Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Be still my beating heart

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats on the sponsorship, that's brilliant for you and you're a great ambassador for them. That was some week and you still managed over 90m. That's brilliant and pure dedication.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭The Bin Man

Congratulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Nice one A, do you have to mention Tailwind, that's Tailwind now in every post ;-)

One of the best clips from Wayne's World -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjB6r-HDDI0

Congrats and it should reduce the cost of things a bit, here's hoping you can get something similar for your footwear as can imagine you burn through them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

All you have to do now is get Jacobs Creek to sponsor you and your laughing..

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

^^^^

Thanks so much, kind folks!  Really appreciate the comments. diego_b, I'm working on the shoe thing;), as yes, I am burning through them like there's no tomorrow, and it's hard to keep up with it (great clip btw:D!)! I might have to go barefoot in Belfast yet! Barry, next target is definitely Jacob's Creek; super idea! Watch this space:D 

Can't believe I'm actually managing to get an update in on a Sunday evening for a change! A nice stress free week on the personal front was had this week, in contrast to last week, which was very very welcome indeed!!! 

Monday 27th March

am: 13 miles @ 9:52
    pm: 10 @ 9:58

Tuesday 28th March
    am:
    10 miles @ 9:52
    pm: 7.7 @ 9:51
    Very tired for all the previous 4 runs. Breathing quite laboured and generally felt a bit lack lustre, but all was fine once I kept it nice and easy and kept the heart rate nice and low. 

Wednesday 29th March
    am: 10.5 miles @ 9:46 incl 6 x 8 sec hill sprints

It became apparent why I was feeling so tired recently this morning. I thought maybe I was verging towards overtraining or something but it just turned out to be women's stuff which is gone haywire these days due to training. All fine now though.
    pm: 9 miles @ 9:46
    Some lovely easy miles in the evening sunshine. 

Thursday 30th March

Day off. Didn't feel I needed it necessarily, but just obeying the rules, and I'm sure it'll stand to me in the long run!!! Had a lovely chat with the Tailwind guy today and went though my training history and upcoming race and goals and short term and long term targets etc. Super interesting guy and sure isn't it always lovely to chat running with someone who's happy to listen!!!! Hopefully the beginnings of a beautiful friendship :-)

Friday 31st March
    11 miles easy @ 9:36

Feeling fantastic this evening after the day off. Really had to hold back on miles and pace. 

March total: 438 miles
    (highest ever)

Saturday 1st April
    am: 13 easy @ 9:38

Feeling lovely and lively so threw in a steadier last mile. 
    pm: 8.7 miles @ 9:44

Sunday 2nd April
    am: 9.5 miles easy @ 9:54

A bit 'ploddy' but fine once I was a few miles in. Took myself to the Phoenix Park for a change.

It was exciting to follow the American 24 hour Run4Water online yesterday and today, which is the last race for qualification for the American Team for Belfast. Gina Slaby breezed through with 143 miles to make the last spot on Women's Team and there was a right old battle going on for spots on the Men's Team with 2 going through from this race and one guy missing out on a spot for Belfast by 200 yards! Gut-wrenching stuff to watch someone put their body through that much stress and pressure for the last hour of a 24 hour race (when one is in such pain anyways) and then to lose out like that with such a paltry distance left to run. Oh the drama!
    pm: 7.5 miles easy @ 9:48
    Just a few easy miles to cap off the week. 

Weekly total: 110 miles 
    18hrs

Am DELIGHTED with this week, as I really could not be feeling fitter and stronger right now!! I keep expecting it all to fall apart (illness, injury etc), but touch wood, it's all going as planned so far. I've had some great epic sleeps this week and even managed to throw in the odd cheeky little afternoon nap;) Some bad habits have been creeping back in with the sweet stuff so that's the next thing to get a handle on, as D-Day draws ever closer... Can't believe it's only 3 months away now!!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Ososlo wrote: »

Am DELIGHTED with this week, as I really could not be feeling fitter and stronger right now!! I keep expecting it all to fall apart (illness, injury etc), but touch wood, it's all going as planned so far. I've had some great epic sleeps this week and even managed to throw in the odd cheeky little afternoon nap;) Some bad habits have been creeping back in with the sweet stuff so that's the next thing to get a handle on, as D-Day draws ever closer... Can't believe it's only 3 months away now!!!!! :D

This is great to hear!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

So exciting watching this unfold. Congrats on sponsorship. tailwind did you say? :pac: Are you keeping an eye on bloods etc? The 'breathing laboured' caught my eye and combined with fatigue, could be a marker for low iron stores. I may have been neglecting this myself so you are catching the benefit of my concern :D

Agree on the naps btw, good enough for the elites.... My kids love when I declare a movie afternoon and snuggle up on the sofa with them....until I start to snore...

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Are you keeping an eye on bloods etc? The 'breathing laboured' caught my eye and combined with fatigue, could be a marker for low iron stores. I may have been neglecting this myself so you are catching the benefit of my concern :D

Well hello there, stranger!!! Hope all is good in Dubgal's world!

I really don't think the iron is low. The fatigue and laboured breathing thing only lasted for a few days and I really think it was to do with 'cycle' stuff (I'm not talking bicycles here;) ). But as it so happens, I am due a blood test this month, as my doctor suggested I get them every 6 months to keep a close eye on this stuff due to my training load. She's actually great that way and doesn't preach at all like the last one did. She's a keeper:D

p.s. I wish you'd come back properly to the AR forum. We need you around here to keep an eye on us all! And you're one of the best posters and we miss you :-( !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

It was exciting to follow the American 24 hour Run4Water online yesterday and today, which is the last race for qualification for the American Team for Belfast. Gina Slaby breezed through with 143 miles to make the last spot on Women's Team and there was a right old battle going on for spots on the Men's Team with 2 going through from this race and one guy missing out on a spot for Belfast by 200 yards! Gut-wrenching stuff to watch someone put their body through that much stress and pressure for the last hour of a 24 hour race (when one is in such pain anyways) and then to lose out like that with such a paltry distance left to run. Oh the drama!

Bob Hearn is a friend of mine after running for a good few miles together in the 2015 Spartathlon (he put a couple of hours into me in the second half!), and to seen him miss out by 0.03 miles after putting himself through so much pain and effort was heartbreaking. :(

I hope they'll put him on the plane nevertheless with an eye on an age group medal.

• Advertisement

Bob Hearn is a friend of mine after running for a good few miles together in the 2015 Spartathlon (he put a couple of hours into me in the second half!), and to seen him miss out by 0.03 miles after putting himself through so much pain and effort was heartbreaking. :(

I hope they'll put him on the plane nevertheless with an eye on an age group medal.

Ah poor Bob :*( and then the fall. Must have been even worse watching it when you actually know him. Gut wrenching stuff... Running on empty indeed. Yeah it'd be great if he did get to run as he certainly deserves it.
    The American Women's team is going to be a force to be reckoned with! Very exciting stuff altogether!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Dub13 wrote: »
    I was just sending these links onto a mate and remembered that I posted about this documentary here the other day so I may as well put them on this thread. Anybody with an interest in running will love this doc.

Sorry to highjack your thread Ososlo, just an update on this years race for anybody who watched this doc after me posting It here.

This is heartbreaking.

http://runningmagazine.ca/2017-barkley-marathons-recap/

Oops, letting this slide again!

Monday April 3rd
    am: 15 miles @ 10:21
    This week is Operation GO-OSOSLO-ER. I'm trying out different paces to get a feel for starting pace for Belfast. The aim for this run was 10:30 pace but I found it a tad difficult to get into any kind of rhythm at 10:30 so it naturally veered into a slightly 'faster' pace. I really feel like I could go all day at this effort but wish that were actually true!
    pm: 6.7 miles @ 10:13
    Tried the extra slow running going by feel and not checking the watch. Thinking 10:30 might be a tiny bit too slow for starting pace... decisions decisions...

Tuesday April 4th
    am: 13 miles @ 10:16
    By feel again.
    pm: 9.7 @ 10:16

Wednesday April 5th
    11 miles easy @ 10:03

Thursday April 6th
    10.8 miles easy @ 9:38
    This was with my brother. He kindly stepped down to my easy pace for most of it and did the laps with me even though (like most sane folks) he absolutely hates laps, but he does love to talk so this was a great opportunity for him to have my ear for over an hour and a half :D I was feeling kinda lively so asked him to run a mile at his normal jogging pace and I'd try to keep up. I found it ok (tempo-ish effort for me) and it was 7:56 pace which was good for the confidence, as sometimes with all the slow running, you do feel like you'll never be capable of running fast again. Happy with that.

Friday April 7th
    9.4 miles easy @ 9:53

Saturday April 8th
    am: 15 miles easy @ 10:12
    Again, went out an effort I felt I could sustain for a very long time, not looking at the watch.
    pm: 9.2 miles easy @ 9:57

Sunday April 9th
    Off

Weekly total: 100.4 miles
    16hr 54 mins

Monday April 10th
    Off
    Decided to take last week's day off, and this week's day off together, to give myself a bit of a mental break. Physically I never feel like I need to take days off, but mentally, I think it's really good for me. Spent the day doing hours of outdoor chores for my mother including a lot of painting (bad idea to do this close to the long run) which did have me pretty wrecked by the end of the day with a very achy arm from painting.

Tuesday April 11th
    6.7 miles extra easy @ 10:03
    Knowing I had a big run the next day, I did this at recovery effort. Legs felt great and willing me to take off.

Wednesday April 12th
    35.3 miles easy @ 10:18
    Had been looking forward to this for weeks! My Tailwind arrived just in time on Monday so all systems go for the big run. Made up a billion little bottles of it so I could pick up a new 250ml bottle every 30-40 mins. Had bagel, banana and mixed nuts for breakfast, 2 hours prior to the run. DON'T DO THIS AGAIN, OSOSLO. Next time just the bagel or 2 bagels if I can manage to eat that much. Nuts and bananas do not suit me before a long run. They don't digest quickly enough and cause me stitches and stomach discomfort. Lesson learned, hopefully for good this time. I've made this mistake so many times before, I feel like an idiot for making it yet again.

This run was 22 laps of the Acres in the Phoenix Park, which was very windy today, and I was even blasted out of it with hailstones early in the run! Was in a tee-shirt for the first 10 miles, but was freezing cold due to the slow pace, so luckily I had a coat in the car which I left on for most of the run. My arm was aching a lot throughout, due to the few hours of painting I'd done on Monday, so I tried to hold the bottle in my left hand which I hate doing, so that was a bit annoying. The painting arm is in absolute bits today and I can barely lift it! So the next lesson learned, is don't do activities which are out of the ordinary in the days prior to the long run or race! Back to basics here!!!

Stitches kicked in from about 10 miles so I had to dial back the effort even more and they'd go for a few miles, but come back again and got worse when running into the wind as it was hard to maintain even breathing.

All in all, it wasn't as pleasant and enjoyable as the previous long ones I did, due to the conditions today, and the arm and the stitches, but it was fine and they can't all be brilliant. I didn't feel very tired afterwards and the legs felt great and absolutely no aches today, so delighted about that as I don't feel the very long ones are taking that much out of me anymore. If I could do the first 8 hours at that effort in Belfast with the legs feeling that good at that point in the race, I'd be over the moon, but we'll see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Incredible training Ososlo, in awe of your work and dedication!! When is Belfast?

RubyK wrote: »
    Incredible training Ososlo, in awe of your work and dedication!! When is Belfast?

Thank you!!! It's 1st and 2nd July.

Is London still on? If so, hope the training is going really well!

Thank you!!! It's 1st and 2nd July.

Exciting times ahead Ososlo :-) what will your max long run be before tapering?

wrote:
    Is London still on? If so, hope the training is going really well!

Alas London is off for me, I injured myself a few weeks ago during a training run, haven't been able to run since :( I've deferred until next year though, which is something :)

• Advertisement

Exciting times ahead Ososlo :-) what will your max long run be before tapering?

I hope to get a 50 miler done in the next few weeks or 8ish hours - I'd be delighted with something around that and should feel well prepared then.

Alas London is off for me, I injured myself a few weeks ago during a training run, haven't been able to run since :( I've deferred until next year though, which is something :)

Ah damn... very sorry to hear that :( I was hoping you were just keeping a low profile on Strava and training away. Really hope you're back at it soon. :)

Thursday April 13th
    12.3 miles @ 10:05 pace

Recovery from the 35 miler the previous day. Legs feeling really good but a bit tired mainly from yet another sleepless night.

Friday April 14th
    am: 6 miles easy @ 9:41

Never usually get to run Friday mornings, so a nice bonus run on a Very Good Friday indeed!
    pm: 10 miles easy @ 10:16
    Tired this evening.

Saturday April 15th

am: 10 miles @ 10 pace
    pm: 8 miles @ 9:51

Sunday April 16th
    am: 12 miles @ 10:09

Trying to run my 24 hour pace by feel without looking at the watch. A bit faster than I plan to run.
    pm: 9.6 miles @ 10:12

Weekly total: 110 miles
    18hrs 38 mins

I feel sick :( (too much easter egg):(

Monday April 17th
    Rest

Tuesday April 18th
    am: 15 miles easy @ 10:04
    14 degrees and I got sunburned on my face!
    pm: 10 miles @ 9:47

Wednesday April 19th
    10 miles @ 10:10
    Post work. Felt awful for first half and progressively better as second half went on and finished feeling fabulous!

Thursday April 20th
    am: 8 miles @ 10:11
    Had a day off work so went to St. Anne’s to force myself to try running somewhere different instead of my usual 1 mile loops of local park. Went with the intention of doing my hill sprints. Felt fairly crappy for most of this if I’m honest and I found the time went extremely slowly, wandering aimlessly around the park, compared to my usual mile laps. I seemed to be running forever and only covered a couple of miles. The park is lovely but I was just feeling extremely tired and couldn’t wait for it to be over. I thought there was a very steep hill or two which would be perfect for my hill blasts, but when I got to them, they just weren’t sharp enough compared to the one I use in the Phoenix Park for this session. Then I got a bit lost. My watch also kept losing coverage and I had to turn it off and on a few times to regain satellite. Someone who I guessed was Duanington zoomed by me at one point looking very focussed. I wasn’t completely sure it was him until I got home and saw he was on my flyby on Strava. Nice to finally see you in the flesh D, even though we didn’t actually speak :D Next time! Bummer of a run and I was delighted to be finished. Was sweating way too much on this run for the ridiculously slow pace although I don’t trust the stats due to bad coverage in the park. Went home and ate absolutely loads, so something defo a bit off today.
    pm: 5.3 miles @ 9:51
    Again, felt sh1tty for the first 2 miles. Decided to up the pace a bit and weirdly, I felt better running at 9 min miles than 10. Decided to just leave it at a very short run though as I want to reserve lots of energy for the weekend.

Friday April 21st
    10 miles easy @ 9:56
    Post work enjoyable one.

Saturday April 22nd
    am: 15 miles easy @ 10:09
    pm: 10 miles easy @ 9:56

Sunday April 23rd
    15 miles @ 10:06
    Keeping everything at minimal effort – basically at the pace I feel I can hold all day. Practiced eating bits of bagel on this run which is something I've never done before (eating solids on a run) and never thought I could do. Just little cubes of about 50 calories to see if the stomach could handle it without getting a stitch and it seemed to work. I don't need to eat with the Tailwind and don't really plan to, but I think it's good to have something there for backup in case I feel I need a little extra.
    Dropped the pm run as I only had a small window for 4 or 5 miles so was advised not to bother and save the energies for next week, so took myself down to Kilkenny to help out with some family stuff for a few days.

Weekly total: 103 miles
    17hrs 18 mins

Monday April 24th
    Reset/Reset
    A little bit of good news today on the work front finally with a tender that I won. Won’t make me rich, but it’ll make things a tad easier.

Tuesday April 25th
    10.7 miles @ 10:12
    Wanted to tire the legs a bit, but not too much ahead of Wednesday’s long one.

Wednesday April 26th
    40.5 miles @ 10:02 6hrs 50 mins (longest training run ever!)
    This was a dress rehearsal for the 24hr race. Ideally, I’d have liked to have done Longford Ultra on the weekend, but couldn’t afford the trip, so this was done instead. I know it’s not ideal that I’m not getting any race practice, but it is what it is... I wanted to get as much as possible out of this run so made it as race specific as possible, taking on exactly the fuelling at exactly the times I plan to take it on the day.

Breakfast of one bagel with butter at 9:30. No banana or nuts like last time which led to stitches. No stitches today yay!!!

I left a notebook in the car so that I could make notes about the run like the times I picked up a fresh bottle of Tailwind, and the times I pee’d etc. so that I could see if I was getting the fluid intake correct.

So the plan was 1 scoop of Tailwind in 250ml of water every 2 laps, which was about every 30 minutes. I plan to take a tiny bit more liquid on board for the race, but the standard bottle only holds 250ml of liquid, so I just took a swig of plain water each time I went back to the car to make up the difference. I think the plain water every now and again is a good idea too to keep the equilibrium in the stomach. Oh and I took a few jelly beans every now and again to break up the monotony of the fluid.

Wasn’t feeling wonderful for the first few miles so just went with the flow at 10:20-30 pace which felt about right, but a few miles in I started feeling great and the pace picked up naturally. I felt so good towards the end that the pace was hitting early 9 pace. The legs felt super strong throughout and the head was in a really good place today. The only real issue I had was my upper arm. It’s been sore now for over 2 weeks and feels like something is strained. I’ll have to check out some exercises or something. It was sore before the run so I knew that holding it up and swinging it for nearly 7 hours was not going to do it any favours and I was right. Anyway, I have time on my side to get it sorted as it really needs to be good for the race as I have to hold my bottle in my right hand.

I did run it all bit too ‘fast’ for 24hr starting effort, but the effort felt right for the day that was in it. All in all, very happy with the run! Legs felt great after it with nothing sore or niggly. Had a lovely Dominos pizza last night and treated myself to an extra special treat of cookie dough. I think I earned it:D Only had about 2 hours of sleep last night which is usual for me the night of a long run. I always just feel a bit wired and can’t settle but I don't feel too tired this morning.

A very confidence-inducing run :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Wow. Just wow! Fan-frickin-tastic, a very confidence inducing run indeed!

How are your shoulders? That could be affecting your arm? Could you squeeze in a regular thai massage?

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Wow. Just wow! Fan-frickin-tastic, a very confidence inducing run indeed!

How are your shoulders? That could be affecting your arm? Could you squeeze in a regular thai massage?

Thanks!

The problem stems from a few hours of work I did for my mother over 2 weeks ago. I was washing windows and stretching upwards for a long period of time and then painting. I must have done some damage that day and it hasn't been the same since and getting progressively worse really. My shoulders are ok. It's very much the arm itself, between the elbow and shoulder. I'm sure there's a name for it!

If you know anyone who does 'em for a fiver, then maybe:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Congrats on the VLSR, Ososlo, was wondering how you were doing. *and* on securing the extra bit of work :)

Holy moly :eek: a 40 mile run. Incredible training Ososlo!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That's some run, A. Don't know much about this stuff but you seem well on the way to a great day when the main event rolls around. I can identify with the upper arm pain - had that during first few Marathon cycles. You could be right about the painting, but then again it could be just the extra strain of holding your arms up for long periods - very long in your case. The massage is a good idea. Even if you just get a friend do it.

Sorry you got lost in St Anne's. We could've arranged a welcome party and tour guide if you'd let us know. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

A 7 hour training run, incredible. You must be burning through the Tailwind :) Fair play A, it's all coming together very nicely.

Congrats on the VLSR, Ososlo, was wondering how you were doing. *and* on securing the extra bit of work :)
    Thank you! Just caught up with your log too and great to see things going so well. Long may it continue!
    Holy moly :eek: a 40 mile run. Incredible training Ososlo!!!
    Cheers, A. Delighted with it really. How are you now? Getting back on track?
    Murph_D wrote: »
    That's some run, A. Don't know much about this stuff but you seem well on the way to a great day when the main event rolls around. I can identify with the upper arm pain - had that during first few Marathon cycles. You could be right about the painting, but then again it could be just the extra strain of holding your arms up for long periods - very long in your case. The massage is a good idea. Even if you just get a friend do it.

Sorry you got lost in St Anne's. We could've arranged a welcome party and tour guide if you'd let us know. ;)
    My theory is that I twisted/strained something ever so slightly when doing the work, which was exacerbated big style on the 35 mile run I did 2 days later. Holding the arm up for that many hours is probably what did the real damage alright...

Hah, I'll let you know next time. I think the tour guide would be a great idea;) Once I'm not running around in small circles, anything is liable to happen and I could end up anywhere:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

I think the tour guide would be a great idea;)

Also *this*, if you are looking for even more work :rolleyes::

http://sightjoggingdublin.com

Imagine they would be thrilled to have you. Or you could set up your own ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Wow in awe what a run super stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Delighted to see the prep for Belfast going so well A!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

You have some tenacity A. Day after day, always making progress, small loops weaved into bigger projects. Quietly pushing on. And only then, at some point, a result of your own making.

Neady83 wrote: »
    A 7 hour training run, incredible. You must be burning through the Tailwind :) Fair play A, it's all coming together very nicely.
    haha, I am indeed, S! I took on 12 x 250ml bottles on the run, not to mention the extra slugs of water I took each time I went back to the car to collect a new bottle. Many many 'comfort stops':o were taken! No way around that however, as I need the fluid, so will just factor in plenty of loo breaks into the race plan.
    Did you take it during your recent endeavors? I don't remember reading about it in your report? Peeing and long distance running is such a nuisance:o

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Wow in awe what a run super stuff
    Thanks so much, A. Nice running yourself recently!
    RedRunner wrote: »
    Delighted to see the prep for Belfast going so well A!
    Cheers, R. All going to plan. If you're still thinking of making that trip, drop me a message.
    denis b wrote: »
    You have some tenacity A. Day after day, always making progress, small loops weaved into bigger projects. Quietly pushing on. And only then, at some point, a result of your own making.
    Ah, thanks, D! That's very poetic. That's gonna stick with me....
    Some racing by yourself yesterday. Very gutsy running. Well done again.

• Advertisement

Thursday April 27th
    6 miles recovery @ 10:24

Legs felt fairly good after the long one the previous day, but I had absolutely no sleep as was wired all night from the run, so a bit sleepy on this one. Delighted that the legs seem so strong now that the huge runs aren't taking too much out of me.

Friday April 28th
    10 miles easy @ 10:16

Still no sleep...

Saturday April 29th
    am: 14.2 miles @ 9:51

Sleep, yay!!
    Started taking some hay fever medication this morning as it's driving me bonkers lately with itchy eyes being the main problem. Cap and glasses help somewhat when running, but not enough, so I'll give this a try for a while and hopefully it'll help.
    pm: 7 miles easy @ 9:52

Sunday April 30th
    am: 14 @ 9:57
    pm: 7.6 @ 10:03

Weekly total:
    110 miles 18hrs 29mins
    April total: 463

Delighted with April which is the highest mileage month ever. A completely uninterrupted month with 2 decent long runs (35 & 40 miles) and 6 days running each week with plenty of doubles. Legs feel 100%. The arm is a bit sore alright still, but hopefully time will heal it, but will have to see someone if there's no improvement in the next few weeks. It's a year since I've had to pay money to a physio/pt, so I'll be pretty damn annoyed if it's my arm that causes me to have to see one now!
    5 more weeks of hard training left, and then taper time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I'm always humbled by your log, but never more so when your 'decent long run' equates to or exceeds my weekly mileage :o. Looking good for Belfast, it's gonna be epic!

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    I'm always humbled by your log, but never more so when your 'decent long run' equates to or exceeds my weekly mileage :o. Looking good for Belfast, it's gonna be epic!

Thanks, G. It's only plodding though. I'd give my right arm (the sore one ;) ) to be able to run your short fast times.
    You're right though, it is gonna be epic!!! SO excited!!! And loving the training too.
    I really hope you get the back sorted asap and hope your next update shows great improvement!

It's May 16th and there hasn't been an update for May yet. I need my fix of crazy long runs to get me motivated :)

Hope all is going well A :)

It's May 16th and there hasn't been an update for May yet. I need my fix of crazy long runs to get me motivated :)

Hope all is going well A :)

haha, I was only saying to Singer earlier that I haven't done my Boards homework for over 2 weeks now! Thanks for the much needed push, Neady, I'll get working on it!

All going really well, thank you!

Monday May 1st
    Rest

Tuesday May 2nd
    am: 15 miles @ 10:08
    pm: 10 miles @ 10:04

Wednesday May 3rd
    Woke up and could barely swallow. Oh NOOOOOOOOOOO, I can’t get sick! Not now, pleeeeeease! I never hardly get sick and really don’t have time for this with only 2 months to go! My rhr was up just a few beats, but nothing crazy, but my tonsil was swollen and it was sore to swallow. I took some Ibuprofen and gargled on and off all day with salt and boiling water (cooled of course ;)) and prayed to the running gods to spare me from The Lurgy! Energy levels were maybe a little bit down and hayfever driving me mental today (related?), but didn’t really feel sick as such.
    Rest and worry!

Thursday May
    am: 10.5 miles @ 10:23
    Swelling gone down a lot this morning. I had my first run date of the year, and really didn’t want to cancel, so thought I’d do a few miles as easy as possible and just stop if not feeling great. Did a few recovery miles on my own first and then met up with Boards legend, Younganne at the Acres! She had very kindly agreed to run some lops with me. I was feeling grand once I was running. We had a cracking chat and I even got some super tips about taking 'comfort stops' on the Acres :D, so a very worthwhile trip indeed! Thanks again, A! Let’s do it again soon!
    pm: 6.8 miles @ 10:05
    On me tod back home and feeling a lot better this evening.

Friday May 5th
    pm: 10 miles @ 10:17
    Post work run. Feeling a little bit ‘off’ still and very tired, but not really sick.

Saturday May 6th
    am: 15.2 miles @ 10:11
    Running 24 hour effort by feel, ignoring the watch. A tad ‘fast’. We’ve decided this year that I’ll go out at a slightly slower pace in Belfast than last year, and should hopefully be able to hold it for longer this year if the stomach plays ball. Arm sore on this run.
    pm: 10 miles @ 10:09
    Extremely tired on this run.

Sunday May 7th
    am: 12.3 miles @ 10:16
    Very tired still despite sleeping fairly well, and arm still sore. I found a good stretch on the net and the boss man gave me some other relief techniques to use for the arm which are working a treat and I noticed huge improvements fairly quickly.
    pm: Decided to drop the evening run. I’m still not over whatever lurgy I had earlier in the week and have been stupidly ignoring that fact and carrying on as if nothing was wrong. Dumb. A low enough mileage week, but considering it’s over 5 days, it ain’t too bad.

Weekly total: 90 miles 15hrs 18 mins

Monday May 8th and Tuesday May 9th
    Rest. Tonsil popped up again on Sunday night and was quite bad on Monday but a lot better on Tuesday. I coulda run Tuesday, but decided to take another day of complete rest and embarked on another programme of gargling with salt and water, drinking ginger and lemon water and resting, and even had a mini-nap in the afternoon.

Wednesday May 10th
    Woke after an epic sleep feeling good.
    am: 15 miles @ 10:15
    Took it very very easy to start, almost at walking effort, and gradually got into my stride. I was 100% ready to pull the plug if I started feeling woozy or dizzy or anyting, but I felt perfect. Was gonna push to 20, but thought better of it.
    pm: 12 miles @ 10 pace
    Another great run. Really feel back on track now. Got a shout out from Dub13 on this run who zoomed past me on a warm up for his track session in Clonliffee. Nice to finally meet you, if only quite briefly!

Thursday May 11th
    13 miles @ 10 pace
    Post work easy.

Friday May 12th
    12 miles @ 9:55

As above.

Saturday May 13th
    am: 10 miles @ 10:08
    The start of a crazy weekend. Got a last minute contract for work on Friday evening which had to be done for first thing Monday morning. I wanted to do a longer run this weekend, but no way could this happen now. Then I had to make an emergency trip to Kilkenny on Saturday night for family stuff, so between working, driving, lack of sleep and lots of stress and pressure, running had to take a bit of a back seat, but I squeezed in what I could over the weekend.
    pm: 12 miles @ 9:49

Sunday May 14th
    16 miles @ 9:53
    I was running on absolute empty for this one on Sunday evening after a crazy previous 24 hours. No sleep Saturday night as I was so wired, very little food as I was on the go all day, and had taken on very little water. I had used up the reserves in the tank, and probably should have dropped the running altogether, or done something a lot shorter, but really wanted to get a decent number of miles done for the week and bring it up to 90. OCD much? Probably a really dumb thing to do considering how fcuked I was, Anyways, maybe there's a bit of benefit to running when feeling this way as when I think there's nothing left, there is always a little something lurking under the surface that can be eeked out :)

Weekly total: 90.2 miles 15hrs 2 mins

Monday May 15th
    No sleep yet again. It was my birthday and I had planned to do some loops in Victoria Park in Belfast as my birthday treat, but I was like the waking dead I was so tired, so we just went for a pleasant walk there instead in the rain. I hadn't been there since the race last year and it brought back many many painful memories, but these were all pushed aside when I remembered that totally awesome feeling of crossing the 100 mile mark and finishing my race and how amazing that felt :D

Tuesday May 16th
    am: 10.7 miles @ 9:34
    2 pm's popped up in my inbox yesterday suggesting running dates! I'm feeling very popular all of a sudden!
    Some of this was with running date number one, Singer, who kindly joined me on my loops in the local park. A bit faster than normal for me, but we were just running along shooting the breeze in the lovely sunshine, and the pace naturally crept up a bit. Really enjoyable and he didn't complain once about running around in small circles at a much slower pace than he’s normally used to. A perfect running date! Thanks again, B, that was most enjoyable!
    Pm: 9.6 miles @ 9:34
    I’d had a few too many birthday drinks last night and actually felt more hungover on the evening run than I did on the morning one but for some strange reason, the pace was much quicker than my usual plodding for the same effort. Weird…

So, unfortunately, no super long run in the last fortnight. I didn’t really want to take the chance doing it in case I ended up aggravating the tonsil again and being out for maybe a week with it, so had to play things conservatively. The plan had been to do a 50 mile run as my longest training run, but now, it’s getting a little too close to race day to do it, and recover fully from it and get some more decent training done after it. So we’ve decided that I'll drop it altogether, and I’ll do a few shorter longer runs instead.
    I'm feeling very lucky getting away with the sickness like I did. It's the first tiny bit of disruption I've had all year and didn't impact things too much. I'm starting to feel a little bit excited about things now with only 6 weeks to go, but it is great to know, that if things do go pear-shaped between now and then for any reason, there's a 24 hour race in Listowel in the Autumn that I can target instead. It's always good to have a back-up plan!!!

Belated Happy Birthday ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

First of all happy birthday. Make sure you look after yourself - if that lurgy you caught is that virus that's going around, then it's a nasty one that can hang around for a while afterwards, so just pay attention to your energy levels. I love reading this log. I'm amazed at how you just keep going no matter what.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Was nice to meet you aswell. I am sure I will see more of you over the summer, it's a lovely park although I don't think I would be into doing as many loops as you.

• Advertisement

Happy Birthday Ososlo. Mind yourself. I'm looking forward to our next run. Let me know next time you're heading my way and I'll see if i can meet up!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Belated happy birthday, hope you are on the mend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

"Comfort Stops" :):):)

Wednesday 17th May
    10 miles @ 10:09
    Am going through another very poor patch of sleep. I lie there for hours, my body is physically wrecked, but my mind just won’t shut down. I’m not thinking or worrying about anything in particular, it just won’t bloody well switch off. Got up absolutely exhausted this morning yet again. Was very tired on this post work run and cut down from the planned 15 to 10.

I was planning on going 100% clean with the diet from after my birthday (yesterday) until after Belfast, but when I arrived in work today, there was a package for me with 2 huge bars of Lindt chocolate wrapped up, but with no note. Don’t have a clue who they’re from, but what’s a girl to do? My anonymous stalker must want me to put on a few lbs :) Took one bar home and fobbed half of it off on the oh, and will work on the other one tonight. Clean eating will have to wait until Friday!

Thursday 18th May
    14 miles easy @ 10:58
    Some ‘real’ sleep finally last night – proper, deep, dreamy, uninterrupted sleep. Yay!

Friday 19th May
    3.3 miles @ 10:29
    OMG I felt horrible on this run. The worst I’ve felt in ages. Breathing ridiculously laboured and legs didn’t wanna move at all. Curtailed it and was very depressed for the evening wondering what the hell was wrong with me.

Saturday 20th May
    am: 20 miles @ 10:04 (24hr effort)
    It all became quite clear what was wrong with me yesterday – women’s stuff – I won’t go into details. Anyways, felt ok starting out and things improved a lot as I went on and ended up enjoying it a lot.
    pm: 10 miles @ 10:07
    Slept for a few hours in the afternoon so felt rejuvenated and ready for another few miles. Keeping it all super easy. Legs felt great from morning run.

Sunday 21st May
    am: 12 miles @ 9:49
    pm: 10 miles @ 10:07
    Hit 2,000 miles for the year on this evening run, about 6 weeks earlier than last year. Couldn’t be happier with how things are going so far this year in preparation to this race. Never thought I’d be able to handle the mileage I’m doing this year which is way ahead of last year, without breaking – mentally or physically. I know it’s all slow, but as I said a few months back, working on speed was never part of the plan this year, as I feel I don’t need to be any ‘faster’ to do a lot better this year, but I do need to be far more resilient, and I really feel that due to the mileage, I am. However, I’m pretty sure that whatever way Belfast goes, I’m going to devote some time to working on speed after the race for a few months.

Weekly total: 100 miles 16hrs 36mins

Monday 22nd May
    Rest
    Had a run date organised but I had to cancel as I really needed a day off as feeling very tired, and have some work on at the moment, so needed to focus on that today too.

Tuesday 23rd May
    am: 10 miles @ 10:13
    pm: 10 miles @ 10:05

Wednesday 24th May
    am: 11.3 miles @ 10:27
    UGH. I’m useless in heat and one big worry for Belfast is if it’s hot, I’m done for. I just have to try and get used to it, so I went out at the warmest part of the day at 12 mid-day (the time the race starts) and forced myself to ‘run’ in it. My starting pace in Belfast will be a lot slower if it’s hot like today, so I went out with that strategy today. Didn’t really enjoy this much at all as it’s very exposed on the Acres but for the first time ever, I think, I actually welcomed the cooling breeze down one side. My legs got a bit sunburned on this run as I forgot to apply sunscreen to them, but the rest of me was fine. Packed it in earlier than planned and felt like a bit of a wuss for opting out, but maybe it’s better to slowly accliamatise to it rather than risk collapsing in it!
    pm: 10 miles @ 9:47
    Lovely lovely, just lovely. I went out at 8pm, and while it was still warm, it was very pleasant and it was getting cooler and cooler as the run went on. Loved every minute of this run and the park was lovely and quiet Bliss.

Well done on all the great mileage.

Definitely a good idea to slowly acclimatise to the heat and adapting the water strategy to getting enough without overloading, it can be a very fine balance but hopefully your tailwind should keep the salts & electrolytes balances in check!!!!

Getting my homework in (almost) on time for once!

Thursday 25th May
    6 miles @ 10:18

With my brother in my local park and off my usual beaten path as he hates running around in small loops. Roasting evening and pace ridiculously slow for the effort. There are a few little trails and interesting inclines and declines and other bits to the park which I haven't ventured near for probably a year now. Am happier sticking to my usual one mile path loops if I'm totally honest. Not sure if he enjoyed it all that much as it was so slow for him.

Friday 26th May
    8 miles @ 10:23

Tired and hot! Not loving this weather, at all! Need to get used to it though, just in case....

Saturday 27th May
    am: 20 miles @ 9:52

Loved, loved, loved this. The minute I stepped out the door, the heavens opened with a vengeance. It was laughable the rain was so heavy. I was in my shorts but did have a rain jacket on with a light top underneath as it was quite warm. There was no one in the park except a few runners. I haven't experienced rain like this for so long but it was exhilarating. The Clon Harriers were out (very small group compared to usual) and the 3 coaches told me I was 'one dedicated woman to be running in that' which gave me a nice boost. They really must wonder about me. Every time they're in the local park coaching, I'm there. Every single Tuesday and Thursday evening, and every single Saturday and Sunday morning, come hail rain or snow, there I am plodding around and around and around. I'm sure they wonder...
    3 American fellas stopped me at one point looking for the 'mall'. 2 hours later, they return from said mall and see me still running around in the thundering rain. They wanted to get some pictures with this crazy Irish woman, so had to stop and accommodate. They were heading off to Guns and Roses later that evening.
    The Park Ranger also stopped me and asked 'is it not a bit wet for you?' Haha, people just don't get it. Once you're wet, you're wet and it feels very liberating just aiming for the great big puddles rather than trying to avoid them. Great run and had to hold back on the pace a lot. 'Wet day' gear sorted for Belfast.
    pm: 10.2 miles @ 9:50
    8pm getting out for this. The rain had cleared up and it was a beautiful evening and the park was nice and quiet still.

Sunday 28th May
    am: 3 miles @ 12:36

Was with my sister. Not quite that slow as forgot to stop watch when she wanted to stop for a breather half way through.
    am: 7 miles easy @ 10:03
    Tired after not much sleep last night.
    pm: 8 miles easy @ 9:45
    Felt great on the evening run. Usually when I get back from the morning run, I feel very tired and just want to sleep and legs feel a bit fatigued. However, once I'm a mile or two into the second run, I feel great and breathing is lovely and relaxed and pace much faster for same effort as morning run.

Weekly total: 104 miles 17hrs 34 mins

Usual AIS done before every single run and I really feel that this is what's holding me together and keeping me niggle free. I've been doing it for about 2 years now, religiously!!!

Delighted with that week and how I am feeling. Yes I am tired a lot of the time, but it's a good healthy tiredness and in general I feel super. Sleep could be better but it is what it is. I try not to stress about it and once I'm lying down relaxing for 7-8 hours, it's doing me some good, even if I'm not actually asleep for a lot of it.
    I started on a new clean eating regime which lasted very well until last night when I lost the plot and ate a ridiculous amount of crap. Goal weight for race day is 8stone 4-5lbs and I'm still a few pounds off but I have a month to get there sensibly without starving myself. It'll be hard during taper though, although maybe it won't as I won't be expending half as much energy. So, no more anon chocolate packages in the post, hopefully ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭jd

Saturday 27th May
    am: 20 miles @ 9:52

Loved, loved, loved this. The minute I stepped out the door, the heavens opened with a vengeance. It was laughable the rain was so heavy.
    You need a better weather forecaster
    https://twitter.com/cs15/status/868466291438481409

Another cracking week A :)

Love the running in the rain and pictures with the yanks story :)

Do you use Tailwind for your long runs only or have you been practicing on your shorter runs also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Ososlo wrote:
    Once you're wet, you're wet and it feels very liberating just aiming for the great big puddles rather than trying to avoid them.

What's not to like about nature's own free water cooling system? Another good week down. Not long now!!

Do you use Tailwind for your long runs only or have you been practicing on your shorter runs also?

Hey, S! I use it on all the long runs over 20 miles, and a few times a week on the shorter run, not 'cause I feel I need it, but really just to get used to holding the bottle in the hand-held holder I have, as I plan on sipping it throughout the race so want it to feel like second-nature to have it in my hand at all times.

Monday 29th May
    Rest

Tuesday 30th May
    Took the morning off also to give the legs a 48 hour break.
    pm: 15 miles easy @ 9:52
    Legs felt lovely and fresh.

Wednesday 31st May
    10 miles @ 9:51

Post work, extremely tired on this run and I didn’t want to go out if I’m very honest. The lure of the couch was very strong, however, my stubbornness won out in the end.

May Monthly Total:
    410 miles

A bit down on the last 3 months due to taking 2 days off with swollen tonsil, and being a bit careful around that time not to make things worse so cut back the miles a bit. Not complaining one little bit as I am overjoyed to get to this point pretty much unscathed and am extremely grateful to the running gods for that.

Thursday 1st June
    am: 10 miles @ 10:13

OMFG I was SO tired. Set out to do 20, but not a chance. Well, I could have if I had had to, but I really didn’t want to.
    pm: 10 miles @ 9:48
    Funnily enough, I felt better running at a slighted faster pace than plodding so put in a little more effort for the latter few miles.

Friday 2nd June
    6.5 @ 10:13

Yep, still tired so cut it short. Sleep crappy and very disturbed when I am asleep. Discussed it with the boss who advised to back off and be careful I'm not digging myself in a fatigued hole.

Saturday 3rd June
    am: 20 miles @ 10:15
    (24hr effort)
    Original plan for today was 30 mile LSR and last one before the big day, but was advised to cut it down due to fatigue and just do 2 hours instead (12ish miles). However, I felt really good this morning and the fatigue had definitely lifted, so I opted for 20 and hoped I wouldn't get into trouble. I kept the effort extremely easy. Great run and practiced my race day outfit. Tried eating a few bits like jellies and pretzels too and that worked out great. There was a tiny hint of a stitch at one point after a few pretzels, but I dropped the pace to almost walking effort, and it abated after a half mile or so. Tailwind went down a treat too. Lots of athletic activity in my park today with the Harriers doing their sessions, and the presence of pro athletes in the shape of Mick Clohisey and Sean Hehir doing laps in the other direction!
    Left the watch on when I went for a pee at mile 14 and timed it @ 2 minutes! That's a hell of a lot of time to be 'leaking':eek: every time I need to go! No way around it... just have to deal with it and factor it into the plan as I'll be sipping Tailwind throughout.
    pm: 8.6 @ 10:03
    Feeling good tonight and had a 1 hour nap in the middle of the day so batteries felt nicely recharged. Lovely evening out.

Sunday 3rd June
    am:
    10 miles @ 10:08
    Legs felt like I hadn't even run after the 28+ yesterday! Not even a hint of tiredness in them.
    pm: 9.8 miles @ 10:15

Weekly total:
    100 miles  16hrs 51 mins

Will start a very gradual taper from next week. I'll do a longer taper than last year as my mileage is much higher. 

This time in 4 weeks, I hope to be very drunk  :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement