Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Be still my beating heart

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

great report Ososlo - congratulations on the first win!

Any miles since?

And are you tapering off the celebrations yet?(*) You need a bit of recovery before DCM....

(*) dives for cover

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I'm going to go with Osoawesome, it has a certain ring to it :D.

Congrats on the win and overall placing. Your resilience never fails to impress. Talk about finding your niche! Enjoy the R&R and the upcoming hols.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Fantastic! Great report too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Brilliant report and fantastic running. Delighted for you A. Your dedication & training has been amazing to watch. Enjoy the downtime. See you at DCM!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Tonnes of hard work, heaps of dedication , no shortage of guts and a pinch or two of obsession, well done A, another fantastic achievement that you should be very, very proud of

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

We're not worthy we're not worthy !!! I'm awe ! What an amazing race and report so sorry that the raheny crew couldn't be there to support you but we are dcm training or suppprtimg our raheny crew dcm training !!! We hope to be there to support you again. :) very well done on such a great achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Well done again - what a fantastic achievement . Your report transported me to Tralee - Felt like I was watching the race for a while !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Amazing report A, sounds like a lot of things went well and your crew were fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Not dramatic at all A. Unbelievable progression, the first overall race win can't be far off. Enjoy the holidays, well deserved!
    Cheers, WW! It is very heartening to see some progression alright! Makes it all worthwhile:D
    Great report and an amazing achievement. Congratulations. I can't fathom how anyone could run for that length of time. You'll have to start calling yourself Osolong now!
    It's really a case of breaking it down into chunks, so I worked with 2 hour chunks and then gave myself a little mental (not necessarily physical) break. You just can't start out thinking, OMG, I have 11 hours to go! I did start the countdown after half way though!! Thank you!
    tailgunner wrote: »
    Epic stuff. Congrats again on the win.
    Cheers TG and epic stuff yourself! Only the start for you!
    I'm absolutely thrilled for you, it's palpable how much it meant to you and you've every right to be dramatic about it; it's a dramatic thing! Well done and congratulations and thanks for the report.
    Thanks MA. It really does help, in the darkest hours, knowing that people here are willing you to do well. That helped me get through a lot of it.
    Well done champ! You really looked exceptionally comfortable for those 4 hours I was able to witness myself.

There's a lot more to come where that came from.
    Thomas, that means a lot coming from yourself. Thanks so much! I look forward to meeting again at future events!
    diego_b wrote: »
    Was looking forward to the report and it delivered in spades!
    So much detail and that opening paragraph really struck a chord as another reformed non-runner!

You have properly earned the praise you are getting. There's a few people I know that have attempted ultra running events like that and I don't think they pay the events the respect you do both in training approach (the volume constantly amazes me), race day both in prep and how you handle the race itself (I don't get the during the race selfie stuff, have seen people stop to take them at times....it's a bloody race!).

Anyways you only get what you give and credit to you on the win, more than earned...it was deserved.
    Ah, thanks so much D. Not preparing properly could lead to many many hours of unbearable torture ahead, and probably an early dropout, so it really does pay to have prepared properly in every way.
    Hope to meet up after DCM - properly this time!!
    jake1970 wrote: »
    Brilliant report O and congrats on your maiden win may it be the first of many.
    I have a good feeling about the future, and thanks so much Jake!
    great report Ososlo - congratulations on the first win!

Any miles since?

And are you tapering off the celebrations yet?(*) You need a bit of recovery before DCM....

(*) dives for cover
    haha:D I started the alcohol taper last night. It just can't continue as it is as it isn't helping recovery!!!! I think I'm done with it now:)
    I did 5 miles on Wednesday and 4 miles last night and all seems good apart from a tender left hamstring, but I'm fairly certain it's not an injury - just sore.
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    I'm going to go with Osoawesome, it has a certain ring to it :D.

Congrats on the win and overall placing. Your resilience never fails to impress. Talk about finding your niche! Enjoy the R&R and the upcoming hols.
    BG, I agree wholeheartedly about finding my niche and it's great to see that these events are getting more popular as there's good competition and more of these types of races arising. I'd say I'll go back to Tralee next year, if Belfast recovery goes as well as it did this year. Thanks again!
    chickey2 wrote: »
    Fantastic! Great report too!
    Cheers C! Hope you're feeling better!
    Younganne wrote: »
    Brilliant report and fantastic running. Delighted for you A. Your dedication & training has been amazing to watch. Enjoy the downtime. See you at DCM!
    Thanks Anne. Great to see the hard work paying off alright as it really makes it all worthwhile to see something at the end of it - a medal :D
    Duanington wrote: »
    Tonnes of hard work, heaps of dedication , no shortage of guts and a pinch or two of obsession, well done A, another fantastic achievement that you should be very, very proud of
    LOL to the obsession bit! Can't argue with that D:D Lovely post, thanks so much. Hope you're still on a high yourself as you should be!
    Mrs Mc wrote: »
    We're not worthy we're not worthy !!! I'm awe ! What an amazing race and report so sorry that the raheny crew couldn't be there to support you but we are dcm training or suppprtimg our raheny crew dcm training !!! We hope to be there to support you again. :) very well done on such a great achievement.
    I'm going to ask the RD to hire you guys out for next year. It's exactly what the event needs! Thanks A and good luck with the last few weeks!!!
    Bluesquare wrote: »
    Well done again - what a fantastic achievement . Your report transported me to Tralee - Felt like I was watching the race for a while !
    Thank you BS! And congrats yourself last weekend. Hope the recovery goes well and you're in a good position to give DCM a good shot.
    Singer wrote: »
    Amazing report A, sounds like a lot of things went well and your crew were fantastic!
    Yep, a good crew is half the battle, B. I'm really so fortunate to have people willing to give their time to me. Those crews in Tralee last week, all deserve medals. It was a horrible horrible night for them, but all remained in great spirits throughout. Major kudos to them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Fantastic result O, must be so proud, make sure you get nice big wall plaque
    as I have a feeling lots more medals to come, well worth the wait for run
    report .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Incredible going A. Massive congratulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Brilliant brilliant brilliant brilliant and so deserved. You bloody earned this. Thanks for the report, really enjoyed reading it and the glimpse into the sheer grit and determination required for these babies. Go you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Well done ososlo. I can't process what's involved with these endeavours, hard to imagine running for that long. Great to see your enthusiasm for what you're doing at the minute. Recover well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great report, A, and what a performance. (Walk-up 5th floor guest room though, whose idea was that? :p)

Very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Incredible report and achievement A, I'm bursting with pride, you showed true grit :) It's so obvious that you've found what makes you tick and you need to get a buzz from what you're doing if you want to stay motivated and keep up your training with such intensity. Stick with what you love, what makes you happy and what you're obviously good at :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

All has been said above - super achievement, one that will never be taken from you. Super report too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Sorry am a bit late to this party, is there any Prosecco left??!! Whoop Whoop A, what a race, and what a report. You're an inspiration and it's great that you've finally found your distance and you're taking such pleasure from both your training and your races. And as for first female? Couldn't happen to a more deserving runner. You work hard, you're gutsy and you listen to the advice of others who've gone before you.

Enjoy that medal and the celebrations. Hopefully catch you in McGrattans after DCM??

Monday September 19th
    7.8 miles @ 9:51

Taper madness in full fling. I woke up with a sore back (never have back issues) and a cold. I also had a sore spot on the front of my foot and felt like I was suffering from some kind of degenerative muscle wasting disease! Fretting about the weather started too.

Tuesday September 20th
    6 x 8 sec hill sprints

6.3 miles @ 9:57
    Went to my usual hill in the Phoenix Park. Back still a bit sore but otherwise all good and legs felt full of zip.

Wednesday September 21st
    Rest, and weather-worry.

Thursday September 22nd
    4.5 miles @ 9:53

Excitement setting in, and lots more fretting about the weather.

Friday September 23rd
    2.4 miles @ 10:27

Early one, before drive down to Kerry. Felt very good on this run and the mind was in a very good place and I was oozing confidence. Nerves set in alright that night, but like Belfast, they were not crippling like they would be for me for a short fast race.

Saturday September 24th

62.9 miles in 12 hours :D

Sunday September 25th
    Rest

Weekly total: 84.7miles

Monday September 26th
    Rest

Recovery coming along very nicely indeed. All fine except for sore/strained upper legs, mainly hamstrings (same as after Belfast). Stayed on the sofa most of the day and went for a short walk in the evening. Slow but fine.

Tuesday September 27th
    Rest

Walked about a lot more with no issues. Recovery is a different story altogether compared to after the 24. I actually feel better today than I did a week after my first marathon a few years ago.

Wednesday September 28th
    Recovery run

5.4 miles @ 11:29
    Testing the waters. Both hamstrings sore and tight. Right one eased out during the run, but left one a tad niggly still. No injury concerns - delighted!

Thursday September 29th
    Rest

Thought it a good idea to let things settle and give the hamstring extra chance to rest fully.

Friday September 30th
    4.1 miles @ 10:49

Left hamstring a lot better but still a tad sore, but didn’t bother me much when running. Definitely not an injury, just soreness. Otherwise all good.
    Sleep is terrible since the race. I drop off to sleep no problem, but I’m waking again within a few minutes, and then it’s a case of lying awake for hours and nodding off for a few minutes and then waking again in hot sweats with some very strange dreams. Very same as after Belfast and it lasted about 10 days then, so hopefully things will return to some kind of normality more quickly this time.

September Total: 267 miles

Saturday 1st October
    6.6 miles @ 10:30

Feel like a bit more pace is returning.

Sunday 2nd October
    3.5 miles @ 10:45

The plan today was for 10 miles if feeling good. The legs and body in general felt good. However, 3 miles into the run, I felt like fainting and a bit wobbly, so called it a day. Instead of getting depressed about it, I admitted to myself that I’m probably still very much in recovery mode, and to take full advantage of the fact that this is a recovery week, so headed home.

Weekly total: 19.8 miles

Monday 3rd October
    Took my prescribed rest day for the week.

Tuesday 4th October
    10 miles @ 9:48

Felt great. Definitely back in the groove.

Wednesday 5th October
    10 miles @ 9:45

As above. Full of energy and just bursting to get the legs moving after work.

Thursday 6th October
    7 miles @ 9:30

Threw caution to the wind and just went with the flow and did what my legs wanted to do, which was to run a bit faster than easy.

Friday 7th October
    7 miles @ 9:48

Another lovely run post work.

Saturday 8th October
    12 miles easy @ 9:51

Should have been 15, but a bit caught for time with a sh*t load of work that I have to re-do due to the incompetence of others, so a bit stressed and wrecked and neck very sore. Trying to build the long slow run back up for DCM, but not too worried about rushing it to be honest, as I know I can cover the distance, as I did just run 63 miles in one go, 2 weeks ago ;) so it shouldn't prove to be too much of a problem. I'll aim to do 16 or so next week, and 20ish the week prior to DCM.
    A night out on the town was cancelled this afternoon, and I have to say I delighted I didn't have to go out. I'd rather try to get the sleep back on track and to conserve lots of energy for my running for the coming days. What have I become? My former self would be shaking her head in disbelief.

Sunday 9th October
    am: 6 miles @ 9:40

Did the first few miles at easy effort and the last 2 with a bit more of a steady effort. Neck still very sore and very tired today. Sleep still very unsettled. I know my sleep is crap at the best of times, but this is a bit different. My mind is very restless and I'm not feeling my usual self. Just wish I could get a few hours of uninterrupted sleep.
    pm: 9 miles @ 9:38
    Popped out for a few miles to get away from my work and ended up staying out a lot longer than planned, as I was loving this so much. I ran the opposite way around my park to usual, which is something I normally find hard to do (ocd much?) This felt effortless and I felt like I was floating. Was tempted to stay out longer, but I had dark clothes on and no hi-viz so best safe than getting mown down etc...

Weekly Total: 61.5 miles

Happy now with that as a base from which to start building again. The recovery period is well and truly over. Will get back to my hills this week and introduce more doubles. The cooler temperatures are suiting me very well and I'm looking forward to a long cold winter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Very late catching up here but well done on your win. Fantastic running and so well deserved.

Firedance wrote: »
    Enjoy that medal and the celebrations. Hopefully catch you in McGrattans after DCM??

Oh yes you will :D Be great to finally meet you!

And thanks so much AM and everyone else for the lovely comments!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

What an awesome report! Brilliant! Bookmarking and will use as 'mandatory reading' on another thread soon! Congratulations once again.

nop98 wrote: »
    What an awesome report! Brilliant! Bookmarking and will use as 'mandatory reading' on another thread soon! Congratulations once again.

Thanks, Nop! Can't believe you had time to read it! Stellar job with the Novices this year! Really impressive work! Not long to go now until you get your life back :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Really, really well done, and well deserved! Just reading about your win now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Cool log Ososlo. A long way from humble beginnings you have traveled and something tells me you are only starting. Keep it up!

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Ososlo wrote: »
    The cooler temperatures are suiting me very well and I'm looking forward to a long cold winter :D

I was out running in the nice crisp weather this evening, crunching my way through the dry leaves :) I thought A must be loving this weather :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

There was a week there where I did more mileage than Ososlo! :D

Are you still aiming for DCM Ososlo? Hope there has been some tapering if so :). Good luck for it and even though it's just a training run in your case should be a PB all the same I would think.

Are you still aiming for DCM Ososlo?

Hey hsr! Not 100% sure yet and my answer has changed about 55 times in the last 24 hours. To be honest, I think it might be a step too far as I've had some rubbish runs in the last 2 weeks (more bad ones than good ones), so probably not recovered from the 12 hour yet. Getting some bloods checked during the week and taking a week off running whilst on hols.
    Will make the final call later but not gonna worry about it either way. It was only ever going to be a slow training run if fully recovered from Tralee and I'm clearly not.

Can't wait to see how everyone does! Go the Boardsies!!!!

Hey hsr! Not 100% sure yet and my answer has changed about 55 times in the last 24 hours. To be honest, I think it might be a step too far as I've had some rubbish runs in the last 2 weeks (more bad ones than good ones), so probably not recovered from the 12 hour yet. Getting some bloods checked during the week and taking a week off running whilst on hols.
    Will make the final call later but not gonna worry about it either way. It was only ever going to be a slow training run if fully recovered from Tralee and I'm clearly not.

Ah, sorry to hear about that. Does not exactly sound like you're recovered, maybe you could support instead of run (and swing by McGrattans at the end)... even at easy pace 26.2 is not exactly a recovery run ...

Now, where were we... this is gonna be long.

Monday October 10
    8 miles easy @ 9:58
    Was due a rest day and today was to be that day, but a new pair of shoes arrived so they had to be tested, of course. They're an old version of my current Mizuno shoe and I got them from SportsDirect for 28 euro including postage. Unbelievable. I can now get 3 pairs of shoes for what I was spending on one new pair from the running shop. I feel a bit foolish to only come to the realization at this stage of how much cheaper it is to buy shoes online.

Tuesday October 11
    am: 7 miles @ 10:15
    Woke up with a head cold. I slept brilliantly the night before which is usually a sign for me that something ain't right! It was the first night in 18 nights that I've had a good solid 7 hours without waking regularly. I was still exhausted on rising and really wanted to go back to bed but had loads of work to do from home. Should have taken the morning off, but as per usual I HAD to run. Felt ok, but slower than usual. RHR up about 5 beats
    pm: 7 miles easy @ 9:51
    Felt a bit better on the evening run but kept things very easy. When I don't feel 100%, I usually run anyway. It might be better to rest completely but I don't feel it's doing me any harm to run.

Wednesday October 12
    12 miles @ 9:45
    Felt like shight starting out but within a few miles, I felt really good. There were 3 very well known runners running loops in the opposite (wrong) direction around my park and I was a little bit starstruck! I think they were doing a track session in Morton and were doing their warm up in my park. It's great to watch them run - a different species altogether to the rest of us mere mortals. They glide, they don't run. It all seems so effortless. Stayed out for a bit longer than usual as I was enjoying it so much and had an extra little pep in my step.

Thursday October 13
    Nothing

Friday October 14
    10.3 miles @ 9:48
    Bit of a round about trip to pick up the car. Head cold a lot better today.

Saturday October 15
    7 miles @ 9:58
    Feeling a bit tired today with head cold, and it showed in the pace. Decided to drop the double today.

Sunday October 16
    14 miles @ 9:41
    A bit of a weird one. Felt good aerobically and legs felt good and it all felt very easy, however about half way in I just got a bit fed up mentally. Hard to explain. Just wanted to stop. Didn't feel particularly tired and nothing wrong with me as such, just drained mentally. Not going to dwell on it but will keep an eye on it. I guess I need to realize that I might not be as recovered from the 12 hour as I thought I was at this point. Yeah, I should take a few days off probably, but sometimes the addiction is greater than common sense...
    I had to keep things very easy this week with the head cold so dropped the hills and progression runs that I had planned to do. The heart rate was kept very easy for everything. Hopefully I can step things up a bit more next week.

Weekly total: 65.5 miles

Monday October 17
    am: 6.6 miles @ 10:06
    Felt a bit shight. Hard to put my finger on why, as I’m over the head-cold and nothing in particular wrong with me, but head just not in the game and not much energy, or maybe my head was not in the game, due to the lack of energy. Who knows.
    pm: 8.5 miles of fartlek @ 9:34
    As I was feeling so fed up, I decided to mix things up a bit a few miles into this as I was just not enjoying it. Again, felt perfectly healthy and fine and legs felt good, but as above, just struggling a bit. Did enjoy moving a bit faster and this little session made me realize that I miss faster running, so the boss might incorporate some speedier stuff into my programme.

Tuesday October 18
    6 miles @ 10
    Blah…. That’s all I can say. There’s something wrong with me and I’m just not sure what. The worst thing possible in relation to my running has happened – it feels like a chore and that’s new to me. I never want it to feel like work, but it does. If I’m very honest, I’ve felt like this on a lot of runs recently but was afraid to admit it to myself. Time to ‘fess up to myself and to my coach. We talked things through and he’s been brilliant with suggestions about why I’m feeling this way, and what we can do to fix it, and we have come up with a superb plan – THE NON-PLAN! The non-plan involves scaling back and relaxing and getting the love back. I’ve been too focused since Tralee with building back up. Even though the legs & co have felt fantastic and generally, I felt back to normal a week after Tralee, mentally, I’m just not recovered but I’ve been fooling myself into thinking I am. I’m not ready to build back up. I’ve had basically a year of very focused training with just one week off after Belfast where I wasn’t stressing about running and building and racing. It wasn’t long enough for me. I hate admitting that to myself but it is what it is. Same with Tralee. I had one easy week and then started stressing again about building and increasing mileage etc. Again, it wasn’t enough time for me if I'm being totally honest with myself. I got to 60 mile weeks, and was then stressing about hitting 70 and worried about how I was going to manage to hit 80 etc etc etc. Belfast is an awful long way away and I can’t keep up that level of stress this early on so time to reeeeelaaaaaax……….The only person putting pressure on me, is me.

Wednesday October 19
    Rest and deep breaths

Thursday October 20
    6 miles easy @ 9:42
    Normally I would have run 10 or 12 miles tonight. I went out tonight, not knowing or caring what I’d do. I did one loop out the estate and around by Ballymun and Santry and back to the estate. Felt great and was genuinely enjoying it, so I did a second loop. I actually would have liked to do a third one, but held back. I want to be gagging for it the next time I run, whether that be tonight or tomorrow or the next day. I’m not going to make a plan. It's amazing how a little chat about how I'm feeling and a bit of self analysis and the removal of any kind of pressure, made me feel a lot better. I think I was digging myself into a bit of a hole, but luckily I recognized that and managed to pull myself out, with a bit of help, before I was completely consumed and dragged under. Was also advised not to do DCM as nothing good could come out of it and not to take my runners on holidays and to have a complete running break. Stayed on the fence about that advice for a bit...

Friday October 21
    8.7 miles @ 9:45

Saturday October 22
    7 miles @ 9:56

Sunday October 23
    13 miles @ 10:14

Weekly total 56 miles

Monday October 24
    5 x 8 sec hill blasts
    Had access to a nice steep hill near the folks' place so took advantage. I couldn't do much mileage around it as the dog kept escaping and following me and he has no road sense, so I just did about 20 loops of the top field behind the house to warm up and cool down.

Tuesday October 25
    12 miles @ 9:56

Wednesday October 26
    6 miles @ 10:06 with strides

Thursday October 27
    10 miles @ 9:47

Friday October 28
    5.6 miles @ 10:05
    Picked up my DCM number not knowing if I'd be doing it or not on the Sunday.

Saturday October 29
    6 miles @ 10:20
    Made the decision after this run to pull the plug on DCM. I just wasn't feeling it. I had a gut feeling that I wasn't mentally up to such a long run and physically, I just wasn't sure about it at all. I considered doing an AMK on it and entering the course a few miles in, but I didn't want to be stranded somewhere on the Southside if it wasn't working out and having to make my way home. It would have been a bit of a pointless exercise. Don't regret the decision now for one second. The only regret I have is that I wasted an entry that someone else would have gladly snapped up.

Sunday October 30
    10 miles @ 9:55

Weekly total: 53.8 miles

Monday 31 October
    am: 6 miles @ 10:13
    As slowly as I could, but trying to frontload the week in case I didn't bring the runners on hols... There I go again, putting undue pressure on myslef:rolleyes:.
    pm: 8.2 miles @ 8:34
    A weird one on Halloween night. The minute I started running I felt great. With every step I felt even better, so just went with it. I'm supposed to be just running for fun at the moment, and boy was this fun! I was running short half mile loops around the estate and it was a perfect night. Everything felt effortless so I just went with it.

10:01 9:22 8:48 8:25 8:06 8:04 8:04 7:50 8:21(.2)

Got within 15 seconds of my 10k pb during the run, and the fastest bit was only 44 seconds slower than my 5k pb. Delighted with that as it felt like half marathon or marathon effort, not anything as hard as 5 or 10k effort and I could have kept it up but had done quite a bit for the day already. Still dunno where that run came out of and hopefully it wasn't just a fluke.

14.2 miles daily total

Tuesday 1 November
    am: 6 miles recovery @ 9:55
    Felt great
    pm: 4 miles @ 9:45
    Really enjoying this until a young fella dressed as a clown jumped out from behind the bus stop in Ballymun, and had a bat or something in his hand and made a gesture like he was gonna hit me with it. Was so scared, so just jogged home.

Wednesday 2 November
    Went for blood tests to get stuff checked and fully intended to get a run in before my flight, but my arm was still pumping blood when I got home and I felt a bit faint so that wouldn't have ended well! She wrecked my fecking arm and I still have a scar from it!

I described some stuff to the doctor about how I'd been feeling lately (amazed she didn't give out to me about the 12 and 24 hour races! I had to change doctors recently, as the last guy just couldn't handle the fact that I was doing these races) and she told me to start taking iron tablets immediately, even before the results came back. She's almost sure my levels will be low. Will be interesting to see...

Wednesday 2 November - Wednesday 9 November inclusive
    Hols.
    Did the runners come with me? No!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Hope you had a nice restful holiday! :-)

That's the first story I've heard from a real person about a scary clown episode.

Since he jumped out from behind a bus stop, reminds me of that phrase from the Inbetweeners. " Bus Wan*er!"

8 days with no running whilst on holidays!!! I found the first few days quite tough, but once I got into a daily routine of excessive drinking, which kicked off with a glass of prosecco most lunchtimes and ended with some kind local tipple, I was A-OK!

Thursday November 10
    7 miles easy @ 9:39
    First run back. Felt great and delighted to be returning to some kind of normality. Couldn’t keep up that unhealthy living for much longer. I’d say I only drank in total, one litre of water in the 8 days while away.

Friday November 11
    am: 6 miles @ 9:52
    Ah Jaysus – poor old Leonard checked out of the building this morning. A very sad day:(.
    pm: 6.7 @ 9:27
    Only back 2 days and acting stupidly once again. Why oh why did I feel I had to do a double today after a week of no running. If anyone else asked my advice about what to do today, the last thing I’d have advised them to do would have been a double.

Saturday November 12
    4.5 miles recovery @ 10:22
    And as expected (and rightly deserved), I woke up with really bad muscle soreness, mainly in quads and hamstrings. Fcuking idiot for doing too much too soon.

Sunday November 13
    10 miles @ 9:58
    Left leg still a bit sore, but everything else tickety-boo. It eased out within a few miles but I kept things super easy so as not to aggravate anything. 10 loops of local park.

Weekly total: 34.3 miles (over 4 days)

Monday November 14
    Rest
    Took the day off to let everything settle and try to gain some much needed perspective once again!

Tuesday November 15
    10 miles easy @ 9:53
    Got my blood tests back from doc. Everything was perfect. So iron is not low, despite being a female, vegetarian, ultra-runner. My B12 is so good the numbers are off the charts, (anyone who says you have to eat meat and fish to get to get all your dietary requirements and be a strong healthy runner, is speaking balderdash) and all the other stuff like thyroid, liver function, cholesterol, Vit D are as good as they possibly could be. I have some female issues which I spoke about before in my log relating to Athletic Amenorrhea which in itself isn’t really harmful, but I need to keep an eye on some things. A simple way to get rid of it is to stop training (things always settle down when I’m on a running break), but I’m not going to do that - obviously. As I said and as the doctor relayed to me, it’s not really a problem but we’ll keep an eye on it. This doctor is so cool. She completely understands me and my running and doesn’t preach at all. She appreciates the lifestyle choices I’ve made and just wants me to get the most out of myself, whilst feeling the best I possibly can.

So the iron etc is all fine, so why was I feeling so shight before the hols then? A touch of overtraining perhaps? Some residual fatigue from the 12 and 24 hour races? Mental fatigue? I dunno really, but maybe a touch of all of the above. I feel a lot better now knowing there is nothing physically wrong with me. I just need to relax a bit more in my approach to training and not increase anything too quickly, so back to the old cliché of listening closely to the body, more than ever!

Wednesday November 16
    6 miles easy @ 10:20
    My coach is encouraging me to do all my runs starting with a super slow first few miles, with the first mile to be like walking pace so I tried this tonight for the first time. I didn’t look at the watch and expected it to be even slower, but it came out at 11.34. Eased into the run then very slowly and finished at 9:40ish pace which felt like easy pace.

Thursday November 17
    8 miles @ 9:43
    A bit of a mixed bag. First mile slow again at 11:06 and I really couldn’t go any slower as it was bitterly cold and I really needed to warm up. 3 miles in and I still hadn’t warmed up so threw in a few miles with a bit of pace with the sole purpose being, just to feel a bit warmer. Nothing too taxing but it did the trick.

Friday November 18
    4 miles @ 10:24 easy

Saturday November 19
    am: 6.5 miles @ 10:08 w 6x20 sec strides
    Just barely missed a few Boardsies who were doing XC in my park this morning. Most of the runners were gone by the time I got to the park. Thanks for not messing up the place too much folks. I like to keep it nice :D
    pm: 4.3 miles @ 10:04
    Threw in a faster mile towards the end at about 8:15 pace.

Sunday November 20
    12 miles easy @ 9:57
    12 laps of local park. Nice run. Slippery in parts to start with so took things super easy.
    Saw World Ranking Ultra Marathon 24 Hour table today, and I’m the 205th best female 24 hour runner in the world out of 947 female runners :D. Lots of room for improvement:D
    Went to see this this evening. One word - cool :cool: If you're a fan of Iggy and the Stooges, it's a must see.

51 miles weekly total (50 was my quota)

Monday November 21
    am: 6 miles easy @ 10 pace
    Watch fcuked up on me so no exact stats for the run. A lap of my local park, then down through Santry, up by DCU, down into Albo College Park for a few laps and finished on Home Farm Road.
    pm: 8 miles easy @ 9:48
    Same issue with watch. When I got home, I did a hard reset on watch and deleted history and updated software on Mac.
    Felt great on this run.

Tuesday November 22
    am: 8.2 miles @ 9:40
    Lovely effortless run
    pm: 6 miles @ 9:44
    Another run where I had oodles of energy and was bouncing along.

Wednesday November 23
    8.5 miles @ 10:06 – 6 x strides and 5 x 8 sec hill sprints
    A bit tired for the first few miles. Maybe it was the 2 doubles already this week that had me a bit fatigued, but breathing was a bit laboured. Felt good on the hill sprints and a lot more sprightly on the few miles after the hill sprints. The Phoenix Park was looking splendid today.

Thursday November 24
    8 miles easy @ 9:52
    A weird one. Felt very tired for the first 2 miles, and took my jacket off then and the rest of the run was lovely and fluid and 9:30ish min/miles felt like recovery pace. Completely effortless.

Friday November 25
    Rest

Saturday November 26
    15 mile LSR @ 9:33
    Again, felt effortless, like Thursday's run. Could have kept going but trying to be sensible with the build-up this time. Started at 10 pace and by the end, 9 pace felt easy with no extra effort. When I feel this good, I feel I can run forever. Experience however, has taught me that 'forever' in 2016 only meant for 23 hours:rolleyes:

Sunday November 27
    Rest
    So, 2 days of rest this week! I had reached my weekly quote of miles already, so decided to be extra conservative and sensible, and not bother running at all today.
    Weekly total: 60 miles

Monday November 28
    am: 8 miles easy @ 9:43
    Around the Ring Road in Kilkenny. A beautiful morning, and a wonderful run. Again, it felt like walking effort.

pm: 3 miles easy@ 9:42
    Had to drop someone to a funeral, so just took advantage of the waiting about time and had a short little trot around Kilkenny City. I’ve never run through High Street before, so this was a bit of a novelty. Super cold crisp night.

Tuesday November 29
    12 miles easy @ 9:33
    Another great run with minimal effort and that lovely gliding feeling throughout. I’ve had quite a few runs over the last while with a much faster easy pace/effort than normal, so I really feel I’m out of the rut I was in and can genuinely say that I feel I am recovered from my summer of craziness and making some real progress :D
    Should be good for a 70ish mile week this week with a long run of about 18, but I won't force anything if I start feeling tired or anything.

All the usual AIS etc done religiously before each run and the body and mind are feeling 101%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

a few Boardsies who were doing XC in my park this morning. Most of the runners were gone by the time I got to the park. Thanks for not messing up the place too much folks. I like to keep it nice :D

Thanks for lending us your park! It's one of my favourite venues for XC.

Saw World Ranking Ultra Marathon 24 Hour table today, and I’m the 205th best female 24 hour runner in the world out of 947 female runners :D. Lots of room for improvement:D

That's an awesome statistic. And in your first 24 hour event too. You'll be heading up that table in no time!

Thanks for lending us your park! It's one of my favourite venues for XC.

Glad you enjoyed running there! I wish I had known beforehand that it was on as I definitely would have gone to cheer you on. I'll have to keep myself better informed about when these xc events are held there. It seemed to be perfect conditions for it, but probably not mucky enough for you, but good for the condition of my park in the aftermath:D

That's an awesome statistic. And in your first 24 hour event too. You'll be heading up that table in no time!

haha, thanks! Since time of writing, I've dropped to 215th as the Asian Champs were on at the weekend, but still 215 out of 1021 ain't so bad really for a first go. Not so sure about heading up the table:D but I'd definitely hope to make some substantial gains next year!

Wednesday November 30th
    8 miles easy @ 9:31

Freezing cold night. This was lots of little half mile loops around my favourite night time loop in the estate. I don't have to stop for cars or traffic lights or dogs or pedestrians, so it's perfect. I ran it a bit too fast but it felt lovely and fluid and easy so just went with the flow.

Monthly total: 187 miles
    Lowest month of the year due to the 8 days off and the easing back in after the hols.

Thursday December 1st
    7 x 8 sec hill blasts off 3 mins walk rec

Day off work, so perfect opportunity to get to the Phoneix Park mid-week and head to my chosen hill for these. It's perfect, as it's generally quiet and it's nice and steep so I really have to get up on my toes. Really enjoyable and perfect day for it.
    9 miles total @ 10:12

Friday December 2nd
    Took today off as still trying to stick to a day off per week. Was pretty tired anyway so didn't mind at all after a long day at work.

Saturday December 3rd
    am: 6 mile progression run and 3 mile c/d

Feeling good this morning after the day off so decided to do a little progression run, but didn't want to go too hard as I had my long run the next day so got to a good hard tempo effort towards the end.
    10:14 9:46 9:25 9 8:37 8:14
    c/d 9:26 9:31 9:40
    9 miles total @ 9:19

pm: 5 mile recovery @ 10:19

Probably not a great idea to go out again today, with the long run looming the next day, but I kept it super easy. Legs felt great after morning's efforts.

Sunday December 4th
    16 miles LSR @ 9:45

Perfect morning for it. 16 laps of local park. Started out at 10:40 pace and ended up at 9:16 pace. First few laps I felt very sluggish but felt better as the run went on. Overall pace a bit slower than recent long runs, but the harder run yesterday is probably the reason for that. I stopped briefly to chat to a nice old man with a nice old dog about half way through. He's 80 if he's a day. I've seen him walking with his wife before on loads of occasions but more often than not, he's on his own. He stopped me again on the next loop to chat again, which was a bit of a pain, but I was too polite to ignore him. He asked me my name and shook hands and says he loves seeing me running. Then he asked me did I want his mobile number! WTF like! Why would I want his mobile number! I just laughed it off and said I had nothing on me (meaning no pen or paper). He then made a lewd joke about me 'having nothing on me'. Not sure how to handle him the next time I see him, which is a few times a week on my local runs. He always walks the opposite direction to the way I run, so maybe I'll start running the same way as him and just say hi as I pass him from behind, instead of him seeing me coming towards him where he has an opportunity to beckon me to stop. Totes awks. Don't wanna have to stop running there or dread running there.

Weekly total: 70 miles
    Very pleased with that week and how I'm feeling. Nothing felt like a struggle and things are just kind of evolving naturally. I'd love to hit a 100 mile week before xmas (first time ever) but won't force it if not up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Ya can't judge a book by its cover, I'm sorry but that made me laugh, think
    change of direction could work all right and don't worry about not being polite
    he doesn't deserve politeness.

You have two options;

1) every time you meet him kick the dog.

2) tell his wife.

Either of the above will result in him changing the location of his "walk"

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭HS3

You sure encounter a lot on your runs! As for the old man, just keep using your route. He knows right well he was pushing it. No reason for you to feel you need to change routes, you've done nothing wrong. Unless he threatened you or made you feel genuinely worried for your safety just cruise on passed him next time.

Monday December 5th
    am: 4.2 miles recovery @ 10:22
    Took all the advice above on board, and decided that I’m not going to change my routine, as why should I when I’ve done nothing wrong and sure he’s only an auld codger trying his luck and I in no way feel threatened by him, so went all guns blazing into the park, ready to just whizz by him (well hardly whizz at over 10 min/miles ) and just say a quick hello as I passed. So I got to the park, and who’s the first person I see in the distance, only Auld Man Don Juan and his dog, so I do an about turn, and leave the park and do my run on the surrounding roads. Haha I’m pathetic and just can’t handle awkward situations! Avoidance is my only way of handling the situation at the moment. Thanks though for the suggestions above! I'll try and grow a pair!
    pm: 7.5 miles easy @ 10:06
    Back in the park and trying to catch the last vestiges of light. Lots of lovely loops. Most enjoyable.

Tuesday December 6th
    am: 7 miles easy @ 9:57
    Hit 3,000 miles for the year at the start of this run for the first time in my running life. When I hit these milestones, I always think about how far I’m come (literally also this year) and get excited about all the wonderful years of running ahead, and how my life has changed since I ‘saw the light’ and how I am so lucky to be able to do so much of what I love to do. Running has improved absolutely every single aspect of my life.
    I did this run as the usual loops of my local park, but went out an hour earlier so as to avoid Auld Man Don Juan again. No harm for me to get my lazy ass out a bit earlier on double days so I can do the second run while it’s still bright, leaving a decent gap in between runs.
    pm: 6.2 miles @ 9:49
    Mainly easy but turned it up a notch towards the end.

Wednesday December 7th
    8 x 8 second hill blasts off 3 mins walk recovery
    Delighted to be doing these consistently now and on a decent steep hill in the Phoenix Park, so I’ll try to stick to this routine weekly. I leave the watch on during the 3 min walk recoveries, so the overall pace is a lot slower than what it might be. Wasn’t full of energy for the warm up but on the cooldown after the hill reps, I felt great and was zipping up Chesterfield without a bother. Felt lovely and light on my feet during the hill reps and really enjoyed them.
    10.3 miles total @ 10:17

Thursday 8th December
    6 mile progression run
    Feeling great last night so just went with the flow and a great night it was out there too, with very little breeze and back to shorts and teeshirts! Started out nice and slowly and just let the pace increase naturally, without stressing myself. Just wanted to finish up at a nice hard effort, but kept the form relaxed throughout and I felt lovely and light on my feet. It's great feeling now that sub 8 min/miles are not such a huge deal for me anymore. Believe me, I do have to work for them, but I'm not on my knees after them like I used to be:D
    8 miles total @ 9:05

10:31 9:31 9:02 8:36 7:57 7:37 c/d-9:43 9:41

Will take today off as have a bit of a thing on after work but hopefully will feel ok to do a double tomorrow and a long run Sunday.

• Advertisement

Well done on the big milestone. Serious mileage ;)

Exactly wrote: »
    Well done on the big milestone. Serious mileage ;)
    Thank you kindly, sir, and hope all is good with you ;)

Friday 9th December
    Rest as planned.

Saturday 10th December
    am: 8 miles easy @ 9:51

8 laps of local park. Feeling really good despite hangover.
    pm: 6 miles @ 9:50
    Pace a bit slower than it felt. Felt really good, but hangover and lack of sleep the previous night having an impact perhaps.

Sunday 11th December
    18 miles @ 9:43

10 laps of local park and then went on a round-about voyage to collect the long neglected car from Friday. Definitely feeling a bit tired this morning, despite a decent sleep last night and expected pace to be well up in the 10 min/miles, but was surprisingly a good bit quicker for a very easy effort. Got very thirsty on this run, but besides that, all was good. Nice strong finish, but was happy to be done.

75.4 miles weekly total Hope to take it up a good notch next week.
    Big day tomorrow.

Big day tomorrow.

Ah, don't do that, tell us Ososlo! Good luck with whatever it is anyway.

Was thinking it couldn't be a session after 18miles today ... but I guess also a possibility with Ultra training ...

3,000 miles in less than a year :eek: No wonder you're bringing home silverware. It sounds like you've found the joy in running again after a very mini and well deserved break :)

p.s. I'd have done the same with the old geezer, gone out all guns blazing and run off in the other direction :D

Ah, don't do that, tell us Ososlo! Good luck with whatever it is anyway.

Was thinking it couldn't be a session after 18miles today ... but I guess also a possibility with Ultra training ...

"REGISTRATION FOR THE 2017 ENERGIA 24 OPEN RACE WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR ENTRY FROM MONDAY, DECEMBER 12 AT 1800 GMT. THERE WILL BE 100 PLACES."

I reckon it's that. Though you never know, she might knock out a handy 30 miles around Santry :)

• Advertisement

Singer wrote: »
    "REGISTRATION FOR THE 2017 ENERGIA 24 OPEN RACE WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR ENTRY FROM MONDAY, DECEMBER 12 AT 1800 GMT. THERE WILL BE 100 PLACES."

I reckon it's that. Though you never know, she might knock out a handy 30 miles around Santry :)

haha. Inspector Clouseau above is indeed right. This race is my ONLY goal for 2017 so if I didn't get in, I would have been very sad:(! SO HAPPY:D:D:D Running in the open race alongside the World 24 Hour Championships next July with the world's best 24 hour runners!!!YAY!!! SO HAPPY:D:D:D

haha. Inspector Clouseau above is indeed right. This race is my ONLY goal for 2017 so if I didn't get in, I would have been very sad:(! SO HAPPY:D:D:D Running in the open race alongside the World 24 Hour Championships next July with the world's best 24 hour runners!!!YAY!!! SO HAPPY:D:D:D

Niiice!

Niiice!

thanks! 6pm to 6.04pm were the most stressful minutes of my life:eek:

thanks! 6pm to 6.04pm were the most stressful minutes of my life:eek:

Ah now, I'd say you had an elite entry;)

Delighted for ya. When does the training start? ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement