't had so much as a niggle in 13 months now so I'll keep doing religiously what I feel is keeping me injury and niggle free. Myrtl done after Wednesday's session. Legs feel great. RHR nice and low so should be good to get back to business in the morning!

43 miles weekly total

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

So.... "my personal running diary (the one with ALL the juicy stuff)"..... I'm intrigued :D

Solid running there even with "few easy days" :):)

Hopefully all well again tomorrow :)

martyboy48 wrote: »
    So.... "my personal running diary (the one with ALL the juicy stuff)"..... I'm intrigued :D

Solid running there even with "few easy days" :):)

Hopefully all well again tomorrow :)

ha ha I don't think you could handle it Marty;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

ha ha I don't think you could handle it Marty;)

Probably right, I'm breaking out in a sweat thinking of it :-D

43 miles weekly total - Step back week! Jaysus, high mileage for me. Well done.

I hope you are feeling better and congratulations on State contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Great session on Wednesday! Looking good.

Monday 20 April
    3 (6 x 40 sec strides @ mile effort) & 5 mins at end of strides @ 3k-5k

Felt good today. Maybe not 100% but 90% better.
    First 2 sets of strides went well but had to do the 3rd set in a different area as "my" stretch got taken over by dogs and people and leads and kids and bikes and all sorts of disruptions.

Was 2 mins into the 5 min effort at the end of the run when a guy zipped past me. I decided to try to keep up with him for the remainder of the 5 mins even though he was going at a fair clip faster than what I felt I should be doing. I didn't know what pace I was doing but it felt hard but sustainable and ended up being 7:19 pace. A bit faster than I should have been running but it felt good. I felt he could have dragged me around for a long time at that pace. How long I'm not sure but quite a while longer!!! I thanked him for a great pacing job when the 5 mins was up. I think he thought I was a bit odd. You know what? He might be right ;)
    9 miles @ 9:34 avg pace

Tuesday 21 April
    Rest. I don't often let work take precedent over my running but I had to toady

Wednesday 22 April
    6 miles easy

Round the Demesne and passing Morton Stadium I spotted RayCun and ecoli on the last few laps of their 10,000m. 25 laps!!! OMFG! Actually I think I'd quite like to run a long distance on a track. I like repetition and I ever get bored running around in circles. Someday...
    9:43 avg pace

Thursday 23 April
    2 x 10mins & 2 x 5 mins at 5 mile effort off 3 mins

Wasn't feeling the May West really since I woke up. RHR a tiny bit up and just felt a bit off but I just put it down to pre-session nerves.
    10mins: 7:52 7:49
    10mins: 7:44 7:47
    5mins: 7:42
    5mins: 7:37
    Happy with the paces in hindsight but it did feel like very hard work and a bit harder than it should. Kept an eye on the watch for this one as I was trying to hit 7:45-50 for the reps. Hated checking the watch. I think I'm turning more 'feely' as time goes on... but I think it did make me work harder... but I wasn't as relaxed as when I don't look at it.
    9 miles @ 9:12 avg pace

Friday 24 April
    6 miles recovery

Kept the effort very easy and enjoyed it all until I swallowed a fly on the last mile and spent it dry retching, jogging and walking. Puke. Met my neighbour who was a good Raheny runner in his day and has started back running in his 60s. He told me he didn't recognise me when he saw me running towards him as I've gotten so skinny. Perfect running weight so:D
    9:55 avg pace

Saturday 25 April
    6 miles easy

Quick easy few miles prior to a trip to town and some drinks, and some more drinks, and then a few more to follow.
    9:41 avg pace

Sunday 26 April
    10 miles including 60 mins @ AT (2 hr race effort)

Last time I did this exact run on this exact route 2 weeks ago the paces were:
    8:50 8:45: 8:47 8:44 8:43 8:39

Today's paces: 8:38 8:39 8:34 8:34 8:22 8:14 8:07

This was one of the best runs I've ever done. It was effortless and pleasant and enjoyable and wonderful. I felt like I was an outsider watching someone else do it. I just sat back and enjoyed the ride. It never felt like work. Breathing seamless and legs were full of zip, I felt light and smooth on my feet and glided along and every part of my body felt relaxed. I broke my 10 mile pb by a minute for the full run. I didn't purposely run it progressively but I just felt so good it just happened naturally. At no point did I want to stop. I kept an eye on the watch for the first few miles as I feel I can be a bit lazy on these long runs and wanted to keep it in or around 8:40 pace. When I saw I that that pace was coming naturally to me on the first 2 miles I just covered up the watch and did the rest by feel.
    I really feel I've made a breakthrough in the last few weeks and this run confirms it to me.
    Boy do I love running...
    10 miles @ 8:46 avg pace 1:27 time

46 miles weekly total

Was a bit of a step back again in mileage this week due to work commitments. I hope to get back my normal 55ish miles per week from this week as things calm down for me on the work front.
    AIS and Lunge Matrix before every run and Myrtle after runs on Monday, Thursday and Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great week, O, especially at the end. Thought you were going to add "and then I woke up with a massive hangover" but no, it was the real thing! ;)

• Advertisement

That was a great week's work, looks like it's all coming together :) (you're the second person here today that has done their lsr after alcohol the night before. I am feeling very wimpy... :o )

Well done on the 10-miler O, and on the Thursday session paces. Nice to see those times!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Sunday 26 April
    10 miles including 60 mins @ AT (2 hr race effort)

Last time I did this exact run on this exact route 2 weeks ago the paces were:
    8:50 8:45: 8:47 8:44 8:43 8:39

Today's paces: 8:38 8:39 8:34 8:34 8:22 8:14 8:07

This was one of the best runs I've ever done. It was effortless and pleasant and enjoyable and wonderful. I felt like I was an outsider watching someone else do it....... just covered up the watch and did the rest by feel.
    I really feel I've made a breakthrough in the last few weeks and this run confirms it to me.
    Boy do I love running...
    10 miles @ 8:46 avg pace 1:27 time

Just catching up Ososlo. Great week and a super run on Sunday. I know people go on about LT runs etc but those AT runs are pure gold when it comes to training. Great description, sounded like you were surfing a long wave!

demfad wrote: »
    Just catching up Ososlo. Great week and a super run on Sunday. I know people go on about LT runs etc but those AT runs are pure gold when it comes to training. Great description, sounded like you were surfing a long wave!

thanks a million. That's exactly what it felt like! Just one of those memorable runs.............. I still smile when I think about it it felt that good:)
    Had a super 4 x 5 mins yesterday so seems like it wasn't just a one-off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭DocQismyJesus

Tbf you look like you've made a nice jump of late. FairPlay on the progression as it's very evident how much you've worked for it. Reckon you'll see a big payoff this summer. Best of luck

Bit of a catch up... personal life has been busy and hectic and a tad difficult lately...

Monday 27 April
    am: 35 mins recovery @ 10:20 avg pace
    pm: 35 mins easy @ 10:06 avg pace
    Was feeling shagged today and not pleasantly so ;) Yesterday's AT run definitely took it out of me. Decided to keep it short and easy today.

Tuesday 28 April
    Recovery 35 mins

Sleep very poor. Time to take a step back. Wasn't going to go out at all but this was more or less like a walk so no damage done.

Wednesday 29 April
    4 x 5 mins off 3 mins

Felt great today. Super sleep and raring to go.
    I was given a target of 7:30 pace to hit for these.
    7:31 7:26 7:25 7:25
    First 3 were ok. Last one was a bit harder mainly because there were a myriad of obstacles in my way. Soldier, guards, vans, hounds, horses, motorcycles, and the President, all got in my way so a bit of disruption to the flow. Otherwise it was a great session and I felt good after it. I was just thinking during this that this time last year there's no way in hell I could run at 7:30 pace for anything more than a minute so progress is definitely being made on the speed front.
    8.5 miles total

Thursday 30 April
    6 miles recovery

Legs felt like lead. First mile was a real slog but got better and better as it went on.
    9:50 avg pace

April total: 198.71 miles
    Surprised that the Race Police didn't call 'round this months to have a go about my lack of a race in April. I did jog a Parkrun at recovery effort with my sister but to be honest, a proper race effort just didn't fit into the training schedule this month. That'll all be rectified over the summer.

Friday 1 May
    8 x 50 sec hills

Decided to try a more challenging hill than usual but took me 4 miles to find a suitable one in the Phoenix Park. Yes there are lots and lots of hills but some of them too steep, some too short, some not steep enough. Eventually found a lovely one in the depths of the Furry Glen. I don't take splits for these. I just time the first one to get my 50 sec marker then forget the watch and just work hard and concentrate 100% on form and quick light feet and try to relax as much as possible. This is the last hill session on my base phase training plan so I don't know if I'll be doing these in the next phase of training yet. If not, I'll miss them :( They started with 30 seconds and gradually built up to 50 seconds over 3 months. Last year I launched straight into 1 min reps each week and strained my ass so delighted that I emerged unscathed from this phase of hill training and will hopefully reap the benefit of these fortnightly hill sessions.
    10.3 miles total @ 9:37 avg pace

Saturday 2 May
    R&R and s'more....

Sunday 3 May
    Plan was for 2 x 18 mins at HEAE but I couldn't find a suitable route so switched to a L(ish)SR with some hills and faster spurts. Did this around Kilkenny. Was very enjoyable and experienced 4 seasons in one day.
    10 miles total @ 9:29 avg pace
    45 miles weekly total

Usual ancillary work done every day before each run with Myrtl routine done after Wednesday, Friday and Sunday's sessions

So that's Base Phase Training complete and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I might not feel the same way about the next phase of Speed Training/5kTraining - aka 'Scary Training':o.... So less smiley faces and more sad and angry faces can be expected to feature on this log in the coming months...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

So that's Base Phase Training complete and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I might not feel the same way about the next phase of Speed Training/5kTraining - aka 'Scary Training':o.... So less smiley faces and more sad and angry faces can be expected to feature on this log in the coming months...

Will be fun, no? Especially with the strong base underneath. Would think that the progress on 5k would carry over to some longer distances too :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Would you consider running a few more races? Maybe one a month or so. Sorry couldn't resist. Good work so far this year. Whats the plan for the summer?

I think you'll surprise yourself with your improvement at speedier paces. Looking forward to seeing it all unfold. Well done on the parkrun ;) great to see you taking the plunge. Any chance of a little report?

Will be fun, no? Especially with the strong base underneath. Would think that the progress on 5k would carry over to some longer distances too :)

Fun:eek: Your idea of fun and mine are obviously two very different things!!!
    It'll be 200s and 400s and 800s off like ridiculously short recoveries!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I don't think it's mean to be fun:o or if it is I won't be working hard enough!!!
    But yes it'll all help the longer stuff eventually and that's what I'm all about ultimately! Marathon marathon marathon!!!Not made for this speed stuff.
    adrian522 wrote: »
    Would you consider running a few more races? Maybe one a month or so. Sorry couldn't resist. Good work so far this year. Whats the plan for the summer?
    ha ha nice one.
    thanks and plan is speed training starting early next week for the whole summer and plenty of 5k Park Runs and races....

It'll be 200s and 400s and 800s off like ridiculously short recoveries!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I don't think it's mean to be fun:o or if it is I won't be working hard enough!!!
    But yes it'll all help the longer stuff eventually and that's what I'm all about ultimately! Marathon marathon marathon!!!Not made for this speed stuff.

ha ha nice one.
    thanks and plan is speed training starting early next week for the whole summer and plenty of 5k Park Runs and races....

Nah, you'll work your way down to those. 3 min recoveries to start with...that's plenty isn't it?! :eek:

• Advertisement

I think you'll surprise yourself with your improvement at speedier paces. Looking forward to seeing it all unfold. Well done on the parkrun ;) great to see you taking the plunge. Any chance of a little report?

hey thanks yes I'm hoping the really 5k focused speed stuff will bring me on loads over the following weeks and months. Really prepared to get stuck in and work really hard on my obvious weakness - SPEED! Or lack thereof!
    Yes I'll get onto this week's training and this morning's run in a bit...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

More Type 2 fun i guess.

Nah, you'll work your way down to those. 3 min recoveries to start with...that's plenty isn't it?! :eek:

3 mins?????? You must be kidding!!! Those days are over! Haven't seen my training yet but I don't think there'll be any more 3 min recoveries sadly!

adrian522 wrote: »
    More Type 2 fun i guess.

Isn't interval-training always type 2? I think so anyway ....
    3 mins?????? You must be kidding!!! Those days are over! Haven't seen my training yet but I don't think there'll be any more 3 min recoveries sadly!

not even for the 600s??? You have a strict taskmaster there. The short recovery will definitely make things tough ... but I'd say racing will become a lot more fun with the speed training behind you.

not even for the 600s??? You have a strict taskmaster there. The short recovery will definitely make things tough ... but I'd say racing will become a lot more fun with the speed training behind you.

too fcuking true!!!!! 4 x 1 mile reps (at 5k race pace) will be off 90 seconds so you get the gist! Want his number?:pac:

Really? Maybe it depends on the stage o training? We started 400s a month ago and were told to take 3 minutes, more if we needed to recover. As the sessions progress, we are cutting down the recovery but it's still not an absolute set in stone length. :eek:
    Anyway, different approaches and all that. Any idea of the first session yet?
    Edit:
    Just saw above :)

too fcuking true!!!!! 4 x 1 mile reps (at 5k race pace) will be off 90 seconds so you get the gist! Want his number?:pac:

Ah, I see. I remember doing mile reps back in October I think, off a similar recovery. It's tough but really (hopefully!) not as hard as you imagine it will be.

No it's all right - not quite "there" I think!

Ah, I see. I remember doing mile reps back in October I think, off a similar recovery. It's tough but really (hopefully!) not as hard as you imagine it will be.

yeah it won't be fun but it has to be done and it will be tough. I've just no natural speed at all and no chance of me getting faster over the longer stuff (which is the aim) unless I can make big inroads into this shorter faster stuff.
    The things we do....
    But I love it really:)

yeah it won't be fun but it has to be done and it will be tough. I've just no natural speed at all and no chance of me getting faster over the longer stuff (which is the aim) unless I can make big inroads into this shorter faster stuff.
    The things we do....
    But I love it really:)

I/we know :) And back to my original point, I think you will surprise yourself on this cycle of training. Will you be including any 8-10 sec hill sprints? I love these little sessions...no fatigue but I believe they promote plenty of fast twitch fibre recruitment.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement