Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Be still my beating heart

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Thursday 1st September
    10 easy miles @ 10:01 pace

10 laps of local park after work. Went out to do about an hour, or 6 miles, but felt great, so just kept going. Didn't sleep much at all the previous night, so was expecting to feel crap on this, but turned out to feel quite the opposite. Sleep in general has been really good recently. Maybe I've found the sweet spot training wise. Since Belfast, I'm having the odd night where I don't wake at all during the night which has never happened in my life before!

Friday 2nd September
    6 easy miles @ 10:02 pace

6 easy ones after work. Kept it short as I get the feeling 'some people' think I'm doing a bit too much these days, but it doesn't feel like it to me. No harm pulling back a bit I guess... Energy levels are superb this week. I dropped the hill blasts this week however, just to be sure to be sure to be sure with the knee, but nothing from it now in a good few days, so I feel I'm out of the woods, and will reintroduce the hill work next week if all continues to remain good.

Saturday 3rd September
    am: 8 miles easy @ 9:56

8 laps of local park in absolutely torrential rain, and loved every minute. I had 'my' park, all to myself this morning. A distinct drop in temperature too, which was most welcome. I'm done with warm weather running and much prefer running in winter temps. Gave the 24 hour tee-shirt its first outing on this run. I really like it and it's a lovely shade of blue, but it did start oozing out some sudsy white stuff down onto my shorts in the rain!!! Luckily the park was empty as it did look a bit odd:eek:
    pm: 6 miles easy @ 9:51
    A lot drier than the morning run. Most enjoyable 6 laps of Ososlo Park.
    I had an idea on this run that some day in the next few years, I'm gonna challenge myself to run either 100 laps of this park or keep on running laps until I can't run any more laps. Not sure which yet...

Sunday 4th September
    21 mile LSR @ 10:08

Thought I'd try to mix things up a little for the long one today, and instead of doing my usual one mile loops, I parked in Phoenix Park and trotted into town, and then down the Quays to the 3Arena, taking in some of the side streets. Then, back up the Quays, down into Chapelizod, and back and then into the park again, up Chesterfield, and a few more short loops to make up the distance. I had to wear my Brooks St5 racers as my stability shoes are still drowned from yesterday's run so was a little concerned about the pounding and potential effects on the knee. Turned out to be absolutely fine though. I also forgot to bring my normal fuelling, so stopped to buy some crappy orange sports drink in Spar, as I wanted something that cost exactly a euro so I wouldn't have a load of coins jingle jangling in my pockets for the run. Felt a bit sluggish for the first few miles but started to feel better as the run went on and finished feeling good. Was very thirsty though, and sweating a lot despite the low effort levels, so maybe feeling a little below par today and the pace was a tad slower than usual.
    I'm not sure how I feel about this meandering around Dublin on the LSR and think I prefer my 1 mile loops. I just can't seem to get into any kind of rhythm on these kinds of runs. Maybe I'm just weird ...

Weekly total: 77.4 miles 12hrs 55mins

3 weeks to go! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Ososlo wrote: »
    I'm not sure how I feel about this meandering around Dublin on the LSR and think I prefer my 1 mile loops. I just can't seem to get into any kind of rhythm on these kinds of runs. Maybe I'm just weird ...

"Strangely idiosyncratic" I would say - not "weird".

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Ed Mc Groarty

You'll be well trained now with all your park mile loops.

Had heard rumours but it's now official: The 24/12/6 hour races are now being held in Tralee Town Park and not on the 400m track, due to low numbers apparently (doesn't really make sense to me).
    Really pissed off about this as I was SO looking forward to doing a race like this on the track. With Belfast moved from the track too, it looks like I'll never have the chance now to do a track 24 or 12 hour race.
    Oh well, what ya gonna do...
    Tralee Town Park is new venue. .75 mile loops, so similar to Belfast and my training runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Ed Mc Groarty

Belfast 24hr will be back in Mary Peters 2018 far as I know.

Belfast 24hr will be back in Mary Peters 2018 far as I know.

That's good to hear Ed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Least they made it official now! You still going to go ahead with it despite the change of venue?
    The guy I was going to be doing an hour with as a guide runner has pulled out from the 6 hour event.

The town park is quite nice I think, you will get to know it well I guess! It's in the middle of the town which is nice for just a general good atmosphere in any event there I find.

diego_b wrote: »
    Least they made it official now! You still going to go ahead with it despite the change of venue?
    The guy I was going to be doing an hour with as a guide runner has pulled out from the 6 hour event.

The town park is quite nice I think, you will get to know it well I guess! It's in the middle of the town which is nice for just a general good atmosphere in any event there I find.

Oh god yeah! I'm all geared up for it now, so nothing's gonna stop me:D they can hold it in a field and I'll still be there:D
    Accommodation changed from CI to a guesthouse right near the Park so that'll be very convenient for the set up and after the race etc.
    Yes, I'm thinking the atmosphere will be much better in the new venue and the Garmin will work better for pacing too! Looking on the positives!

Oh god yeah! I'm all geared up for it now, so nothing's gonna stop me:D they can hold it in a field and I'll still be there:D
    Accommodation changed from CI to a guesthouse right near the Park so that'll be very convenient for the set up and after the race etc.
    Yes, I'm thinking the atmosphere will be much better in the new venue and the Garmin will work better for pacing too! Looking on the positives!

Good stuff and no bother to you sure!!

Haha hardly 'no bother'! I'm expecting it to be hell on earth, but ya know, in a good way :D

Well done in the HM! All looking good for you!

• Advertisement

Haha hardly 'no bother'! I'm expecting it to be hell on earth, but ya know, in a good way :D

Well done in the HM! All looking good for you!

No bother to you in the sense of trained proper and going on your Belfast report well prepped for the event!
    Ta very much, nice event and great route (albeit timing issues this year).

Monday 5th September
    Off. Recharging the batteries, replacing the oil, checking the valves and under the bonnet etc. All in good working order!

So, the 5th toenail came off since Belfast this evening. It's all been quite traumatic. I never had this happen me before, and now I lose 5 in a few weeks, but it's the only negative after effect since the 24 hour, so I guess I got away fairly easy. Still though, not nice. Luckily I haven't had any soreness and they seem to be growing back fairly quickly. UGH!

Tuesday 6th September
    am: 6 miles 'easy' @ 10:30

It was extremely hot and heavy this morning. No matter how slowly I went, I just felt crap. I thought I'd be feeling wonderful after the day off, but my breathing was just dreadful and the sweat was pouring off me from the first minute. Felt slightly better as the run went on, but not much. Don't understand why I felt so bad. Gonna blame the weather.

pm: 6 x 8 sec hill blasts
    Did 4 laps of Football Pitches in Phoenix Park, and then hooked up with my brother and we did the hill sprints together. Felt a lot more sprightly this evening than I did earlier today, but it was still extremely warm and humid. Really enjoyed the hill sprints and legs felt a lot zippier after them. Bumped into AMK going the other way at the top of the S-Bends so he joined us for a few cool down miles which was most enjoyable. He's looking in great shape and I felt like I was running with a celebrity as he seems to know every single runner in the Phoenix Park. The female variety of runner seemed particularly pleased to see him ;-) Good to see you Alan and great to see the training going so well!
    8.4 miles @ 10:14

Wednesday 7th September
    9 miles easy @ 9:50 pace

Felt great tonight. Temps were a lot cooler and breathing was great. Really feeling the love tonight!

Thursday 8th September
    am: 5 miles @ 10:22

With the bus strike, I didn't have any option but to walk or run to work, so took the obvious option. I'm terrible in the mornings and it takes me ages to feel any way alive so this was a real plod, but enjoyable all the same. I found myself extremely sleepy in work during day which must have been due to the early run. I also found I had no appetite when I got to work. I hadn't eaten any breakfast but still had no appetite when I was settled into the office. I guess the body just needs to adjust to the new regime. I plan on run-muting regularly from now on, to help build the mileage in preparation for Belfast next year.
    pm: 5.6 miles @ 10:06
    Fell hard on the pavement a mile into this run outside IFSC. It hurt A LOT. I fell on my hands and knees so they are cut up a bit but I didn't inure myself which is all that matters. Cuts and bruises will heal. Thanks to the nice guy who stopped to ask if I was ok. Bloody was dripping down my hand all the way home but no option but to keep on plodding. It was either jog or walk and jogging didn't hurt but hand was very sore. Lashing rain too. FUN FUN FUN!

Friday 9th September
    am: 5 mile run to work

Didn't sleep at all the previous night. My hand was paining me a bit and was stinging like mad. My knee was also sore and stinging. Again, I had no other way of getting to work except walking or running so I said I'd start out running and change to a walk if necessary. I took it very handy and was fine, but I was a bit paranoid about falling again, especially as I was so tired.

Got a funny message from my sister when I arrived in work, apologising that she couldn't meet me for our planned lunchtime run as she forgot to shave her legs. And I thought I was vain! Just as well as I think 3 runs today would have been overdoing it a tad with the lack of sleep but it will be handy to do this the odd time when building mileage over the winter.
    Ended up taking a half day from work as I was even more useless and unproductive than I usually am. I was aching a lot in neck, shoulders and arm from the fall. Again, the only way home was to walk or run so took the running option, despite there being only 3.5 hours between runs. Took it very easy again and was fine. Home to bed for a few zzzz's.
    10.6 miles @ 10:11

Saturday 10th September
    8 miles easy @ 9:56

Took the morning off as I'm tapering back a bit from this week and ended up doing more than planned already this week due to the bus strike. Felt very fresh doing this so the 24 hours off did me the world of good and had a great sleep last night. Started off at 10:40 pace and ended at 9:27 pace for the same perceived effort throughout.

Sunday 11th September
    15 miles Medium Run @ 9:41

If Carlsberg did long runs... Bliss. Much shorter long run this week with the taper. This was amazing, and 10 times better than last week's long one. 15 loops of local park. Stashed my fuelling in my secret spot in the park and just went round and round. Felt great from start to finish and as above, the easy effort just naturally got faster as I went on.
    10:05 9:53 9:53 9:50 9:54 9:49 9:37 9:51 9:52 9:57 9:39 9:27 9:29 9:19 9 8:10 (last bit)
    Full of vim and vigour today despite the very strong wind and was tempted to push it out to 20 miles but it really is getting too close to the main event for silliness like that so luckily I had enough sense to leave it at that.

Weekly total: 68.2 miles
    11hrs 25 mins

Will pare back another bit now this week. Sleep not bad at all lately except for one terrible night during the week, and body feeling perfect since the fall. Still some bad bruising and cuts but structurally, I'm sound :D Things are looking good:D

2 weeks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice week. Know how you feel about the cuts and bruises. ;)

Monday 13th September
    Off. Taper time. Ate loads, slept well.

Tuesday 14th September
    6 miles progressive & 2 c/d

10:20 9:48 9:14 8:51 8:17 7:41 & c/d @ 9:23 9:32
    Waited until the evening to do this so essentially, I had 2 days off, as it was 48 hour since I last ran. Felt very rested and had 2 nights of really good uninterrupted sleep. This was a fantastic run. Yeah, I was working hard by the end, but the last 7:41 mile is faster than my 5k pb pace and it didn't feel TOO bad, so that bodes well for giving a pb a good ole lash at some stage, maybe before DCM - we'll see how recovery goes.
    8.1 miles @ 9:09 pace

Wednesday 15th September
    am: 6 miles recovery @ 10:07

Eh, I won't be wearing that underwear when running again! Ouch!
    Was a bit slower than that in reality as GPS was off for first mile which usually happens. It usually records my first mile too slow, but today it was too quick!
    pm: 7 x 8 sec hill blasts w/2.5 mins walking recovery
    7 miles @ 10:45

Did a few laps of the football pitches in the Phoenix Park and on the 3rd warm up mile I felt a twinge in my foot. If I had been on my own I wouldn't have done the hill reps, but I had arranged to meet my brother to do them so gave it a lash. Felt fine during the hill reps, but again on the cool down the foot was niggly again. Front of foot where it meets lower leg felt strained. Was more than slightly concerned. Got home, and undertook my usual programme of worry, icing, elevating and ibuprofen. Went to bed and slept ok, and when I woke up I couldn't feel a thing!

Thursday 16th September
    am: 5 miles recovery @ 10:22

Took if very easy just to be sure with the foot. This was a run to work due to the bus strike. The backpack is definitely giving me shoulder and neck strain which is not ideal at all with the 12 hour coming up next week but I had no other way to get to work and had to bring stuff with me. Took it super easy.
    pm: 5.4 miles @ 10:03
    return leg of journey. Hit the jackpot in work today and was given the gift of time. HR has messed me about with annual leave days over the past few years, so essentially I am owed a bunch of leave which has to be taken before the year is out. As I only work part-time, this means I won't be there much between now and 2017! This is brilliant as it means I'll have loads of time to build up a big base of mileage for my mega assault on Belfast 24 hour next year. So, if I want to go out and run 40 miles on a Thursday, I can do just that :D

Friday 17th September
    6 miles easy @ 10:09

With the bus strike on again, no time like the present to start using up those leave days! Felt like a bag o shight starting out. I think the runs with the backpack home from work which are mainly uphill are taking it out of me and are more like sessions, so that could be the cause of the sluggishness. Felt good by mile 3. My RHR was at its lowest ever this morning at 43 and has been very low in general for the past few weeks, so maybe I'm getting a bit fitter.
    pm: 5 miles easy @ 10:18
    Felt very sluggish again. Was fine all day, but when running I just wasn't feeling 'it'.

Saturday 18th September
    10 miles easy @ 9:50

That's more like it! Felt great this evening. Absolutely perfect evening for it. 10 laps of local park. Last longer run before D-Day.
    Haven't been able to do my usual Myrtle floor exercises all week, as my knees are still too bruised and sore from the fall last week to kneel down, and right hand is still a bit too sore to put pressure on. I can't use the foam roller either but I have a hand-held roller with all the spiky bits which is working well on most areas.

Sunday 19th September

Had a social thingy to attend this afternoon and it was a real test to see if I'd be able to get through it without drinking much. I just can't afford to get trollied this close to race day. Very proud of myself to get through 5 hours with just one g&t and one glass of white wine. Can't say I enjoyed it as much as I would if I had been able to drink freely and was getting quite twitchy a few hours into it. Was meant to run today, but I didn't really sleep last night so agreed with the boss man that at this stage, a day off would serve me better than a run.

Weekly total: 53 miles

So here we are. Not much more I can do at this stage. A few easy runs next week and that's it. I feel extremely lucky to be getting to the startline feeling pretty fit and healthy and strong. Whatever happens on the day/night, I know there isn't much more I could have done in the short enough timeframe. This is really just a bonus race, as I never in a million years thought I'd be doing such a long race again so soon after Belfast, but I still want to do well. So fingers crossed the running gods will be good to me on Saturday :)

A Goal - 70 miles
    B Goal - 65+
    C Goal - 62+ (pb 61 from Belfast @12 hrs)
    D Goal - Run, or at least keep moving forward for the FULL 12 hours unless injured or medically advised to pull out!

Recap since Belfast:
    Long runs: 10, 13, 15, 17, 20.4, 15, 25.3, 28, 21, 15 miles
    Weekly mileage: 35.6, 60, 59, 64, 62, 65, 68, 70, 77, 68, 53
    Races: 1 - DNF in Staplestown 50k with knee niggle but got a good 25 mile training run out of it and some long race experience.
    Niggles: Knee niggle and foot niggle. Didn't miss out on any training with either as they turned out to be insignificant. Sometimes I think I just over-dramatise these things in my head.
    Medical: Had the op but only missed 2 days of running and got out the other end in good shape. Have a final follow up with consultant this week, so presuming all is tickety-boo!
    Diet: Not as strict as it was for Belfast and did have the odd glass of wine here and there but no major sessions!
    Sleep: has been good in general (last 2 nights terrible however :( ) and energy levels have been good.

So let's see what we can do! Tralee Town Park, I'm comin' ta get ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

I hope the knees & hand are fully recovered. Arnica if you haven't been taking it (tablets) and rubbing(cream/gel) it into the bruising is great for healing bruising. Its on permanent supply in my house.

You are amazing and an inspiration. Wishing you the very best for next Saturday and that A goal is reached.

Younganne wrote: »
    I hope the knees & hand are fully recovered. Arnica if you haven't been taking it (tablets) and rubbing(cream/gel) it into the bruising is great for healing bruising. Its on permanent supply in my house.

You are amazing and an inspiration. Wishing you the very best for next Saturday and that A goal is reached.

Hey Anne, no I've never used it. Will try Boots for that tomorrow. Thanks a million! And thanks so much for the good wishes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Best of luck Ososlo :) I saw a pic of the medal, it will be well earned. Hope you enjoy the race :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

It's only Tuesday :p but okay, the very best of luck A, have a great race, looking forward to the report :)

• Advertisement

aero2k wrote: »
    Best of luck!
    How are you? Hope all well. And thank you!!!!
    Neady83 wrote: »
    Best of luck Ososlo :) I saw a pic of the medal, it will be well earned. Hope you enjoy the race :)
    I saw it too S! Exciting!!! I really hope I enjoy it too. Finger crossed. So good to see you getting back on the saddle (and road!).
    Firedance wrote: »
    It's only Tuesday :p but okay, the very best of luck A, have a great race, looking forward to the report :)
    Haha didn't know it was in pink until I saw it on the PC!
    Thanks so much. Really getting excited now. Usual apprehensions about goals etc, but feeling confident all the same.
    I don't remember having taper madness leading up to Belfast, but this time I have *swollen tonsils with a cold, a throbbing right calf, a really bad headache, a corn on my left foot, a very sore lower back, a general all-over bodily fever, and chronic insomnia amongst other lesser things:D

Packing is proving to be a breeze as thankfully I kept all my waterproof, see-through, labelled, zip-lock bags from Belfast, so all I need to do is to pop said items in bags! Pays to be so OCD at times!

Now, I wish I had someone here to obsess about the Tralee weather with for the full taper madness experience, but I don't think any other Boardsies are doing the race. Currently I'm seeing a high of 16 degrees, with 24km/hr winds and high humidity. Not great really, especially if the rain is persistent for the full 12 hours but no point in worrying! But I will anyway!

*may or may not be all in my head!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Best of luck A hope it goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Best of luck for another epic adventure! Your preparation has been great and I really hope you get your A goal. If the taper madness is proportional to the length of the race, it's gonna be bags of crazy for a 12 hour ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

I don't remember having taper madness leading up to Belfast, but this time I have *swollen tonsils with a cold, a throbbing right calf, a really bad headache, a corn on my left foot, a very sore lower back, a general all-over bodily fever, and chronic insomnia amongst other lesser things:D

Ah, you'll be grand!

Good luck with it, would not say I'm jealous, but that's am impressive goal you have there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Best of luck on Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Best luck Saturday O, this is only a little one:D no bother to you.

• Advertisement

Best of luck for Saturday A, I hope Kerry treats you well and hoping to drop by and see some of the goings on during the day. Fingers crossed the weather plays ball for you, the parkrun organizers like to joke that the park is always dry for a time when the parkrun is going on, I am hoping they have an extension into the afternoon, evening and night for you!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Best of luck but sure all the hard work is done right...time to enjoy.

Best of luck for Saturday A. Great to see the progress you are making in more ways than one ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

All the best on Saturday! Hope it goes well for you, I'm sure it will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Run well m'dear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck Ososlo - you will have a super day I've no doubt! Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

All the very best on Saturday with the race and goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Have a great race! I hope it goes really well. And sure, it's only 12 hours etc. etc. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best of luck! Sounds like you learnt a lot in Belfast so hope it stands to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIFA2004

Good luck on Saturday!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Enjoy the race and best of luck.

You've been going very well lately

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Have a great run A, have a blast :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Best of luck, hope it goes well for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck O, have a great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

The very best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Have a great run tomorrow A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Give it socks, A! All rooting for you.

Thanks so much for the good wishes! Landed in Tralee a few hours ago :D Forecast ain't great so defo a day for the waterproof mascara ;)
    Can't wait for tomorrow!!!
    Good luck to all the half marathoners tomorrow and all the Berlin folks.

Bring it on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Hi ya - best of luck , I hope the weather improves !

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Enjoy yourself missus..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Best of luck, A. ENJOY!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

Enjoy the loop the loop

Enjoy the loop the loop

Enjoy it? I won the fecking women's race and came second overall!!! Close to first :D

Now what do I win :D ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Enjoy it? I won the fecking women's race and came second overall!!! Close to first :D

Now what do I win :D ?

Wow, holy crap! Well done :cool::pac::D:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Wow that's incredible! Well done!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement