Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Be still my beating heart

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done A, great going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Seems like you nailed it. You're seriously selling yourself short in races based on that though. Probably not what you want to hear, but if you can run 4x1m off those recoveries there's no way you can't run faster for 3.11m in a race situation. Just my opinion. Take it or leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Awesome stuff, Ososlo ! Just brilliant to have 'that' session in the bag (along with Monday's which was nicely done too).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Great session! You toughed it out and you're fit and well prepared by managing that split on the last one. Nice and relaxed today which is perfect. IMO Let that one sink in: really easy tomorrow too. You'll need to recover and adapt over the full 2 days for that one, that's when your body will be cashing in the hard session. You can almost listen and feel the adaption after a great session like that. Delighted for you!

P.S well done on Mondays session too!
    BTW: re. race times. Your clearly coming on leaps and bounds now, your current race fitness is improving strongly. The sessions over the last few weeks are kicking in and that's reflected in that effort yesterday. You haven't sold yourself short at all, you've just kicked on big time over the past 4 weeks which is what you want to happen when doing the harder sessions. Well done! Rock on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

BOOM! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Seems like you nailed it. You're seriously selling yourself short in races based on that though. Probably not what you want to hear, but if you can run 4x1m off those recoveries there's no way you can't run faster for 3.11m in a race situation. Just my opinion. Take it or leave it.

Why would I not want to hear that? I'd be delighted to go faster of course! Let's see what happens in my next 5k in June!

I did do this session last summer and didn't do as well in the race that followed after it, however I feel like a completely different more confident runner this year.
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Well done on the session
    demfad wrote: »
    Great session! You toughed it out and you're fit and well prepared by managing that split on the last one. Nice and relaxed today which is perfect. IMO Let that one sink in: really easy tomorrow too. You'll need to recover and adapt over the full 2 days for that one, that's when your body will be cashing in the hard session. You can almost listen and feel the adaption after a great session like that. Delighted for you!

Would tend to agree with this.

Not sure how many of these types of sessions you have planned in this cycle of your training but I would be treating these as race efforts and would match the recovery accordingly (2-3 days very easy running minimum)

By the look of the number of miles you have run this year you have a base, so this should be treated as a racing block where most people would race, these sessions would replace that meaning that you probably won't need too many races to sharpen physically (although the nerves on race day are something which can't be replicated come race day so this also needs to be practiced I have found) and should hit the ground running by time you do race.

Take confidence from the session though. That is what these sessions are about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Was looking forward to reading about "that" session all week. Brilliant stuff!

Well done on the session

Would tend to agree with this.

Not sure how many of these types of sessions you have planned in this cycle of your training but I would be treating these as race efforts and would match the recovery accordingly (2-3 days very easy running minimum)

By the look of the number of miles you have run this year you have a base, so this should be treated as a racing block where most people would race, these sessions would replace that meaning that you probably won't need too many races to sharpen physically (although the nerves on race day are something which can't be replicated come race day so this also needs to be practiced I have found) and should hit the ground running by time you do race.

Take confidence from the session though. That is what these sessions are about.

thanks and yes it's all about recovery for the next 2 days and if I don't feel fully recovered by Tuesday I'll take another day before the next speed session which is the fastest one of lot so I really need to ensure I feel super fresh.
    It's basically just hard sessions and lots of recovery for this whole block.
    Appreciate your comments cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I'd agree with P here tbh.

That sessions splits .....
    Current 5k pb pace from 4 weeks ago- 7:43
    Today's splits:
    Mile 1: 7:34
    Mile 2: 7:35
    Mile 3. 7:31
    Mile 4. 7:32

But that 5k PB is very very soft according to your report at the time.

This was just for a bit of race practice to try and work on combating the race nerves so I treated it like a session. My pre-race nerves pretty much ruined my last race. I had expended so much energy worrying about the bloody thing that I was wrecked before it even started and all my energy was depleted. That coupled with the wind lead to a poor result and bad race experience.
    Instructions today were to run hard, not stress, stay RELAXED throughout and not worry about the time. It's the first of many 5k races and park runs I'll be doing over the summer, so whatever way it went, I wasn't going to be too worried about it as I can go again in a few weeks. That really took the pressure off.

The biggest positive that I can take from this race was that I didn't panic like last time and I was actually looking forward to it in some weird way. I didn't really get nervous until I was on the starting line but I did feel like getting sick during the 5 mins of standing around waiting for the off. I actually dry retched before the race smile.png

Warm up consisted of 2 miles with second mile getting progressively faster and did 6 x 20 second strides at the end.

I ran most of this race alone except for the first lap when I was mainly passing people. For the 2nd and 3rd laps the guy ahead was WAY to far for me to catch him so it was more like a time trial. Very small field. 100 runners I think and I came 5th female so that'll tell ya all you need to know about that! So I had no one really to work off/with throughout.

No splits as decided not to use the watch to help with easing the nerves and pressure but I reckon I went out a bit too quick and eased up a bit too much in the middle but I did pick it up nicely towards the end. If I had been using the watch would I have run a bit faster? Dunno... might have pushed a bit harder to get under the 24 alright. Who knows.. except for the all knowing Running Gods.

2 mile cool down and a super chat about all things running with the race director.

Report card: B-minus. A good hard effort but definitely capable of better and need to feel the pain a bit more and not go easy on myself when I don't really have to and that'll all come with more experience.

If anything I'd have expected to see the splits from this session to be quite a bit faster if it were to be a true reflection of current 5k race pace. When it comes to actually racing a 5k all out A+ effort wise etc I'd expect to see splits well below that session. Still a difficult session so congrats for nailing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Remember we talked ages back about 8m/m pace being the Holy Grail for both of us at various stages?! You have totally smashed that barrier. Well done, you've had a great week (training wise, not sleep wise poor you :( )
    That controlled stride and strong posture reminded me of a similar feeling on some of my best sessions, it's always a good sign. Lovely to see you letting the pain in too :D
    So exciting to see how these blocks of training are going to bring you on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Ososlo wrote: »
    Why would I not want to hear that? I'd be delighted to go faster of course! Let's see what happens in my next 5k in June!

I did do this session last summer and didn't do as well in the race that followed after it, however I feel like a completely different more confident runner this year.
    Thanks!

I look forward to reading about a sub 23 in your next 5k so ;)

I look forward to reading about a sub 23 in your next 5k so ;)

god that would make me so happy!

I haven't even gone sub 24 yet so one step at a time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Just catching up here A, well done on nailing that session!

annapr wrote: »
    Just catching up here A, well done on nailing that session!

Thanks Anna.
    Expect a 7% improvement in my next session;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Thanks Anna.
    Expect a 7% improvement in my next session;)

very precise ;)

annapr wrote: »
    very precise ;)

ha ha. It's a reference to the Salazar documentary on the telly last night.
    Apparently with a delivery from China of some 'phone covers', I can make a 7% improvement within a few weeks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

ha ha. It's a reference to the Salazar documentary on the telly last night.
    Apparently with a delivery from China of some 'phone covers', I can make a 7% improvement within a few weeks. :)

Hmmm. 7% of my 3:14 pb is almost exactly 14 minutes. Interesting...

davedanon wrote: »

Interesting alright. Don't know about injecting oneself though. Shudder.........

Interesting alright. Don't know about injecting oneself though. Shudder.........

If a diabetic can manage...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Funny that as my PB is 3:14 too and I also figured that out, I'm just about to start into marathon training too.

Don't think the boss man is as dodgy as AlSal though so I don't think it would fly, what ya reckon Ososlo?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

291x232xfather-ted-careful-now-picture.jpg.pagespeed.ic.QBRNvQ8jI5.jpg

wowzer wrote: »
    Funny that as my PB is 3:14 too and I also figured that out, I'm just about to start into marathon training too.

Don't think the boss man is as dodgy as AlSal though so I don't think it would fly, what ya reckon Ososlo?

:D maybe!
    BON50's been making some savage improvements lately. He's absolutely flying today:D Just sayin' like...

:D maybe!
    BON50's been making some savage improvements lately. He's absolutely flying today:D Just sayin' like...

Knew well there was something ropey about him!!!

Phone covers you say.....

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ron Gomall

We could get a bulk order of phone covers for "research purposes"...
    Make for some interesting training logs 😎

Separately, that journalist is going to find it hard going back to his local triathlons & races... He won't be able to place without getting abuse

Ron Gomall wrote: »
    We could get a bulk order of phone covers for "research purposes"...
    Make for some interesting training logs 😎

Separately, that journalist is going to find it hard going back to his local triathlons & races... He won't be able to place without getting abuse

I thought that too. Is it now an established fact that the improvements brought about by drug use are a permanent feature?

I thought that too. Is it now an established fact that the improvements brought about by drug use are a permanent feature?

My understanding is that the gains brought about by longer & increased training as a result of rapid recovery are not lost, eg if you increase your VO2 max as a result of your increased training (it wont drop off when you stop taking EPO, you will be maintaining a bigger more efficient "engine". I am not a doctor nor have I taken EPO so am basing only on what I have read. With steroids, that muscle mass seems to drop off without maintenance and is most noticable in some of the "bubble carriacutures" that I see in the gym... Haven't seen a runner on steroids yet...
    Testosterone - will give temporary spikes in performance and is commonly sold again to gym bunnies... My understanding is that when you stop taking this is that your testosterone levels return to normal,
    So Dave - EPO - the gift that keeps on giving... Disgusting I know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

My understanding is that the gains brought about by longer & increased training as a result of rapid recovery are not lost, eg if you increase your VO2 max as a result of your increased training (it wont drop off when you stop taking EPO, you will be maintaining a bigger more efficient "engine". I am not a doctor nor have I taken EPO so am basing only on what I have read. With steroids, that muscle mass seems to drop off without maintenance and is most noticable in some of the "bubble carriacutures" that I see in the gym... Haven't seen a runner on steroids yet...
    Testosterone - will give temporary spikes in performance and is commonly sold again to gym bunnies... My understanding is that when you stop taking this is that your testosterone levels return to normal,
    So Dave - EPO - the gift that keeps on giving... Disgusting I know

First of all, this log is just nuts! Sorry O for yet another hijack on my part.

Ron Gomall. You got it backwards. The lasting effects of EPO are way smaller than steroids or testosterone as it doesn't change the structure of a muscle like they do. When an athlete stops taking EPO, they have lost the vast majority of the benefit which is oxygen uptake. Vo2max values and blood values will drop off quickly as you do not have the artificial EPO to maintain those values. If you don't have the oxygen EPO produces, you cannot transport it which is what Vo2max measures.

It's why you see high altitude athletes coming back to sea level only a few days before a race as they will lose the vast majority of the benefits if their blood values drop when the adapt to sea level. Taking EPO to stopping is very similar to that. Steroids change the structure of the muscles and cells and changes the makeup whereas EPO does not.

Steroids and testosterone have always being the argument for the lasting effects on PEDs. That's not to say that EPO will not help in the long run but definitely nowhere near as much as those two.

First of all, this log is just nuts! Sorry O for yet another hijack on my part.

Ron Gomall. You got it backwards. The lasting effects of EPO are way smaller than steroids or testosterone as it doesn't change the structure of a muscle like they do. When an athlete stops taking EPO, they have lost the vast majority of the benefit which is oxygen uptake. Vo2max values and blood values will drop off quickly as you do not have the artificial EPO to maintain those values. If you don't have the oxygen EPO produces, you cannot transport it which is what Vo2max measures.

It's why you see high altitude athletes coming back to sea level only a few days before a race as they will lose the vast majority of the benefits if their blood values drop when the adapt to sea level. Taking EPO to stopping is very similar to that. Steroids change the structure of the muscles and cells and changes the makeup whereas EPO does not.

Steroids and testosterone have always being the argument for the lasting effects on PEDs. That's not to say that EPO will not help in the long run but definitely nowhere near as much as those two.

Thanks - I stand corrected
    Now must cancel those phone cases :-)

• Advertisement

Thanks - I stand corrected
    Now must cancel those phone cases :-)

No, just change the order. Get the anabolic phone cases.

Monday 1 June
    40 mins easy

Felt great. Lots of zip in the legs. No trace of 'that' session left in the legs from Saturday.
    9:40 avg pace

Tuesday 2 June
    8 x 40 secs at 400-800m effort off jog back recoveries

Enjoyed this. Found my 40 sec marker after the first one and just ran very hard on each rep. Avg pace 6:20 on the reps. This high end speedy stuff is a totally different kind of running to anything else I do. Tough going towards the end but all manageable and form felt controlled and strong. Really really enjoyed it.

Reached 1,000 miles for the year on this run. Almost 2 months earlier than last year. I feel much faster, fitter and more positive about how my running is going now compared to this time last year. The future is bright :)
    7+ miles total

Wednesday 3 June
    40 mins recovery

Was completely shagged on this. Breathing a mess. Legs felt great though.
    10:18 avg pace

Thursday 4 June
    Rest

Wrecked. Took a lot of bargaining with myself to take the day off. I really feel a day is incomplete without a run but I need to be sensible these days with recovery and ensure I'm 100% before going at it again. I'm encouraged to drop the odd run if I'm exceptionally tired. Felt very tired in general today.

Friday 5 June
    6 x 3 mins @ 2mile off 2:50 recoveries

6:58
    7:01
    6:56
    7:01
    6:58
    6:57
    Target given to me was 7 pace. A challenge alright but do-able. Warm up few miles were grand. Did my drills and went for a pee in my secret spot in the PP and launched into the reps.
    Great session. Felt really good and strong throughout. A few of the reps went slightly over 7 pace but I'm not too bothered as I put in a really good effort and hey what's a second between friends?
    Took the recoveries very handy. Really started to feel it on the 5th rep. Still recovered quickly enough to go hard again for the last one. A few secs improvement on the last time I did this session so well happy with that and had another rep or two in me if I HAD to.
    9.5 miles total

Saturday 6 June
    am: 40 mins easy
    pm: 35 mins easy

I'm not supposed to run doubles the day after a session however I felt 110% today and had slept great and have oodles of energy so applied last minute to Head Office for special permission to do a pm run. Permission granted :)
    2 lovely little runs. Not sure which was nicer. Really strange that even though I don't look at the watch on these runs (just run at easy effort) they both turned out to be 9:40min/mile pace exactly and Monday's was too!
    Ain't life odd sometimes :)

Sunday 7 June
    am: 40 mins easy breezy

Just lovely :)

mid-day - 3 mile walk around Donadea Forest. Beautiful. Really enjoyed it. Going to start doing the odd run around here when passing every few weeks from now on.

pm: 40 mins easy

40 miles weekly total
    AIS before every run except this evening's as the walk had my legs nicely loosened out! Lunge Matrix routine before every run. Myrtle routine done after Tuesday's and Friday's sessions.

Next up is a nice challenging LT run in the middle of my long run tomorrow.
    Sleep improved A LOT lately. Long may that continue.

Also have decided on Tullamore Half Marathon as my target for the Autumm. Looking forward to upping the mileage and long runs again in a few weeks once I start to focus on specific training for this. The low mileage stuff just doesn't sit well with me at the moment but I guess it does mean I'm fresher for the faster stuff. I'll make up for it in the coming months :)

If you ever need a running partner around Donadea gis a shout.

tang1 wrote: »
    If you ever need a running partner around Donadea gis a shout.

Super! I'll shout ya a few days beforehand to see if you're about.

Thursday 4 June
    Rest

Wrecked. Took a lot of bargaining with myself to take the day off. I really feel a day is incomplete without a run but I need to be sensible these days with recovery and ensure I'm 100% before going at it again. I'm encouraged to drop the odd run if I'm exceptionally tired. Felt very tired in general today.

More trouble sleeping?

Noticed this has happened the last 2 weeks the day before your big sessions. Could it be you are putting too much pressure on yourself for these sessions?

I know that these are your indicator sessions but if it is impacting your recovery it may be something that needs to be addressed and raise with your coach to see if you can tackle the issue.

More trouble sleeping?

Noticed this has happened the last 2 weeks the day before your big sessions. Could it be you are putting too much pressure on yourself for these sessions?

I know that these are your indicator sessions but if it is impacting your recovery it may be something that needs to be addressed and raise with your coach to see if you can tackle the issue.

Interesting observation!

No the sleep was actually fairly good for me. More of a physical tiredness if you know what I mean. I really don't stress before these workouts. I did a bit prior to the 4*1 mile due to the drama mainly but not any of the others. I actually really look forward to them in general.
    Will keep an eye on it though. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭FITZA

Hi Ososlo, glad to see your training is going so well....hopefully you might take a trip down Dunlavin way on 28th and bury that demon from last year :D

FITZA wrote: »
    Hi Ososlo, glad to see your training is going so well....hopefully you might take a trip down Dunlavin way on 28th and bury that demon from last year :D

Thanks FITZA. Still trying to forget last year:). Not sure it fits in this year but thanks for the reminders. Best of luck with it!

Bit of a weird week. Female stuff completely floored me for a few days. Back on track now but didn't get my planned 3 sessions in :(

Monday 8 June
    60 mins easy

Today was to be LT session in Long Run but only able for easy running. Went further than the plan allows. May Zeus strike me down for my wicked ways. I may not survive the night.
    9:30 avg pace

Tuesday 9 June
    55 mins easy
    Not up to anything more than easy. Again a bit further than I should. However it's ages since my last speed session so that's my excuse. I'll accept my punishment however... as long as it's not as bad as the last one which I refused to do under pain of death! Some things just ain't worth it ;)
    9:49 avg pace

Wednesday 10 June
    90 mins w/2 x 20 mins at LT

Did this around St. Anne's and the Coast Road. Really warm day.
    The charming over-friendly construction workers were down on the main road again and had to pass them a few times today :( Funny how some of them are able to take their tops off and carry on with their work without a care in the world yet a female jogger can't go passed without receiving jeers and sexist taunts. Perverted bastards:)

First 20 mins was grand. It was hard work but controlled and I felt nice and relaxed and focused. 8:02 avg pace.
    Took my 5 min recovery with a jog/shuffle strategy and started feeling lightheaded. The sun was beating down and I felt a bit odd. I had taken a painkiller 6 hours earlier and I think it was side effects of this along with the heat that started making me feel unwell. I did almost 15 mins of the second rep and cut the session short and jogged back to car. Happy enough with the effort despite not completing the 2 x 20 min sections fully. Don't think I'm 100% yet. I also read about a few other people who abandoned sessions or didn't perform to their best today so I'd say the heat had something to do with it too. Second 15 min section came in at 8:08 avg pace.
    10+ miles total

Thursday 11 June
    40 mins recovery

Super duper recovery run. Legs felt great but kept it as easy as possible.
    10:09 avg pace

Friday 12 June

I thought I'd lost my love for running this morning:eek:. It felt like a chore going out. I never really felt like that before. It wasn't a nice feeling. There was never a question over me not going out but I normally really look forward to it.
    10:09 avg pace
    pm: 40 mins easy
    Got my love back :D I went to Albert's College near DCU as I think I'm just sick of Santry Demesne. This was just what the doctor ordered - a change of scenery.
    9:39 avg pace

Saturday 13 June
    10x1 minute @ target pace-6:35 off 90 sec rec

6:39
    6:30
    6:33
    6:34
    6:35
    6:28
    6:30
    6:26
    6:32
    6:27
    Really happy with how this went. The middle section of Chesterfield Avenue was closed to cars so it was a great novelty to be able to use this stretch as it's lovely and flat and wide and I could run on the road uninterrupted mostly. It was very warm in mid-afternoon sunshine but not too bad for a short-ish session of reps like this. Really did push hard and stayed focused on the reps even when I was starting to feel it hurt on the last 3 or 4 reps. Hard but enjoyable workout.
    Well jealous of all the Beer Milers and supporters this evening. Fantastic weather for it too. Congratulations to everyone involved. I'll be there next year:)
    8 miles total

Sunday 14 June
    40 mins recovery

Legs were very achey today. I'm pleased about that as I never feel aches after sessions or races which makes me think I'm just not pushing it as much as I could most of the time so I felt this was a good sign today of the effort I put in yesterday.
    9:56 avg pace

46 miles weekly total
    Usual ancillary stuff done every day (AIS, Lunge Matrix) and myrtle routine after the hard sessions.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 10 June
    90 mins w/2 x 20 mins at LT

Did this around St. Anne's and the Coast Road. Really warm day.
    The charming over-friendly construction workers were down on the main road again and had to pass them a few times today :( Funny how some of them are able to take their tops off and carry on with their work without a care in the world yet a female jogger can't go passed without receiving jeers and sexist taunts. Perverted bastards:)

First 20 mins was grand. It was hard work but controlled and I felt nice and relaxed and focused. 8:02 avg pace.
    Took my 5 min recovery with a jog/shuffle strategy and started feeling lightheaded. The sun was beating down and I felt a bit odd. I had taken a painkiller 6 hours earlier and I think it was side effects of this along with the heat that started making me feel unwell. I did almost 15 mins of the second rep and cut the session short and jogged back to car. Happy enough with the effort despite not completing the 2 x 20 min sections fully. Don't think I'm 100% yet. I also read about a few other people who abandoned sessions or didn't perform to their best today so I'd say the heat had something to do with it too. Second 15 min section came in at 8:08 avg pace.

Personally I wouldn't recommend any type of session when you are on painkillers.

Aside from the Cardiac, Nervous and Gastrointestinal health implications taking them has your body, your body is also not able to suitably react to the stimulus of the session. (RPE, inflammatory response etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

46 miles. Jesus. That's the stuff of my dreams! Good going, especially while unwell :)

Personally I wouldn't recommend any type of session when you are on painkillers. Aside from the Cardiac, Nervous and Gastrointestinal health implications taking them has your body, your body is also not able to suitably react to the stimulus of the session (RPE, Inflammation response etc.)
    I thought 6 hours previously would have been ok but yeah you're probably right...
    Always the voice of reason Myles :)

Injury scare week :eek:
    Cause: 5 inch heels
    Outcome: Good :)

Monday 15 June
    9:44 avg pace

pm 40 mins easy
    9:32 avg pace
    Met Redrunner on his way home from Santry Sports Surgery Clinic and had a lovely chat. Looking very fit I must say so the cycling is obviously suiting him! Nice bike!

Tuesday 16 June
    Went to the doctor this morning for something non-running related. Anyways, he did an MOT and says that he'd like to see me put on some weight and run less. Ridiculous. He suggested that 5 days a week would be enough for me :D ha ha ha:D Time to find a new doctor. I need to lose a few pounds if anything and I won't be running less!

6x 5 mins @ 10k, 1 min jog, 1 min @ 3-5k (3 min jog between sets)

Found this really tough today. Nearly chickened out a few times so I'm giving myself 110% for effort and a big pat on the back for not pulling the plug but the paces are a tad slower than I'd like. I just can't handle heat but decided to make this as hard as possible for myself by doing this mid-day:rolleyes: also I wore the wrong knickers under my shorts so had to sort that out as discreetly as possible every 20 seconds which made for a very uncomfortable session. Towards the end of the session I'd say my fumbling around looked anything but discreet!

I found the 10k pace bit really hard to sustain, however after the one min jog recovery I had no bother at all doing the 3-5k min and actually enjoyed picking up the pace.

7:45 7:08
    7:49 7:06
    7:47 7:03
    7:59 7:33 (not sure what happened here, watch miscalculation perhaps as effort felt the same)
    7:48 7:12
    7:39 7:09

Found this session so much easier last time I did it.
    When I got back to the car I had about 20 dead flies stuck to my salty sweaty big red face. Yuck! A sight to behold I'm sure :)
    11 miles total

Wednesday 17 June
    40 mins recovery

Very busy in the Demesne tonight. Lots of running out-of-towners due to the graded races on over the fence in the stadium.
    10:03 avg pace

Thursday 18 June
    40 mins easy

Very very slow. No sleep last 2 nights which meant I really shoulda taken the day off but decided to keep it extra slow instead of doing nothing. I also had a slightly sore foot all day. Sole of foot - dead centre felt a bit tender. I wore higher than usual sandals yesterday for 10 hours that I haven't worn since last summer so think they might have been the cause. It wasn't exactly hurting me on the run but I was aware of it through most of the run. Time to ditch the heels?
    10:47 avg pace

Friday 19 June
    34 mins recovery

Sole of foot still a tiny bit niggly so did this very slow and shorter than usual and mainly on grass. Didn't wear the 5 inch offending heels today just in case.
    10:03 avg pace

Saturday 20 June
    Foot felt fine this morning. Had iced it a lot over last few days and rolled my calfs as the left one felt a bit tight (possibly related to sore sole of foot?). I probably don't roll as much as I should these days as I spend so much time doing my other ancilliary stuff I often forget about the rolling. Time to incorporate it back into the routine regularly. Was supposed to do my 4 x 1 mile session or a Parkrun today but decided against both to give the foot another bit of time to recover.
    40 mins easy
    Great news is that there wasn't a peep out of the foot when running. I can still feel it a little bit tender to the touch but I ain't taking no chances with this so easy does it until it's three billion, five thousand and thirty nine per cent perfect :-)
    9:56 avg pace

Sunday 21 June
    Foot good but still slightly tender to the touch so decided to take the day off as an extra precaution plus I was feeling a bit fed up with life and everything so just got in the car and just drove and drove and drove until I got to No-Internet Land somewhere over the rainbow which is a very very nice place indeed:)
    Should have brought my runners though:D

Weekly total: 35 miles

Did 5+ miles today and the foot was perfect, before, during and after the run and is not sore to the touch at all now. I also did a few faster spurts and all is tickety-boo so back on track this week with lots of faster stuff in the pipeline! Yay hay!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Woman and there heels, I don't understand why you put yourselves through the pain. In saying that woman do look well in them.

Yes foam roll the calves! Also do those AIS stretches J gave you to give to me, theyre specific to that injury, I know the foot is ok now but no harm to have back up plan. High heals are ok in small doses (car to bar!!!)

• Advertisement

Firedance wrote: »
    Yes foam roll the calves! Also do those AIS stretches J gave you to give to me, theyre specific to that injury, I know the foot is ok now but no harm to have back up plan. High heals are ok in small doses (car to bar!!!)

Good thinking on the ais ankle/foot stretches. I'll start incorporating them from now on to strengthen up the area in case there's a weakness there.

'car to bar' ha ha I like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Hiya! Just catching up here. A big congratulations on your progress over the last few months. It's been a breakthrough period for you and the resultant positive vibes are strong on every post. Really enjoyed the build-up to the 4X1M session and your report of its successful outcome. Looking forward now to seeing further progress over the summer.

outforarun wrote: »
    Hiya! Just catching up here. A big congratulations on your progress over the last few months. It's been a breakthrough period for you and the resultant positive vibes are strong on every post. Really enjoyed the build-up to the 4X1M session and your report of its successful outcome. Looking forward now to seeing further progress over the summer.

Ah cheers thanks ofar.
    Yes it's all going in the right direction and looking forward to knocking a chunk off the 5k time on my next Parkrun outing.
    I can't say I'm not a little envious of all those on their marathon training programmes right now but my time will come next year! Can't wait!

thanks chickey:D

Mondizzle 22 June
    52 mins easy as fu*k
    Straight-Up enjoyable lil local amble.
    9:51 avg pace

Tuesdizzle 23 June

9:32 avg pace
    Fabulous mornin so headed ta tha beach up in Portmarnock fo' a lil jaunt. Most enjoyable. Straight-up bangin' though so was glad of tha coolin sea breeze. Lotz of dirty carefree thug muthafu*kas hustlin topless. Right back up in yo muthafuc*in ass. Sad our asses hoes can't go topless too :(
    pm 40 mins easy as fu*k

9:54 avg pace
    Noticed I felt a sh*t load mo' lethargic on tha evenin run which is never tha case. I always feel betta up in tha evenings than tha mornings. Lata when lyin on tha couch I noticed mah swallowin was a lil' bit sore n' felt straight-up tired. Y'all KNOW dat s*it, muthafu*ka!

Wednesdizzle 24 June

It aint nuthin but official, I be a lil' bit sick. Went ta tha doctor. Shiiit, dis aint no joke. I have strep throat so be on antibiotics so not a god damn thang only rest fo' at least all dem days. Right back up in yo mutha****in ass. Shiznit, how tha s*it is I gonna handle this!!! I ludd hustlin:( Hustlin is pimped out. Bein sick be a gangbangin' fu*kin nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I won't ask, I'm obviously too old!

Jonny Rotten was radical in my day :)

TbL

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement