Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Be still my beating heart

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Firedance wrote: »
    in XC its all about position

I thought it was a Parkrun. Am I mistaken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

davedanon wrote: »
    I thought it was a Parkrun. Am I mistaken?
    no you're not mistaken, I was just saying (badly obviously) that when you race XC its position not time, comparing it to O's experience in the parkrun and that its fun to do that, I didn't mean she was running a XC race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Great Report this week this Week Os. So much going on, for some day especially your Monday report. What 1/2 Marathon are you targeting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Great Report this week this Week Os. So much going on, for some day especially your Monday report. What 1/2 Marathon are you targeting?
    Tnx Greenmachine. It's Tullamore Half at end August.
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Great report, Ososlo. Well done on the podium and on holding off #3! Nice work the rest of the week too. Sorry to hear someone close is in hospital, I hope they feel better soon.
    Cheers BG and Hillsiderunner. I shoulda said that we got good news late last week. All looking very positive!
    you would have met me! damm, pity, next time hopefully :)
    Oops it was Shanganagh I was going to do the Parkrun, not Cabinteeley! The Southside is like a foreign country to me:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Not easy to be the front runner, I'd imagine (having never had the privilege). You gave it a lash, that's the main thing. I'd imagine a few more of these and your RAD will be gone forever. Well done - I see you pushed her to a PB so that's always a good sign ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

And no stitch right?

Very good news (Dad and stitch)

Murph_D wrote: »
    Not easy to be the front runner, I'd imagine (having never had the privilege). You gave it a lash, that's the main thing. I'd imagine a few more of these and your RAD will be gone forever. Well done - I see you pushed her to a PB so that's always a good sign ;)

I may never have the privilege myself again so yes I'm glad I just gave it a good old lash! Thinking back, I felt a bit vommity during the second mile. I was probably running way too hard too soon just trying to stay ahead and paid for it badly towards the end by slowing a lot!
    And no stitch right?

Very good news (Dad and stitch)

Thank you yes fantastic news.
    And yes I meant to mention about the stitch. Not even an inkling of one and I didn't do anything differently this time. It's a bit of a mystery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Hey, well done! Great to see you mention 'fun' in the same sentence as 'race' :D
    It also occurred to me that you might be increasing stress levels when you 'internalise' (race against yourself/the watch) but you 'have fun' when you 'externalise' ie race against someone else?! Is that too much of a simplification? Great report anyway and of course I'm going to like the naked racing approach :D

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Hey, well done! Great to see you mention 'fun' in the same sentence as 'race' :D
    It also occurred to me that you might be increasing stress levels when you 'internalise' (race against yourself/the watch) but you 'have fun' when you 'externalise' ie race against someone else?! Is that too much of a simplification? Great report anyway and of course I'm going to like the naked racing approach :D

Ah no I really didn't 'have fun'. Bad choice of words! But it was an interestingly different and positive experience to race people for an actual position.
    No, I'll never really have fun doing a 5k or a 10k. Just not for me I'm afraid. I've tried to embrace it but it hasn't happened yet. I do enjoy a lot of my faster sessions, but in a race situation it all becomes too much and I'm not performing as well as I should. I will get better at it I'm sure with more experience but I'm not sure I'll ever find it 'fun'.
    This shorter stuff is just a means to getting quicker for the longer stuff though. Now a marathon next year, that will be fun. Well it will be if my second is anything like my first! Can't bloody wait!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Ososlo wrote: »
    Now a marathon next year, that will be fun.

Yup, polar opposites....;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

If you hate 5k and 10k so much, and love doing the marathon then why wait til next year. This isn't a Fionnuala Britton type masterplan of looking to peak in 12 months time for Rio. If you like doing marathons then do one this year and ditch the short stuff. It's impossible to like every aspect of our training and racing, but if you are really hating racing these short distances, then start racing longer distances more often. 10 mile, half marathon, and look towards an Autumn Marathon. You'll get the same nerves before each race, regardless of distance, trust me. If you've trained for something, regardless of whether you like the event or not, you will be a nervous wreck beforehand. This happens to most people. The only way of getting comfortable with this is to experience it frequently. It does get easier with experience, but the nerves are always there.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    If you hate 5k and 10k so much, and love doing the marathon then why wait til next year. This isn't a Fionnuala Britton type masterplan of looking to peak in 12 months time for Rio. If you like doing marathons then do one this year and ditch the short stuff. It's impossible to like every aspect of our training and racing, but if you are really hating racing these short distances, then start racing longer distances more often. 10 mile, half marathon, and look towards an Autumn Marathon. You'll get the same nerves before each race, regardless of distance, trust me. If you've trained for something, regardless of whether you like the event or not, you will be a nervous wreck beforehand. This happens to most people. The only way of getting comfortable with this is to experience it frequently. It does get easier with experience, but the nerves are always there.

Well I am training for a half now but just wanted to get in a 5k effort to work on the race nerves, just to get used to lining up etc...
    I'll probably do a few halves next year too before DCM and maybe even Waterford half in December this year...

Naw, defo not doing a marathon this year until I'm a bit faster. I know I said for me it's all about the marathon but I still want to work on my speed before doing it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Well I am training for a half now but just wanted to get in a 5k effort to work on the race nerves, just to get used to lining up etc...
    I'll probably do a few halves next year too before DCM and maybe even Waterford half in December this year...

Naw, defo not doing a marathon this year until I'm a bit faster. I know I said for me it's all about the marathon but I still want to work on my speed before doing it again.

Well approach it like this so:

The marathon is the main goal, the half marathon the main short term goal, and the 5k and 10k is just a means to an end. Your results in them do not matter in the grand scheme of things. Just get out there and run hard. Think of it like that and you shouldn't be getting half as nervous as you do as they are not goal races.

I don't get near as nervous for a 100 or 200 as I do for a 400, but still get enough nerves to benefit from that adrenaline rush.

I'm not going to tell you not to get nervous, or to enjoy the lead up to the race, as that would be hypocrisy on my part. Rather my advice is to accept it for what it is, and learning how to cope with it is as important a skill as you can develop. It's as important as good technique, good endurance, good recovery etc. We train to race in the end of the day. We don't train to train, otherwise we'd be joining up with that crossfit fad. :)

Just by the by, my experience of pre-race nerves is more likely to be that awful sensation that all the energy is being sucked out of your body and feeling completely lifeless. I'd much rather a teeth-chattering adrenaline rush. Maybe count your blessings.

Well approach it like this so:

The marathon is the main goal, the half marathon the main short term goal, and the 5k and 10k is just a means to an end. Your results in them do not matter in the grand scheme of things. Just get out there and run hard. Think of it like that and you shouldn't be getting half as nervous as you do as they are not goal races.

yep good advice, that's it in a nutshell!
    Rather my advice is to accept it for what it is, and learning how to cope with it is as important a skill as you can develop. It's as important as good technique, good endurance, good recovery etc. We train to race in the end of the day. We don't train to train, otherwise we'd be joining up with that crossfit fad. :)
    Again, great advice. Agree with you 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

My two cents on the race nerves issue for what it's worth. There is a lot of talk about positivity and adopting a positive attitude. There have been many books and articles written on the subject and the perceived accepted wisdom is that it's a disadvantage to have anything other than a 100% positive attitude. The typical American your awesome approach is the recommended model. I kind of went along with this until recently when I had something of an epiphany and realised that it's almost impossible to change your nature. People are genetically geared to either be positive or negative and no matter how they try to change, when under stress they will default toward their natural leaning. It's far more beneficial imo to try and harness your nature than try to change it. All my life the voice in my head has been largely negative, if I'm leading a race by a mile with half a mile to go that voice is telling me I'm going to get caught. For me trying to be positive in a stress situation has a negative outcome and blindy trying to be positive is exhausting for me so I let the negative inner voice have its say and prove it wrong. What you Ososlo need to do (imo) when your stressing about a race is not to try to stop stressing but rather to harness that stress and use it to manufacture a positive outcome. Only you can determine how to do that because you are the only one who knows what happens in your own head but I believe your actually stressing about being stressed rather than just accepting it as something in your natural makeup that is as much part of you as your finger prints or eye colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,714 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Accept your stress and get on with it. One foot in front of the other. It's not like sitting a life changing exam, or stepping into a boxing ring. You are alone, comfy and completely in charge of what you want to do. That's the beauty of a race!

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Only you can determine how to do that because you are the only one who knows what happens in your own head but I believe your actually stressing about being stressed rather than just accepting it as something in your natural makeup that is as much part of you as your finger prints or eye colour.
    thank fcuk for that:D
    Cheers thanks for the feedback. 'Stressing about being stressed'... hmmmm... you might be onto something there. Thought provoking... cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Hey. I haven't been around much lately, but see you ran a parkrun at the weekend. I really find it odd that you were well above your pb when you managed to complete this so comfortably back in May:
    Saturday 30 May
    4 x 1 mile @ 5k off 90 sec rec:eek: (Attempt 2!)

Current 5k pb pace from 4 weeks ago- 7:43
    Today's splits:
    Mile 1: 7:34
    Mile 2: 7:35
    Mile 3. 7:31
    Mile 4. 7:32

24:42 is just about 8:00 min/mile pace, yet you completed 4x1m (6.4k with shortish recoveries) in close to 7:30 min/mile pace. Does it not seem strange to you that you struggled at a pace much slower than a session you completed on your own relatively recently?

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Hey. I haven't been around much lately, but see you ran a parkrun at the weekend. I really find it odd that you were well above your pb when you managed to complete this so comfortably back in May:

24:42 is just about 8:00 min/mile pace, yet you completed 4x1m (6.4k with shortish recoveries) in close to 7:30 min/mile pace. Does it not seem strange to you that you struggled at a pace much slower than a session you completed on your own relatively recently?
    Yeah I do, but there are a few possible reasons why:
    I was sick a few weeks ago and on antibiotics for ten days and feel I lost a bit of fitness.
    I was fresher before that session than I was before the race.
    I wasn't wearing the watch for the race and I feel my pacing was probably atrocious. First 2 miles probably way too fast.
    I had a very stressful week so mind was possibly not as focused. A few slower than expected sessions earlier in week.
    I do feel 7:30 pace should be doable for me again soon and hope to be back to where I was again asap. Defo slower than it should have been at weekend!!!!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

First day back from my holidays :D. I missed the one in the Phoenix park, I may try and get out for this and shoot for the 6 minute group and try hang on the first 1200m or so :D

Anyone know if Oso's alright? No mileage logged for a while now...

hopefully so, I had pm'd her too so hopefully she'll come on and tell us all is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Apparently herself and DrQ came face to face in the Phoenix park last week. I'm not linking this to her absence but if there is a search for her, I'd check DrQs new patio first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

Apparently herself and DrQ came face to face in the Phoenix park last week. I'm not linking this to her absence but if there is a search for her, I'd check DrQs new patio first!

Ah yes, she mentioned something about going to the zoo alright :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Best of luck in Tullamore if you are still doing it - hope it goes well for you.

Thanks for the nice messages and pms. Much appreciated.

I let the log rest for a bit for personal reasons but I feel I should allay concerns about reposing under dr.quirky's patio by dropping in with a quick post to let you know I'm alive and kicking running!

I'll update properly soon but a very brief re-cap while I'm here:

July: 210 miles
    August: 202 miles
    Yearly total: 1,530

Currently on a 2 week running break. I'm totally shattered in every way so it's perfect timing and badly needed!

Happy training gentlemen and wimmen :)
    Over and out ... for now. Back soon!

Better update this before it withers away into oblivion. The plan is to update regularly from now on.

So I was sentenced to a 2 week running break the first 2 weeks of September. I didn't find it as difficult to serve my time as I did last year. It was badly needed due to personal circumstances but in saying that I was getting quite itchy to be back at it by day 10 or so. It was certainly a test of endurance for the last few days! A sneaky run was done on day 13 but we won't mention that ;)

Met the boss during my break and got lots of great training advice and tips on ancillary stuff and positional release techniques etc and a lot more to boot. Great to finally meet him. He gave me a book by Scott Jurek which I devoured in about 2 days. Great reading. Full of fantastic vegan recipes too.
    I got some blood tests back a few days before I got this book which suggest my cholesterol is slightly high and it could be my intake of dairy products like cheese and eggs causing it so I'm trying a mainly vegan diet at the moment (vegetarian already). The book was a like a sign from the running gods that I need to make some changes. Now if only I could cook :(

Iron levels and thyroid and Vitamin D and everything else are perfect. The doctor was very very surprised when my results came back, that a vegetarian female, running 50ish miles avg a week doesn't need to take supplementary iron. Bit of a ridiculous opinion imo. As long as you fuel your body correctly there's no reason you should be deficient of anything regardless of running and being vegetarian, female etc. My sister has been a vegan for years and dances for hours everyday and she is also very healthy and don't need no supplements.

On the training front, I've just been building back up very gradually and safely over the past 3 weeks (more slowly than I'd like) but enjoying every step. I'll never EVER take it for granted about how amazing it is to be able to do what I love to do every day (or sometimes twice a day if I'm a very very good girl!) - RUN. We're a lucky bunch folks! Well, except the poor injured folks :(

I'll probably target Waterford in December for my sub 1:50 attempt unless I can find something a bit sooner. I did Waterford as my first half marathon and thoroughly enjoyed it so have good memories of that race so it might be a nice one to target. I might revise the target a bit depending on how the next few weeks and months go. I'll also do a Parkrun this month to see where I'm at with the shorter stuff but I think I'd like a few sessions in the legs first to wake them up a bit.

Monday 14 September
    35 mins easy @ 9:47
    A new beginning
    First run in 2 weeks. Loved this. Slight autumnal chill in the air and my hands felt a little numb for the first time in months. Definitely my favourite time of the year to run.

Tuesday 15 September
    35 mins easy @ 9:48

Wednesday 16 September
    35 mins super easy @ 11:24
    With one of my sisters. First run in the Phoneix Park in absolutely ages. It felt like being home again :) Nowhere like the Phoenix Park in all it's autumnal splendour at this time of the year. Enjoyable run but my sis does love to chat. A lot.

Thursday 17 September
    35 mins easy @ 9:50
    Net downhill to get the car. Headed out wearing sunglasses but the sun sank super-fast on the way so was almost dark by the time I got to Griffith Ave.

Friday 18 September
    35 mins easy @ 9:52
    Felt great tonight despite sleep being very poor for the last few days or weeks, or months actually.. nothing new there then!

Saturday 19 September
    35 mins easy @ 10
    Local loops. Need to start extending the time running soon PLEASE! If I was left to my own devices I'd definitely be doing a lot more on the first week back. I'd probably have done 10 miles today. I might have even jumped in to a Parkrun. Probably just as well I've someone keeping an eye on things...

Sunday 20 September
    50 mins easy @ 9:56
    In the lashings of rain. I was Wet, Wet Wet! Had the park to myself due to the weather and the football. Bliss :)

Weekly total: 28 miles

Monday 21 September
    am: 40 mins easy @ 9:44
    pm: 40 mins easy @ 9:58
    I've been drinking way too much of late and am starting to feel it going about my day to day business so knocking it on the head for the rest of the week at least.

Tuesday 22 September
    40 mins easy @ 9:56

Wednesday 23 September
    40 mins easy @ 9:53
    First decent night's sleep (6+hrs uninterrupted) for absolutely months but felt really wrecked getting up as I was in this extremely deep deep sleep but was cruelly wrenched from it about 3 hours too soon. Life can be a bastard.

Thursday 24 September
    40 mins easy @ 9:53
    Another fantastic night in the sack :-) but like previous night I felt totally wrecked getting up and throughout the day. Another really deep almost comatose-like sleeps last night. Wrecked all day. I think I feel better during the day when I sleep badly! Maybe my body just isn't used to real sleep. I dunno...

Friday 25 September
    No running. Had to go to a la-dee-da function thingy and pretend to be interested. A few drinks (naughty naughty) made it a bit easier to feign interest ... .. However, I then spotted this guy across the room and my night was instantly transformed. I was a bit awe struck but chatted away happily once I managed to contain my excitement.

Saturday 26 September
    am: 35 mins hangover recovery @ 10:21 (blame Ronnie ;))
    pm: 40 mins recovery @ 9:47

Sunday 27
    65 mins easy @ 9:45

35 miles weekly total

Monday 28 September
    45 mins easy @ 9:59
    Watch was messed up. This was faster than that in reality. In Kilkenny.
    pm: 40 mins easy @ 9:49
    Back in Dublin

Tuesday 29 September
    34 mins torture @ 10:11
    This is my first time running early morning before work. No breakfast, no loo, no coffee, no sleep previous night, no AIS or Lunge Matrix prior to run. Nothing. Well it was horrible. I hated it. Breathing ridiculous and legs felt wrecked. Nothing pleasant about this run. Had another la-dee-da even function thingy that night so had to get this done early. Should have been 45 mins but I just couldn't do it. Wish I hadn't bothered at all as I got nothing positive out of it and I have never felt that way before about a run. UGH! If running felt like that regularly I'd give it up in a heartbeat. I did up to 20 mile runs prior to DCM '13 on empty (no breakfast) and never had any problems so not sure what that was about.

Wednesday 30 September
    am: 40 mins @ 9:40
    pm: 45 mins @ 9:43
    Well this was a weird one. I had a horrible hangover and absolutely zero sleep but both these runs felt great and pace much quicker than usual. Felt very fit and could have kept going forever. Ain't life weird sometimes?

Thursday 1 October
    45 mins easy @ 9:42
    Local loops. Nice :-) Feelin' good.

Friday 2 October
    45 mins easy @ 9:36
    A bit too fast for easy but I'm putting it down to a combination of my fitness levels returning after my break and the fact that I'm doing very little running and everything I am doing is easy so have plenty of energy. Oh and of course not drinking the last few days :-)

Saturday 3 October
    80 mins easy @ 9:41
    As above. A slight bit too fast. My legs are just raring to go though. Delighted to be able to get to the Phoenix Park again today. It's always such a treat. It was full of shagged-looking but happy lsr DCM runners one of whom kindly offered me a slug of his Lucozade Sport bottle on the S-Bends. Didn't need it as it was a short easy one for me, but thank you again kind stranger :) I felt like part of a running community today. Nice!

Sunday 5 October
    am: 40 mins easy @ 9:49
    Felt tired running this morning. Was awake a lot during the night but did sleep well for long periods here and there.
    pm: 45 mins @ 9:46
    Run up to the airport and back. Lovely night for it.

Weekly total: 51 miles

Next week sees the introduction of another double with the single days being extended time-wise along with the long run also, so mileage-wise I should be back to where I was prior to the break. Then I'll be able to introduce a little bit of variety and turn things up another notch on the mileage front.

I've been really good avoiding alcohol lately. Didn't have a single drop since Tuesday's function and even though I had a lovely bottle of pinot chilling in the fridge last night I didn't bother with it as I didn't really feel like it. Will try going completely cold-turkey all next week.

Oh and AIS done every single day since my return and twice on the double days and Lunge Matrix most days. I've been neglecting Myrtl lately but we were reunited on the floor earlier in all our old positions so all is righted in the wonderful world of Ososlo again.

• Advertisement

Great to have you back logging. And back to 50+ miles p/w already :)

Lovely pic too!

Great to have you back logging. And back to 50+ miles p/w already :)

Lovely pic too!

thanks BG! I'll definitely get back to logging properly now as I did miss it so that's the last of the monster-post updates!

Hope you've recovered from today and have well-deserved glass in hand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good going. And you can send that Pinot down here if you're not using it. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Eggs contain cholesterol but it has long since been proven that they certainly do not cause high cholesterol in humans. In fact they are probably the most healthy things you can eat. I'd be very reticent to give them up given all the nutrients they contain ( especially being a vegetarian). Good luck and maybe see you in Waterford.

welcome back! the place hasn't been the same without you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Great to have you back, I had only just finished reading your log when you took a wee break so it's nice to have the next series to look forward to :)

A new beginning
    First run in 2 weeks. Loved this. Slight autumnal chill in the air and my hands felt a little numb for the first time in months. Definitely my favorite time of the year to run.

+1 to this. It's also my favorite time of the year. My Mum could never understand why I welcomed the darker nights closing in but I always loved hearing the crunch of the leaves underfoot when I walked home from school and it's translated into my running now too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Welcome back! If you want company on a local route just let me know. Anna has moved on so here to help, and no I'm not ready to talk about yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

aquinn wrote: »
    Welcome back! If you want company on a local route just let me know. Anna has moved on so here to help, and no I'm not ready to talk about yesterday.

What do you mean? Are you dumping me in public? By boards post? :pac:

O, great to have you back posting, logging and running!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Nice to see you back A ...and sparing a thought for us poor injured folks ;-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Good to have you back. The Clontarf half is on again in November if you don't want to travel far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Good to see you back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

menoscemo wrote: »
    Eggs contain cholesterol but it has long since been proven that they certainly do not cause high cholesterol in humans. In fact they are probably the most healthy things you can eat. I'd be very reticent to give them up given all the nutrients they contain ( especially being a vegetarian).

I heard the same thing, it is saturated fat that does it - so maybe reduce the cheese? Or not maybe ... I got my cholesterol tested a couple of years ago because "all my friends were doing it" & I felt way out of touch not having a clue ... anyway mine was also a bit high (things like curry chips and butter responsible over here ;) ) ... and in my case it was the bad-type of cholesterol that was on the high side. Anyway when I spoke to the Doctor he said that I was healthy and a regular runner and even though I said I'd try to reduce the butter etc he kind of said not to worry about it ;).

I read something online that says high cholesterol is less likely to cause heart problems in women unless we're well past middle-age. So you have a year or two left ...
    RedRunner wrote: »

Yes thank you (humble icon)

Nice to see the posts again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

I then spotted this guy across the room ....

That's a lovely photo of a great running legend - and Ronnie looks well too:D!

I was lucky enough to get to hear him speak in City Hall a few years back (thanks to a tip-off here by RayCun, IIRC). I was fascinated at his description of his sense of destiny at such a young age. Others described him as arrogant afterwards, but I know a lot of arrogant people and none of them have a gold medal to back up their talk.

Great to see you back logging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I worked with Ronnie on a project over a couple of months a few years ago, and I wouldn't describe him as arrogant at all. He was a pleasure to work with, and has stayed in touch ever since.
    He wasn't humble, but why should he be?
    What I thought was interesting was the contrast between his pleasant personality and his absolute self-belief and drive to win; I think maybe world-class competitors in whatever field need that in order to succeed -- certainly if he hadn't had it he wouldn't have had the confidence to leave a secure job in order to train. (Sorry for going OT, O. Log hijack over).

aero2k wrote: »

I was lucky enough to get to hear him speak in City Hall a few years back (thanks to a tip-off here by RayCun, IIRC). I was fascinated at his description of his sense of destiny at such a young age. Others described him as arrogant afterwards, but I know a lot of arrogant people and none of them have a gold medal to back up their talk.

I think this is a not so nice Irish trait, kind of 'who does he think he is' sort of attitude? We seem to think self belief = conceited :rolleyes: if you don't believe you can do it, you probably won't.

Lovely pic BTW :)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Eggs contain cholesterol but it has long since been proven that they certainly do not cause high cholesterol in humans. In fact they are probably the most healthy things you can eat. I'd be very reticent to give them up given all the nutrients they contain ( especially being a vegetarian). Good luck and maybe see you in Waterford.

Spanish omelette for me tea so!
    Yes I have since looked into it a bit more and agree with you. It seems like it's a bit of an old wives tale that eggs are the cause. It's a bit concerning that doctors are still spouting this stuff.
    welcome back! the place hasn't been the same without you :)

What a lovely thing to say. Thanks AM :)
    Neady83 wrote: »
    Great to have you back, I had only just finished reading your log when you took a wee break so it's nice to have the next series to look forward to :)
    Cheers Neady. Enjoying your log too. You're setting yourself up nicely for a superb DCM debut. You're going to enjoy the day so much! Nothing like your first;)
    aquinn wrote: »

Lovely offer thanks so much A. Must head over Clontarf/St.Anne's way someday soon. It's been too long...
    It'll be very interesting to read your report from the xc from a first timer's point of view. Once you're over the trauma of course!

annapr wrote: »
    O, great to have you back posting, logging and running!

Thanks mrs. All your ducks are lining up nicely for 18 days time! You're gonna nail it.
    RedRunner wrote: »

Thanks R. You still going to SSC? Saw you the other day in our usual spot in town btw. Still looking fit:)
    Dub13 wrote: »
    Good to have you back. The Clontarf half is on again in November if you don't want to travel far.
    Oh yes! Forgot about that one. Thanks!
    How's your training going?
    Darren 83 wrote: »
    Good to see you back
    Hey stranger! Long time since I've heard from you. How are you getting on? What've you been up to? Races? Training? Life?
    and thanks :-)

Lovely offer thanks so much A. Must head over Clontarf/St.Anne's way someday soon. It's been too long...

Do! We are great over here :D
    It'll be very interesting to read your report from the xc from a first timer's point of view. Once you're over the trauma of course!

Yes it will. Aquinn ?

Cheers aero2k. I really do get an awful lot out of having a log here. Where's yours?:)

Ronnie certainly didn't come across in any way arrogant when speaking to him one-to-one. Quite the gentleman and interested in my exploits which surprised me no end!

I really hope you're doing ok. You brought a tear to many an eye the other morning with your beautiful post about your lovely ma. Mind yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

I've been training don't know why I don't update the log, I haven't raced in a while but will be running xc on Sunday.

I heard the same thing, it is saturated fat that does it - so maybe reduce the cheese?...

I think you're onto something with the cheese. I used to eat way too much of it. Has to be a contributing factor. I don't think I can completely give it up but I will severely limit it.
    Yes thank you (humble icon)

Nice to see the posts again.

thanks and I am really 'praying' that the running gods will give you a break (not literally!!!) soon. Frustrating for you to say the least but you seem to be dealing with things ok... I hope.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement