Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Be still my beating heart

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Darren 83 wrote: »
    I've been training don't know why I don't update the log, I haven't raced in a while but will be running xc on Sunday.

Ah do Darren. I've always enjoyed following your log and it'd be great to know in more detail what you're up to.
    Good luck with the xc! Seems that's what all the cool kids are doing these days! I'll look forward to the xc report on Sunday evening on your log:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Ososlo wrote: »
    thanks and I am really 'praying' that the running gods will give you a break (not literally!!!) soon.

hee hee :)

(I actually parkrun volunteered at the weekend to scrape up a bit of running karma)

I have done tiny little bits of C25k-style running by now and if all goes well there will be proper running in a few weeks time :). Hoping that after this I'll have all the experience to detect all-upcoming-injuries in the earliest stages & back off immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

Cheers aero2k. I really do get an awful lot out of having a log here. Where's yours?:)

I have loads of logs - they're all from a tree I cut down a few years ago.:D We haven't met IRL, but I'm pretty quiet, I prefer to let my feet do the talking. If we meet at an A/R forum beers, I'll be the guy sitting in the corner listening to everyone else chat, making the odd comment. Like the people on here that I've actually met, my online personality is much the same - I lurk a lot, and post occasionally. I did do a retrospective sort of log for a while, but the discipline I have for training didn't extend to writing about it. Also, I'd really feel uncomfortable having my training subjected to scrutiny in the lead-up to a target race - I was talking to someone the other night about DCM and I nearly had to hang up as I just want to trust in the training now and not second-guess anything.

Anyway, I have a habit of hijacking other logs, so I don't need one myself.
    Ronnie certainly didn't come across in any way arrogant when speaking to him one-to-one. Quite the gentleman and interested in my exploits which surprised me no end!

I've had a similar experience with another champion - it really is touching, and says a lot about their character.
    I really hope you're doing ok. You brought a tear to many an eye the other morning with your beautiful post about your lovely ma. Mind yourself.

Apparently my eulogy at the church had a similar effect. I'm usually reluctant to speak in public (or post online) in case I make people cry, but for different reasons....:)

I'm doing great, thanks. I'm pretty Zen about most things, and for me this is part of the normal cycle of life. I was pretty emotional last week, and I'm sure it'll be the same in the coming weeks. Last year's DCM was on my 50th, and Ma managed to get herself to the 15 mile mark to wish me a happy birthday - a feat much more difficult for her than the race was for me. This year's race is on my late father's birthday, and with so many places of personal significance along the race route I know it will be an emotional journey. She'll be with me every step of the way.

aero2k wrote: »
    . She'll be with me every step of the way.

Of course she will.

Have a good DCM and it'd be nice to meet you afterwards if our paths cross in the pub if you're about. I hope to make it in.
    Take care.

hee hee :)

(I actually parkrun volunteered at the weekend to scrape up a bit of running karma)

I have done tiny little bits of C25k-style running by now and if all goes well there will be proper running in a few weeks time :). Hoping that after this I'll have all the experience to detect all-upcoming-injuries in the earliest stages & back off immediately.

yes I saw that in your log. Baby steps but at least it's something... You'll get there very soon!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Oh yes! Forgot about that one. Thanks!
    How's your training going?

Flying, 2 PB's last week 5k & 10k and I have sent PB's over all distances over the summer so its all going well. Looking forward to DCM15.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Flying, 2 PB's last week 5k & 10k and I have sent PB's over all distances over the summer so its all going well. Looking forward to DCM15.

Excellent! Delighted to hear that. Best of luck with the rest of the training and the day itself. Have you got a target in mind?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Excellent! Delighted to hear that. Best of luck with the rest of the training and the day itself. Have you got a target in mind?

3:57 last year after I below up. At the start of training I was just thinking I would be happy with a PB. But as it has gone on I have started to think 3:50 and maybe closer to 3:40 is all the stars align on the day. The 3:57 PB is soft I think, as from about 21/22 miles in last year I lost maybe a mile a min. So even if I can cut that out it would get me down to around 3:50.

Goal A - Sub 3:40
    Goal B - Sub 3:45
    Goal C - Sub 3:50

Dub13 wrote: »
    3:57 last year after I below up. At the start of training I was just thinking I would be happy with a PB. But as it has gone on I have started to think 3:50 and maybe closer to 3:40 is all the stars align on the day. The 3:57 PB is soft I think, as from about 21/22 miles in last year I lost maybe a mile a min. So even if I can cut that out it would get me down to around 3:50.

Goal A - Sub 3:40
    Goal B - Sub 3:45
    Goal C - Sub 3:50

Super. Hope it all goes your way on the day. Best of :)

• Advertisement

Monday 5th October
    am: 40 mins easy @ 9:46
    Local loops. I love running around in circles :-)
    pm: 45 mins easy @ 9:47
    Local. Felt good today.

Tuesday 6th October
    am: 40 mins easy @ 10:01

Stomach felt a bit sick this morning. And before you ask, no it's not part of "Operation get knocked up for the sake of my running" :). It was weird. Kept it very easy.

pm: 45 mins easy @ 9:44
    A lot better this evening. Pukey feeling gone. Did this around the environs of DCU, Glasnevin etc. A nice rainy evening if a little warm.

Wednesday 7th October
    60 mins easy @ 9:32

Had a really good night's sleep despite having a very odd nightmare so felt nice and rested heading off this evening. It got pitch dark about half way through and my first time running in the dark since last winter. I really love running in the dark. I think it's the anonymity or something. A bit too fast for an easy run but I just went with the flow and it felt very smooth. My most enjoyable run since my return. In fairness I do say that a lot but this did feel like an extra special one. It's the little things...

Thursday 8th October
    60 mins easy @ 9:36

Oops too fast again but it was net downhill to get the car and felt comfortable. Need to dial back the pace a bit though... BUT I'M ENJOYING IT SO MUCH and it feels natural.

Friday 9th October
    90 mins longer run @ 9:33

Had to bring my phone for this and stop every mile or so to check for important messages so I couldn't quite relax for this run so I just did it as best I could. I was very distracted but did enjoy it in the main. The effort was a little more than easy. More steady than easy in parts. Nice to get a slightly longer run under the belt :-)

Saturday 10th October
    am: 45 mins easy/recovery @ 9:39

Was in and out of Beaumont hospital all Friday evening and night and only home at 1 in the morning and had to sleep with my phone on my pillow waiting for updates all night so didn't really get any quality sleep. On tenterhooks.
    Took it a bit easier this morning due to the aforementioned lack of sleep and slightly longer run last night and also had an ever so slightly swollen tonsil so treaded very carefully but found myself feeling quite good during the run so a bit faster than should be for recovery.

pm: 50 mins easy @ 9:40
    A bit too close to the morning run but feeling really good and fresh.

Sunday 11 October
    am: 60 mins easy @ 9:52

Went to Phoenix Park for this. Felt very tired for the first few miles and only started enjoying it properly half way through. Finished strong.
    On days like today I'm so glad I run by effort and not by the watch as when I'm not feeling 'it' I just do what my body asks of me and slow down accordingly. Started out at 10:12 pace and ended up at 9:30 pace.

pm: 35 mins easy @ 9:53

Read the plan wrong. Kept thinking this week was 45 + 60 mins on double days but it's really 45 + 40 mins and 60mins on single days for this week (changes next week). I was on my way out the door when I happened to glance at the plan. I shouldn't have done this run but was all dressed and ready for action so what's a girl to do?

Appetite has been terrible the last few days. I can't face proper meals at all. Today I've just had seeds and nuts and berries and a veggie juice and forced down half a bagel this morning. Not sure what it is. Didn't have any dinner or lunch yesterday, just some crackers and other dry stuff. Don't even feel hungry which is weird, just a bit 'off'. Hopefully it'll sort itself out over the next few days.

58.4 miles weekly total

Looking forward to adding a bit of spice next week with some faster stuff.
    2 speedier workouts on the cards and another step-up on the mileage. Bring it on. Body feeling really good. Had a few aches in my feet earlier in the week which I think were caused by my lovely new ankle boots but my feet are used to them now. Just as well as they're very pretty indeed :+)

Ole !

Monday 12 October
    am: 45 mins easy @ 10:02

Felt pretty rotten this morning. Really tired, legs sluggish, couldn't wait for it to be over bleugh...
    pm: 60 mins easy @ 9:31
    Felt fantastic this evening. Full of energy, legs zippy, wanted to run all night, fab...
    So strange how 2 runs in one day can be so different...

Tuesday 13 October
    am: 45 mins easy @ 9:45

Feeling a bit tired this morning. Did enjoy it but kept it at a very comfortable effort.
    pm: 60 mins easy @ 9:44
    Easy knowing winter's back in Santry. Near fatal collision with pack of chattering club runners running 2/3 abreast on a very narrow path on Swords Road near the club entrance. It was pitch dark and road was very busy with traffic and they weren't concentrating like they should be and I had to come to an abrupt halt and move aside quickly or there would have been an accident. Was shell-shocked for ages afterwards. Could have been very serious. The guys at the back of the pack did apologise and thanked me for stopping to let them pass which is something. Will have to re-think where to run on winter nights as it's just not safe around the area. The paths are too narrow and not conducive to large packs of runners on dark winter nights.
    Beautiful night out there. Perfect running conditions.

Wednesday 14 October
    Strides Session: 3 x 6 x 40sec + 2mins @ 3-5k

jog back rec
    Neck was killing me all day. I'm working fairly intensely on a project and even though I'm taking regular breaks, I'm hunched over a desk for hours and hours over the last few days doing very detailed work. It didn't feel any worse when running so might aswell just run then eh?
    I did jerk my neck on one of the first reps and let out a little yelp but it settled down after that.
    First set of 3 felt sluggish as I haven't moved faster than 9:30 pace in about 7 weeks. Paces all over the shop and varied from 6:09 to 7:04 but it felt good to move a bit faster for a change. 2 mins at end were at 7:30 so a bit slower than I'd hoped for but I did have to go out a narrow gate about half way through so lost momentum a bit. Fairly happy with it all the same. Ignored watch but did press lap to review stats later but main focus was on form, not pace. Running tall with fast but relaxed stride with feet popping off the ground and using the old 'running on hot coals' visualisation strategy. Felt better as session progressed.
    9 miles total @ 9:35 avg pace

Thursday 15 October
    55 mins recovery @ 10:03

Toyed with the idea of taking a rest day today but thought better of it and decided to do a recovery run instead. Neck very sore and stiff all day but not any worse when running. Enjoyable run and beautiful night. Sublime...
    A little tenderness in a few areas of the body from the session the previous day but the little run helped iron it out.

Friday 16 October
    I went out for my run tonight and could feel something in the right glute. I remembered during the day in work when sitting that something felt not quite right. When I started running it just didn't feel good. More than a soreness or an ache. Like something had pulled....yikes... I had only jogged on it for 5 mins so turned around and walked home, rolled a lot, iced and stretched and did some positional release stuff that the boss advised me on before and said a prayer to Zeus before bed.

Saturday 17 October
    am: 60 mins easy @ 9:53

Slept great and set off gingerly for my plod. Well I didn't feel a single thing. Nothing. Nada. absolutely perfect! I still treaded VERY carefully though and just picked it up a tiny bit for a mile at the end.
    Delighted with myself for not running on it the previous day as it could have been a nail in the coffin for an injury. I think my good sense saved the day :D

pm: 45 mins easy @ 9:43

All good. Happy days. Did this way too close to morning run but had to have all running done and dusted early so I could go to the fantastic Arthur Millar play in the Abbey. Highly recommended folks, it's on for another 2 weeks. Catch it if you can.
    Personal triumph achieved tonight also as I've developed this really bad claustrophobia in the last year and never in a million years thought I could sit in a confined space for over 2 hours without freaking out. I did get a seat right by the door for quick escape if necessary so I kind of cheated but it is the first big step on the way to dealing with this shight.

Sunday 18 October
    120 min w/At (2hr race effort)

I was feeling crap this morning. Dunno what was wrong with me. Just not strong. Considered just running the whole thing as a long slow run but decided to give it a shot. I just felt dead in lungs and legs. Can't put my finger on it. Just couldn't pick up the pace. Anyways, did my best and happy with myself that I didn't pull the plug as the effort certainly felt right but the speed just wasn't there today. Just one of those days. Pace today was 8:40s and 8:50s whereas I was doing it at 8:20s and 30s before the break.
    Not going to worry about it as it's only my second faster session in 7 weeks and I probably just need to get used to moving a bit more quickly again before I'm back to where I was prior to the break.
    Anyways, all I really care about this week is that I'm not injured. I was totally freaked out on Friday that 'my time' might have come but I luckily escaped and and SO stoked about that. I'd rather plod forever than be injured and not be able to run.
    120 mins @ 9:13 avg pace

59.7 miles weekly total

Usual AIS and Lunge Matrix done prior to each run and Myrtl done thrice :+)

Monday 19 October
    am: 45 mins recovery @ 9:46

Legs felt surprisingly good after my longer run yesterday. Felt perfect really. Enjoyed this except for when a fly flew into my mouth and I nearly choked. I went to the toilet in the playground and drank some manky water from the taps to try and drown the fecker. Got it down eventually but was dry retching for most of this run.
    pm: 60 mins easy @ 9:50
    Very tired. I had had a few drinks the previous night so no big surprise that I was a bit sluggish. Lightweight... My former self would be ashamed of my current drinking capabilities!
    I tried to run clockwise around my local park. I always run anti-clockwise. I couldn't hack it going the 'right' way 'round. Felt ALL wrong. Left after 3 laps and headed up towards airport instead. Creature of habit huh...

Tuesday 20 October
    am: 45 mins easy @ 9:38

Terrible night's sleep so didn't go to work. No work on Tuesdays means no pay on Tuesdays but I was too fcuking wrecked to face the world. But was I too wrecked to run? Well no... but I was very tired unsurprisingly.
    pm: 50 mins easy @ 9:59
    Today was supposed to be a single day of 60 mins but as I was off work I decided to do 2 runs but cut this one a little short as I was feeling sleepy.

Wednesday 21 October
    60 mins easy @ 9:47

Windy one to get the car but quite enjoyable all the same. Really needed a pee bad by the time I got to Griff Ave and it was almost pitch dark in places and I might have gotten away with it but I still just didn't have the balls...

Thursday 22 October
    Strides session 3 x 6 x 40 secs off jog back rec

3 mins between sets
    Nice little session. Didn't feel half as wrecked afer this as I did after same session last week.
    Splits were all over the place but I ain't gonna worry about that as the main aim of the game for this session is to focus on good running form. I was hyper-aware of my form for all the reps. But I did run at 5:49 pace for 40 seconds. GO ME!
    8.5 miles @ 9:45

Friday 23 October
    Recovery 50 mins @ 10:10

Was grand starting out but a couple of miles in I started feeling a bit faint. Not sure why. Had eaten loads earlier in the day and nothing else up with me that I know of. Plodded on very easily and the feeling passed eventually and I was grand. Once I got to the car though I noticed I'd lost my plait and gained a ponytail. Not sure how that happened!

Saturday 24 October
    am: Easy 45 mins @ 9:35
    (defo not that fast. Funny watch reading for first mile)
    Felt really sick going out and in bad form. Came home feeling great and full of the joys. Oh the power of running!
    pm: Easy 60 mins @ 9:35
    That's 11 miles for the day. Felt great today. Really strong and full of energy and pizazz!

Sunday 25 October
    2hrs 25 mins easy

Longest run since DCM 2013! I haven't gone much over 2 hours since then believe it or not. This didn't pose any problems whatsoever and I definitely had another few miles left in me. Included some some hills in the Phoenix Park. I pretty much had the whole park to myself. I really felt like I was plodding for the duration and surprised when finished that the pace wasn't well over 10 min/miles as it felt it. I loved everything about this run. My kind of running- long and slow. Did get cold towards the end so must start wearing long sleeved tops from now on. Glad I had worn the gloves.
    15 miles @ 9:45

65.6 miles weekly total (highest ever. Only ever once got to 60 before. Have never felt better!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Longest run since DCM 2015!

Ehhh, you sure about that?

davedanon wrote: »

'13! thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

davedanon wrote: »

she's just checking to see who's paying attention, you won the prize :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I noticed I'd lost my plait and gained a ponytail.

Hate when that happens!

Congrats on the mileage - awesome stuff.

Bit of a step back week unintentionally. Maybe it's no harm however...

Monday 26 October
    am: 60 mins recovery @ 9:54

Full of the joys this morning. Felt great and no ill-effects from my longer run yesterday.
    pm: 35 mins easy @ 9:48
    Felt very tired this evening. Hard day between working on a project with deadline looming and trying to follow lots of people on DCM tracker. All caught up with me this evening. Was supposed to be 45 mins but felt a bit wrecked and a little bit weak so cut it short. Never made it to town for post DCM drinks :( Hope you all had fun.

Tuesday 27 October
    Rest/Worry!

Woke up fine. When I was walking to work I felt a twinge in me foot. Oh dear :(
    Couldn't find any ice in any shops in town so bought a very small tub of icecream which I could discreetly put inside my sock under my desk. It seemed to help. Bought a flavour I don't like so I wouldn't be tempted to eat it! Could still feel it hurting a little at lunchtime so nothing for it but to buy another tub. Thought it very wasteful to buy 2 tubs and throw them away so got a lovely dark chocolate one the second time, stuck it in me sock and when it was almost melted I ate it. Yum. If anyone had been watching closely then would really have had high concerns for me!
    Anyways, foot a lot better on way home from work but decided not to run on it. Foam rolled loads with real icy ice and it was fine going to bed.

Wednesday 28 October
    am: 40 mins easy @ 9:33

Felt great
    pm: 60 mins easy @ 9:56
    Foot perfect. Ya hay!!!

Thursday 29 October
    3 x 6 x 40 secs off jog back rec

I did these reps in a different spot to usual and I couldn't see where I was going as it was so dark. I'm supposed to run these 40 sec reps at 1 mile pace, fast and relaxed. I was anything but. Totally paranoid about tripping as path was uneven, I couldn't see, and the leaves were making underfoot very slippy. Moved to a different spot for 2nd set. Wasn't much better. Need to do this session during daylight when on a day off or working from home day.
    9.4 miles @ 9:34

Friday 30 October
    Rest

Could feel a tonsils swelling and was a bit wrecked all day. Yes I could have run but my new sensible self is going to try to stop these possible illnesses or niggles before they might develop into something real so took the mature decision to rest. I'm not going to be afraid to take the odd day off from now on if I feel I need it. I was whacked for evening and vegged in front of the telly for the night. Interestingly last night and tonight my rhr was the lowest in a long time at 46/47. Weird considering I wasn't feeling great. I also slept for over 8 hours which is definitely not the norm!

Saturday 31 October
    am: 45 mins easy @ 9:47

Woke up feeling good and delighted with myself for taking the previous day off. Tonsil swelling almost gone. I did feel a bit sluggish on his run though and was happy to take it very easy.
    pm: 60 mins easy @ 9:40

Delivered a very large artwork that I've been working on for months and months into town at lunchtime. It's a piece that might help put my name out there and eventually allow me to do my thing full time.. someday.. hopefully if all the stars align. I just HAD to celebrate so a few cocktails in Cafe en Seine were called for which made for a very interesting run in the evening. Faster than usual for same effort and felt fanbloodytastic! Might start incorporating 'cocktail hour' between double-day runs from now on!

Sunday 13 miles with 60 mins at AT (2 hour race effort)
    This session always scares me a little but I know it's good for me. I did it 2 weeks ago and didn't do very well so got to wondering if there was a 10k race about that I could incorporate into the session for the AT bit to make it all a bit easier.. . Came up trumps with a 10k race in Corkagh Park. Perfect. I get some practice in a race setting and get to run in a different place with some people to help pull me along. I was also going to Kilkenny after so it was perfect in every way as I was on the road with the car pointed in the right direction.

30 mins w/u feeling very sluggish and really not in the mood for anything faster. Beautiful morning, fabulous park (will be running there more for sure in the future! will be great for sessions!!) and would have loved to do just a long run at a nice comfortable easy pace. But that wasn't on the plan!

Interesting race. Would definitely not target it for a pb of any kind. 2 x laps of the 5k course. Tough challenging course involving a lot of running on sloppy wet grass and gravel, a lot of inclines, twice climbing up a big hill with other smaller inclines throughout. It was like an obstacle course in parts trying to run through the 5k walkers, other park-walkers, dogs, dodging kids on scooters on narrow paths etc etc. I was so glad I wasn't racing it as I know I wouln't have done a good time but I'm also very happy I did it as I worked much harder for this session than doing it on my own and the paces show it:
    2 weeks ago paces for this session were:
    9:01 8:55 8:50 8:55 8:49 8:51 8:56
    Today's paces were:
    8:43 8:47 8:27 8:29 8:57 8:26 7:58 (avg pace 8:36)
    and today felt easier. I would also never chose to do my AT session on a route like this so good to challenge myself!

As I was about half a k from the finish line a dog on a lead jumped out and nipped me on the leg. Sore and punctured the skin a bit. Silly silly irresponsible dog owner. Then I missed the finish line which involved turning an acute right which wasn't sign posted so had to turn back. If racing I wouldn't have been best pleased but as a session it suited me just fine as I was fairly relaxed about it all. Was talking to a steward later and apparently they had been let down that morning by some other stewards who had promised to help out but didn't turn up and some of the signage had been vandalised. Nice race for what I was doing today but not for fast time!
    30 mins cool down @ 9:39
    12+ miles total

Weekly total: 53 miles (missed 2 days)
    October total 251 miles (highest monthly total ever! 40 hours of running over 37 runs thanks Strava for the stats!)
    Yearly total: 1,850

Really looking forward to my long run (with no funny stuff!) at the weekend! BRING IT ON!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Bellini's rock :p

nice improvement on the splits for the 2hr session, was running it a part of a race was a big help there?

well done on the monthly mileage!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice run! Hope you treated that dog bite, btw.

That's some mileage for the month! Hope you're ok after the dog nip. I'm having a lot more encounters these days, mostly harmless, but it still amazes me how careless some owners can be.

Congratulations on delivering your artwork, all sounds very exciting. Hope it leads to more work and recognition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Good woman :) Hope the arty gig turns up trumps for ya, you deserve it :)

Those race crowded sessions will be very good you you I think.
    Going forward, I think it would be good for you to do more, and maybe get a friend to pace you going a bit below your race pace for that distance.

It will act as a good session, and also for you to become more accustomed to race settings, hopefully resulting in less race nerves in future...

PS Always good to finish strongly on a session, as you did :)

PPS How is the dog :pac::pac: you know I mean blame the owner :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Yes, I think you captured the essence of running perfectly in your piece ;):D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1bgl9r-wwmtvaR3Wz30M5WTQ6aOc9iPyQyQ_9n6F5TtPzfXLW

Well, when you do you have your own exhibit, you better invite all of us. Caveat being that most round here would incorporate it as part of their long run and a load of sweaty runners would declass the whole event all together. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Congrats on the artwork and the cocktails :).

Will the Waterford half (bite-free I hope) be on the list now after that nice session?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

that's my local park. I know the 5k route you are talking about. Tough little route all right. It's a great park for a run. Can stick entirely on grass or path depending on what session you have in mind. There is a great field out the back that is ~1200 metres in diameter. Great for reps and flat as a pancake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Some great running on this log Ossolo. Fair play.

Firedance wrote: »
    Bellini's rock :p

nice improvement on the splits for the 2hr session, was running it a part of a race was a big help there?

well done on the monthly mileage!!

Cheers. Yes it was a BIG help FD and I've chosen another race to do the same for the next session. Expensive I guess forking out 20 euro for a session but the way I see it is I was spending 20 quid every few days for a pack of smokes a few years ago so when I look at it like that.... it's money well spent!
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Nice run! Hope you treated that dog bite, btw.

I did thanks but it was a good while after by the time I got to washing it and putting on some antiseptic ointment.
    martyboy48 wrote: »
    Good woman :) Hope the arty gig turns up trumps for ya, you deserve it :)

Those race crowded sessions will be very good you you I think.
    Going forward, I think it would be good for you to do more, and maybe get a friend to pace you going a bit below your race pace for that distance.

It will act as a good session, and also for you to become more accustomed to race settings, hopefully resulting in less race nerves in future...

PS Always good to finish strongly on a session, as you did :)

PPS How is the dog :pac::pac: you know I mean blame the owner :)

Ha ha the dog has caught Mad Cow's Disease since I've been informed:D

Yes great for the nerves and makes me push harder than I would on my own while not being too pressured and enjoying being in a race setting for a change!!!! Thanks MB.

Yes, I think you captured the essence of running perfectly in your piece ;):D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1bgl9r-wwmtvaR3Wz30M5WTQ6aOc9iPyQyQ_9n6F5TtPzfXLW

Well, when you do you have your own exhibit, you better invite all of us. Caveat being that most round here would incorporate it as part of their long run and a load of sweaty runners would declass the whole event all together. :)
    Ha ha. He looks a bit like you actually!
    Well done on Sunday!
    Will the Waterford half (bite-free I hope) be on the list now after that nice session?
    Yes that's the plan!
    that's my local park. I know the 5k route you are talking about. Tough little route all right. It's a great park for a run. Can stick entirely on grass or path depending on what session you have in mind. There is a great field out the back that is ~1200 metres in diameter. Great for reps and flat as a pancake.

How is it running in the evenings in the dark? How is it for nightime rapists and murderers? Don't mind them so much in the daylight:)
    Need to find a good spot at nightime for fast one mile pace short reps that's well lit and safe.

PDCAT wrote: »
    Some great running on this log Ossolo. Fair play.

Thanks a mill PDCAT. Really enjoying it and that's the main thing I guess!
    Enjoy your winter Ring Road runs! I expect I'll be running there quite a bit over the xmas hols myself!

Need to find a good spot at nightime for fast one mile pace short reps that's well lit and safe.

Don't know about fast but Clontarf promenade is reasonably well-lit and is definitely safe. Gotta watch out for the canine terrorism though :rolleyes:

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Don't know about fast but Clontarf promenade is reasonably well-lit and is definitely safe. Gotta watch out for the canine terrorism though :rolleyes:

Yeah actually not a bad idea if not windy but I guess that could be used to my advantage;) Thanks BG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Yeah actually not a bad idea if not windy but I guess that could be used to my advantage;) Thanks BG.

The n32 from clarehall to Dublin airport roundabout is reasonably flat and well lit. The footpaths are concrete though and its abusy road so It may not be ideal.

I run a good bit on the cycle track from Clontarf to Sutton , it's not all that well lit but bright enough from the road lights and its a nce even surface.

The Muppet wrote: »
    The n32 from clarehall to Dublin airport roundabout is reasonably flat and well lit. The footpaths are concrete though and its abusy road so It may not be ideal.

I'll check it out in the car over the next few days thanks The Muppet.

I'll check it out in the car over the next few days thanks The Muppet.

use the malahide side of the road if your going to use it the other side can be quite dirty and there's a couple of entrances on it..

Monday 2 November
    70 mins easy @ 9:40

Should have been a 45 & 60 min double day but life got in the way. Did this in Phoenix Park on way back to Dublin. Fab evening in the park which was quite devoid of runners. Lots of bunnies to keep me company around the S-bends. Creepy man then started cycling VERY slowly behind me and it was so quiet up there I didn't feel 100% comfortable as it was getting a bit dark so had to pick the pace up a bit. Thoroughly enjoyable and no sore spots from session in the race the previous day.

Tuesday 3 November
    am: 50 mins easy @ 9:36

Not this fast in reality. Funny reading for first mile.
    I've been passing this lovely old gent for years in the local park at this stage. He always has a big smile and a lovely comment for me so today I decided to stop and have a little chat. Glad I did. Interesting fella.

pm: 60 mins easy @ 9:40
    Took myself back to the Phoneix Park again this evening. Beautiful evening and night but it's just pitch dark in places so it's a no-go for me from now on in the evenings. If I won loadsa money I'd donate to the OPW to install really good lighting and jogging paths for runners to be able to jog safely all year round in the dark.

Wednesday 4 November
    60 mins easy @ 9:49

Horrible day being stuck in stupid traffic for over 3 hours between getting into town and coming home. I really need to figure out a way to run to and from work to avoid stupid fcuking traffic... ggggrrrrr....
    Bad form going out. Much better by the time I got home. Thank you running.
    Did get a weak spell a few miles in. This happened a few weeks ago also. It passed after about 10 mins. Weird though...

Thursday 5 November
    90 mins easy @ 9:48

Tonight should have been strides session 3 x 6 x 40 sec but I was on strong painkillers for lady 'trouble' so thought it best to skip it. I was grand once I was moving at a very comfortable effort. Started out at recovery effort, eased into easy effort and turned it up a notch towards the end. Felt great at end.

Friday 6 November
    55 mins easy @ 9:37

This was a weird one. I'm still suffering from the female affliction which dare not be spoken of and felt perfect going out. About 2 miles in I felt like fainting. I had to stop on Collin's Ave for for few mins and put my head down to get the blood back flowing. Gradually felt a bit better as I jogged on. Then I felt fabulous for a few miles and then I started feeling weird again. Cut it a bit short.

Saturday 7 November
    2 hours 50 mins long slow run

Fantastic. Loved it. Every single step. It was an absolute breeze.
    I was a bit concerned starting out as I'm still suffering from the 'affliction' so was concerned about energy levels. I also slept for 10 hours the previous night which is very out of character for me and could have slept more so felt a bit zonked. Late breakfast of bagel, banana, yogurt with seeds and a nuun in plenty of water. Had a small energy drink 45 mins before the run. Headed to Phoenix Park. Quite windy so decided to just really enjoy myself, not think about pace at all and just run to recovery effort. I didn't want to get any dizzy spells like on the previous night's run so effort levels were minimal throughout.
    It went brilliantly. Did loops. Avoided s-bends etc in Park and instead did loops down North Road and up Chesterfield Ave which was very windy but I just maintained a very easy effort and didn't stress about anything at all. I did have to pee twice early on in the run which was a bit of a pain and could have gone again later in the run but managed to hold onto it. At 2 hours I popped by car and took a slug of a drink I made up and went on my merry way again. I'm amazed with some of the splits to be honest as the effort felt a min per mile slower. Picked it up a tiny bit for last 15 mins and could have run much faster and much further by the end. A great run.
    17.6 miles @ 9:39 pace

An interesting little bit of information (or maybe not) is that the last time I ran this distance (17+ miles) at an easy effort was in build up to DCM '13 and it was over 12min/mile pace. I need to remind myself of these things when I think I haven't made improvements in the last few years!!!! And I also LOVED every step of that run according to my accounts but I remember being too ashamed to post my paces on the Novices thread as I felt I was so slow. Well I was, but I shouldn't have been ashamed!!! That's also why I didn't have a log for so long. I didn't want to put my paces up for all to see until my easy effort runs were under 11min/mile. Slow AND Silly!

Sunday 8 November
    40 mins recovery @ 9:49

Felt great today. Should haven been another 45 & 60 min double day and I would have loved to have done the runs on the plan to bring me up near a 70 mile week, however I had to pick up visitors early in the morning from airport and entertain most of day so was lucky to get out at all, so a very low key end to the running week.

Weekly total: 61 miles of happy plodding :)

Things will be spiced up nicely next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Zatopek

Nice consistency there A, keep it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

I would have copped onto Ososilly a lot quicker than I did Ososlo. Thought you were some secret service Nordic cross country skier for far too long :D:D Hope the affliction is banished. Great week all the same. I was cleaning one - just one - of my kitchen cupboards today and came across your JB mug all wrapped up. Didn't dare unwrap or shake it in case I broke it so we'll imagine it's still in one piece :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I think it's funny that you still think of yourself as slow when you're greased lightning from my perspective. ;) You seem to ooze enthusiasm and really enjoy your running, it's great to see.

Zatopek wrote: »
    Nice consistency there A, keep it up.

Thanks! P? I think! Hope we see you posting more here from now on!!!
    I think it's funny that you still think of yourself as slow when you're greased lightning from my perspective. ;) You seem to ooze enthusiasm and really enjoy your running, it's great to see.
    It's just a confidence thing, or was at least. I actually don't really think of myself as that slow anymore. Or maybe I just don't really care. I just had absolutely no confidence in myself as a runner/jogger whatever when I started posting on Boards. I saw myself as some sort of intruder who had no business being here... As I said, silly way of thinking. But that's why I chose the name that I did.

Wouldn't be much between us over shorter distances I'd imagine!!! You're going really well :)
    And yes I do really really really really enjoy my running:) Thanks for your words.
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    I would have copped onto Ososilly a lot quicker than I did Ososlo. Thought you were some secret service Nordic cross country skier for far too long :D:D Hope the affliction is banished. Great week all the same. I was cleaning one - just one - of my kitchen cupboards today and came across your JB mug all wrapped up. Didn't dare unwrap or shake it in case I broke it so we'll imagine it's still in one piece :)
    he ha if I ever change my name it's gonna be to Ososilly :D
    Thanks will defo get that mug from ya at some point. Appreciate it!

Monday 9 November
    am: 60 mins easy @ 9:41
    In the lashings of rain. Thoroughly enjoyable despite being under a bit of pressure for time with guests staying. A bit out of my routine today and shock horror, no AIS or Lunge Matrix done prior to both runs today due to my workout mat being covered with about 50,000,000 toy animals and I didn't want to upset the peace!
    pm: 40 mins easy @ 10
    Quick spin up towards airport and back. Crazy gales blowing but kept the effort really easy and it was fun battling the elements.

Tuesday 10 November
    am: 60 mins easy @ 9:38
    Windy one but enjoyable even though I was very tired. Got rid of the visitors so got my mat back :D Normal business resumes.
    pm: 50 mins too fast @ 9:10 pace
    Round trip to town to collect race number for Run in Dark 10k tomorrow. It was an exhilarating run dodging the traffic and pedestrians and I got a little carried away with myself and ran WAY too fast. Thought I might get away with it but there's no hiding on Strava and I was suitably chastised!

Wednesday 11 November
    am: 30 mins leg loosener @ 9:50
    Little bit of a wake-up for the legs in advance of the evening's endeavours.
    pm: 10k @ 2 hour race effort (AT)
    Did this session as part of Run in Dark race. Am trying to force myself to partake in as many races as possible these days to help with the old race nerves and I think it's working!
    2.5 mile warm up jog into town. Had to wait around at startline for about 30 mins in freezing cold so an benefit of the warm up was well and truly gone by the time I got going. Claustraphobia kicked in big time when I went to enter the pen. Thousands of runners were packed in like battery hens. No way could I stay there. Had to go and wait by the river until I knew we were almost set to go.
    First mile was extremely congested so used it to warm up again. Got in my stride then for the remainder of the race except for a few obstructions/disruptions along with way. Nice even effort mostly. Very controlled running and nothing felt forced. Now and again I found myself upping the effort to way beyond 2 hour race effort so kept reminding myself to hold back - it's just a session. You can race the next race you do, just not tonight Josephine. Really enjoyed it. Not a bad course at all for my purposes but wouldn't have liked to have been racing to 10k effort as WAY too many obstacles in the way in the dark. Very windy in exposed parts but used the big blokes around me to take shelter from. Lovely even breathing throughout.
    I do now have a little yearning to race properly so will do so soon. Good confidence booster. Stopped for about a minute at the end of the race to grab a water. Didn't bother getting goodie bag as it was getting late and I just wanted to get home and didn't want to disrupt the flow of the session for the cool down miles. Ran back to the car all uphill and probably too fast. Felt great after the session. Really didn't take too much out of me at all.
    I had a moment or two of panic when I got home and my trusty Garmin 305 wouldn't charge. It's been with me on 99.9% of my runs since I finished Couch to 5k and I feel like it's an extension of myself at this point. I did a bit of google searching and got a suggestion to do a soft reset by holding down power and mode button. I gently coaxed it back to life and it worked like magic! SO SO happy it'll live to fight another day, or week, or month or maybe even more, but I do think I'll need to prepare myself for when the inevitable happens. Christmas is coming up so "Santa" might treat me if I'm a good gal.
    AT miles: 9:06 8:30 8:16 8:12 8:21 8:30 8:17 (avg pace 8:30) last time I did it avg pace was 8:36 so very pleased to see more progress on these sessions!!
    14 miles daily total

Thursday 12 November
    4 miles recovery @ 10:06
    Doing a long session late at night is NOT a good idea for an insomniac. I was completely wired when I got home and when I went to bed I couldn't sleep and was tossing and turning all night. Gave up trying to sleep about 6am. **** day and was wrecked but it was nice to get out for this even though I was dead on my feet. Just felt like running around in circles so did loads of little 3 min loops in local park around the little track circling the folly with Abigale for company - windy bitch :D Nice.

Friday 13 November
    am: 60 mins easy @ 9:47
    Felt great.
    pm: 48 mins easy @ 9:38
    Felt even better. Serious endorphins running through my body on this run. Loved, loved, loved, every step of it. Freezing cold just how I like it. I wanted to just run and run and run and run for a few hours, but that probably wouldn't have gone down too well and anyways I have a session tomorrow so need to save a little something.

Saturday 14 November
    3 x 6 x 40 secs off jog back recovery. 3 min jog between sets & 3 mins @ 3-5k
    There was a palpable eeriness in the air today after the events of last night in Paris. I was up very late last night following events and had a few drinks too many so found it hard to settle. Not the best nights of sleep but my body did have a good rest but maybe not my mind.

Feeling a little sluggish on the warm up few miles and took a quick trip up to Visistor Centre for a pre session pee. I never mind peeing out of doors but obviously it's easier just use an actual toilet if there's one available.
    Didn't bother lapping the splits for the 40 sec reps. Just ran them fast with 'quick light feet' and tried to concentrate on good upright relaxed running form. In my head I was gliding down the North Road with the grace and easy of Tirunesh Dibaba, but in reality I probably looked like I was shuffling along with me arse was in the bucket as per usual. Anyways... **Oh maybe I should start doing drills again (**note to self).
    Reps went fine and ran with the wind but it was horrible turning back into it on the jog back recoveries and felt almost harder than the fast bits of the session!
    Got a little shout out on this run from Boards legend aero2k who must have recognised me from a photo I posted here. Had a really lovely chat. Absolute gent and really enjoyed chatting running, this place, and stuff... Till the next time sir! And I'll certainly take you up on your offers in the future. Both of them ;-) Oh and sorry for saying 'bye aero':o to you. Hopefully you didn't hear!
    10.2 miles total @ 9:24

Sunday 15 November
    am: 54 mins recovery @ 9:51
    pm: 38 mins @ 10:13
    swallowed a fcuking fly half way through the evening run and spent the remainder of the run having to stop to dry retch so cut the run short as I wasn't really enjoying it!

70 miles weekly total
    11hrs 10mins running
    I "accidentally" did 5 doubles this week so will pare back next week especially as I have a super long run at the weekend. Really looking forward to that!
    Biggest mileage week ever and legs feel fresher than they've ever been. No aches, twinges or niggles. Happy out with meself I am! This running lark just gets better and better!

• Advertisement

Wow that's some running fair play to you.

Re the watch sports direct have some good deals at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

your updates are getting so long - you might need to go back to daily updates :)

Got a little shout out on this run from Boards legend aero2k who must have recognised me from a photo I posted here. Had a really lovely chat. Absolute gent and really enjoyed chatting running, this place, and stuff... Till the next time sir!
    Not much of a legend, just a former marathon runner...

Lovely to meet you too, I usually hate stopping when I'm cold, but the chat was fun and I forgot about the wind.

Apart from the running and boards we have at least two other things in common - a love for the old 305 (mine is sadly a "late parrot") and an arse in the bucket running style - though I only know about yours 'cos you just mentioned it, you looked fine to me.
    ! And I'll certainly take you up on your offers in the future. Both of them ;-) Oh and sorry for saying 'bye aero':o to you. Hopefully you didn't hear!

Sheesh! All the girls will be looking for offers! If you carry on with remarks like that I'll tell everyone that you give hugs to skinny baldy auld lads in the park.:D

I'm just catching up on your log after a long period of self-absorption. Great consistency and impressive mileage. You might be interested to know I've run my two most recent marathons off approx 50 mpw - your hard work will stand you in good stead for anything you target in future.

On the hunching over the desk thing, can you try it standing up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Not much of a legend, just a former marathon runner...

Lovely to meet you too, I usually hate stopping when I'm cold, but the chat was fun and I forgot about the wind.

Apart from the running and boards we have at least two other things in common - a love for the old 305 (mine is sadly a "late parrot") and an arse in the bucket running style - though I only know about yours 'cos you just mentioned it, you looked fine to me.

Sheesh! All the girls will be looking for offers! If you carry on with remarks like that I'll tell everyone that you give hugs to skinny baldy auld lads in the park.:D

I'm just catching up on your log after a long period of self-absorption. Great consistency and impressive mileage. You might be interested to know I've run my two most recent marathons off approx 50 mpw - your hard work will stand you in good stead for anything you target in future.

Aero......."former" ??

Aero......."former" ??

Yep, after 32 years it's time for a change of focus.:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Aero......."former" ??

Don't mind him. He's told me it's his last marathon after every marathon!

• Advertisement

Don't mind him. He's told me it's his last marathon after every marathon!

Just like a stopped clock, if you wait long enough I'll be right.

Besides, you're telling porkies, you weren't around in '83!

Sorry for the hijack Ososlo, I'm off now to squat on RQ's log.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Wow that's some running fair play to you.

Re the watch sports direct have some good deals at the moment.

My 305 is working perfectly now again but will defo keep an eye on Sports Direct for deals. Thanks for that!
    your updates are getting so long - you might need to go back to daily updates :)

Ha ha I do go on a bit, don't I! There's always the option not to read ;)

Thanks. You did only see me 'head on' so not a good view of the arse in the bucket in action! Good to see my arse is in good company so:D
    Sheesh! All the girls will be looking for offers! If you carry on with remarks like that I'll tell everyone that you give hugs to skinny baldy auld lads in the park.:D.

Careful now or I'll hold you to that 10 min/mile running date;) and I'll make it a very very long one!

Oh I've tried it every way you can imagine:D Standing up, sitting down, backwards, forwards, shake it all about, but it just doesn't flow properly and I don't have enough control doing it any other way!

Thanks. You did only see me 'head on' so not a good view of the arse in the bucket in action! Good to see my arse is in good company so:D

So you're telling me I need a good look at you from behind - jaysus I'm enough of a pervert already, don't be encouraging me.

I'm afraid you're arse is going to be lonely if it's relying on mine for company - Mrs aero has announced, more than once, that due to excessive training I no longer have an arse:D.

Oh I've tried it every way you can imagine:D Standing up, sitting down, backwards, forwards, shake it all about, but it just doesn't flow properly and I don't have enough control doing it any other way!

Tell me more, I've a very limited imagination...God loves a trier!

So you're telling me I need a good look at you from behind - jaysus I'm enough of a pervert already, don't be encouraging me.
    And a very honest pervert too apparently!
    I'm afraid you're arse is going to be lonely if it's relying on mine for company - Mrs aero has announced, more than once, that due to excessive training I no longer have an arse:D.
    Best get working on that bootie so! Gotta keep the Mrs happy:D
    Tell me more, I've a very limited imagination...God loves a trier!
    On yer bike son!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement