Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Be still my beating heart

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Delighted you PB'd yesterday Aoife, and without really trying too.

Excellent stuff, just goes to show a little bit of determination and dedication pays huge dividends.

I think your log is probably one of the only logs on here when even on the bad weather days/sick days you look for excuses to run when so many look for excuses not to run. Fair play and there's plenty more to come off that time yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

wowzer wrote: »

Excellent stuff, just goes to show a little bit of determination and dedication pays huge dividends.

I think your log is probably one of the only logs on here when even on the bad weather days/sick days you look for excuses to run when so many look for excuses not to run. Fair play and there's plenty more to come off that time yesterday.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Not to get sidetracked from A's who you're right does a huge amount, and I'm looking forward to hearing about her run, but in fairness to other posters and logs here I think the second part of your post is a little inaccurate. There are many other examples of people doing the same thing, running high mileage, running doubles, getting up at crazy o clock or going out at 11pm, juggling kids and work, running 18 or 20 milers after long haul flights, runmuting, doing insane laps of pitches, dealing with snow, wind, flooding - all these logs and posters have excuses not to run and make sure they do it anyway.

Looking forward to the race report A!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Cheers G! I agree with Laura though. What I do is nothing special. It's people like yourself who have full time jobs and small kids and still manage to not make excuses, who deserve the real credit. And especially the people who do crazy sessions and long runs in the wee small hours, before work, so as not to impinge on family life. If my only choice was to run at 5 or 6am well, that would be the real test of my dedication.

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Any more details for us??

Absolutely!!! Gimme time!
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    We are so different :D

lol I KNOW! I was only thinking the same thing myself after reading your 3k pb report:D I'm sure we'd get on great IRL, but in running terms we're like chalk and cheese:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

FFS woman give us something will ya!

FFS woman give us something will ya!

Barry, you need a Strava account!

ps - It was only a training run so no big deal!!! When the week's training is complete, I shall log it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Ososlo wrote: »
    Barry, you need a Strava account!

ps - It was only a training run so no big deal!!! When the week's training is complete, I shall log it :)

So blasé :p. Fair play to you, that's only a great training run then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice going out there - strange enough looking course but very consistent run!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

+ 1 to strava, we have all the details we need :p well done A, again :D

Monday 19 January
    pm: 7 miles easy @ 9:38
    Felt fabulous this evening and just wanted to run and run. The morning off obviously did me good!
    About 4 different old men with dogs who are always in the park have now befriended me and each one has to have a motivational few words for me EACH TIME I PASS! Trying to think of something witty to retort with keeps me busy!

Tuesday 20 January
    am: 4.9 miles easy @ 9:57

Run to work to 'other' job (I have 3). My morning runs are always quite slow. I'm just not a morning person at all but once I got going I really enjoyed it.
    pm: 5 miles easy @ 9:46
    Return leg net uphill. Feeling good on the inclines with the backpack.

Wednesday 21 January
    am: 6 miles easy @ 10

Felt like shight this morning. Fell into a really deep sleep with lots of very vivid dreams and only woke twice all night which is far from normal which you'll know all about if you read this tripe! I've noticed before that when I sleep like this I feel awful the next day. Wrecked and in very poor form. Took it very handy on the run. Didn't let the heart rate climb much over recovery effort (by feel) until near the end.
    pm: 6.2 miles easy w/6x45 sec strides - 9:30 pace
    Trip to B2R in afternoon and got yet another pair of my Brooks Racer ST5's. I've gradually transitioned from wearing stability shoes on all my runs to wearing these much lighter shoes for the majority of my runs with no ill effects. I'm wearing them for nearly everything except recovery runs when I wear my stability Mizuno shoes. I wore the ST5's for all the long runs up to 28 miles and am rotating 3 pairs. Even though I have about 600 miles on one of my current pairs of Brooks, Garry said that they still look ok and I must be quite light on my feet as there's only a little bit of wearing on the soles. The new pair do feel extra cushioned though.

Thursday 22 January
    pm: 9 miles easy @ 9:36

Run to car in Whitehall, dropped the bag and intended to do 2 more miles to bring it up to 6. I don't know what happened, but before I realised it, I had 9 done.

Friday 23 January
    Took the day off. Hadn't slept and was just feeling a bit weak during the day. Onset of the female affliction which we shall not speak of :) Debated all day in work about whether or not to run in the evening. Checked in with 'himself' and he said no, don't run. So run I didn't.

Saturday 24 January
    Staplestown marathon @ 9:27
    4hrs 10 mins (24 mins pb)
    Trying to find information about this run was like trying to unearth the 3rd secret of Famita or trying to infiltrate the Secret Service. The only information I had was that the race started at 9 in Staplestown somewhere...
    There was a FB page but I'm not on FB and it was a closed page. It's hard to give out when it's only 25 quid though...

The hardest part about this training run BY FAR, was getting up at 6am. I went to bed and fell asleep about 11, but woke at midnight and was awake until 4. Slept from 4-6 when alarm went off. Nearly cried. Absolute torture getting up. My stomach was in ribbons too. I wasn't nervous or anything but I was apprehensive about getting there on time etc so maybe that wasn't helping matters. I considered skipping the race, but then thought to myself, sure people like dintbo would have a hard session done and dusted by this hour and it's after 6am now and lots of normal people get up at this time 5 days a week, so move your lazy arse you fcuking biatch! It worked:D
    Eating was very difficult. I couldn't manage more than a few mouthfuls of bagel. I had some nuts and some of a banana and a bit of a breakfast bar. Puke.... not quite, but almost...
    I never normally eat until mid-morning. Even when I run to work I don't eat until I arrive in work at about 10am when I'm settled in to the desk. My stomach tends to be a bit sensitive I guess so need practice with eating early as I'm gonna have to eat before Connemara.

When registering I heard someone saying that the slower people had started an hour earlier and that everyone heading off now would be looking at sub 4 hours. ****!!! No way was I going to be running 4 hours today!
    Met Ultraman and had a nice chat.
    Stayed at the VERY back but even that pace felt too fast for me starting off. I love to start at recovery effort and gradually ease into it, but everyone was tearing off ahead!!! Was in a little group at the very back, but I told them I was going to hang back as there's no way I was going to race a marathon today. I hadn't even tapered and this was not part of the plan! I was getting very worried as the gap widened more and more and that this would be a complete embarrassment, and I'd leave all the organisers waiting around for me to finish WAY after everyone else had gone home :(
    I considered opting out as it was loops I could just sneak back to the car without anyone seeing me. I know I'm a slow runner but I've never actually been last in a race since school, and don't know if I could handle it in such a small field.

So I let them all off and gradually got back into my normal comfortable stride, and stopped panicking and just said I'd do a loop and see what happened. Well lo and behold within a few miles I started passing people and passed people who had gone out too fast the WHOLE WAY home. The only people to pass me for the rest of the race were the 2 leading guys who lapped me and then the 3rd place guy a bit later.
    I felt so strong and comfortable throughout. I felt strong on the hills when everyone around me seemed to be walking, and I felt strong into the wind. Nothing fazed me. My legs felt like they could go on forever and my breathing was lovely and relaxed and easy. My stomach was a bit iffy here and there though.

Loved the lapped course. It was fairly challenging with long long uphill drags into the wind which was fairly strong at some points too, but it was exactly what I needed from a training run point of view as Connemara will be very exposed and hilly so it was good practice for that. I was on my own for large parts of it but could always see someone half a mile ahead or behind. It didn't bother me that I was on my own for long periods. I like being alone :)
    It was great to be able to just hold back as much as necessary when my stomach felt a bit dodgy, compared to if I was racing and panicking about the pace and time on the clock.
    Picked it up a bit towards the end, and when entering the village I picked it up a few notches more toward the finish. Stomach felt sick at the end though when I upped the effort. It was bad all evening and had absolutely no appetite.

So I was prepared for no fanfare at the end which was absolutely fine but I didn't know exactly where the finish line was and had to ask a girl who was supporting! I presumed the race was being hand timed or something as we had no chips so got my bag and started heading back towards the car. Then I saw some people wearing medals. I asked about the timing thing and they said that I was supposed to give my watch time to the official when I finished. Walked back to the finish and found him and showed him my watch. I didn't know about how all this worked so now that I know it'll be easier for the next one. I appreciate the low key approach with the low cost etc but when you're new to all this how are you supposed to know how it works!

I think I'll do Lusk Marathon at the end of February as another long slow run. Oh and I got a medal! I don't hold much interest for medals but I guess it is nice to get one for a marathon pb. And then I got some goodies and had a nice little chat with some folks and the organisers one of whom asked me to join his club, and was offered a lift back to my car by a very friendly car load of people so went home in very good form indeed! Lovely bunch of people! You do feel like a bit of an outsider to start with as everyone knows everyone else but they couldn't have been more welcoming.
    Pleased with that effort today and delighted that I ran every single step and not once did I even consider walking, just like for my first marathon!
    It'll be interesting to see what I can do by DCM in October with a taper and specific marathon training.

Splits:
    9:18 9:15 (out and back section before the 4 laps of the course)
    9:24 9:46 9:33 9:419:37 9:44 (lap 1)
    9:52 9:46 9:26 9:19 9:17 9:19 (lap 2)
    9:23 9:40 9:27 9:12 9:14 9:14 (lap 3)
    9:16 9:42 9:39 9:28 9:09 9:05 8:44 (.47)

Sunday 24 January
    am: 1 hour recovery @ 10:42

Everything a little tender starting out but felt wonderful as the run progressed. My new motto is 'Don't force it: just let it happen... naturally' stolen from the boss man. It's working for me!
    Terrible night's sleep again last night but I expected that as it's always the same the night after my lsr. Tonight will be the night that I sleep soundly for 8 blissful uninterrupted hours. I know it will happen ;)
    pm: 34 mins recovery @ 10:54
    Had a nice walk on Portmarnock Beach in the afternoon followed by another few recovery miles.

73.5 miles weekly total

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Nice splits! Congrats on the PB :) I know it was a training run but nice to be able to take a chunk off even when it's your LSR, you and the marathon are due a proper bash soon!! You really do seem to like the longer stuff, glad you're enjoying it. I couldn't imagine doing the marathon distance for training :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Congrats on the PB, looks like you are flying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Some shape O! Massively impressive running going here.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Well done, would like to see what time you could achieve if you raced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Unreal Ososlo, well done on the PB. You're determination, attitude and consistency is to be admired :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

Great running A, you told us 4:10 would be no problem and despite your "problems" it was no problem! Savour that feeling of passing people throughout the race, it will drive you on to greater things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Glad you enjoyed it, and of course congratulations but it was only ever going to be a PB.

Will be looking forward to the results of your next raced Marathon (or HM even) ;). Will be great to see what you'll do at race effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Super stuff A. Imagine what you will do when you race. Great things ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Congratulations! I can't believe your last 2 miles OF A MARATHON were your fastest :D. You made the whole thing sound effortless. And another impressive mileage week too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Impressive stuff, well done on the marathon pb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Impressive stuff, well done on the marathon pb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Great training Ososlo and congrats on the mara pb!

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Utterly ridiculous post, and mildly insulting insinuation that the rest of us are lazy buggers looking for excuses not to run. In the vast majority of logs I have read here I have seen nothing other than strong dedication to training, targets and the sport in general. This kind of ego-boosting nonsense is not really the kind of thing she really needs to be honest. This doesn't help somebody become a better runner.

Good work with the training. Interested to see how you place in Connemara. I think you could be reasonably competitive if you believe you can be.

Wow. I won't reply to Chiv on here as I don't want to detract from Ososlo's log or her achievement.
    But if you want to pop at me Chiv there's a PM function.

Mods please delete my post if you feel it is insulting to anyone. But what I stated is my opinion to which I am entitled to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Wow. I won't reply to Chiv on here as I don't want to detract from Ososlo's log or her achievement.
    But if you want to pop at me Chiv there's a PM function.

Mods please delete my post if you feel it is insulting to anyone. But what I stated is my opinion to which I am entitled to have.

I had deleted my post but you were on the ball. Leave it up now sure anyway.

You posted publicly. I can reply publicly. Your opinion is your opinion. But it is clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

A. What a brilliant LSR. So pleased for you. Really fantastic. Good and strong mind and body. Well done.
    x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

A. What a brilliant LSR. So pleased for you. Really fantastic. Good and strong mind and body. Well done.
    x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Great training O, really impressive mileage.
    Congrats on your PB.

Thanks so much for the kind words and acknowledgements everyone. Not sure I deserve them but I'll accept graciously. All I'm doing is lots of something that i love with a passion so it's not like it's ever a chore and running slowly for 26.2 miles is pure bliss. Except for getting out of bed at 6am! Now that was a massive accomplishment and I deserve lots of praise for it and maybe even a medal ;)

Anyways, onwards and upwards! The body feels great today and got in 2 very slow short runs yesterday and 2 x 6 mile recovery/easy runs today and feeling back to normal now, so delighted about that as the aim was not to interrupt the training. I'll move on from that one and head strongly into a fresh new week!
    Happy running :)

Monday 25 January
    am: 6 miles recovery @ 10:10

Local loops. Still kinda in recovery mode from marathon run on Saturday, but not feeling too bad at all.
    pm: 6 miles easy @ 9:53
    Spin up to airport arrivals and back. Felt great.

Tuesday 26 January
    pm: 7 miles easy @ 10:18

Very slow and sluggish. Tiredness catching up with me. Really glad I run to effort and not pace, so just listened to the body and eased back as much as necessary.

Wednesday 27 January
    10 miles easy @ 9:36

Very stressful day and never wanted a cigarette more by the end of it. But luckily I have running now to fill that smoking void!
    Ran home from town with backpack. Felt fantastic so dropped bag at car and did 4 loops of my new favourite loop. Tis a great auld loop.

Thursday 28 January
    7 miles easy @ 9:47

Run home from work and dropped backpack as above and did 2 of my favourite new loops. Would have loved to have done more, but the pressure was on to rush home to work for the night.

Friday 29 January
    4 miles easy @ 9:45

Really annoying run. Watch started freezing early on and continued to freeze throughout. Had to keep stopping and doing a soft reset but it just kept happening so only one thing for it - hard reset, but I couldn't remember how to do it so just cut the run short. I know it's ridiculous that I couldn't continue running without the watch as I 'need' the stats, but maybe it was a blessing in disguise and a message from the running gods to take it easy today.

Saturday 30 January
    2 hours with 60 mins at A/T effort in middle

w/u: 9:34 9:50 9:37
    a/t miles: 8:33 8:32 8:22 8:34 8:25 8:22 8:19 (avg: 8:26)
    c/d: 9:23 9:43 9:49 9:39
    Was SO bloody cold starting out. I had a long sleeved top on and a teeshirt over the top but my arms were like blocks of ice throughout. Just couldn't warm up.
    I worked hard on the AT bit, didn't force it, tried to run fast and relaxed into the wind, and think I got the effort right. It's my 2nd best avg pace on that session (8:24 avg pace a few weeks ago) but considering the wind yesterday I'm quite pleased with that.
    13.3 miles @ 9:01 avg pace

Sunday 31 January
    am: 5 miles recovery @ 10:02
    pm: 5 miles recovery @ 9:55
    All ticketyboo except for disrupted sleep last night.

Weekly total: 63.6 miles
    Monthly total: 316 miles
    Total runs for Jan: 46
    Days run: 30

January was very good to me as I miraculously avoided sickness when everyone around seems to be suffering from something or other. It was touch and go for a few days but I got away with it. No issues on the injury or niggle front, thank the gods, despite the very long runs and overall increase in mileage and highest monthly mileage total to-date. Thanks January :)
    Let's hope February brings more of the same! I'll run Lusk marathon as another training run near the end of the month but I have the small matter of a 31 mile run to get out of the way next weekend first:eek: Can't wait:D

I joined Raheny recently, over the past couple of years I have got used to running 6 miles on my break. The last couple of weeks I have been going to the gym on my break and then going out with the club. Looking to start doing doubles, going out on my break and with the club at night.

As someone who has been doing doubles a while any advice..? I am thinking maybe just doing 1/2 for the first few weeks and ease into it.

Sorry for hijacking you're thread, I did not think it needed a new thread and I know you love the doubles.

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote: »
    I joined Raheny recently, over the past couple of years I have got used to running 6 miles on my break. The last couple of weeks I have been going to the gym on my break and then going out with the club. Looking to start doing doubles, going out on my break and with the club at night.

As someone who has been doing doubles a while any advice..? I am thinking maybe just doing 1/2 for the first few weeks and ease into it.

Sorry for hijacking you're thread, I did not think it needed a new thread and I know you love the doubles.

All depends on what time you run at lunchtime and what time your club trains at. I'm pretty sure Ososlo leaves 8-12 hours between runs on double days.

All depends on what time you run at lunchtime and what time your club trains at. I'm pretty sure Ososlo leaves 8-12 hours between runs on double days.

that's funny, this very topic came up yesterday on my lunch run, I've never done a double day and I'm not convinced they're for me. I wonder why the op wants to run twice a day? is there a reason dub13? shouldn't we *mostly* allow our bodies recover & adapt from one run before doing another? Interesting topic and maybe it does need a separate thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Firedance wrote: »
    that's funny, this very topic came up yesterday on my lunch run, I've never done a double day and I'm not convinced they're for me. I wonder why the op wants to run twice a day? is there a reason dub13? shouldn't we *mostly* allow our bodies recover & adapt from one run before doing another? Interesting topic and maybe it does need a separate thread!

I could be wrong, but I've always just assumed it's because she doesn't have enough time in a single block to do the number of miles she wants to do that day. Is there any reason why it ought to be worse to do two 6 mile runs rather than a single 12 mile run, for example?

Maybe it should get a thread. :D

Dub13 wrote: »

Hey! Yeah I've been doing them for quite a while now as both my current trainer and previous one were avid fans. I think they are a very safe way of building mileage with less injury risk than longer singles, as long as you approach very sensibly and listen closely to the body.
    Obvs no expert myself but I'll give you my opinion.
    Starting out, yes just try one a week for a few weeks and not more than 35 mins for the extra run.
    Introduce a second if you're dealing with it ok and build from there but introduce very slowly.

To start with, leave 6-8 hours between runs. A commute could work out well here but you might get away with lunch and club at night as long as you do the lunch run very easy, maybe at recovery effort. You'll want to be very fresh for club session so defo don't overdo it at lunch!
    Actually, maybe you should do the first few on days that you don't have club that night and just on an easy day and see how you get on.

If you are getting any negative feedback from the body like fatigue or lots of aches, just ease back and wait for the body to adjust before continuing or increasing.
    If anyone else wants to jump in with advice please do.

She doesn't!!! Not anymore. When I started doing them yes, I would leave 8 hours but no it's sometimes only 4 now😯 But that is after a few years of doing them.
    I'm waiting to be given out to but it hasn't happened yet so sssshhhhh ;)

Ososlo wrote: »
    She doesn't!!! Not anymore. When I started doing them yes, I would leave 8 hours but no it's sometimes only 4 now😯 But that is after a few years of doing them.
    I'm waiting to be given out to but it hasn't happened yet so sssshhhhh ;)

I'm tellin...

I could be wrong, but I've always just assumed it's because she doesn't have enough time in a single block to do the number of miles she wants to do that day. Is there any reason why it ought to be worse to do two 6 mile runs rather than a single 12 mile run, for example?

Maybe it should get a thread. :D

There are threads on the topic. Have a search or I'll dig out later when on the pc. Lots of varied opinions on the topic!
    Imo, 2x 6 mile runs would stress the body a lot less than 1x12.
    It suits my lifestyle to run twice also, as I am working from home a lot and hunched over a desk so love to get out twice into the fresh air and move about. I have recently discovered work commutes so now have another excuse to run twice a day.
    But the bottom line is I adore running, so like anything one loves, why wouldn't one want to do it twice a day :)

Firedance wrote: »

I remember Ososlo posting a link to threads/articles on the benefit's of doing doubles a year or so ago. I remember thinking that could be for me in the future and asked a few questions at the time. As for my own reasons its mostly a time management thing, I have 4 young kids and I try not to take up to much time with training.

I work a kind of split shift and have an average of about 2 hours for my break. Over the last few years I have just got into the habit of doing 10k on my break, if I can add in another couple of sessions a week with the club in the evening I would be at 70k a week. With my Sat & Sun runs done when the kids are all in bed I could easily hit 100km per week and essentially only be eating into a couple of hours family time when I am at the club sessions.

Thanks for the advice Ososlo, I am just back from the club session. Was only 5 1/2 hours between finishing my lunch run and starting the club session but I took it very easy at lunch time. The body feels good, hopefully it will feel the same tomorrow.

Monday 1 February
    am: 6 miles easy @ 10:16

Really slow jog in the wind.
    pm: 6 miles easy @ 10:03
    Very stormy out this evening. Just left myself to the mercy of the elements. Didn't fight it, and enjoyed every step.

Tuesday 2 February
    6 miles easy @ 9:48

Had to be somewhere in the evening, so only time for once today.

Wednesday 3 February
    am: 6 miles easy @ 9:59

Had a horrible headache all morning and it stayed with me for the run. Never get headaches normally.
    pm: 4 miles easy @ 9:53
    Headache gone but kept it short. Most enjoyable on a beautiful night :)

Thursday 4 February
    Rest today as I had a bit of a cold. Terrified it'd develop into full blown sickness so took the day off and treated myself with kid gloves. Ate lots of really healthy food, didn't stress myself all day and gargled intermittently with salt and water and had lots of vitamin C. Slept brilliantly.
    Went to register for Lusk marathon today and saw it was sold out! Feck! Not the end of the world as it's only another training run but still, I know it's good for me to do plenty of these low key events as prep for my longer races when I'm actually racing. Anyways, a nice man called Frank in EOI got me a place so I'm in! Thanks Frank!

Friday 5 February
    Woke up feeling a bit better. Still a bit of a cough and sneezing, but didn't feel sick as such. RHR still a bit high. Didn't run until the evening and only intended on doing 4-6 miles but felt great as I was running, so just kept going.
    10 miles easy @ 9:55

Saturday 6 February
    8.4 miles easy @ 10

Only time for one today as had to go to KK to babysit for the night and let my sisters and mother go out on the tear.

Sunday 7 February
    30 miles easy @ 9:45

Terrible sleep due to unsettled insomniac niece (kindred spirits), and was a tiny bit apprehensive about doing this as still a bit of a lingering cough and really didn't want to make things worse and scupper the training so approached this with the idea in my head that I'd scrap it if I didn't feel right. Eased myself very very gently into it and was basically crawling for the first few miles. I realised after a few miles that I felt fine and I'd be able to do this today. It was a bit slower than all my previous long slow runs which I'm putting down to the weather and the after effects of the cold. Felt very comfortable throughout, forgot about the watch and just ran how my body wanted to with nothing forced. Did 8 x just under 4 mile loops around Ring Road, Castlecomer Rd, Glendine and back around to Newpark. The plan had me down for 4hrs55 mins. I called it a day at 4hrs 53 mins as I hit 30 miles when I got back to the car so just left it at that.
    Weather very varied with a strong enough wind in places and the paths weren't in great condition on the Comer Road but didn't let it bother me. Feet sopping wet from the start as there was a pretty bad downpour near the start. Wore a very light little wind-breaker thing I picked up in TKMax during the week which kept my top half dry throughout. Great purchase. Was still quite cold for most of it though and might wear an extra layer in similar conditions the next time. Not a lot more to say really about it all as there was very little visual stimulation due to people staying indoors with the crappy weather, so just lots of loud traffic in my ears for the whole 5 hours but nothing much more to comment on!
    Felt good towards the end and picked it up a tiny bit but no great heroics today but my last mile was my fastest. Stomach felt very good throughout and afterwards compared to last lsrs. I'm putting this down to not eating any protein prior to the run. I just had 2 croissants and a banana. Feel great tonight and tempted to pop out for a few miles to hit that elusive 80 mile weekly goal! But I won't!!

Weekly total: 77 miles

77 miles, gasp, 1 x 30 mile run, hats off to you A, you're really taking to this longer stuff like a duck to water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

Wow, 30 miles! What you doing Ososlo? Ok I'll read back... :D But reply if you want :)

JMSE wrote: »
    Wow, 30 miles! What you doing Ososlo? Ok I'll read back... :D But reply if you want :)

Ah don't bother:D
    Connemara ultra up next. 39.3 miles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

FANTASTIC. Following now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

You definitely seem to be suited to the long distances! 24 hour race next? It's perfect for insomniacs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Wow. You rock! What's the peak mileage going to be or have you any idea yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

30 miles :eek: 5 hours of running :eek: YOU ROCK

Great work A. Fair play to Frank. If you get a chance have a chat to him in Lusk. He has experience of both your goal races ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Super work Ososlo!! What will your longest run before Conn be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

chickey2 wrote: »
    You definitely seem to be suited to the long distances! 24 hour race next? It's perfect for insomniacs!

Jaysus isn't she mad enough without you giving her ideas..

• Advertisement

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Wow. You rock! What's the peak mileage going to be or have you any idea yet?
    RubyK wrote: »
    Super work Ososlo!! What will your longest run before Conn be?

thanks!
    LSR won't go much beyond what I've been doing. Another mile or two maybe, but feeling pretty confident at this stage of being able to manage the distance without having to go too much further in training. Weekly mileage won't increase that much either. A lot depends on what I can personally fit in each week depending on how busy I am with other RL stuff.

RubyK, how's the marathon training going?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement