Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Be still my beating heart

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭aero2k

Ososlo wrote: »
    Best get working on that bootie so!

Maybe I'll use the money I'm going to save on running shoes to buy some implants - or a pair of those padded yokes you can wear.
    Gotta keep the Mrs happy:D

She's a woman - I can make her happy, but keeping her that way is far beyond me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Monday 16 November
    am: 45 mins easy @ 9:51
    pm: 60 mins easy @ 9:52

Forgot to write anything about these runs after the event so can't remember anything about them except Strava promises they happened!

Tuesday 17 November
    Rest

Wind, long day at work, visitors to entertain when I got home, alcohol consumption, chocolate consumption, and back to back episodes of Downton Abbey. Excuses excuses and more excuses for sitting on my bum and acting like a lazy waster. Maybe sometimes you just gotta go with the flow though.

Wednesday 18 November
    8 miles easy @ 9:34

Look at what a day off does to Ososlo's easy pace! Woo hoo! My brother who's a runner says the secret lies in the rest days. Fecker rests a lot more than he runs but can still blast out a 1:23 half off a few very haphazard weeks of training.
    Great run this. Single days should only be 60ish mins but I listened very closely to my body and it was telling me very loudly that it wanted to run a bit further than the plan said, so I just did what I was told!
    Reached 2,000 miles for the year tonight according to my watch. I have done some watchless runs and races however so it's a bit higher than that in reality (20-30 miles). No fanfare or fireworks:), just me on me tod plodding about the streets of Dublin 9 in the cold and the wind and the wintery drissle. Bliss...

Thursday 19 November
    70 mins w/6x45 sec pickups @ 5k

The long strides session I normally do was on the cards but we rejigged a little as I only just did it at weekend and I want to save up loads of energy for the weekend's very long run so compromise was reached. Enjoyable. Passed Murph_D on the last mile looking very strong doing a MP session. Catch you the next time D.

Friday 20 November
    6 miles easy @ 9:39

Had a little wild garlic with my morning coffee! As always, it was a pleasure sir! Always fun to chat about all things running with you!
    Bloody freezin tonight! It was 'colder than a gut-shot bitch wolf dog with nine sucking pups dragging a No. 4 trap up a hill in the dead of a winter in a snowstorm with a mouthful of porcupine quills.' Tom Waits anyone?

Saturday 21 November
    am: 60 mins easy @ 9:29

Not sure why that was so fast for easy effort. It was honestly done with minimal effort and I really relaxed into the wind and didn't force anything. Felt bloody great. Is it possible? Could I really be getting fitter? I did have 9 hours of sleep last night so that possibly had something to do with it. Lovely morning for it. Park looking good and grass dried out a good bit for the XC tomorrow except for one very deep river that shouldn't be there from the recent stormy weather!
    pm: 45 mins easy @ 9:12
    Yeah seems WAY too fast for easy for me but as above, I just ran by feel, and it is what it is. First mile is a little skewed though due to poor Garmin satellite but definitely a lot faster than usual. The key could all lie in the sleep....

Sunday 22 November
    20 miles long slow run @ 9:38

Went really well despite a night of next to no sleep. Delighted with the splits today. Ran by feel and kept the effort very easy and relaxed. Did 4 loops of running up Chesterfield and down the North Road so did have a stiff enough breeze for that long stretch up the Avenue 4 times, but just relaxed into it and didn't let it bother me. Stunning day in the park and lovely running conditions but was glad to have long sleeved top on.
    Stopped twice briefly, once to pee after the first mile and once to have a quick drink half way through so no more than half a minute each time. Could easily have run another 6.2 miles at that pace at the end which would give me a big marathon pb. I feel very strong these days. Not necessarily very fast, but very strong. Legs felt great during and after the run. Body feels great in general!

Oh and my Garmin 305. I was worried it wouldn't last the distance today so I bought a Casio stopwatch in Argos to have as a backup today and wore it on the other wrist. It'll be handy for races too.
    It gave me a warning 2 hours into the run that the battery was low. Well lo and behold there wasn't a peep out of it again after that! Amazed by it. Really am. It's like it's been given a whole new lease of life with the recent soft reset.

63.7 miles weekly total

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Sunday 22 October
    20 miles long slow run @ 9:38

have run another 6.2 miles at that pace at the end which would give me a big marathon pb.

it would, and?? :D*

*stir stir

Firedance wrote: »
    it would, and?? :D*

*stir stir

ha ha and nothing! No racing marathons until DCM 2016!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Mod note: Any more reference to 'the watch' or 'there's life in the old dog' in any part of Athletics/Running, from anyone, then people will be taking a little break from A/R.

Well done on your 20 miler. Are you training for a marathon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Well done on your 20 miler. Are you training for a marathon?

Some base training if not, alright :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Wednesday 18 November
    8 miles easy @ 9:34

Look at what a day off does to Ososlo's easy pace! Woo hoo! My brother who's a runner says the secret lies in the rest days. Fecker rests a lot more than he runs but can still blast out a 1:23 half off a few very haphazard weeks of training.
    Great run this. Single days should only be 60ish mins but I listened very closely to my body and it was telling me very loudly that it wanted to run a bit further than the plan said, so I just did what I was told!
    Reached 2,000 miles for the year tonight according to my watch. I have done some watchless runs and races however so it's a bit higher than that in reality (20-30 miles). No fanfare or fireworks:), just me on me tod plodding about the streets of Dublin 9 in the cold and the wind and the wintery drissle. Bliss...

Thursday 19 October
    70 mins w/6x45 sec pickups @ 5k

The long strides session I normally do was on the cards but we rejigged a little as I only just did it at weekend and I want to save up loads of energy for the weekend's very long run so compromise was reached. Enjoyable. Passed Murph_D on the last mile looking very strong doing a MP session. Catch you the next time D.

So, where did you park the Delorean?

yaboya1 wrote: »
    So, where did you park the Delorean?

Oops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

Ha, made yis look:D

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Ha, made yis look:D

Late Entry for post of the year???

pistol_75 wrote: »
    <snip>

Ah no P. Closed account:(:mad::mad::mad:
    Can't believe we've lost another great poster over something so ridiculous.
    You'll be missed. A lot:( Thanks for your support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

<snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

55763182.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

C'mon Dom....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Gavlor wrote: »
    C'mon Dom....

Crossed my legs when I opened that

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    55763182.jpg

If we can find where she parked the Delorean, we can go back to yesterday and find out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭aero2k

Bloody freezin tonight! It was 'colder than a gut-shot bitch wolf dog with nine sucking pups dragging a No. 4 trap up a hill in the dead of a winter in a snowstorm with a mouthful of porcupine quills.' Tom Waits anyone?

I was going to post on the thread about being bored with boards, and how I was going to give it up, and then you restore my faith in the younger generation by mentioning this guy:).

• Advertisement

aero2k wrote: »
    I was going to post on the thread about being bored with boards, and how I was going to give it up, and then you restore my faith in the younger generation by mentioning this guy:).

Don't you dare go anywhere.

What's not to love https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AayN7lwNyRM

Saw him in Phoenix Park in 2008.

ps love Kentucky Avenue. Sad and beautiful.

Monday 23 November
    am: 60 mins recovery @ 9:59

Didn't sleep great despite being very tired from the 20 miler the previous day, so was a bit zonked all day. Kept it very slow and very eeeezzzzzzzeeeeee.
    pm: 40 mins easy @ 9:51
    As above.

Tuesday 24 November
    am: 45 mins easy @ 9:45

Still a bit tired. Must be still in recovery mode from the 20. Went with the flow and picked it up a tad towards the end of the run. Legs feel good.
    pm: 60 mins easy @ 9:43
    Couldn't wait to get out again today. Lazy hazy day just pottering about not doing much of anything except listening to good music and catching up with bit 'n bobs.

Wednesday 25 November
    3 x 6 x 40 sec @ 1 mile effort. 3 min rec between sets

Awful night in bed. About 5am when I got to sleep and woke at 9 and couldn't get back so that was that. Thought I'd just head to the Phoenix Park for a change of scenery and if not feeling it I'd just run easy and scrap the session. Felt crap on the warm up so decided to try a few of the strides and if they felt terrible I'd switch back to an easy run. I actually felt better running faster than I did plodding along on my warm up, and felt progressively better and better as the run went on. Delighted with the session. Didn't lap the reps on my chronometer, but Strava gives me a good idea of how hard I worked - very hard, and to the right effort. Felt great on the warm down and would have done a few more miles but I had to look after a 4 year old for a few hours. She wanted to do running races in the Park so I'd say I definitely ran another mile of a cooldown. She's bloody fast. I was very tempted to strap the horologe on her wrist to see how fast she was running (this is why I should never be allowed to have children), but I'd say it was easily a sub 10min/mile with very little recovery between reps and lots of laughing involved! I'll be telling her ma to send her up to Tallaght AC as soon as they'll take her!!!
    9.4 miles @ 9:33

Thursday 26 November
    6 miles work-mute home @ 9:20

This was great. Logistics of how to do it were difficult to figure out with gear and leaving stuff in work etc. Only thing I got wrong was forgetting to bring my gloves in with me, and forgetting to take my lipstick off before the run. I think it looks really dumb to wear lipstick when running. Anyways it was dark so probably got away with it. I love running through city streets but find I do run a bit too fast with the adrenaline.
    Once out of town, most of the rest of the run home is uphill and had a little race going on for part of it with a bloke I passed on Dorset Street which continued on until Whitehall. I wasn't giving in though. I won :D

Friday 27 November
    5.2 miles @ 9:49

Easy single after work. Was completey shattered from yet another night of sleeplessness. Work was a real chore to get through. Not that I was busy, but trying to stay awake was a challenge in itself and my colleagues must've thought I was drunk or something as I kept banging into things with sleepiness.
    Decided I'd just go out for very easy 3 miles max after work. As ever, I felt a lot better when I was running than not running, so did a little bit more than initially intended, but not as much as was on the plan.

Saturday 28 November
    2 hours w/5x45 sec strides

Great sleep but was feeling very sluggish and happy to go slowly, so surprised the pace isn't slower than it says on the chroniker. Went to Phoenix Park but did a little detour outside the park down by the Museum and Croppy Acre and a little bit down the Quays.
    My sister used to have an apartment down that direction and I remember our weekend entertainment used to consist of watching the ladies of the night all tarted up and waiting for some business. I saw plenty of stuff that an innocent gal fresh up from the country shouldn't have been subjected to! Still scarred to this day!

The wind was a bit of a nuisance in places on this run, but tried not to let it bother me. Really enjoyed the strides and felt very strong doing them. I find on all my longer runs that I get a real burst of energy towards the end and always run a few quicker miles to finish off without really intending to.
    13 miles @ 9:33

Sunday 29 November
    am: 60 mins easy @ 9:45

Very windy but not as bad as I thought it would be. They were making such a big deal out of how bad it would be that I was pleasantly surprised to be able to run at all. Most enjoyable. Started very easy and upped the pace a little towards the end.
    pm: 40 mins easy @ 9:47
    Was just heading out the door when Storm Clodagh made her presence felt. These crazy gusts of wind came out of nowhere straight into my face and nearly swept me off my feet. I had what I can only imagine an asthma attack is like. Couldn't catch my breath. Had to stop to get my breath back properly and nearly chocked. I actually turned for home as I felt so awful but conditions improved a little on my way back, so did an about-turn and headed back out on my plod. Glad I did now as I really enjoyed it in the end.
    Another happy ending :)

65.4 miles weekly total

November recap:
    Ran for 29 out of 30 days. I'm encouraged to take one day off every 3 weeks so might take another one soon but not next week I think. Don't actually want one or feel I need one particularly, and December will bring lots of unwelcome unavoidable disruptions so think I'll keep going as I am until I'm forced to take one or two due to circumstances beyond my control - i.e. getting rat arsed.
    44 runs done in total
    1 practice race as session
    283 miles monthly total (including tomorrow's 2 runs which will happen unless Zeus strikes me down in my sleep)
    All the usual AIS, Lunge Matrix and Myrtl routines done each day without fail

December will definitely see me race a 5 or 10k balls out, and I'm committed to doing a 5k on Stephen's Day with my brother (but will be a hungover hilly race so no big expectations, but will give it my all regardless). Won't be tapering for any races however as focus is on the mileage for foreseeable future. Delighted with my training. It's an absolute joy to be able to do it :)

ha ha oops I misread your post and thought your PM run today was at 9:47PM :)

that's a super week of mileage there A. good on you.

ha ha oops I misread your post and thought your PM run today was at 9:47PM :)

that's a super week of mileage there A. good on you.

ha ha that'd be a bit premature alright. Hope it's 'cause you're drunk and celebrating that sterling performance today!!

ha ha that'd be a bit premature alright. Hope it's 'cause you're drunk and celebrating that sterling performance today!!

tired :D so tired I'm only able for one glass of wine :rolleyes:

tired :D so tired I'm only able for one glass of wine :rolleyes:

ah that's not right at all! You might get a second wind! In saying that, you did have a tough few days so understandable really!
    Make up for it tomorrow :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Just been catching up on your log. That's some serious milage, well done!
    You have a great love of running. As long as you have that you're winning.

I'm not a stalker, honest, but I think I have identified you on Strava. Ok if I follow?

snailsong wrote: »
    Just been catching up on your log. That's some serious milage, well done!
    You have a great love of running. As long as you have that you're winning.

I'm not a stalker, honest, but I think I have identified you on Strava. Ok if I follow?

Of course!!! I don't have a bog what your real name is but I guess I'll figure it out very soon!
    I find it difficult figuring out who most Boardsies are on Strava! It's fun trying to guess though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Wow! Some running going on here in the last while A. Magnificent stuff.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

What's the logic behind the 4 second strides? Seems like an odd one. Even 100m sprinters wouldn't stride for such a short length of time, unless doing starts out of blocks, which aren't strides.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    What's the logic behind the 4 second strides? Seems like an odd one. Even 100m sprinters wouldn't stride for such a short length of time, unless doing starts out of blocks, which aren't strides.

Typo. Should read 45

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Typo. Should read 45

Ha ha, I was wondering about that. Was thinking there was some new hip way to train and nobody was telling me or google. I was feeling very left out and lonely there for a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

December will definitely see me race a 5 or 10k balls out, and I'm committed to doing a 5k on Stephen's Day with my brother (but will be a hungover hilly race so no big expectations, but will give it my all regardless). Won't be tapering for any races however as focus is on the mileage for foreseeable future. Delighted with my training. It's an absolute joy to be able to do it :)

Post Waterford plan? :confused:

Post Waterford plan? :confused:

Hey
    No, Waterford ain't happening. Timing just doesn't suit me and couldn't find another suitable half this side of Xmas so I'm gonna have to wait until next year to have a lash at the sub 1:50.

Now is as good a time as any to state my plans for the early part of next year.
    January - Staplestown Marathon as a training run/race practice
    April - Connemara 39.3 mile race
    Depending on how the above goes, I might look at something longer again.

SO excited:D
    I've always wanted to 'go long' and thought I'd wait for another few years but came to the conclusion lately that now is the time to do it. I'm fitter and healthier than I've ever been and in a position to be able to give 100% commitment to my training so why the hell not.
    DCM 2016 definitely on the cards too.
    I'll be going into the New Year with a base weekly mileage of 70 miles and the long run will be pretty much up to marathon distance by then. I'll build from there...

the very best of luck with your 2016 goals :) you don't need luck of course, you put in an extraordinary amount of work and that will see you succeed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

the very best of luck with your 2016 goals :) you don't need luck of course, you put in an extraordinary amount of work and that will see you succeed

+1. Very excited to see how going (extra!) long works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Exciting plans!
    Would imagine you might even do the sub 1:50 as a training run soon ..

Hey
    No, Waterford ain't happening. Timing just doesn't suit me and couldn't find another suitable half this side of Xmas so I'm gonna have to wait until next year to have a lash at the sub 1:50.

I've always wanted to 'go long' and thought I'd wait for another few years but came to the conclusion lately that now is the time to do it. I'm fitter and healthier than I've ever been and in a position to be able to give 100% commitment to my training so why the hell not.
    I'll be going into the New Year with a base weekly mileage of 70 miles and the long run will be pretty much up to marathon distance by then. I'll build from there...

This is a bit strange to say the least.
    You've consistently said you wouldn't run another marathon until you got faster at the shorter stuff?
    Did I miss something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

You've consistently said you wouldn't run another marathon until you got faster at the shorter stuff?
    Did I miss something?

+1 to that, the above was my understanding of the way your log was progressing. Why go in a totally different direction completely now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Hey

Would you not look at racing the half early next year and then a marathon in the spring. You're clearly well capable of going sub 1:50 and sub 4 at the very least, judging by your training. There's people running those times off not even half your mileage, so you obviously have it in you, if you commit to a race. No point in racing an arbitrary ultra distance before actually nailing the half and full IMO.

Did I miss something?

No. I guess I just didn't ever make it very clear.
    tang1 wrote: »
    +1 to that, the above was my understanding of the way your log was progressing. Why go in a totally different direction completely now?

Simple answer: Because I want to, and people are allowed change direction in running as in life surely? I've changed a bit and I want slightly different things from life right now. When I went AWOL from this place a few months back due to real life stuff, I had some mini epiphanies. I see things a bit differently now. I have a more relaxed attitude towards my running and the part it plays in my life and basically just want to do what I've always wanted to do, and what makes me happiest - run long.

I'll go back to speed specific stuff, but I just feel that now is the time to take a bit of a different direction for a while.
    My current plan will have an element of speedwork in the form of short intervals and tempo work so I won't be regressing on the speed front and will do the odd shorter race.
    Bottom line is that life really is too short and too precious not to try and do that which makes one happiest:D And no I'm not drunk:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Hey

Pity to see another target race go by the wayside.

Looking at the training the sheer volume of low intensity running I think you certainly would have ran a decent PB and even think the race would have provided a catalyst for huge aerobic improvements going forward.

Best of luck with your running going forward either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

No. I guess I just didn't ever make it very clear.

Simple answer: Because I want to, and people are allowed change direction in running as in life surely? I've changed a bit and I want slightly different things from life right now. When I went AWOL from this place a few months back due to real life stuff, I had some mini epiphanies. I see things a bit differently now. I have a more relaxed attitude towards my running and the part it plays in my life and basically just want to do what I've always wanted to do, and what makes me happiest - run long.

I'll go back to speed specific stuff, but I just feel that now is the time to take a bit of a different direction for a while.
    My current plan will have an element of speedwork in the form of short intervals and tempo work so I won't be regressing on the speed front and will do the odd shorter race.
    Bottom line is that life really is too short and too precious not to try and do that which makes one happiest:D And no I'm not drunk:D:D

I won't argue with that, if it's what you want to do very best of luck with it. Only you can decide what you want to do.

this x 1,000, and I've always got the feeling from your log, and strava that running long is where your heart lies.

Also, its a woman's prerogative to change her mind ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Also, its a woman's prerogative to change her mind ;)

5/6 times a day.

*Not aimed @ Ososlo more at my wife who is not on boards so I can say it here in relative safety.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Would you not look at racing the half early next year and then a marathon in the spring. You're clearly well capable of going sub 1:50 and sub 4 at the very least, judging by your training. There's people running those times off not even half your mileage, so you obviously have it in you, if you commit to a race. No point in racing an arbitrary ultra distance before actually nailing the half and full IMO.

Yeah racing a half is on the cards before my target race, but not a full. That'll have to wait until DCM.

Ha ha yeah I know there are people running quarter of what I run who are running way way faster than me. :D Are they having as much fun as me though? Hope so!

You might say 'no point' but that's not how I see it. And what is 'nailing the half and full' anyway? Rhetorical question! I might never 'nail' it down to the time I'd love to do it. So what am I waiting for? Another corny line coming 'I could be dead this time next year.':)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Hey

East of Ireland marathons have a half on in Howth this weekend if you are looking for something close to home before Christmas. Same crew that organise Staplestown. Best of luck there btw, I did it last year in the run up to Donadea - nice friendly event although somewhat frosty/slippery for a while at the start last year.

Javelin, that's where it's at.

Monday 31 November
    am: 60 mins easy @ 9:51

pm: 45 mins easy @ 9:41
    I got a little stitch in the early parts of the run. I doubt it had anything to do with the Domino's pizza, the very large glass of wine, and half a box of chocolates I had an hour before this run:D.
    On the stitch thing, I keep meaning to say that I think I have it under control. They still happen if I do something silly like eating too close to a run as above, but when they do happen, I can usually manage to control them with very forced belly breathing. I read a post on an old thread by Vinny Mulvey I think it was, a few months back which made something click in my brain about how to deal with it when it happens. I did get one during the Run in the Dark that didn't go away for about a mile but in general, I'm dealing with them better when they happen now.

Tuesday 1 December
    Wow! December already!!!
    60 mins easy @ 9:52
    Done after work and after a typical Monday sleepless night. Wasn't my bestest run ever, as I didn't feel wonderful, but it was still a little bit nice :)

Wednesday 2 December
    3 x 6 x 40 sec @ 1 mile efffort & 4 mins hard

An eventful run and post run night :(
    Left work with bag on back for car which was parked on Griffith Avenue. This was my second run-mute ever so I very excited all day during work (it doesn't take much). It took almost 4 miles to get to the car, so I was very very well warmed up by the time I got to drop my bag and start the session. The run from city centre to Griffith Aveunue is mainly uphill too so I was a bit wrecked by the time I got to start the workout.
    First set of 3 reps went ok but I knew they weren't as fast as last time I did this session. This is mainly because I couldn't really see the footpath very well so had to watch my step. On my 3 minute recovery from the first set, I could see these 3 fellas approaching me on bikes. I knew I was in for it but what do you do? I had to turn around just before they approached me to start the next set of reps or the session would have been messed up, so I turned around to do the next stride. I expected a load of verbal abuse as they passed, something original along the lines of 'nice *** of **** love' or similar as they passed me, but instead I was treated to a big hard smack on the arse instead. No words, just laughter and along they went on their merry way. Obviously it's not nice being the recipient of such a smack but I do admire the young fella's precision and timing as it was executed to perfection. Benny Hill would've been impressed.
    Anyways, that made me a bit mad and a bit sad (dunno, just felt a bit violated by a stranger touching me there) and I decided to move area in case they came along again but I actually did much better on the last set of reps as an unexpected positive came as a result of the slap on arse. I found a new area which is perfectly flat and well lit area to do my strides session from now on, so thanks little perverts.
    I did a nice few miles cool down and happy enough with the session in the end.
    When I got back to the car I checked my phone to see that a real life episode of Love/Hate was being carried on at my sister's doorstep. Oh the drama.. what a night. One I'd rather forget but that won't happen any time soon.
    10 miles @ 9:28

Friday 3 December
    6 miles easy @ 9:05

Run home from work in the crazy wind. Behind me most of the way but it was very unpredictable so had to take it very handy. Watch throwing out some funny splits. No way was it as fast as that but I did have the wind pushing me for a lot of it.

So that's 3 work/run mutes done this week but all of them were going home. I will start running into work in the New Year also (once i figure out logistics) as it'll be an easy way of getting 12 miles done a day, on the days that I currently only do short single runs.

Saturday 4 December
    am: 60 mins easy @ 9:28

Against the wind all the way, so even though it was mainly downhill I was brought to a standstill in parts. Watch throwing out some funny splits again. I don't think it likes the wind!
    Wrote my Santa List this afternoon. Included on said list was lots of arse-covering long sleeved lose running tops :)

pm: 40 mins easy @ 9:37
    Uphill all the way with the wind pushing me most of the time. Some free fartlek bits thrown in courtey of the wind surges. My les had to move very quickly at times!!!

Sunday 5 December
    23 mile long slow run @ 9:45

Was looking forward to this all week. A bit concerned the watch wouldn't last the duration so strapped the stopwatch onto the other wrist for backup.
    Felt a little sluggish starting out but that's usually the way for me with these long runs. The enjoyment was progressive and by half way in I was really loving it, appreciating the stunning scenery in the park and watching the amazing greyhounds with their owners, as there had been some kind of greyhound convention on earlier. Absolutely beautiful creatures.
    Stopped at about 2 hours 15 to have a quick drink. Think I passed yaboya on the North Road and met aero2k after 20 miles on North Road also and stopped for a lovely chat :) Hope you enjoyed the rest of your run!
    Then the watch stopped working at 21 miles. That's that I guess for the longer runs so I'll be in the market for a watch with a long lasting battery. Will have to have it in 2 weeks for the next long run of over 4 hours. Started up the Casio stopwatch and just ran for another 20 minutes to cover another 2+ miles.

I was so so cold when I finished this and got back to the car. I had the heat on full blast and fan up to 90 and a heavy coat on but I just couldn't warm up. The coldness was deep in my bones. I had to soak in a hot bath for about an hour when I got home to put the life blood back into me. Very happy with the run and how I felt throughout. It all felt very comfortable and relaxed and never forced and breathing was perfect. Exactly how a long slow run should feel. While I was very tired by the end I could have done another few miles a bit pacier. The only negative I have is that the back of my neck got a bit sore towards the end.

71.5 miles weekly total
    11hrs 27 mins running

was keeping an eye out for you in the park this morning as I figured you were doing your big one there, well done on that week but especially the 23 miles and a 71.5 mile week :eek:

• Advertisement

Monday 31 November
    am: 60 mins easy @ 9:51

pm: 45 mins easy @ 9:41
    I got a little stitch in the early parts of the run. I doubt it had anything to do with the Domino's pizza, the very large glass of wine, and half a box of chocolates I had an hour before this run:D.
    On the stitch thing, I keep meaning to say that I think I have it under control. They still happen if I do something silly like eating too close to a run as above, but when they do happen, I can usually manage to control them with very forced belly breathing. I read a post on an old thread by Vinny Mulvey I think it was, a few months back which made something click in my brain about how to deal with it when it happens. I did get one during the Run in the Dark that didn't go away for about a mile but in general, I'm dealing with them better when they happen now.

Tuesday 1 December
    Wow! December already!!!
    60 mins easy @ 9:52
    Done after work and after a typical Monday sleepless night. Wasn't my bestest run ever, as I didn't feel wonderful, but it was still a little bit nice :)

Wednesday 2 December
    3 x 6 x 40 sec @ 1 mile efffort & 4 mins hard

An eventful run and post run night :(
    Left work with bag on back for car which was parked on Griffith Avenue. This was my second run-mute ever so I very excited all day during work (it doesn't take much). It took almost 4 miles to get to the car, so I was very very well warmed up by the time I got to drop my bag and start the session. The run from city centre to Griffith Aveunue is mainly uphill too so I was a bit wrecked by the time I got to start the workout.
    First set of 3 reps went ok but I knew they weren't as fast as last time I did this session. This is mainly because I couldn't really see the footpath very well so had to watch my step. On my 3 minute recovery from the first set, I could see these 3 fellas approaching me on bikes. I knew I was in for it but what do you do? I had to turn around just before they approached me to start the next set of reps or the session would have been messed up, so I turned around to do the next stride. I expected a load of verbal abuse as they passed, something original along the lines of 'nice *** of **** love' or similar as they passed me, but instead I was treated to a big hard smack on the arse instead. No words, just laughter and along they went on their merry way. Obviously it's not nice being the recipient of such a smack but I do admire the young fella's precision and timing as it was executed to perfection. Benny Hill would've been impressed.
    Anyways, that made me a bit mad and a bit sad (dunno, just felt a bit violated by a stranger touching me there) and I decided to move area in case they came along again but I actually did much better on the last set of reps as an unexpected positive came as a result of the slap on arse. I found a new area which is perfectly flat and well lit area to do my strides session from now on, so thanks little perverts.
    I did a nice few miles cool down and happy enough with the session in the end.
    When I got back to the car I checked my phone to see that a real life episode of Love/Hate was being carried on at my sister's doorstep. Oh the drama.. what a night. One I'd rather forget but that won't happen any time soon.
    10 miles @ 9:28

Friday 3 December
    6 miles easy @ 9:05

Run home from work in the crazy wind. Behind me most of the way but it was very unpredictable so had to take it very handy. Watch throwing out some funny splits. No way was it as fast as that but I did have the wind pushing me for a lot of it.

So that's 3 work/run mutes done this week but all of them were going home. I will start running into work in the New Year also (once i figure out logistics) as it'll be an easy way of getting 12 miles done a day, on the days that I currently only do short single runs.

Saturday 4 December
    am: 60 mins easy @ 9:28

Against the wind all the way, so even though it was mainly downhill I was brought to a standstill in parts. Watch throwing out some funny splits again. I don't think it likes the wind!
    Wrote my Santa List this afternoon. Included on said list was lots of arse-covering long sleeved lose running tops :)

pm: 40 mins easy @ 9:37
    Uphill all the way with the wind pushing me most of the time. Some free fartlek bits thrown in courtey of the wind surges. My les had to move very quickly at times!!!

Sunday 5 December
    23 mile long slow run @ 9:45

Was looking forward to this all week. A bit concerned the watch wouldn't last the duration so strapped the stopwatch onto the other wrist for backup.
    Felt a little sluggish starting out but that's usually the way for me with these long runs. The enjoyment was progressive and by half way in I was really loving it, appreciating the stunning scenery in the park and watching the amazing greyhounds with their owners, as there had been some kind of greyhound convention on earlier. Absolutely beautiful creatures.
    Stopped at about 2 hours 15 to have a quick drink. Think I passed yaboya on the North Road and met aero2k after 20 miles on North Road also and stopped for a lovely chat :) Hope you enjoyed the rest of your run!
    Then the watch stopped working at 21 miles. That's that I guess for the longer runs so I'll be in the market for a watch with a long lasting battery. Will have to have it in 2 weeks for the next long run of over 4 hours. Started up the Casio stopwatch and just ran for another 20 minutes to cover another 2+ miles.

I was so so cold when I finished this and got back to the car. I had the heat on full blast and fan up to 90 and a heavy coat on but I just couldn't warm up. The coldness was deep in my bones. I had to soak in a hot bath for about an hour when I got home to put the life blood back into me. Very happy with the run and how I felt throughout. It all felt very comfortable and relaxed and never forced and breathing was perfect. Exactly how a long slow run should feel. While I was very tired by the end I could have done another few miles a bit pacier. The only negative I have is that the back of my neck got a bit sore towards the end.

71.5 miles weekly total
    11hrs 27 mins running

Is that your highest weekly total?
    Tiger kidnapping?
    Left or right cheek?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement