Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Be still my beating heart

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Is that your highest weekly total?
    Tiger kidnapping?
    Left or right cheek?

Yes
    No not that one
    Left:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

did that happen on Griffith Ave, A? so annoyed on your behalf!!!!! little bastids!!

good luck on your new cycle of training, are you going to be doing more longer runs as part of the prep?

Firedance wrote: »
    was keeping an eye out for you in the park this morning as I figured you were doing your big one there, well done on that week but especially the 23 miles and a 71.5 mile week :eek:

I'm never an early bird on the weekend FD. Need to usually catch up with sleep!
    Thanks a mill. Fair play to you doing that longer run after your race yesterday! No stopping you at all now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭SeanPuddin_

Cant believe I'm still reading about stitches! Should have told you these a long time ago.

For stitches: spit under a small stone, just make sure it's not a pebble.

For park bandits: eye of newt and toe of frog. (Seriously though you should report that nonsense.)

Great to see the mega miles, fair play. Breathe in and breathe out on the big stuff.

annapr wrote: »
    did that happen on Griffith Ave, A? so annoyed on your behalf!!!!! little bastids!!

yeah it's that continuation bit of Griffith Ave which I think they call G.Ave Extension.
    annapr wrote: »
    good luck on your new cycle of training, are you going to be doing more longer runs as part of the prep?

Thanks. Yes longer longer and longer runs:D
    Cant believe I'm still reading about stitches! Should have told you these a long time ago.

For stitches: spit under a small stone, just make sure it's not a pebble.

ha ha love it! So that's the answer. After all the years and you've been hiding that precious information from all of us:D
    For park bandits: eye of newt and toe of frog. (Seriously though you should report that nonsense.)

Great to see the mega miles, fair play. Breathe in and breathe out on the big stuff.

It was on a public road in the dark and I had no phone. Completely vulnerable. Probably should have reported it later but with the way the evening went on it didn't see so important after that.
    And thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Ososlo wrote: »
    Left work with bag on back for car which was parked on Griffith Avenue. This was my second run-mute ever so I very excited all day during work (it doesn't take much).

I expected a load of verbal abuse as they passed, something original along the lines of 'nice *** of **** love' or similar as they passed me, but instead I was treated to a big hard smack on the arse instead.

Sorry to hear about this ****e :(

For what it's worth, Griffith Avenue doesn't feel totally safe to me in parts - for all the nice houses and trees it can be quiet and dark and lonely - I've had the odd close-encounter around there though nothing like what happened to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Sorry to hear of you run issues. Everywhere has its share of idiots.

That's impressive milage I'd love to be capable of that

Singer wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about this ****e :(

For what it's worth, Griffith Avenue doesn't feel totally safe to me in parts - for all the nice houses and trees it can be quiet and dark and lonely - I've had the odd close-encounter around there though nothing like what happened to you.

yeah you're dead right, it is very quiet and there was actually a horrible case of a girl being attacked there a few years ago. Even though I prefer running in winter to summer, one really is limited as to safe areas to run in.
    The Muppet wrote: »
    Sorry to hear of you run issues. Everywhere has its share of idiots.

That's impressive milage I'd love to be capable of that
    Thanks.

Anyone can run that much if they just build up to it gradually. There's this woman I follow on Strava and she runs about 22 miles every single morning of the year in the wee hours. I used to think it/she was bonkers, but now, not so much:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

...and met aero2k after 20 miles on North Road also and stopped for a lovely chat :) Hope you enjoyed the rest of your run!

It was a lovely chat - I didn't feel the cold so the conversation must have been good. I did enjoy the rest of my run, though I was mad at myself when I got home as I never though to offer to run with you - it was getting quite dark at that stage, and you might have been nervous about arse-slappers. Fair play to you for admiring the guy's technique - if you can find something positive to say about what must have been a horrible experience then it show you have the right attitude to chase your goals, no matter how ambitious.

If you're thinking of a new watch, I have the 310. The battery life is so good that I often take it for granted and forget to charge it - as I did today so I have no record of my run. The only thing that's wrong with it is that it's not a 305 - I love robust, simple technology and I'd still have the 305 if I hadn't broken it permanently while trying to fit a new battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

yeah you're dead right, it is very quiet and there was actually a horrible case of a girl being attacked there a few years ago. Even though I prefer running in winter to summer, one really is limited as to safe areas to run in.

Thanks.

Anyone can run that much if they just build up to it gradually. There's this woman I follow on Strava and she runs about 22 miles every single morning of the year in the wee hours. I used to think it/she was bonkers, but now, not so much:D

HA HA, I'll say nothing more about that.

It must be pretty challenging for you from a time management perspective even with the runmutes.

Perhaps one day , until then I'll just read in awe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

I too am an aficionado of the forerunner 305 with its integrated helicopter landing pad. A year or two ago the battery life became very poor too.
    Garmin can replace or recondition the watch for you, even if it's out of guarantee. If you call them on the number on their website they can give you a quote. Iirc it cost me about €80 including postage but it's effectively a new watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

That's some serious millage fair play Ososlo.

aero2k wrote: »
    It was a lovely chat - I didn't feel the cold so the conversation must have been good. I did enjoy the rest of my run, though I was mad at myself when I got home as I never though to offer to run with you - it was getting quite dark at that stage, and you might have been nervous about arse-slappers. Fair play to you for admiring the guy's technique - if you can find something positive to say about what must have been a horrible experience then it show you have the right attitude to chase your goals, no matter how ambitious.

If you're thinking of a new watch, I have the 310. The battery life is so good that I often take it for granted and forget to charge it - as I did today so I have no record of my run. The only thing that's wrong with it is that it's not a 305 - I love robust, simple technology and I'd still have the 305 if I hadn't broken it permanently while trying to fit a new battery.

Not at all. I really wouldn't expect you to run with me at my pace, but thank you. I know you would've said yes if I had asked! The rest of the run was fine as it's fairly well lit and was still early enough and I only had another 30 mins or so left.

Thanks for the recommendation. Great to hear about the long battery life on the 310. I don't need bells and whistles at all so sounds perfect if I do need to get a new one.
    snailsong wrote: »
    I too am an aficionado of the forerunner 305 with its integrated helicopter landing pad. A year or two ago the battery life became very poor too.
    Garmin can replace or recondition the watch for you, even if it's out of guarantee. If you call them on the number on their website they can give you a quote. Iirc it cost me about €80 including postage but it's effectively a new watch.
    Oh interesting! Must ring them. I'd have to borrow a watch in the interim period as I can't be without one. The watch is perfect. It just won't charge up fully - even though it says it is. After about 90 mins, it gives me a message to say it's running low and I know now that it won't last me over 3hrs 25 mins.
    I'll ring them tomorrow. Thanks a million! I'm so attached to that watch and would hate to have to replace it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

On my 3 minute recovery from the first set, I could see these 3 fellas approaching me on bikes. I knew I was in for it but what do you do? I had to turn around just before they approached me to start the next set of reps or the session would have been messed up, so I turned around to do the next stride.

In terms of personal safety I don't think it's ever advisable to turn your back if you think you are 'in for it'. Surely it would be better to see what might be coming. I know it's easy to say that in hindsight but it might be something to think about if you ever find yourself in that situation again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Yeah that was me on the North Road. I missed you on Chesterfield as I stuck to the path, while I saw you running in the cycle lane (tut tut) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Yeah that was me on the North Road. I missed you on Chesterfield as I stuck to the path, while I saw you running in the cycle lane (tut tut) :D

in fairness the paths were a shambles! I ran on the cycle path in spots too but stuck to the side so wasn't taking up any room, annoys the hec out of me that runners & walkers are relegated to the inside, badly lit, often flooded paths on chesterfield ave, my runners were destroyed again today!

kit3 wrote: »
    In terms of personal safety I don't think it's ever advisable to turn your back if you think you are 'in for it'. Surely it would be better to see what might be coming. I know it's easy to say that in hindsight but it might be something to think about if you ever find yourself in that situation again.

well I was expecting verbal abuse, nothing more really but yeah you're probably right. Just too damn focussed on my session to want to disrupt it! Stupid way of thinking though!
    yaboya1 wrote: »

I know I know, but I am very conscious of cyclists and look behind regularly to see if there is one approaching, and if one does, then I move to the grassy bit.
    When it's busy I avoid it completely but it's always full of zoo-goers on Sunday afternoon so cyclists don't really seem to use it on that side. Full of rollerbladers and skateboarders etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

Not at all. I really wouldn't expect you to run with me at my pace, but thank you. I know you would've said yes if I had asked! The rest of the run was fine as it's fairly well lit and was still early enough and I only had another 30 mins or so left.

Depends on what you asked.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

I expected a load of verbal abuse as they passed, something original along the lines of 'nice *** of **** love' or similar as they passed me, but instead I was treated to a big hard smack on the arse instead

It's a while ago now, but I've had exactly the same thing. And it's not as though there's all that much to smack in my case (not boasting, more would be better ...)
    I remember feeling quite mad :mad: about it for an hour or so.

Am sure it won't stop you bringing in those miles, but maybe try to get hold of a phone for the long-distance runs ....

Your mileage these past weeks is something else :).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Sorry to hear about that encounter Ososlo, I'd be needing an anger management run after that :mad:

So impressed with your mileage, super things await in 2016!

• Advertisement

aero2k wrote: »
    Depends on what you asked.....:D

Definitely not for a slap on the arse anyways;)
    It's a while ago now, but I've had exactly the same thing. And it's not as though there's all that much to smack in my case (not boasting, more would be better ...)
    I remember feeling quite mad :mad: about it for an hour or so.

Am sure it won't stop you bringing in those miles, but maybe try to get hold of a phone for the long-distance runs ....

Your mileage these past weeks is something else :).
    Yeah I hate having to carry a bloody phone but probably for the best on quiet, dark winter nights.
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about that encounter Ososlo, I'd be needing an anger management run after that :mad:

So impressed with your mileage, super things await in 2016!

Well my last set of reps were much better than the previous ones so there was a bit of angry running involved!!!

Thanks! Really excited about the long stuff in 2016, and hoping it'll make me so strong, that it'll help bring down the times of the shorter stuff too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Wtf???!!!! Some one slapped your arse while out for a run??? Are you serious?? What did you do??? Next time for sure don't turn your back, I'm sure the shock fecked up your session anyhow? Are you not livid? I would go nuclear :pac:

Wtf???!!!! Some one slapped your arse while out for a run??? Are you serious?? What did you do??? Next time for sure don't turn your back, I'm sure the shock fecked up your session anyhow? Are you not livid? I would go nuclear :pac:

Was a bit upset to start with, and then got really mad, but just got stuck back into the session. Was going to abandon it but decided to try not to let the incident bother me too much as that'd be letting them win.

This week ended up being a real step back week due to a niggle. Even if I hadn't had a niggle, I think it was a good idea to ease off a bit, as the last 5 weeks have been quite high mileage weeks for me - 61, 70, 64. 65, 71.5.

Monday 7 December
    am: 60 mins easy @ 10:29

Could feel a tiny niggle behind my knee as I started running. Had done 23 miles the previous day. Was slightly concerned but then rememberd the boss's advice from a few weeks ago on the day after the long run, when the tendons etc might be a bit niggley or tender, and not to panic, but just to adjust effort downwards as much as possible, and some very slow running should run it off. Ran very easy for 2 miles and it seemed to do the trick. Kept the rest of the run super easy just in case. Lots of AISsssssing prescribed.

Tuesday 8 December
    In Kilkenny for the day and night, and was looking forward to some country running, but the niggle behind the knee was now in the upper calf and while I still wasn't very concerned about it, I thought I'd be sensible and take the day off, as it was 20 days since last one and maybe my body was trying to tell me something. So rest I did. We rejigged things and decided that this week would be a bit of a step back week to let the niggle settle, so no mid-week session, and just short easy runs were on the cards. Lots of AISsing and foam rolling and plenty of protein regularly throughout the day to help the niggle recover. It's fantastic having a coach who's a physio and on speed dial any time of the day or night for panicky niggley concerns. I'm very lucky!

Wednesday 9 December
    am: 60 mins easy @ 9:56

Back in the big schmoke so stopped off in Phoneix Park on the way home as it'd be rude not to. Crazy high winds but kept it lovely and relaxed and enjoyed it immensely. Not a peep outa the calf! Felt so so lucky it didn't develop into anything and never EVER take that luck for granted.
    pm: 45 mins easy @ 9:41
    Had a small window to do a second run but very close to the first one so that was a bit naughty I know but I thought I got away with it. But then again, there's no hiding on Strava, so I didn't actually get away with it!

Thursday 10 December
    60 mins easy @ 10:10

Run home from work. Very tired from no sleep the previous night so breathing was a bit laboured no matter how easy I kept the effort.

Friday 11 December
    65 mins easy @ 9:34

Donned my new Garmin 310 and off I trotted full of excitement and expectation with my new gadget. It seemed to pick up satellite much quicker which was great as it meant I wasn't freezing me bum off outside waiting for it to lock in.
    Nice run and the last few easy days along with a fantastic night of sleep last night made for a much quicker run than usual. Calf/knee felt perfect and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Reviewed the run when I got to the car and it was all fine. When I got home to upload it however, it seemed to have disappeared from the watch. I definitely didn't delete it so don't know what that's all about but I wasn't best pleased.

Saturday 12 December
    am: 45 mins easy @ 9:59

Headed to local park. Couldn't do loops as I just couldn't wade through the water. It was literally half way up to my knees at one point so just ran back and forth a bit and around the playground to mix it up. It wasn't that enjoyable really as I couldn't get any rhythm going due to the massive lakes of water all over the park and roads. I've never seen flooding like it in that park. When I was finished, I noticed that there were white suds on my pants all down my legs! Was wearing new leggings that I'd never worn before so there must've be something in them causing it. Luckily not many in the park as it must have looked a little odd!
    Watch uploaded fine after run. Phew!
    pm: 60 mins easy @ 9:32
    An absolute joy compared to the morning run.

Sunday 13 December
    30 mins w/u, 55 mins @ 2hr race pace (AT), 30 mins cooldown

Was really nervous about this, as the last 2 times I did it, it was part of a race, so was very unconfident of doing it on my own. Thought about doing it as part of Aware 10k yesterday but the day and time didn't suit in the end.

Warm up miles: 9:40 9:22 9:25, with a brief stop off at the Hole in the Wall for a sneaky pee. Didn't feel like taking a chance with the 'en plein air' peeing today, as it's very exposed around the North Road at this time of year. Felt good on the warm up which is always a good sign. So onto the AT. Took a while to get into my stride due to encountering a lot of large puddles I couldn't run through but by the second mile I was into a lovely rhythm and kind of enjoying it. Just imagined myself doing a half marathon and eased back the effort a tiny bit to dial into the correct pace (by feel). Amazed by the splits today and REALLY REALLY pleased with them and the progress I'm making with this particular session. I'll let the figures speak for themselves:

18 October
    9:01 8:55 8:50 8:55 8:49 8:51 8:56 (avg pace 8:53)

1 November (as part of a 10k race)
    8:43 8:47 8:27 8:29 8:57 8:26 7:58 (avg pace 8:36)

11 November (as part of a 10k race)
    9:06 8:30 8:16 8:12 8:21 8:30 8:17 (avg pace 8:30)

13 December (on me tod)
    8:51 8:29 8:28 8:24 8:05 8:18 8:19 (avg pace 8:24)

Cooldown miles were really fast for me too at 8:50, 8:53, 9:35. Ososlos don't DO sub 9 min cool down miles!!! But they felt so easy today! But I was freezin me bollix off when I dialled back on the pace for the cool down so probably running a bit too quickly to keep some life in the body!
    No Brief Encounters of any kind on the North Road today but it was still a great afternoon in the park and a very successful run. Happy out.

The best news of the day was that there wasn't a peep out of calf/back of knee as today was the real test. I have a really really really long run to do next weekend, so I think what I'll do the following day is not run until the evening/night and definitely won't do a double the day after it, in case I end up niggley again. Can't afford to be missing my mid-week speed session, as I badly need to keep on top of that side of thing in conjunction with all the plodding I'll be doing over the following months.

52.6 miles weekly total

Monday 14 December
    am: 60 mins easy @ 9:40

Felt great. Absolutely pouring rain and no one in the park only me and two other runners and an old man and a dog. The old man gestured to me like he wanted to ask me something so I stopped. He just wanted a little chat about nothing really and thinks I'm a bit mad as I'm always in the park running loops. I didn't bother pointing out that this must mean that he is also mad as he's always in the park walking loops :)

pm: 40 mins easy @ 9:42
    A few drinks were had in the afternoon to celebrate my brother's arrival home from NZ and the effect hadn't totally worn off by the time I did my second run but I felt really good and full of energy.

Tuesday 15 December
    am: 60 mins too fast @ 9:34

This was with my brother. His easy pace is somewhere around 8 min/mile. Mine is 9:40-10:10 min/mile so what do you do? Started out making him run to my pace and ended up running way too fast. I felt a slight bit of a hangover and had a bit of a sick stomach from eating loads of rubbish the night before. Felt better as the run went on. Passed 2 running legends within the space of 3 minutes. First was Catriona McKerninan running with another guy who looked familiar (neither of them responded to our hellos btw) and then the biggest legend of them all - Harry Gorman who always has a big smile and a wave. That man rocks.
    pm: 40 mins recovery @ 9:49

Wednesday 16 December
    5.5 miles easy @ 9:39

Departmental thingy in work in afternoon. Had no interest in getting smashed so sipped on a glass for an hour so managed to escape and skipped off happily into the night to do my run.

Thursday 17 December
    3 x 6 x 40 secs hard off jog back recovery - 3 mins jog between sets

Not sure what was wrong with me tonight but I didn't wanna do my session. I wanted to plod. Just wasn't in the mood for running fast and putting in any effort, and just felt like a lazy biatch. Contacted the boss and dropped some not so subtle hints about possibly dropping the session as I have a super long run Sudnay and maybe need to save my energies, but to no avail. He was either not picking up on my pleas, or chose to ignore them (the latter I think;)). Off I plodded feeling very sorry for myself indeed. As I suspected, once I got moving I was grand. In fact, I was more than grand. I was loving it and couldn't wait to start the session. Once I got started on the reps I was absolutely flying and raring to go and loved the feeling of moving quickly on my feet for a change. I know this session is really good for me as I'm a plodder at heart but need to get these legs a'movin' at a quicker pace every now and again. These were done at mile 'effort' but I think I did them a bit too fast as a lot were done at early 6 pace which is certainly not my mile pace. I did at least one rep under 6 pace so was dead chuffed about that. Super session and flew home with some quite fast miles on the cool down feeling very light on my feet. All info on Strava if anyone is interested!
    8.2 miles @ 9:22 pace

Friday 17 December
    55 mins recovery @ 9:53

Easy one to shake out the legs and collect the car. Nothing of note except a man walking, stopped me at the traffic lights and asked me did I want to hear a joke. Go on says I. 'What do you call an Irish man trying to break up a fight? Liam Malone.' Dear god... I do tend to attract some odd ones..

Saturday 18 December
    am: 4 miles easy @ 10:04

Slept superbly and really really deeply, but didn't feel great on this morning's run. Very sluggish and no zest.
    pm: 5 miles easy @ 9:49
    Felt a lot better but held back as much as possible due to the long long run ahead of me on Sunday....

Sunday 19 December
    26.2 miles @ 9:34 pace - 4hour 10 min marathon run

24 min unofficial marathon pb

Was supposed to do a 4 hour 5 minute long slow run today. At the back of my mind however, I thought that if I was feeling good I'd push it out to marathon distance as I knew 4 hours 5mins would be close but no cigar.
    Was a tiny bit nervous this morning when I could hear the wind and thought about the task ahead, but I wouldn't have not done this run for anything.

Did 4 mile loops of down North Road, down by zoo and up Chesterfield and down North Road again. I love loops. Suit me mentally as it breaks the run up into small manageable chunks.
    First mile was slow enough, but once I got into it by miles 2 and 3 I knew I was in for a good day. Everything felt right. I found a lovely rhythm, I was in a good place mentally and my body felt super. The wind was bad enough in places but I just eased off the effort and kept my body relaxed and not stress about it.
    I stopped off at car at 90 mins and again at 3 hours to have a slug of sports drink but the stops weren't more than 20 seconds each. I actually hate stopping at all as it put me off my rhythm so will have to think up a way to carry stuff as the long runs get longer.
    Every few miles I asked myself:
    Are you enjoying this?
    Do you want to stop?
    How do you feel?
    The answers were positive every time except for once after the first stop when I wasn't feeling the joy but within a mile I was back to loving it again.
    Felt great towards the end of the run, so decided to push the distance to marathon distance and push the pace a little. Overall pace was 9:34 and mile 26 was @ 9:17 pace and 8:37 for the .2 bit. Definitely had something left in the tank when finished. Bring on the next long one!

Weekly total: 75.4 miles
    12 hours 8 mins running

A big big Happy Christmas to everyone! Let the party begin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Don't you know you're not supposed to PB in training?! ;):D

Nice work - are you going to recover much after the virtual marathon, or is it the same again next weekend?

Singer wrote: »
    Don't you know you're not supposed to PB in training?! ;):D

Nice work - are you going to recover much after the virtual marathon, or is it the same again next weekend?

ha ha believe me the effort was very easy! It just happened naturally! Not my fault:)

Thank you - no there's no super long run for another 2 weeks. Will just recover with some easy miles for the next few days and hopefully no niggley niggles arise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Superb way to top off a great week. You're some woman for one woman!

Have a great Christmas!:)

love it :) LOL on the guy in the park, I must plan my long runs later in the day after the christmas break so can 'run' into you :D

• Advertisement

RedRunner wrote: »
    Superb way to top off a great week. You're some woman for one woman!

Have a great Christmas!:)

Ah cheers R!
    And have a great one yourself too!!!
    Firedance wrote: »
    love it :) LOL on the guy in the park, I must plan my long runs later in the day after the christmas break so can 'run' into you :D

I'll have to start mine a bit earlier as they get longer! Was a bit too dark plodding around this evening. I'll take a leaf out of your book for the NY AM!
    Nice running today and super week for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

That's another solid week in the bank there A - fair play to you, tough time of year to stay consistent too

Duanington wrote: »
    That's another solid week in the bank there A - fair play to you, tough time of year to stay consistent too

Thanks so much D! Delighted with the week really and being able to run a significant marathon pb in training off the back of a hard week's training. Makes me fairly hopeful of doing a decent DCM next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Delighted for you. What a run on a Sunday. If you'd been out earlier myself and D could have joined you and you'd have had your first fantastic Boards run date.

aquinn wrote: »
    Delighted for you. What a run on a Sunday. If you'd been out earlier myself and D could have joined you and you'd have had your first fantastic Boards run date.

thanks m'dear!
    I'm sure our paths will cross some day very soon! Enjoy the last few miles reaching the big 1,000 milestone! Heels or no heels:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Wow, an off-the-cuff marathon PB! That's just fantastic and (further) proof that your training is paying off.

• Advertisement

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Wow, an off-the-cuff marathon PB! That's just fantastic and (further) proof that your training is paying off.

Thanks BG! Body feels great today too unlike my first marathon where I couldn't walk very well for a few days! Was able to get out for an hour long jog earlier and everything feels good!!

Happy Hols:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Wow, a marathon PB on a training run ..... Connemara won't know what hit it. It's well deserved, you're doing solid training :) enjoy lots of Christmas pudding :):)

Neady83 wrote: »
    Wow, a marathon PB on a training run ..... Connemara won't know what hit it. It's well deserved, you're doing solid training :) enjoy lots of Christmas pudding :):)

Cheers Neady!! Really love my training and SO looking forward to Conn! Gimme a 39 mile race over a 5k any day :D
    have a fantastic xmas and hope you get to do lots of great training over the hols and most importantly of course, lots of partying!

Cheers Neady!! Really love my training and SO looking forward to Conn! Gimme a 39 mile race over a 5k any day :D
    have a fantastic xmas and hope you get to do lots of great training over the hols and most importantly of course, lots of partying!

You too Ososlo, make sure you get a rest and enjoy all the festivities :). If you're planning on coming down to do any training in Connemara, let me know, I'll do some of it with you and can do a food drop or pick you up - whatever is needed. I absolutely love it out there :)

You too Ososlo, make sure you get a rest and enjoy all the festivities :). If you're planning on coming down to do any training in Connemara, let me know, I'll do some of it with you and can do a food drop or pick you up - whatever is needed. I absolutely love it out there :)

How kind!!! No harm to take a little trip West for a bit of a recce run! Will pm in NY :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

That's amazing, I don't think I have ever heard of someone setting a Marathon PB in training. Well done, and perfect timing to let yourself go a bit over the X'mas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Ososlo wrote:
    How kind!!! No harm to take a little trip West for a bit of a recce run! Will pm in NY Thanks

Cough! Not before you meet up with me!
    Happy Christmas.

aquinn wrote: »
    Cough! Not before you meet up with me!
    Happy Christmas.

How about a Boardsie recce o the Hell of the West?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

How about a Boardsie recce o the Hell of the West?

Oh yeah, count me in.

Ososlo... You mad thing, running marathons in training, fair play to you on the dedication and the time!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

Running 4 10 at the end of a 75 mile week is impressive. Looking forward to your next official marathon outing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

rom wrote: »
    Running 4 10 at the end of a 75 mile week is impressive. Looking forward to your next official marathon outing.

Yes agreed, I think it's time you put your good form to proper use and nail down an official PB.

Monday 21 December
    60 min recovery @ 10:23

Didn't sleep a wink on Sunday night after my solo marathon distance run. I just couldn't relax my mind and was wired all night. Body felt fine except for slight groin stiffness on rising, which eased out after a bit. Finally got round to doing some xmas shopping which I'd been avoiding, as I just can't stand shopping and shops. They leave me edgy, but the walking around was good for the old bod.
    Got out in the late afternoon for a few miles. Kept it very very easy as conscious of getting a niggle but all felt good but a little sluggish.

Tuesday 22 December
    60 mins easy @ 9:55

Had visitors arriving in early so no way of getting a double in today. Probably no harm to take things super easy after Sunday. All good. No niggles. Great sleep.

Wednesday 23 December
    am: 10k @ 9:26
    Gorgeous morning. Felt good despite the hangover. Did my run in a progressive manner and finished up with 4 mins @ 5k effort just 'cause....

pm: 4 miles @ 9:25
    This was a bit of a 'selection box' of a run. The week is a proper step back week, so am just doing whatever I fancy for the week (within reason!). Threw in a few strides, did a fast hill sprint and ran most of it steady with easy bits in-between. Really enjoyable bit of a run/jog/sprint etc medley.

Thursday 24 December
    4 miles easy @ 9:56

Strava tells me I was hungover. I canna remember...

Friday 25 December
    Rest

Was actually quite well behaved on Christmas day as was planning to run the Stoneyford 5 the next day. Well I still had about 10 drinks over the day but they were well spaced out and lots of water in between. Didn't sleep very much at all however as sharing a room with 2 sick folks. Considered sleeping in the car as didn't want to catch their sickness but it was a little bit too chilly for that!

Saturday 26 December
    Rest

Stoneyford 5k which was my planned 5k attempt before the year was out was cancelled due to the flooding. It was too late to do Parkrun by the time we realised.... however, we bumped into a guy my brother knows from Gowran in town that night who told us about the 5k on in Paulstown the next day so made a decision to give that a lash instead.

Sunday 27 December
    Paulstown 5k @ 7:51

24.20 gun time (no pb but my 2nd fastest 5k)

The only aim for this race was to give it 100% effort. I had no expectations of a pb due to the usual Stephen's night shenanigans with my sisters and brother in town the previous night.

Drove my sister to Kildare on Sunday morning to get her lift to the airport and got back to Paulstown in time to register and do a bit of a warm up with a few strides.
    Lovely flat course and a nice morning for it. Would highly recommend this race to anyone and I think it's also run in November so if you're in that neck of the woods...
    Lined up a few rows back behind the fast looking gentlemen and women and all the kids who had pushed through to the front when the race director told anyone who felt they could win it to move up...
    Course was 2 laps. I do remember feeling like I was kind of enjoying it for the first mile or so and thinking that wasn't the plan for this morning, so upped the effort immediately. Problem was I felt like puking when I did that so had to hold back a bit. The legs were willing but my system was not willing to tolerate much. Lots of prosecco burping ensued. As I said, I can't remember much but I do remember passing 3 fit looking women who I thought at the start looked like they could win it (their hangovers were obviously worse than mine!), and I also remember not being passed by anyone after a mile. I passed my parked car about half way through the race and not pulling out of the race and sneaking into the back seat to hide, took all the willpower in the world.

I had absolutely no finishing kick in me whatsoever (which one of the Gowran coaches was quick to tell me :) ) as the main focus was trying not to let the dry retching turn into projectile vomiting!
    Surprised a bit by the result and thought it might be a bit slower. Official gun time (no chip time) is 24.20 which is only 16 secs off the pb, so I'm happy enough with that effort for the morning that was in it.

Met ASIMONOV after the race as he had been stewarding. I thought I recognised him earlier on as someone I knew from a previous life. Turns out he was who I thought he was - the coolest older guy EVER on the school bus who had all the obscure band names on his school bag, and all the gals fancied him. Had a great chat and am joining Gowran AC next week and hope to do some track sessions with them over the summer - when my longer races are over for the year, but will aim to get down a few times before then too to try out some sessions. The singlet isn't even that bad if I do have to wear it ;)
    Oh and my hungover brother came 2nd in 18.12 and was very surprised with his time due to feeling shight also.

31 miles weekly total

Monday 28 December
    6 miles easy @ 9:46

Ring Road Kilkenny. Just ticking over. Legs felt perfect after race.

Tuesday 29 December
    6 mile easy @ 9:54

Ring Road Kilkenny in the other direction. Thought I'd get loads of running and doubles done in KK when home for the hols but seemed to be very busy every day doing shag all really. Strange.

Wednesday 30 December
    10 miles easy w/6x45 sec strides @ 9:30

Ring Road Kilkenny. Most enjoyable. Felt like I could have run forever tonight. Remembered back to doing one of my early C25k sessions on this stretch and realised how far I've come in a few years. I remember in the beginning when every single step was such an effort and running for a minute felt like the hardest thing in the world and I felt like dying after it. I still loved it from the very first running steps I took even though it was so painful.

Thursday 31 December
    10 miles easy @ 9:56

Last run of the year in the Phonenix Park on the way back home to Santry. Very windy but very enjoyable once again.

Friday 1 January 2016
    10 miles easy @ 10:10

Local park, but couldn't run full loops around the park due to flooding so lots of tiny loops and to'ing and fro'ing. Did 3 min loops over and over. My loops are getting shorter. Soon I'll just be running marathons around my coffee table :)

Saturday 2 January
    Had a sneaky plan all week (didn't tell the boss man in case he thought it was a bad idea to race again so soon) to do Parkrun this morning to try and better my time from last Sunday and try to sneak in under 24. I didn't feel great when I woke up however. I have a lingering cold and just lacking a bit in energy so scrapped that idea. I also didn't get to sleep until 3 so wasn't feeling full of beans when the alarm went off at 7:30. Turned over and went back to sleep. That attitude will get me far... however I do think I made the right decision as I don't think I could have run very fast today and it would have just lead to disappointment.

am: 5 miles easy @ 9:39
    Quick spin into town to meet my mother who was shopping for the day. I tried out my super new running backpack that my boyfriend kindly gave me for xmas. It's perfect. Very little jiggling and can fit shoes and pants and top etc.
    pm: 4.5 miles easy @ 9:54
    Return leg of journey.

Sunday 3 January
    Plan called for 60 mins @ AT w/wu & c/d however after 5 mins at AT effort, I knew it wasn't happening today. My breathing was just very bad and legs sluggish and head felt like it was spinning. Time to take a day or two off unless I'm 100% tomorrow. This bloody cold just won't shift so only one thing for it... rest. Should have listened to the boss a few days ago when he told me to rest.. I'll learn. Or maybe not...
    8 miles @ 9:53
    60 miles weekly total

Starting from tomorrow, booze is out the window for foreseeable future and even though I've been fairly good with the old AIS over the hols, I have been neglecting my usual Lunge Matrix and Myrtl routines for the last 2 weeks, so back on the wagon tomorrow. Mileage will be steadily climbing for the next few weeks with the long run going over marathon distance and introducing more and slightly longer doubles, so I know I need to keep the ancillary stuff going in tandem, to ensure the body stays intact, or I won't be able to handle it, and will break and there'll be little pieces of Ososlo scattered all over the Phoneix Park :)

great news on joining the club! and well done on the hungover race, I don't see any mention of nerves or a stitch :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice going A, but don't be afraid to take a day off, especially after a 26.2-mile run. Well done on joining the club, even if it's a bit far away for regular participation! Happy New Year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Well done on joining the club, why did you pick them when there are 3-4 clubs on your doorstep??

Blockic is a member of Gowran A/C if I'm not mistaken - you met him on one of our Christmas nights a couple of years ago, although he's in Chicago these days.

"Coolest older guy ever....." yeah right ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement