Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Be still my beating heart

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

The more I run, the less time I seem to have to write about it!

Monday January 23rd
    Rest

Tuesday January 24th
    am: 5 x 8 sec hill sprints
    The dead squashed rat which was there last week, has gone from the base of my hill in the Phonenix Park. Yay! Feeling full of zip this lunchtime despite having driven from Kilkenny that morning and no having the opportunity to do my usual pre-run AIS. Unlike last Tuesday, I had endless energy on the warm up, sprints, and cool down. Just lovely
    10.7 miles total @ 9:44

pm: 7 miles @ 9:24
    Feeling better than ever today.

Wednesday January 25th
    10 miles easy @ 9:38
    A million laps of my night time loop. #nevergetsboring

Thursday January 26th
    10.2 miles @ 9:45

Friday January 27th
    10 miles @ 9:46

Saturday January 28th
    am: 13 miles @ 10:05
    Nice chat with AMK in the Park and met the lovely Maisey!
    pm: 7 miles @ 9:37

Sunday January 29th
    am: 8 miles @ 10
    pm: 5.2 miles @ 9:41

Weekly total: 81.5 (can’t believe I’m calling that a step-back week!)

Monday January 30th
    am: 9 miles @ 10:04
    pm: 9.2 miles @ 9:39
    Came eye to eye with the most beautiful fox on my night time loop. I stopped in my tracks and we just stood there for a while staring at each other. He scurried off when he got bored. I was clearly more fascinated with him than vice versa!

Tuesday January 31st
    8.3 miles @ 10:04
    Felt horrific! Every step was a struggle! Should have been longer, and should have done a double today but was really flogging a dead horse this morning. Have a bit of a cough, so maybe a bit below par, however rhr was really low this morning and don’t feel sick. Decided to take the evening off. See, I can be sensible!

January total: 397 miles (highest ever)

Wednesday February 1st
    am: 6 x 8 sec hill sprints
    Feeling back to normal this morning. Had a lovely fast, hour long walk with my sister in Marley in the morning, followed by an epic veggie breakfast in a lovely café there and then headed to the Phoenix Park for my little session around lunchtime. Felt good on the warm up, felt a nice spring in my legs for the sprints and extended it a bit at the end as I was enjoying the park so much.
    11.4 miles @ 9:45

pm: 7.6 miles easy @ 9:35
    Less than 4 hours between runs, (think I got away with it ;-) ), but legs really wanted to take off this evening. Was a struggle to keep the pace contained! Not a bad complaint, eh!

Thursday 2nd February
    Rest

Got home from work and was getting into the running gear, when I realised that it was a rest day on my plan. A bit disappointed but what ya gonnna do... 

Friday 3rd February
    5 hour LSR

As I had to babysit on Saturday evening, and couldn't do this Sunday due to other commitments, I had to take leave from work to do this today. In a way, it wasn't completely sensible to do this today as I'd done the hill sprints on Wednesday, but said nothing and decided to take the chance. Initially planned to do this at 24hour starting pace (10:15-20 min/mile).
    Was raining consistently all morning. Parked up by the football pitches in the Phoenix Park so that the car was handy to pick up my drinks etc and proceeded to do laps of the pitches. The rain got heavier as I started running and I stupidly hadn't got my rain jacket on. After about an hour I was completely soaked through and put my jacket on over the soaking wet top. Turns out my jacket isn't really waterproof anyway so while it was another layer of clothing, it really didn't do much if anything to keep me warm or dry. My hands were frozen and I had to change my gloves 4 times as they were sopping wet with rain. Despite all of that, I enjoyed the run immensely and was full of beans today! I couldn't really take on my full quote of fluid (Tailwind) as my hands were too cold to hold the bottle but that didn't bother me at all as I had endless amounts of energy and the only problem was keeping the pace down. I couldn't really keep to the 24hour planned pace as it was a bit too cold to plod that slowly. Did 19 laps and really felt I had lots more left in the legs at the end of the run. Sped up a bit for the last few miles as it was getting very dark and I felt a little bit unsafe, as I could easily have been dragged into the bushes and never heard from again; it was very dark and very quiet and that could have been the end of Ososlo  :( 
    Thrilled with that run and how easy it felt and love that loop for the long runs so might start doing the odd one here for a bit of diversity (plus the neighbours in Santry are realy starting to wonder about me out running around in circles, for hours on end, day after day, and it's getting a tad embarrassing!)Was frozen to the bone when I got home and got the life slowly back into the body with an hour long soak in the bath. Bliss.
    30.5 miles @ 9:50

Saturday 4th February
    am: 9 miles recovery @ 9:54

Well, I've never had chafing there before:eek:!!!! 
    The legs felt so good though, I felt like I'd had a rest day the previous day! 
    pm: 4.5 miles @ 10
    This should have been an 8 mile run, but I had a very small window to do it in. It was only 4 hours since the earlier run and I had to be back to receive my charge for the evening (5 yo niece) so just did what I could manage. 

Sunday 5th February
    Up early (for me) for Junior Parkrun in Albert College. NJ (niece) was asking this morning me if other kids got nervous before Parkrun. Poor thing was worrying about how she'd do! Kept the Garmin well hidden ;) and ran the whole race with her. My sister was roped into marshalling and another sister ran with her partner's daughter who is the same age. It took NJ a while to get into her stride but when she did she was loving it. She'd sprint really fast for a few minutes, then walk a bit then speed up again. She loved passing people which proved difficult at times as (like in most 'races') kids and parents were walking 4/5 abreast across the path. She was buzzing during it and after it and can't wait to go again. She seems very competitive and was delighted to beat her little friend (I asked her at one point did she want to wait for her friend to catch up and she said 'No Aoife, I'm beating her, let's go faster') and wants to beat some of the faster boys and girls the next time. Training starts on Tuesday:D
    1.2 miles @ 14:08
    then... 
    am: 8 miles easy @ 9:57
    Laps of local park. Felt very tired as I'd a very poor night's sleep last night and felt very sleepy. 
    pm: 6.6 miles @ 9:36
    Brilliant run and could have gone a bit longer and faster but decided to ease off on the miles today a bit as it's my biggest week ever by about an hour and don't want to tempt fate as things are going so well! 
    Weekly total: 106 miles (highest to-date)
    17.5hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Ed Mc Groarty

Some fantastic train going on here. Would be interesting to see how you would fair in a race soon but I suppose you're saving yourself for Belfast.
    It would do no harm though in my opinion.

Some fantastic train going on here. Would be interesting to see how you would fair in a race soon but I suppose you're saving yourself for Belfast.
    It would do no harm though in my opinion.

Thanks Ed. Not ruling out a race at all. A bit broke these days so the priority is to keep myself in runners and fuelling for the next 5 months (not cheap!). Will keep the eyes open though for something suitable that would fit in with plans and be a good tune up race. Have one or two things in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

5 hours of loops, you're really dedicated A, hats off to you :)

Have you a deferred entry to the Conn Ultra?

• Advertisement

Neady83 wrote: »
    5 hours of loops, you're really dedicated A, hats off to you :)

Have you a deferred entry to the Conn Ultra?

Thanks Neady! Dedication or just madness:confused::D

Yes, you're right, but I've decided not to do it this year. I'm just not prepared for the hills this year. Everything I do now is on the flat (similar profile to Belfast which is the only real goal race this year), bar the odd hill sprint, whereas last year I was doing a good bit of hillier work in training.
    I really enjoyed that canal run in Longford last year (53k) so might go again... or I could just do the marathon in Longford, and put a bit more welly into it for a pb... without disrupting training too much. We'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

106 miles in a week :eek: Wow, that's some going Ososlo!!!

RubyK wrote: »
    106 miles in a week :eek: Wow, that's some going Ososlo!!!

Thanks, Ruby! Just delighted to be remaining niggle free and to still be enjoying it as much as ever!

Hope London training is going really well for you! Excited to see how you'll go this year :-)

Monday 6 Feb
    am: 10 miles @ 10:05
    pm: 9 miles @ 9:40

Tuesday 7 Feb
    am: 9.2 miles @ 9:58 inc 7 x 8 sec hill sprints
    Phoenix Park for this one. Windy but enjoyable.
    pm: 8 miles @ 9:26
    Legs full of zip after hills earlier in the day.

Wednesday 8 Feb
    Rest

Thursday 9 Feb

10 miles @ 9:35
    Lovely post work run on my local night time loop.

Friday 10 Feb
    10 miles @ 9:29
    As above.

Saturday 11 Feb

am: 12 miles @ 9:42
    Very windy and hard to remain relaxed and keep the effort consistently easy with the gusts nearly lifting me off my feet.
    pm: 9 miles @ 9:29
    Local night time loops. A van stops me during this and beckons me over. They say 'we're from Social Services'. First thing that came to mind was that they were going to question me about my mental state running in the same small circles night after night after night :D, but turns out it was something very different altogether.

Sunday 12 Feb

am: 13.2 miles @ 9:46
    Battling storms and hailstones and sleet which was tough but exhilarating at times!
    pm: 9.2 miles @ 9:35
    I was soaked from the morning run and it took me 4 hours to warm up again, only to have to head out again on the evening plod! It would have been SO easy to just tell myself I'd done plenty already for the week and leave it at that, but I asked myself how much Belfast means to me this year and how much do I really want to do well and improve on last year? I had the runners on and was out the door, before I had time to answer myself :D Delighted to be out once I got going and thoroughly enjoyed it!!!

Weekly total: 100 miles

16hrs 9 mins

Myself and the boss have revised my plan a bit so that I'm not doing really long runs every single weekend, but when I do them, they'll be super long. This will mean I should be able to handle bigger daily doubles most weeks, but I'll watch things carefully so as not to overdo it there either. It's all a fine balancing act! I still can't stop eating though with the extra miles. It's crazy! I just can't get full and am basically snacking all day long. I've never had such an appetite! Sleep is not so bad lately, so on the whole, all in all, I'm very happy with how things are going! I'm miles ahead (literally) of where I was this time last year so that should count for something, surely come July!!!

Hello A,

What is the benefit to such short hill sprints time wise? and will you do any other form of speedwork in the coming months?

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    I still can't stop eating though with the extra miles. It's crazy! I just can't get full and am basically snacking all day long. I've never had such an appetite!

+1 to that at the moment. My boyfriend reckons that I'm getting very expensive to run :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

+1 to that at the moment. My boyfriend reckons that I'm getting very expensive to run :D

You make yourself sound like an antique car :)

TbL

Exactly wrote: »
    Hello A,

What is the benefit to such short hill sprints time wise? and will you do any other form of speedwork in the coming months?

Howaya, P! The short hill blasts are something to do with running economy, I believe!

I won't be doing much speedwork, no. It's too much of an injury risk to mix the high mileage and a lot of speedwork and the increase of mileage will serve me better than speedwork.
    To do what I want to do in Belfast, I don't believe I need to be faster, but I do need to be a lot mentally and physically tougher and aerobically fitter, and my legs need to be much much more resilient to running on a tough surface for 24 hours as I feel that this was what let me down a bit last year in the early hours of Sunday morning. This year was never going to be about developing speed, but all about building my endurance up as much as possible without breaking down. To be honest, I thought 100 miles per week was going to be my peak mileage week, and as much as I'd be capable of, but now that I'm doing 100 comfortably enough, I know I'm capable of a lot more (when time allows) once it's done very carefully and without much if any speedwork.

I know I'm not that experienced in this whole super long ultra thing, but I have done 2 very long races now, and I came away from both races feeling that what let me down a bit, was not lack of speed, but lack of endurance and lacking a bit of leg strength. I'm fairly sure that the more hours on the road I can run per week between now and July, the easier it'll be for me on the day and the better I will do. As a wise Boardsie ultra runner once said 'More Miles Means More Improvement' :)
    I'm following exactly what my coach is telling me, and I trust him implicitly that he knows what's best for me so gonna continue to do what I'm told. I am 'allowed' mix things up a bit if I get bored by doing the odd steady or progression run, or a very loose fartlek session. Boredom luckily has never been an issue for me. I know what I'm doing would drive many to the edge, but personally, I love it!

I've recently been thinking a bit about the future (not something I do a whole lot of!) and depending on how things go this year (Belfast and possibly Tralee 12 hr), I might consider a change of direction for a while and go back to 5k and then marathon training as I know I have an awful lot more to achieve on the speed front! I'll have a very good base built from which to work from:). But then again, if Belfast goes to plan, I'll probably just want to improve even more for my next 24hr assault. I've been looking at some of those events that are on in Athens this weekend, and I have strange draw towards some of the races that are longer than 24 hrs:eek: Anything could happen:D

Hope you're doing well :)

Monday 13th February
    am: 6 miles @ 10:10
    My watch froze so I cut the run short. How pathetic is that! Can’t bear not to have the stats afterwards. Supposed to be 12 miles easy.
    pm: 10 miles @ 9:04 (fartlek)
    Did a software update on the watch, then a soft reset and deleted the history from watch and it did the trick. ‘Hot Buttered Scones’ kindly sorted me out with another watch a few weeks back, so if this one starts playing up again, it’s great to have a backup. Thanks again, M!

Spiced up the evening run with some spurts of faster running over about 7 miles of this run. Nothing too crazy, but was hitting sub 7 pace for bits and pieces of this so nice to get the legs moving a bit faster again!

Tuesday 14th February
    am: 11 miles recovery @ 9:56
    pm: 10 miles easy @ 9:32

Wednesday 15 February
    Rest
    Went to Phoenix Park to do my hill sprints. Got out of the car and started running and I felt horrible. My arms and legs felt weak and my breathing was horrible so just plodded back to the car. I've lost about 2.5lbs in the last few days so it could have had something to do with that. My RHR was very low this morning (too low?), but I don't feel in any way sick or anything. Decided to take my rest day today instead of tomorrow. I stupidly went out to attempt to do my evening run also, but felt the same, so did an about-turn after a few mins and walked home. I KNEW deep down that I shouldn’t have bothered even attempting to run again today, but went anyway. I will never learn. I really need to start copping on and not just listening to the body, but actually obeying what it is trying to tell me to do. I was purely and simply, exhausted but afraid to admit it to myself.

Thursday 16 February
    10 miles easy @ 9:40
    Post work run. Felt great; all good in Ososlo’s running world again!

Friday 17 February
    10.2 miles easy @ 9:37
    As above

Saturday 18 February
    am: 10.3 miles easy @ 9:32
    Met up with my brother who wanted a bit of a tour of the park as he keeps getting lost when he runs there, so wanted me to show him around different parts to try and get his bearings. Went into Farmleigh which I haven’t really done before. He has to read every information panel and look at every monument and structure etc, so there was a bit of stopping and starting involved. Enjoyable all the same and very different to my usual loopy runs. This run was a bit shorter than planned but had stuff to do afterwards. I really need to manage my time a bit better and start getting up earlier on my days off. I can be extremely lazy betimes!!!
    Pm: 10 miles easy @ 9:34
    Back on me tod to the local night time loopy run.

Sunday 19 February
    am: 12.2 miles easy @ 9:43
    A bit tight for time this morning so did what I could manage. Should have been a bit longer and my 100+ mile week was slowly slipping away from me.
    pm: 4 miles easy @ 9:39
    Arrived in Kilkenny, and again, only had a very small window for running so managed a few miles but not half of what I wanted, but sometimes far more important things have to take precedence over running.

Weekly total: 94 miles
    15hrs 6mins
    The plan is to do a very long run at the weekend (longest ever training run) so gonna take it easy most of this week this week in order to prepare for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Ah, only 94 miles this week :rolleyes::D:cool:. I'll think that's about my total for the month to date and I think I'm great :D.

A friend of mine took part in the 'last man standing' event last weekend and I was wondering if you'd heard of it or would ever have any interest ? Essentially a loopy run (4.2 miles) on the hour every hour until you're timed out or everyone else has given up/gone home/fallen asleep.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Ah, only 94 miles this week :rolleyes::D:cool:. I'll think that's about my total for the month to date and I think I'm great :D.
    But you are great:D
    haha, I kinda lose all perspective with the mileage these days. I feel lazy and useless unless I hit 100 now. Crazy!
    A friend of mine took part in the 'last man standing' event last weekend and I was wondering if you'd heard of it or would ever have any interest ? Essentially a loopy run (4.2 miles) on the hour every hour until you're timed out or everyone else has given up/gone home/fallen asleep.
    Yeah, I heard of it recently and a mate of mine (v.shy Boardsie ultra runner ;) ) wanted me to do it with him, but I couldn't afford the trip. It does sound interesting alright and it's something I might do in the future. Did your friend enjoy it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I believe the official name is 'last ONE standing' :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Thought it might have been you lapping anti-clockwise late this afternoon. Saw on Strava afterwards that it was. Will give you a shout out if I spot you again. Fairly epic run by you. Must be kind of hypnotic running that many loops for that many hours.

outforarun wrote: »
    Thought it might have been you lapping anti-clockwise late this afternoon. Saw on Strava afterwards that it was. Will give you a shout out if I spot you again. Fairly epic run by you. Must be kind of hypnotic running that many loops for that many hours.

Hey! Think I know who you are now from my Strava flybys on Friday. Yes, please do say hi the next time! It'd be super to meet you! I guess it's kinda hypnotic alright, but in a good way :)

Monday February 20th
    Rest

Tuesday February 21

am: 12 miles @ 9:54 incl 7 x 8 sec hill sprints
    pm: 10.6 miles easy @ 9:42

Wednesday February 22
    10.2 miles easy @ 9:46

Thursday February 23
    6.2 miles @ 10
    Keeping everything very easy and short in advance of super long run this week; a mini taper if you like.

Friday February 24
    37 miles @ 10:03
    Plan today was 40 miles @ 24 hour starting pace, which I hope to be about 10:10-10:15min/mile.
    Took to the Acres in the Phoenix Park and proceeded to do 23 laps around the pitches. Each lap is about 1.6 miles. It was windy, but not too bad and only rained a little, so I got the best of the day really. Parked the car up alongside the loop so it was handy to pick up bottles of fuel as needed. I needed to pee really badly for the first 10 miles so didn't want to take in any more liquid until I had an opportunity to 'go'. It was a little busier than usual with kids off school. Eventually got the opportunity to go, and then started taking my Tailwind and took on about 200 calories of it per hour. I felt really good today, both mentally and physically. At no point did I not want to be doing what I was doing and wish I was finishing. You know you're turning into an ultra runner when you pass 26.2 and it doesn't even register with you and you don't think to check the watch! 30 miles was my longest ever training run before this, and when I got to 30 I was feeling really good still. The pace was a teeny bit faster than it should have been but it felt about right and sustainable for a much longer period. Both Overpronotor and Outforarun passed me at some stage(s?) but I have never met either of them so not sure when it was.
    I made the same stupid mistake though as on my last long run: I didn't start the run early enough, so when it got to about 6:30 it was getting too dark to continue running and I just felt very unsafe. I did one loop I shouldn't have as it was too dark and too chancy. There were no people around except one guy lying down with a backpack over near the military building and I was petrified passing him. Then I started getting scared of the deer as they were all converging on the paths, and didn't seem to be afraid of me like they were in the brightness:eek:. I had to call it a day at 37 miles, but there would have been absolutely no problem continuing on at this pace for a lot longer, so that's all that matters really. I can genuinely say that I enjoyed every single moment of that run, except for the end when I was running scared. Can't wait for the next long one in a few weeks where I hope to do about 50ish.
    I ate so much that night it was funny. I'll have to start keeping an eye on this or I'll be putting on weight!!!!!!!!!!

Saturday February 25th
    6.5 miles recovery @ 10:28
    All the bits and bobs felt fine today, but I was completely wrecked as I hardly slept the previous night. I was wired after the long run which is usually what happens, so no surprises there that it lead to a poor night. Legs felt the best they ever have after a long run which is a great sign.

Sunday February 26th
    am: 14 miles easy @ 9:52
    Another night of very poor sleep. I'll crack up if I don't get a decent night soon. Very frustrating...
    Crazy storm with wind and hail and some sunshine for this- a little bit of everything really but I enjoyed this enormously regardless of conditions and sleepiness.
    pm: 6.6 miles easy @ 9:29
    Nice and easy. Suits me, oh so much.

Weekly total: 103.5
    17hrs 7mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Total and utter awe. Can't tell you how much I am enjoying watching your journey unfold!

:eek::eek::eek::eek: you're determination and motivation is without a doubt second to none. Your log is a credit to you and a great tool for anyone starting out in their running career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Monday February 20th
    Rest

You slacker! :pac:

Amazing dedication and fab running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

I made the same stupid mistake though as on my last long run: I didn't start the run early enough, so when it got to about 6:30 it was getting too dark to continue running and I just felt very unsafe. I did one loop I shouldn't have as it was too dark and too chancy. There were no people around except one guy lying down with a backpack over near the military building and I was petrified passing him. Then I started getting scared of the deer as they were all converging on the paths, and didn't seem to be afraid of me like they were in the brightness:eek:. I had to call it a day at 37 miles, but there would have been absolutely no problem continuing on at this pace for a lot longer, so that's all that matters really. I can genuinely say that I enjoyed every single moment of that run, except for the end when I was running scared. Can't wait for the next long one in a few weeks where I hope to do about 50ish.

This is amazing. *Only* 37 miles. Looking forward to reading about the next adventure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Weekly total: 103.5
    17hrs 7mins

OMG I couldn't run that in a month :eek:

You're truly inspirational.

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Total and utter awe. Can't tell you how much I am enjoying watching your journey unfold!
    Good to see you popping up here! Don't suppose we'll get a log update soon??? Hope all is going really well! And thank you!
    :eek::eek::eek::eek: you're determination and motivation is without a doubt second to none. Your log is a credit to you and a great tool for anyone starting out in their running career.
    Look who's talking:eek: Right back at ya Neady:D
    Singer wrote: »
    You slacker! :pac:
    And 2 days of only 6 miles! MUST TRY HARDER:pac:
    This is amazing. *Only* 37 miles. Looking forward to reading about the next adventure!
    Thanks WW! Hopefully the next one will be half as enjoyable as the last one!
    ariana` wrote: »
    OMG I couldn't run that in a month :eek:

You're truly inspirational.
    Of course you could! It's only a few years ago since I thought I couldn't run for 60 seconds without dying. If you want to do it enough, you can do it, and more:) Thanks so much, ariana '!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Have you seen The Barkley Marathons yet...? It's a great documentary on Netflix about ultra running. Check it out if you have not seen it, I would say you will love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

A, you are a machine! Fantastically impressive, don't underestimate what you're achieving. Clearly your powers of recovery are on a par with your running prowess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Good to see you popping up here! Don't suppose we'll get a log update soon??? Hope all is going really well! And thank you!

Hehe 'fraid not. I'm not even keeping a private log these days: scribbling on my schedule after each session/run is as far as it gets. All is going well thanks. I must stop reading your log tho, I don't think I do 37 miles in a WEEK lately never mind a day :D:D

• Advertisement

I was just sending these links onto a mate and remembered that I posted about this documentary here the other day so I may as well put them on this thread. Anybody with an interest in running will love this doc.

^^^^ wow!!!😨 Not sure I'd be quite adventurous enough for something like this, but never say never! Thanks for posting links Dub13!!

^^^^ wow!!!😨 Not sure I'd be quite adventurous enough for something like this, but never say never! Thanks for posting links Dub13!!

I am the same but its just a great watch, you will find it online. Everybody involved from the organisers to people doing it are stone mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Great training you are doing at the moment A. Don't know how you fit it all in!

As Dubgal says it's great watching in all from the outside. I'm all out of superlatives at this stage ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Ah now, Barkley marathons, ok bit of an effort, but have you guys seen the Montane Spine?

https://www.facebook.com/TheSpineRace/

I was glued to the tracker over 4-5 days at the end of January when it was on. The little videos are brilliant, with a deadly soundtrack. I was always looking forward to the next one:
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/TheSpineRace/videos/?ref=page_internal

Quite a few of this year's episodes have Enduro in them, he has won it a couple of times and has the course record. He had a fractured rib this year and had to withdraw (see episode 6). The woman who won this year is Irish living in Yorkshire.

Massively inspiring stuff.

No, I am not planning on doing it ;). But aim to get myself out into the hills a bit more often.

Would be no bother to Ososlo of course!

Monday 27 February
    am: 13.4 miles @ 9:45

Easy local. Very windy and cold. I find my eyes are watering a ridiculous amount during cold windy weather running lately. I wear glasses and a cap to protect them a bit, but they’re very sensitive and tears stream down my face for most of the run. Very annoying. If anyone has any advice…
    pm: 10 miles @ 9:28
    As per usual, always feel much fresher and livelier, and run much quicker for the same effort on the evening run!

Tuesday 28 February
    am: 12.2 miles @ 9:56

Sometimes when the weather is this bad, I really wish I owned a treadmill. However, the one and only time I have been on one (getting gait analysis for my first pair of runners in Runways a few years back) I fell off it. They had to do some other kind of standing test on my feet to recommend suitable runners as I just couldn’t run on it for the life of me. It was SO embarrassing. The assistant called her boss and they were all there trying to hold the laughter back (I’m sure they weren’t really, but I felt very self-conscious and paranoid:o) as they were watching me attempt to run on the bloody thing and they had never seen the like before. If I could have easily escaped, and run out of the shop without the damn runners, I would gladly have done so and probably now be doing much more useful things with my time than running around in circles day after day, week after week!
    Also, if I had a treadmill, I don’t think I’d ever stop running (if I learned how to run on one properly). The lure of it there in the next room would be too great during all those damn sleepless nights. I’d be up early trying to squeeze in a few miles, and a few before bed too, no doubt. So on balance, it’s probably better that I don’t have one:D
    pm: 9.8 @ 9:42
    As is always the case, once I'm actually out in the elements for about 10 minutes, no matter how bad it is, I'm loving it and am wondering how the hell people run for any length of time on a treadmill! I know I'm running around in small loops on most of my runs, but at least there's some kind of environmental stimulation going on around me! Pete Kostelnick does 60 miles runs on a treadmill:eek::eek::eek:

February total: 423 miles (first time in the 400’s)

Wednesday 1st March
    am: 10 miles @ 10,  inc 8 x 8 sec hill sprints

I felt like shight this morning despite having the first decent night’s sleep in about a week. Legs really heavy, but rhr very low at 45bpm and didn’t feel ill or anything, just tired legs! Did a few miles warmup and felt OK and as usual, things improved as I got through the sprints. I had the option when finished the sprints of just doing a mile back to the car to finish the run quickly, or to backtrack my steps and do a long 5 mile jog back to where I started. I chose the latter option which I felt proud of myself for doing. I started feeling much better on the cooldown. Went home and went to bed for an hour, and had one of those ‘cheeky little afternoon naps’ ;-) I find I'm not usually great at sleeping during the day (surprise surprise:rolleyes:) but did actually nod off for a bit. Nice!
    pm: 6.2 miles @ 9:29
    Felt A-mazing on the evening run. Dunno what was up with me this morning. Played it safe regardless, and just did a short evening run but ran the last few miles a tad steadier. Maybe it was the nap!

Thursday  2nd March
    Rest

‘Slept’ really badly last night. Exhausted hitting the hay, read for an hour, dropped off into a lovely sleepy stupor, then wakened again after a few mins, dropped off again, wakened again, stayed awake so started to read, dropped off…. And this cycle repeated itself for most of the night.  Gggrrr..  Today was a planned rest day. I really need to start relaxing a bit more on rest days and to try to avoid thinking and reading and planning my running. I need the psychological break as much as the physical one I think!
    Went out on the town Thurs night for the first time since Christmas and well, I’m a cheap date these days as I was plssed after 3 drinks and felt sick the next morning… :o

Friday 3rd March
    10 easy @ 9:48

Post work jog. Stomach a bit off tonight from previous night's endeavors. Nice jog all the same.

Saturday 4th March
    am: 14.3 @ 9:47

14 local loops. Stomach still not 100%.
    pm: 10 @ 9:35
    Feeling fanbloomintastic. Had a 90 minute sleep in the afternoon which seemed to work like magic. Maybe the secret is all in the naps!

Sunday 5th March
    am: 14 @ 9:48

A few miles into this and I meet my Sunday morning running friend. He started running with me a few Sundays ago and we had a nice chat. He used to post here but doesn't much any more, I think, but didn't tell me his username but knows everyone around this place. He's a good bit faster than me and his easy pace at the moment is around 8 min/mile (just getting back into it), so he plodded a bit with me at 9ish pace which was too fast for me for chatting so I was a bit whacked after the few miles with him. I slowed it right down when he left. Lovely bloke and nice to chat and he told me that my very obvious passion for running and beaming smile when he sees me running in the park has inspired him a lot to get back into it. Nice to hear that from a fast runner.
    pm: 9.5 miles easy @ 9:25
    A bit tired heading out but perked up no end a few miles in and was flying by the end. A great end to the biggest week ever for me.

Weekly total: 120 miles
    19hrs 28 mins

I have this idea in my head that I'd like to run one week of 24 hours before Belfast, but that's probably totally ridiculous to even consider:eek::D:) Not sure what I'll peak at but I'm currently listening very closely to my body so as not to overdo things. I have absolutely no aches or niggles or any hot spots, so delighted about that and seem to be able to handle it all physically (so far...), so need to ensure I'm listening just as closely to the mental side of things so as not to overdo it, but feel I have it fairly well balanced right now. The day off each week is a great idea and helps to keep things in check, so I'll be sticking to this religiously going forward. Weight is definitely going down slowly but steadily all the time but still at very healthy levels, but the good news is that I get to eat even more now :D

• Advertisement

Ah now, Barkley marathons, ok bit of an effort, but have you guys seen the Montane Spine?

Would be no bother to Ososlo of course!

Agreed, immensely inspiring stuff! You must be joking if you think that'd be no bother to me! I'd be WAY out of my depth. For some reason Neady springs to mind for such a challenge! :D
    RedRunner wrote: »
    Great training you are doing at the moment A. Don't know how you fit it all in!

As Dubgal says it's great watching in all from the outside. I'm all out of superlatives at this stage ! ;)
    Ah, thanks, R! Great to see things seem to be going well for you now. Fingers etc crossed for you that you get a good spell of uninterrupted training in.

Yeah, fitting it all in is a bit of a challenge sometimes and other non-running stuff does suffer!

Monday March 6th
    Took the morning off, more so that I could do some ‘real life’ things like cleaning and tidying and shopping, rather than from necessarily wanting to. Anyhow, got a bit bored of real life after a morning of scrubbing, so…..
    pm: 15.2 @ 9:39
    Took in my daytime loop until it got dark and then transferred to my night time loop. Loved this run.

Tuesday March 7th
    am: 9 miles @ 10:05
    2 new pairs of shoes arrived this morning which are a full size bigger than my normal shoe and half size bigger than usual running shoes. I had a small issue with my toenails in Belfast, which I’m trying to avoid this year. They weren’t really hurting me as such, but I could feel them lifting (YUCK and SORRY for the TMI) up from my toes. I subsequently lost most of them in the weeks and months after the event but I’d rather not lose them at all this year if possible. In Tralee, I wore a size 7 for the full thing and didn’t have any further toenail issues, so I’m hoping to wear the 7s for the full 24 hours in Belfast. Took them on a trial run this morning and they felt good after a bit of getting used to. I’ll gradually phase them in over the coming weeks and months.
    pm: 7.3 miles @ 10:08

Wednesday March 8th
    I set up Strava on my phone today to record how much I walk during the days that I’m working in town. Between walking from car to bus, then bus to work, then work into town at lunchtime and back again, and then walk back to bus and then from bus back to car, it covers about 5 miles! Not logging it on Strava or anything, but it was interesting to track it. I walk at a fairly good clip too at about 13 min/mile. Let’s call it cross training!
    pm: 12 miles @ 9:47
    Post work easy run taking in my day loop and night loop. GPS is sc*ewed up a lot lately in my local park so was really a bit faster than that I’d imagine.

Thursday March 9th
    Rest. Scheduled day off.

Friday March 10th
    pm: 12 miles easy @ 9:44
    Easy one after work. Great to be able to get in a few loops of the park before darkness sets in.

Saturday March 11th
    am: 15.4 miles easy @ 10:01
    15 lovely loops of local park.
    pm: 10 miles easy @ 9:47
    24 equally lovely loops of night time loop!

Sunday March 12th
    am: 15.6 miles easy @ 9:43

Nice relaxed run and a couple of loops with my Sunday morning running buddy shooting the breeze.
    pm: 9 miles easy @ 9:36
    And that run brought me over the 1,000 miles for the year. It’s been a great first ten weeks of the year with no illness or injury or niggles to stop me from training; I really couldn’t ask for more. I think in general, easy pace has gotten quicker, however sometimes it’s still quite slow probably due to cumulative fatigue when increasing the mileage. Over the moon really with how it's all going and how I'm feeling with the increases on last year.

Weekly total: 106

Weekly mileage for first 10 weeks of the year:
    2016: 78, 73, 73.5, 64, 77, 70, 51.6, 11, 68, 75
    2017: 88, 100, 100, 81.5, 106, 100, 94, 103.5, 120, 106,

Long runs for first 10 weeks:
    2016: 28, 26.5, 30
    2017: 24, 28, 30.5, 37

Love these weekly updates :) Those long runs are eye watering.

Do you think you're feet will swell as the day goes on in Belfast? Could be worth starting off with you're regular fit runners and increasing size as the day wears on? So you have enough support all day and your toes aren't jingling about the place when they're in a bigger sized runner for the first few hours. Just a thought.

Love these weekly updates :) Those long runs are eye watering.

Do you think you're feet will swell as the day goes on in Belfast? Could be worth starting off with you're regular fit runners and increasing size as the day wears on? So you have enough support all day and your toes aren't jingling about the place when they're in a bigger sized runner for the first few hours. Just a thought.

Thanks, Neady! I'm determined to continue logging in the build up to Belfast this year as I didn't last year and have nothing to look back on:( I have the stats alright, but it's not the same as logging in a narrative form.

I don't think the feet swelled necessarily last year, and they certainly didn't appear to, it was maybe just the very slight friction of the nails and the top of the toe box after so many hours. I wore the 7s for the full 12 hours in Tralee and they felt great so I think I'll do the same again. The toes don't really feel like they're jingling around the place really. I'll do a very long run soon in the 7s and then make the final call. Thanks for the feedback though as it's good to get another opinion on this. I might change my mind again, and wear the smaller ones for the first 8 hours or something before the problem has time to manifest itself. It's definitely worth considering.
    At the end of the day though, they didn't cause me any pain during the race, and if I lose them all again in the aftermath, it's no big deal really, and if I achieve a good pb, I won't give a toss at all I'm sure and would probably sacrifice a few toes too if I had to :D

Monday March 13th & Tuesday March 14th
    Rest. Personal stuff to deal with and thought the mini break would do me good as haven’t taken more than one day off per week since the start of the year. I felt ridiculously guilty for taking the full 2 days though and spent a large percentage of the time trying to figure out how I'd get my planned 115 miles done for the week in only 5 days of running. #getagrip #letitgo

Wednesday March 15th
    am: 10.4 miles @ 10:02 (inc hill sprints)
    Fab day and got a bit sunburnt! Feeling very lethargic after the 2 days off! Thought I’d be an unstoppable force this morning, but quite the opposite!
    pm: 11 miles @ 9:47
    Felt much more normal on evening run.

Thursday March 16th
    10 miles @ 9:42
    Great to have a bit of brightness for a few miles after work in the local park, and then moved to night time shorter loop when darkness came.

Friday March 17th
    am: 15.4 miles @ 9:43
    Lovely, jubbley and took on some Tailwind, for practice as much as anything. It’s my definite choice for Belfast now. I won’t be taking anything else on, as solids and me just don’t work for running, so this seems to have everything I need in one inoffensive drink and Ucan just reminds me of Belfast 2016 pain too much, so psychologically, I think it's good to have something different this time around! If I can get 200 cals of it into me per hour, for the full 24 hours, I’ll be laughing (along with running well, hopefully:))!
    I felt a little sore spot on my heel during the run and took the shoe off to check my foot. There turned out to be a very worn spot on the shoe (usual size 6.5), where the heel was rubbing against it, and a tiny blister was starting to form. The beauty of running short loops near home, is that I was able to pop back a few minutes after I noticed it and change my shoes and didn't have to run another few miles and make the blister worse. Binned the shoes, which do have well over the 500 miles on them anyway. Blister didn't get any worse thankfully.

pm: 10 miles @ 9:37
    Very windy but enjoyable as I took it nice and handy.

Saturday March 18th
    am: 10.5 miles @ 9:57
    Tired today and legs very heavy, as I probably did a bit too much yesterday, but with the day off work I decided to make hay, but maybe made a little too much! Cut this one a bit shorter.
    pm: 6 miles @ 10
    Still tired. Didn't sleep all night Saturday night, and it wasn't 'cause I was partying:rolleyes:

Sunday March 19th
    am: 15 miles @ 9:41
    Back to normal today and feeling full of zip despite the insomnia the previous night. More Tailwind practice on this run.
    pm: 7 miles @ 9:53

Weekly total: 95.7 miles & feeling good :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

What's your am routine/rising time, btw? I'm a morning person, don't mind that aspect. Not that I'd keep up with the bar you've set.

What's your am routine/rising time, btw? I'm a morning person, don't mind that aspect. Not that I'd keep up with the bar you've set.

+1 to this. Could you tell us how you fit this all in and have time to work, eat and sleep? oh and log and spend time with people, spending time with people is important :)

+1 to this. Could you tell us how you fit this all in and have time to work, eat and sleep? oh and log and spend time with people, spending time with people is important :)
    It is:confused: Maybe..... :D:)

I'm very poor at managing my time, and am actually working on this with my coach from this week, as I was finding lately, that running was taking over my life, and real life stuff was starting to slip and suffer a bit, and I cannot let running take over completely:o. I have a ridiculously addictive personality, and even compared to past addictions, running is by far, the biggest addiction yet. A lot healthier than the previous ones, but I guess it could get to a stage where it's not healthy anymore... if I let it.
    So, I'm trying to regain a bit of control.
    I'm going to start my runs earlier, and do the second one later (bright nights will help) so that there's a bigger gap in my day for the real life bits.
    I'm not an early riser, at all, at all at all, so instead of starting the first run at 11.30-12 which I was doing, I'm starting at 10ish now and will start doing the second run at 7 (on days off work). That's the plan anyway. The problem is my insomnia though. If I'm awake most of the night, and I'm not working the next day, then I just have to make the most of a lie in and get a few hours' kip (I generally sleep best from 5am onwards) so this messes things up big time... Ideally, I'd like to start the first run at 9am and will do if sleeping patterns imrove:rolleyes:
    I'm only working 2-3 days out of 7 at the moment so I don't have the pressures most people have of a full-time job, so I can be a bit more flexible than most with my schedule, but it does need more structure as other things need attention that I've been neglecting.
    Oh and Neady, finding time to eat is never a problem ;) I'm constantly snaking all day long!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm constantly snaking all day long!

Careful where you shed your skin now...

Monday March 20th
    am: 13 miles @ 9:47
    pm: 11 miles @ 9:42

Tuesday March 21
    Went out to do my morning run and mentally felt awful. Today I had to NOT run. My head was not in the game at all so did an about turn and went home, and tried to put all running related stuff out of my head for the day. It worked out quite well actually, as had a meeting tonight which turned out to be extremely eventful and very stressful, and lasted for 5.5 hours with cops eventually being called to sort it out at 1am when things got very hairy... Crazy **** night… but I did forget about running for a bit!

Wednesday March 22nd
    Was wrecked today, emotionally and physically and had had no sleep the previous night, and a few drinks were had in the wee small hours. After a full day in work, I was fit for nothing more than collapsing on the couch when I got home.

Thursday March 23rd
    13 easy @ 9:26
    Felt fantastic tonight and a nice state of equilibrium reached, both physically, emotionally and mentally :)

Friday March 24th
    Due to OH's birthday celebrations tonight, and the shenanigans earlier in the week, I had to buy myself a little bit of running time, so took leave from work today to squeeze some decent miles in.
    am: 13 @ 9:26
    Lovely
    pm: 10 @ 9:31
    Was jogging along in my local park when a familiar looking fella comes running towards me. T’was only himself, Murph_D ambling happily along in the sunshine. Hadn’t seen him in a couple of years. We had an enjoyable little jog and a lovely chat over a couple of laps. Great to meet you again, Sir! Hope Saturday went well, Doc!

Saturday March 25th
    am: 13 miles easy @ 9:41
    Hungover
    pm: 6 miles @ 9:44
    Slightly less hungover

Sunday March 26th
    am: 6 easy @ 9:45
    This was at 8am (old money) which is extremely early for me to run! I know it’s not considered early for most people, but I just feel awful in the mornings and avoid early morning running if at all possible, but had no choice today. Felt horrible. UGH, and had loads of pressure on me to finish quickly so not the most enjoyable run ever.
    pm: 8 miles @ 9:47
    Spent 5 hours on my feet assisting my ma with her shopping and had a glass of wine at lunch, so was not feeling full of the joys on this run. Cut it short and that was a poor end to a less than wonderful week.

90.4 miles weekly total

So, a bit of a messed up week, with only 5 days of running yet again. Real life impacted a lot on running but I tried not to stress about it or try to make up for any of the missed runs which I’ve been warned not to do. This week is going much better, so far, with far less disruption and I’m up to 60 miles already. Alcohol is completely out the window now, and I mean it this time ;)

In other (very good) news, I’m now getting supported/sponsored by Tailwind Nutrition UK http://www.tailwindnutrition.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

What a rock and roll sounding week A, great stuff....90+ miles in a 5 day week is some going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

You're a sponsored athlete! How cool is that :cool:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

What a dramatic week! Mileage wise you did pretty well considering :) The sponsorship sounds great, there aren't many around here who could claim to be supported (even if in a small way) - nicely done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Congrats on the sponsorship clearly an elite runner now :)

Delighted that Tailwind have got on board to support you A and you'll do them proud. You've already been singing their praises here so it's only fitting that they help you out in this way.

Thanks for the detailed reply on your time management too, I had been wondering how you were fitting it all in. You're doing great.

p.s. in terms of spending time with people. The way I hang out with my friends is by cycling/gymming/running or heading up the mountains with them :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement