Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Be still my beating heart

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Amazing. Well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Well done oso .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Ososlo wrote: »
    Enjoy it? I won the fecking women's race and came second overall!!! Close to first :D

Now what do I win :D ?

You little beauty! That's brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D. Massive congrats! Wow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Ed Mc Groarty

Congratulations,
    Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Wowzers! Sound like you hit the A+++ goal. Congratulations :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Enjoy it? I won the fecking women's race and came second overall!!! Close to first :D

Don't be keeping us in suspense, it wasn't a Pineapple was it.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Great stuff A, delighted for you!!!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Super stuff well done, some progress in such sort time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Woh well done A congrats :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done O. Congrats !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Celebrations time.... Take a week or two off and do some non running stuff... Then back on the horse :):)

Fantastic result A, and well deserved I might add... Congrats 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great news! Kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIFA2004

That's brilliant!!! Delighted for you!! Can't wait to read about it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Well done. A
    You're some woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Well done. A
    You're some woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Fantastic! Huge congratulations to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Brilliant, a change of name is long overdue! Looking forward to the report :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Very well done, Ososlo, look forward to reading about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Thanks so much folks!! Just presented with my 'First Female' medal :D Who would have ever thought??? Certainly not me!!

Mileage wise it was a bit down on what I initially hoped for, but to be very honest, the win means much more to me than an extra few miles. It was a tough tough tough 12 hours and a lot of mental and physical battles were fought.
    Just .05 under 63 miles I think, but official results not in yet. Not a bad day's work :)

'Ultraslo' maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Fantastic, but not in the least bit surprised, as you never stop training and really deserve this. Delighted for you. Pictures with the fab prize pls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Congrats Ososlo, really well done and we'll deserved. Recover well!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Wow. Congrats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

'Ultraslo' maybe?

Oso-ultra?

That's absolutely brilliant, delighted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Excellent. Well done, A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Ah great stuff A, delighted for you! You looked so comfortable the two times I saw you, I was in the park walking two laps with a mate coming to end of his first marathon around 4pm (he found it tough going but he got it done). I said a quick hi to you but I was wary to disturb you to be honest as you were so steady. We were back to the playground with my daughter around 6:15/30pm after the 6 hour runners finished and I have to say you looked very comfortable and steady after 6 hours on the clock. Well done and happy to hear the event went so well for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

ah that's just superb - really delighted for you and richly well deserved. You've certainly found your place in the running world!!!

** I do take some credit for running 2 miles with you a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

There's no doubt but that you've found your running happy place A, I'm so delighted for you. Your dedication to your training has more than paid off, massive congratulations :):) Enjoy the after glow :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'll be referring to you as 'Notsoslo' from now on. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Absolutly brilliant :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭aero2k

How are you? Hope all well. And thank you!!!!
    I'm great thanks, even better for hearing this wonderful news!

But did you enjoy it?:D
    snailsong wrote: »
    Well done. A
    You're some woman.

I don't think anyone can argue with that sentiment. Race report?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Amazing achievement A!! Super running.

OMG, seriously, thank you all SO much for those lovely comments. They mean a lot to me!
    diego_b wrote: »
    Ah great stuff A, delighted for you! You looked so comfortable the two times I saw you, I was in the park walking two laps with a mate coming to end of his first marathon around 4pm (he found it tough going but he got it done). I said a quick hi to you but I was wary to disturb you to be honest as you were so steady. We were back to the playground with my daughter around 6:15/30pm after the 6 hour runners finished and I have to say you looked very comfortable and steady after 6 hours on the clock. Well done and happy to hear the event went so well for you.

Ah, so it was yourself! I'm really sorry I didn't stop to chat but I wasn't completely sure who you were if I'm honest:o I was very much in the zone too:o:o Fair play to your mate and delighted to hear he got through it. Lovely that you were there to help him get through it. I think I know who he is on Strava. Thanks for the kind words. I was feeling pretty good for the first half or so alright and good to hear I looked comfortable! I was really tryingn to keep as relaxed as possible as there was still a long long way to go! Hopefully meet you properly soon under circumstances more conducive to chatting:D

aero2k wrote: »
    I'm great thanks, even better for hearing this wonderful news!

But did you enjoy it?:D

Race report?

Good to hear all is well. Catch up properly soon.
    Well, I enjoyed a lot of it. There was a real race and lots of mini battles going on for a lot of it for positioning etc and that's the first time I've ever really done that. That part was fun! There was a lot of it that I didn't enjoy as I was completely fcuked physically, and battling with my own demons mentally, so that wasn't very enjoyable! But I got through it in one piece!

The race report will be a while! Not feeing half as bad as I did after Belfast, but still very sore so everything is in slow motion! No injuries, so delighted about that and I had no toenails to lose this time!

Marty, 2 weeks off, you fecking joking me:D I'll give it a few days and test the waters later in the week:)

Ah, so it was yourself! I'm really sorry I didn't stop to chat but I wasn't completely sure who you were if I'm honest:o I was very much in the zone too:o:o Fair play to your mate and delighted to hear he got through it. Lovely that you were there to help him get through it. I think I know who he is on Strava. Thanks for the kind words. I was feeling pretty good for the first half or so alright and good to hear I looked comfortable! I was really tryingn to keep as relaxed as possible as there was still a long long way to go! Hopefully meet you properly soon under circumstances more conducive to chatting:D

No probs at all, absolutely you were cruising when I saw you and I just said to myself I'll say hi and if I bump into you walking at some stage then grand I can chat but otherwise leave you alone. Your pace looked so steady as it does on Strava too.
    My mate got there alright and he went out again I think at 5:30 to get the last half an hour in and walked a few laps. He said was feeling fine but he couldn't sit down/squat...he'll be okay in a few days I am sure. I think the worst thing for him on the run was that his feet were really hurting him a lot. He has an entry for Dublin so he said if he recovers well he might do it.
    Hopefully you recover well as I think you said you before you have an entry for that too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Watching the Strava FlyBys is very therapeutic / addictive :) Well done again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Well done A! Super achievement and a great testament to the great dedication and training. Extra special to get your first big win. Plenty more for you over that horizon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Amazing result ! Well done ! Delighted for you !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Great result. Really well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Enduro

Congrats. Very well done indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭aero2k

Good to hear all is well. Catch up properly soon.

I might be able to catch up, but I'll never be able to keep up!:D

diego_b wrote: »
    No probs at all, absolutely you were cruising when I saw you and I just said to myself I'll say hi and if I bump into you walking at some stage then grand I can chat but otherwise leave you alone. Your pace looked so steady as it does on Strava too.
    My mate got there alright and he went out again I think at 5:30 to get the last half an hour in and walked a few laps. He said was feeling fine but he couldn't sit down/squat...he'll be okay in a few days I am sure. I think the worst thing for him on the run was that his feet were really hurting him a lot. He has an entry for Dublin so he said if he recovers well he might do it.
    Hopefully you recover well as I think you said you before you have an entry for that too?
    Ah cheers, D.
    Yep, I have an entry, but it'll really be a case of jogging around it as even though the legs are recovering well, it'll just be too much too soon for me to race it. I might do it as a 20 mile long slow run and 10k pickup at the end. One thing is for sure, I'm really looking forward to it! Hopefully catch up after it!
    nop98 wrote: »
    Watching the Strava FlyBys is very therapeutic / addictive :) Well done again!
    demfad wrote: »
    Well done A! Super achievement and a great testament to the great dedication and training. Extra special to get your first big win. Plenty more for you over that horizon!
    Bluesquare wrote: »
    Amazing result ! Well done ! Delighted for you !
    davedanon wrote: »
    Great result. Really well done.
    Enduro wrote: »
    Congrats. Very well done indeed!
    aero2k wrote: »
    I might be able to catch up, but I'll never be able to keep up!:D

Cheers guys, really appreciated! The brain is a bit fried from all the alcohol I've consumed since Sunday, but I'll piece together a report very soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

The brain is a bit fried from all the alcohol I've consumed since Sunday, but I'll piece together a report very soon!

And there is me patiently waiting for the report so I can finally check if you felt as comfortable as you looked throughout.

And there is me patiently waiting for the report so I can finally check if you felt as comfortable as you looked throughout.

ha! I'm on it!!

A pleasure to meet you again on Saturday!

Run the Kingdom 12 Hour Endurance Race
    "From Last to First"

I’ve mentioned it a few times before here, but I hated running with a passion, all my life up until I started ‘Couch To 5k’ a few years ago. I especially hated it as a kid. I just wasn’t able to run fast. I was very competitive, but I was useless at running, and being a good runner meant to be able to run fast and win. That was never going to happen for Ososlo. I came last, or in the last few, in every single race I ever did as a child. The abiding feelings of racing as a child in primary school were ones of failure and frustration. Then there was the humiliation – the annual humiliation. We were forced to do this annual race in the local village. The loop was around a mile, and it started at the top of a steep hill. We were told to just run as fast as we could, all the way around, and that’s what we all did. So by the time I got to the bottom of the hill, my goose was cooked and it was a long long painful, mainly uphill slog, all the way home – most of it walking. And then there were stitches too which made it even more painful. So it was me, and the other dregs of the race, hobbling our sorry way back into the village, with everyone else waiting for us. Dunno how long it took me, probably about 20 minutes, but it felt like hours. I thought my heart would burst out of my chest as I struggled my way around the loop, but the humiliation was far worse than the pain. There was lots of other stuff going on in these days, and this annual humiliation just compounded those feelings of uselessness and failure. Freud would have had a field-day delving into it all :pac:

Tralee Town Park, 24 September 2016:
    ‘And here we have no. #448, A.L, who’s having a great race today and is looking really strong every time she passes. A.L. ran over 100 miles in Belfast earlier this year and is currently leading the female race and in second place overall.’

:eek:Feck! I was in a race. I was in a race and was actually winning the race! How did this happen? Did he just say my name? Ha, that’s mad! I’m not a runner, but I’m leading a race and feeling very comfortable and happy? This is great! I’m so happy :D

Arrived in Tralee on Friday night and we got a guesthouse right on the start line. Hooked up with JS and DS for a pre race chat. Lovely to meet DS (very shy Boardsie lurker ;) ) finally. DS and I had discussed targets for this race a lot over the last few weeks on Strava, and D had suggested to me that I should be in with a chance of a podium spot. I really wasn’t sure about that at all, as it depended totally on who turned up on the day. I knew that there was an accomplished female runner from Cornwall entered into the 12 hour but didn’t see a list with any of the other names. If had known the calibre of the women I was up against, there’s no way I would have expected a podium, let alone a win. I would have been happy with 4th woman. One woman has an hour on me over the marathon and 20 miles on me at 24 hours, and another has a 2015 record for 12 hour running on a treadmill, and then there was Cornwall woman who is a class runner.

I had no sleep Friday night. Being in a strange bed didn’t help matters. Had 1.5 croissants for breakfast which I could barely keep down. The nerves had set in, but like Belfast, they weren’t crippling. I do wish I could eat more on the morning of a race, but it’s just never going to happen as I can’t handle it.

I should be shot for this, but I was cutting my toenails the morning of the race! For an ex-DCM Mentor to do this, is well, just unforgivable! I hadn’t given them much thought as most had fallen off since Belfast, but the remaining ones had been neglected. Did a quick job on them and luckily they didn’t cause any issues during the race. Same outfit as for Belfast with larger size 7 shoes for the duration.

Crewing for me were JS and JD. JD had crewed for me in Belfast so it was invaluable to have him there again this time. They also took DS (eventual overall winner) under their wing for the duration of the 12 hours as he had no crew with him. This was the most awesome crew ever and I couldn’t have wished for any more. I had an experienced runner and physio who seemed to guess in advance exactly what I needed, and he suggested little things that helped me get the most out of myself, and I had JD, now an experienced crew member, who knew what worked the last time and what didn’t. Both guys gave complete 100% undivided attention to my every whim, and for that I am ever grateful. It helped me immensely. They also did a lot for DS throughout who also really appreciated their assistance. Laid out our table and chairs for crew and my supplies, a few loo visits, and we were off.

Hours 1-6 - Unlike Belfast, I really enjoyed the first half, and felt as comfortable as I obviously must have looked due to what people here and on the course were telling me. The stomach was good, the pace felt so easy (as it should) and I was holding back and enjoying it immensely. There was a lot of messing on the course in the early hours however, with folks jumping about the place and taking selfies and making it hard to pass on the narrow paths. I just don’t understand why people don’t conserve all energy possible, early on in very long races like this. I find that even chatting with fellow runners expends a bit of the energy which you’re going to need every ounce of later on. Maybe I’m the one missing out on all the fun but I guess I’m there solely to race and not for fun. I love chatting to other competitors before the race and after the race, but during the race, well, I just don’t get it. I remember trying to pass a group of women at one point who were taking over the full width of the path and I almost tripped on the uneven grassy area to the side. Some of the faster guys were just shouting ‘coming through to the left’ etc., but I didn’t want to appear too pushy so just ran around them. The paths were just so narrow that there should be a recommendation that people don’t run more than 2 abreast, but it was so narrow at some points that even 2 people was quite tricky to get around. Anyway, rant over, it’s human nature I guess to want to run and talk in groups.

So, for the first half at least, my stomach felt great, my legs felt great, and in my head I was in a good place. The weather forecast had been absolutely dreadful, but it didn’t turn out too bad. We did have some strong wind and rain in parts, but in the main, it was super. I actually got a bit sunburned! I was sweating a lot from the very start due to the humidity and my body was like a salt cellar by the end of the race but JS had warned me to expect this so we just dealt with it.

There was a lot of taking-over, and being overtaken in these first hours, and I was getting constant feedback from the crew on each lap. This was invaluable as I knew where I was placed at all times. I wish I had had this in Belfast as it would have given me more of a reason to fight when things got very tough, but my crew in Belfast were just so worried about getting my fuelling etc sorted, that they didn’t have time to be figuring out the placings etc. I was battling with a few people during these hours, but I was near the top of the race at all time. At 4hrs 16mins/33 laps in, I took the lead :D. Oh the pressure! But I was still very relaxed and running within myself and nothing felt like work yet. There was Cornwall woman behind me, and JS was keeping me informed about exactly how far behind she was. I couldn’t believe I had gained on her as she’s a really good runner, and like, wins stuff!!! However, on lap 41 at 5hrs 23 mins, she passed me:( . It wasn’t a good idea to go chasing her and get out of my comfort zone so early in the race, as that could be potentially detrimental to me later in the race. The crew told me she looked fast, but didn’t look like she could keep it up, and a few laps later, they told me she was fading a bit and her laps were getting slower. They told me not to worry, that I might just catch her. I tried to relax and still enjoy it, and not get too caught up in the racing bit. THEN, at 6 hours, the horn sounded for the end of the 6 hour race. I jogged on and then saw that OMFG Cornwall woman had stopped running! Someone asked her was she ok and she said she was stopping at 6 hours as she’d had enough. She looked completely distraught, the poor thing. (they went on to give her 1st prize for First Woman in 6 hour even though she hadn’t entered that race????…)

Hours 6-12 - So NOW, with Cornwall woman gone, it’s 6 hours in and I’m leading again! Mad stuff altogether. I think there were 2 men ahead at one stage but I must have caught one around here. So, great, now I can rest on my laurels for a bit I thought. But no. As I passed my crewing table, JS informed me that the next woman was only 2 laps behind. “But I need to pee”, I pleaded! “No” he says, “wait. Make a bit more time up and then you can pee all you want.” So I kept going and did another 3 laps I think (still very easy and controlled and relaxed, but with maybe a slight bit more effort than the first 6 hours) before JS told me that it was safe now to pee, as I made plenty of time on 2nd woman, so pee I did and it was a very pleasant pee indeed (it’s the little things in a 12 hour race that count ;) ). I did find that I was getting very thirsty after half way and was stopping at my table more frequently to take a sip of water. I didn’t want to have to carry the bottle as it was annoying me, but need to start doing this as I was losing lots of bits of time by stopping. I was taking one S-Cap per hour and sipping on water to-thirst. Maybe I need to take more S-Caps and I mightn’t feel as thirsty? I had a few slugs of flat coke at one point as the thirst was unbearable. It gave me a nice little buzz, but I think I paid for it later as my stomach reacted. Stupid stomach :(

Things got a bit ropey when the darkness set in and I lost focus a bit here and there. It came in waves. One minute I’d feel wonderful and speed past the startline with the supporters saying ‘jaysus, you’re speeding up!’ and the next hour I’d feel very sleepy and tired and sore and a bit fed up. I didn’t feel this kind of fatigue in Belfast. I also felt kind of ‘out of it’ and was swaying a bit at times when I was running. I noticed my stride getting a bit sloppy and my feet were dragging a bit and I was tripping the odd time. Then the walking bits creeped in at about 10 hours 30mins. I started walking up a portion of that bloody mountain of a hill that I had managed to jog up until then, for starters. My legs started feeling very fatigued. I think a lot of it could be residual fatigue from the 24 hour. Some people say that it can take months to really recover from running your first 100 miles, and I’m starting to believe now that this might be true. I’m just so happy that I had enough sense not to enter the 24 hour again so soon, as I feel that it would have led to a DNF today. The 12 hour was just about do-able and by far the better option for me.

My stomach started feeling a bit sick too after half way. It caused a lot less trouble than in Belfast where the problems started within the first couple of hours, and I had had to water down my fuelling completely. I was still able to take on my full quota of UCAN, but I had to slow down a lot when ingesting it and then slow again to let it settle, as the motion of running was causing it to get upset. At one point I actually puked a tiny bit but it wasn’t much. I just had to keep things SO slow to ensure I didn’t rock the “boat” too much. I got an horrific stitch also around 8 hours which just wouldn’t leave me, no matter how much I slowed down. I think it came on after I had taken on my fuelling. I’m all bruised on my right hand side from pressing on it to try and get rid of it. It left me after about 3 laps, and I was over the moon that I could run freely again.

The S-Caps were a brilliant replacement for the Nuun (thanks again boss for the tip!), as I think now that the Nuun were definitely adding to the stomach issues in Belfast. They were also making me pee a huge amount due to the amount of water I was diluting them in. I must have peed at least 50 times (not joking) in Belfast over the 24 hour period, whereas on Saturday, I peed 5 times over 12 hours. Delighted to have that sorted as I was taking wasting SO much time with loo trips in Belfast. TMI? Sorry!

The darkness in one side of the park was almost dangerous. They had these glo-sticks in various colours, which looked very pretty, but didn’t brighten up the paths at all. They did their best to have some car lights shining on portions of the paths etc., but all in all they need to sort this for next year, as it’ll put a lot of people off coming back. In a way I feel I shouldn’t complain about this though, as they did warn us that we might need to use headlamps, and I did bring one, but I just didn’t bother with it, as I’ve never used one before, and didn’t want to bring something new into the equation at that point.

There was also very little atmosphere compared to Belfast once darkness set in and this made things a lot more difficult and very challenging mentally. In Belfast we had this constant party atmosphere at one part of the course which really lifted the spirits on each lap (I’m looking at you - unforgettable Raheny cheering crew!), but in Tralee, the guy with the loudspeaker couldn’t see our numbers, so didn’t know who was passing the start line each lap, so there was very little/no commentary from maybe 8pm onwards and very few supporters out cheering as it was turning into a miserable night.

I met some super people and had little chats here and there, but tried not to get into deep conversations as it was taking up too much energy. There was very little selfie taking and very little chatter from the uber lively folks like earlier in the race as the night wore on. Save the energy folks I tells ya! – Just save it!!

I was leading the whole 12 hour race for a lap or maybe 2 at one point, but DS, passed me again and held the lead for the rest of the race. If you ever wanted to lose a race to someone, this is to the guy to lose it to –one of the absolutely nicest guys in the whole world! I had very little left to fight back with and more walking creeped in on the last hour. I was caught out however, as JS popped out from the bushes on the other side of the course, on a few occasions, with his daughter G, shouting at me to get running again - and I did. I think I was just getting lazy and losing focus at this point and I think going forward that I need to toughen up a bit, but feel this will come with more experience. When I did have to walk small portions however, I was walking really really quickly, and my jogging/plod was so slow at that point, I probably wasn’t even losing that much time by walking!

I felt SO happy when I knew there was only 4 laps to go. I knew now that I’d last the full 12 hours. If I had really been able to get my head fully back in the game, I could have possibly raced for first place, but I felt I had nothing left in me to give and I just wanted it to be over. I jogged a bit with DS (12 hr winner) who was really encouraging at this point and tried to keep me focused. On the last lap, who appears out from the bushes once again, only JS and G hollering at me to move my lazy ass, as if I wanted the 100k, I really needed to speed up as time was running out. I never thought of the 100k as being a ‘thing’ or a goal to be honest, but it sounded like a good goal to achieve and something to keep me focussed on. I need to remember to set lots of little mini-goals next year in Belfast, as they are invaluable in a very long race.

So, last lap and I’m happy but fit to die and I’m caught walking again by JS who reminded me of all those killer aerobic stride sessions I used to do and to just treat the last part of the race as one big long stride so I sped up as much as possible (trying to hold the puke back) and ran as fast as I could to achieve that 100k goal like my life depended on it. The horn sounded and I didn’t know if I had achived it or not, but as it turned out, I had achieved it, with change. That feeling of not having to run anymore was just something else! Indescribable! Anne J, who was running the 24 hour, stopped her race to give me a huge hug and then the poor thing had to jog on, knowning only half her race was run. I felt so sorry for her heading into another 12 hours, in that dark and lonely park. My crew congratulated me, hugs all round (whether they liked it or not ;) ), some photos were taken (which will NEVER see the light of day! You think you look bad at the end of a marathon folks, just try imagine what you look like at the end of a 12 or 24 hour!), and then there was a longish wait until the RD came to measure my distance for the last lap. My lips had gone blue and I was shivering uncontrollably with the cold but I was the happiest person on that course at that time!

Results:
    My lap splits look pretty good. Of everyone in the 12 hour I have the fastest slowest lap if you know what I mean, and I didn’t fade too badly, and the difference between my fastest and slowest laps was only 4-ish minutes. I finished 3 laps behind first place, and 6 laps ahead of 3rd place.
    Total laps – 83
    Total miles – 62.9
    Place – 1st Female & 2nd overall

This all bodes well for me, I hope. I’m competing against people who have been doing this a lot longer than I have and who are much faster at the shorter distances and have far better 100k times, and better 12 hour and 24hour distances. I’m only starting out with this long long stuff, and I know I have a hell of a lot more potential in me so I look forward to seeing what the future holds. I’ve definitely found my thing or ‘happy running place’ as Neady so eloquently put it. Trying to get me racing 5ks is like asking Usain Bolt to train for the marathon. It’s just not me. I’m not saying I won’t do any more shorter races, but I see little point in putting all my energies into something I’m inherently so bad at and don’t enjoy as much as the longer stuff. I know that to run a decent marathon I’ll have to go back to the 5k, but between now and Belfast 2017 at least, I want to stick with this as I just love it and I feel I’m made for it and loads of other people have said the same thing to me.

Deepest thanks and appreciation to the best crewing team anyone could hope for. I hope to be able to return the favour in some way in the future. I know it wasn’t an easy task with the darkness and the weather but not once did you guys falter in any way, and to G&O who were fantastic assistants – GO the girls!!! Btw, if anyone here ever needs help with crewing a long race like this one, please shout me and I’ll do my best to help you out as I know some runners find it very hard to find people who have the time to offer up their services, and it must be very difficult doing a race like this solo. I’ve been so lucky to-date with the help I’ve received and would like to pass it on at some stage.

I was in an absolute heap when I got back to the guesthouse, and had to somehow try and climb up 5 flights of stairs!!! I just lay on my bed not moving for 10 hours, but not sleeping either. My mind was totally wired but my body couldn’t move, but I was very happy! I didn’t have the energy to even open the prosecco and my stomach wasn’t up to it either:( All I had eaten all day was 2 croissants for breakfast before the race and then the Ucan and S-Caps (not really food!) but I couldn’t face a thing. I managed to eat a small banana, but that was it. I had a small cold before the race and slightly swollen tonsils and was amazed this didn’t develop into anything significant after the race and I was expecting to get a full-blow illness out of it.

I got up on Sunday morning feeling like a mini-bus had rolled over my legs, so that was a bit improvement on the artic-lorry which crashed into me in Belfast. I had a HUGE appetite and they rolled out trollies of food for me for breakfast. That filled me up, until I got to the Ashe Hotel where the prize giving was a few hours later. I ate all around me for lunch, and drank copious amounts of prosecco, and then enjoyed the little ceremony in a room in the hotel. I was delighted that the 2 Js, and O could make it, as it meant a lot to have them there.

I have now earned a medal that actually means something to me, and it’s really a great feeling which I can’t properly describe. To actually win and be the best there is on the day, in a sport which I loathed and never thought I’d achieve anything with, is one of the best feelings in the world. Sorry if I sound a tad dramatic, but it’s just a personal thing that finally makes me feel properly proud of myself.

So, what’s next? Nothing. I’m not thinking of any long races any time soon. The morning after Belfast, I was immediately searching for something else super long, and hit the jackpot when I found Tralee, but not this time. I woke up last Monday, feeling delighted that I don’t have any pressure on me right now. I’ll build back up the training in October, jog DCM (which fits in perfectly with my training and building back up the long run), enjoy hols in Berlin and Prague in Oct (but the runners will be coming so I can keep things ticking over -I’ve found a lovely loop in the Tiergarten :D) and then get serious about building the miles and long run over the winter.

All roads, paths, trails and hills, lead to Belfast 24 hour, 2017.

Some photos here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Not dramatic at all A. Unbelievable progression, the first overall race win can't be far off. Enjoy the holidays, well deserved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Epic stuff. Congrats again on the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Great report and an amazing achievement. Congratulations. I can't fathom how anyone could run for that length of time. You'll have to start calling yourself Osolong now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'm absolutely thrilled for you, it's palpable how much it meant to you and you've every right to be dramatic about it; it's a dramatic thing! Well done and congratulations and thanks for the report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Well done champ! You really looked exceptionally comfortable for those 4 hours I was able to witness myself.

There's a lot more to come where that came from.

Was looking forward to the report and it delivered in spades!
    So much detail and that opening paragraph really struck a chord as another reformed non-runner!

You have properly earned the praise you are getting. There's a few people I know that have attempted ultra running events like that and I don't think they pay the events the respect you do both in training approach (the volume constantly amazes me), race day both in prep and how you handle the race itself (I don't get the during the race selfie stuff, have seen people stop to take them at times....it's a bloody race!).

Anyways you only get what you give and credit to you on the win, more than earned...it was deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Brilliant report O and congrats on your maiden win may it be the first of many.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement