Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Be still my beating heart

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Friday 28 February
    3 miles extra easy recovery effort - 11:13min/mile

Conscious that this is my 6th day running in a row and just back from injury I kept it oh so very slow. Maybe I should be taking full days off running due to recent injury, I'm not sure... but as Gavlor would say "time will tell".
    Lovely starry starry night out there. It's so good to be healthy, happy and able to enjoy it.

February review:
    117 miles (very low but no big surprises there!)
    20 days running out of 28 (as above)
    4 sessions
    1 injury
    New skill acquired - AIS routine (best discovery made in a long time)
    10 nights of 7+ hours of sleep with majority of rest being 2 and 3 hours a night.

So not too bad a month all in all but need to get this sleeping thing dealt with soon as it's starting to affect my work life. I can't keep bailing from work like I've been doing lately or I'll lose my jobs!!!

Been on macca powder for over a month and it hasn't helped. Got myself some valerian today so I'll give that a shot for March. Looked into sleep therapy and hypnosis today and surprise surprise it's an expensive business but maybe I'll need to go down that road. Sorry for the boring sleep bits but the more I read about it the more I discover how darn important good sleep it is to athletic performance and recovery so wish I could get this right. So if I'm boring you to tears then apologies but I guess no one has to read :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Ososlo wrote: »
    Friday 28 February
    3 miles extra easy recovery effort - 11:13min/mile

Conscious that this is my 6th day running in a row and just back from injury I kept it oh so very slow. Maybe I should be taking full days off running due to recent injury, I'm not sure... but as Gavlor would say "time will tell".
    Lovely starry starry night out there. It's so good to be healthy, happy and able to enjoy it.

February review:
    117 miles (very low but no big surprises there!)
    20 days running out of 28 (as above)
    4 sessions
    1 injury
    New skill acquired - AIS routine (best discovery made in a long time)
    10 nights of 7+ hours of sleep with majority of rest being 2 and 3 hours a night.

So not too bad a month all in all but need to get this sleeping thing dealt with soon as it's starting to affect my work life. I can't keep bailing from work like I've been doing lately or I'll lose my jobs!!!

Been on macca powder for over a month and it hasn't helped. Got myself some valerian today so I'll give that a shot for March. Looked into sleep therapy and hypnosis today and surprise surprise it's an expensive business but maybe I'll need to go down that road. Sorry for the boring sleep bits but the more I read about it the more I discover how darn important good sleep it is to athletic performance and recovery so wish I could get this right. So if I'm boring you to tears then apologies but I guess no one has to read :P
    A good month and a lot learnt. Honestly I would explore everything to try and improve the sleep, sleep depravation is the worst form of torture( I know I had 3 bad sleepers in a row:eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

Good luck with getting the sleep issues sorted - I have no idea how you get so much done on the patchy sleep you've been getting, but you're probably right about it being time to explore what you can do about it.

I was just reading this and it reminded me of your log. It's actually a bit of a rubbish article on meditation, but some of the comments underneath on the different tactics various people have for emptying their minds and getting away from technology and work are perceptive. If sitting quietly is too WOOOO for you, maybe you could try restorative yoga or something like that before bed, maybe even just try the AIS that you've now got down to a T late in the the evening. Anything where you're tuned in to your breathing and concentrating on what you're doing and how it feels rather than on past events and future plans.

As a runner, you're really good at tuning in to what helps you and what hurts you, and you're really good at making time for your runs and your rehab/prehab exercises even when you're busy. Maybe you can transfer some of those skills and that discipline over and work out what works for you. Write stuff down rather than having it bounce around your head? Avoid screens before bedtime? Some kind of wind-down routine? If it seems like a drag, telling yourself you're doing it to run better might help more than telling yourself it will boost your performance at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Hey there Ososlo

Been following your sleep issues with interest. I too am a pretty dysfunctional sleeper. In fact it wouldn't be unusual for me to go on a lengthy streak of getting 3 - 4 hrs sleep per night, if only I could get that consistency into my running streaks :D

Anyway, here's my totally unqualified, and pretty contrarian advice: stop worrying about it!

I would even go so far as to say stop trying to find solutions. I believe that the more you stress about it the worse the situation becomes, and the cycle of stress/sleep deprivation/stress just becomes a pretty horrible downward spiral.

I suggest a good start is to accept it for what it is. Tell yourself that you are leading a healthy, balanced life with a good mix of work, exercise, nutrition, good friends, physical and mental stimulation etc. etc. (you can complete your own version) and that sleep will come when your body needs it to come. In other words that there are enough good things in your life to make you resilient enough to less sleep, maybe you are even designed to cope with less sleep than the average person.

My experience is that this approach sometimes helps you sleep better and sometimes helps you sleep more, and sometimes it has no impact. But for sure if you can take the stress out of the situation, it stops the sleep issues invading your life, and then it just doesn't matter as much.

Sleep will come when it comes, because it always does!

Good luck with getting the sleep issues sorted - I have no idea how you get so much done on the patchy sleep you've been getting, but you're probably right about it being time to explore what you can do about it.

I was just reading this and it reminded me of your log. It's actually a bit of a rubbish article on meditation, but some of the comments underneath on the different tactics various people have for emptying their minds and getting away from technology and work are perceptive. If sitting quietly is too WOOOO for you, maybe you could try restorative yoga or something like that before bed, maybe even just try the AIS that you've now got down to a T late in the the evening. Anything where you're tuned in to your breathing and concentrating on what you're doing and how it feels rather than on past events and future plans.

As a runner, you're really good at tuning in to what helps you and what hurts you, and you're really good at making time for your runs and your rehab/prehab exercises even when you're busy. Maybe you can transfer some of those skills and that discipline over and work out what works for you. Write stuff down rather than having it bounce around your head? Avoid screens before bedtime? Some kind of wind-down routine? If it seems like a drag, telling yourself you're doing it to run better might help more than telling yourself it will boost your performance at work.
    thanks for taking the time bambergbike :)
    Some good suggestions for relaxing, much appreciated.
    I read for about an hour before going to sleep each night. I am actually really relaxed going to bed every night and my heart rate is the lowest it is all day for the hours before bedtime, under 50bpm which is low for me. I drift off to sleep no problem after reading. The problems arise with waking up about 1.5 hours after I fall asleep for whatever reason. And yes there are a billion thoughts going around in my head when I wake up and I feel totally wired so might try your suggestion of writing them down. Should make for interesting reading the next day:D
    Thanks again. Plenty to think about in your post.

wrstan wrote: »
    Hey there Ososlo

Been following your sleep issues with interest. I too am a pretty dysfunctional sleeper. In fact it wouldn't be unusual for me to go on a lengthy streak of getting 3 - 4 hrs sleep per night, if only I could get that consistency into my running streaks :D

Anyway, here's my totally unqualified, and pretty contrarian advice: stop worrying about it!

I would even go so far as to say stop trying to find solutions. I believe that the more you stress about it the worse the situation becomes, and the cycle of stress/sleep deprivation/stress just becomes a pretty horrible downward spiral.

I suggest a good start is to accept it for what it is. Tell yourself that you are leading a healthy, balanced life with a good mix of work, exercise, nutrition, good friends, physical and mental stimulation etc. etc. (you can complete your own version) and that sleep will come when your body needs it to come. In other words that there are enough good things in your life to make you resilient enough to less sleep, maybe you are even designed to cope with less sleep than the average person.

My experience is that this approach sometimes helps you sleep better and sometimes helps you sleep more, and sometimes it has no impact. But for sure if you can take the stress out of the situation, it stops the sleep issues invading your life, and then it just doesn't matter as much.

Sleep will come when it comes, because it always does!

Yeah a lot to be said for what you're saying and I too am usually of the mind that worrying about it makes it worse. However, I'm not functioning well lately with it and need to find something that will help me as it's at a chronic stage. I can go for about 4-5 nights of cr1p sleep (2-3 hrs) and function fine, however it starts to really get to me after the 5th night and starts affecting my daily life. I'm starting to make errors in my work that I can't get away due to the nature of what I do for a living, so it's having a very negative impact on me lately and I really need to find a solution. I've suffered with it all my life but this particularly bad patch has been going on now for 2 months and there's no sign of it improving.
    Thanks and I will try to worry less about it whilst trying to find a solution:) I think I'm talking rubbish now and contradicting myself:o I'm tired:(

When you wake after your 2 hours sleep do you lie there tossing and turning or get up? My sister was a terrible sleeper( pregnant now, that cured her) but I know she always found it better to get up, read for a while and then got back to sleep quicker.

Saturday 1st March
    3.50 miles at easy effort - 10:31 min/mile

The body wanted to go slowly again today so I obeyed!
    Mentally shattered with this damn sleep thing (which I'll try talking about less going forward as I'm starting to bore myself!) and my shoulders and neck were very tired from working all day so a run was just the ticket to loosen everything out. Didn't think I'd have the time to get out at all so delighted to get away from my work and my thoughts. Could have run for hours today but no time for that.
    Hope to do something longer tomorrow, maybe 8-10 miles as long as there are no complaints from the glute etc.
    Can't wait:D

SamforMayo wrote: »
    When you wake after your 2 hours sleep do you lie there tossing and turning or get up? My sister was a terrible sleeper( pregnant now, that cured her) but I know she always found it better to get up, read for a while and then got back to sleep quicker.

I spend maybe an hour lying there trying to get back to sleep whilst staying in 'sleepy mode':D and when that doesn't work I read in bed, sometimes for hours and hours and hours..... No I never get up. Maybe I should try that.

I should move my log to the Sleeping Logs:D if there is such a thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I should move my log to the Sleeping Logs:D if there is such a thing!

And if you could then sleep like a log there wouldn't be a problem ;)

yaboya1 wrote: »
    And if you could then sleep like a log there wouldn't be a problem ;)

:D

Sunday 2nd February
    8.31 miles at 10:06 min/mile

Very sore and stiff neck and shoulders from long day of work yesterday so did the full Wharton AIS routine and did the bits for upper body a few times and feel they are really helping me. Had another long day of work today so did some more of the exercises intermittently throughout the day any time I took a short break.

Wanted to go a bit longer today to build back up the longer weekend run so had in mind about 8-9 miles as long as no trouble from the glute and I must say everything felt FABULOUS:D

Started really slowly and to break up the monotony of the plodding I decided to pick it up from miles 5-8 to 9.30 min/mile, so a bit more effort than easy but certainly nothing taxing. No complaints from the body so am delighted! Work beckoned at the 8 mile mark so had to call it a day but there would have been no problem in the world extending this run to 10+ miles.
    Really feel I'm back on track now and looking forward to doing some speed work again next week;)

35 miles for the week so almost back to where I was!

Good all feels well, are you abandoning the hills for now? Did you pick a new target race?

Good all feels well, are you abandoning the hills for now? Did you pick a new target race?

Thanks.
    Yes I'll stay on the flat for a while. My bum will thank me for that knowledge I'm sure:D
    Starting an exciting 5k 15 week training plan this week with lots of new types of training I haven't done before over the weeks. All with a view to a target 5k race in June with maybe some tune-up races in the meantime.

Looking forward to following that, are you sure 15 weeks is enough?????:rolleyes: (only joking)

• Advertisement

Looking forward to following that, are you sure 15 weeks is enough?????:rolleyes: (only joking)

ha ha when you're as slow as me you need all the weeks you can get:P

ha ha when you're as slow as
    I think all you really need is a good confidence boosting race. Any 10 km or HM s targeted?

ha ha when you're as slow as
    I think all you really need is a good confidence boosting race. Any 10 km or HM s targeted?

just concentrating on getting faster over 5k distance first. No 10k or HMs planned yet but probably in the summer/autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Good to see you back in the groove. Must have a proper look at that AIS routine. Seems to be working well for you.

Monday 3 March
    am
    45 mins at easy effort. Pace=:confused:

Fabulous sunny morning. Out with the shorts and teeshirt only to discover my tan (fake) goes from ankle to knee and then stops:o Couldn't go out with a 2-tone leg so that was a shame... Nice to run with some real sunshine for a change.

pm
    45 mins at easy effort. Pace=:confused:
    Nice little trot around my area. Think I might have spotted a fellow boardsie who I know lives in the area and I saw a pic of him on his blog but don't wanna be accused of being a stalker so kept schtum;) He was going at a nice pace and overtook me handily;)

Tomorrow is my first session since I started back after injury so I can't wait for that. There'll be a lot less paces being recorded from now on as I've been advised not to wear the watch at all:eek: That might be one step too far for me at the moment but I'm going to at least just display time and distance and not upload the stats on a daily basis. Maybe like once a week or something.
    My training has been Stazzadvised :)
    There are some fun but complicated looking sessions on the plan so I might need to bring notes with me:D I'm very excited!
    8+ miles for the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

was he good looking? that would rule a lot of suspects out....

statss wrote: »
    was he good looking? that would rule a lot of suspects out....

He would be of a very pleasant disposition I would say

On a totally un running related topic why did you only fake tan half your leg?

On a totally un running related topic why did you only fake tan half your leg?

:D:D LOL
    Well you see, I normally wear running bottoms that come to the knee so only have to have from the knee down tanned. It's too costly to tan the whole leg! There's a recession on you know!

:D:D LOL
    Well you see, I normally wear running bottoms that come to the knee so only have to have from the knee down tanned. It's too costly to tan the whole leg! There's a recession on you know!
    Ah the recession! I believe it over in Dublin according to the news so as the weather improves you might be able to extend the tanning:D

Ah the recession! I believe it over in Dublin according to the news so as the weather improves you might be able to extend the tanning:D
    Ah great news. I hadn't heard that. We'll have full leg coverage for Spring so:D I might even extend it to both legs:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

He would be of a very pleasant disposition I would say

Well that's put a nail in my coffin I guess...!

belcarra wrote: »
    Well that's put a nail in my coffin I guess...!

7:15pm or so, just past Crowne Plaza going in direction of Ballymun gate? If so, great calf muscles:)

7:15pm or so, just past Crowne Plaza going in direction of Ballymun gate? If so, great calf muscles:)

Sounds about right, especially the calf muscles bit!:pac::o

Sounds about right, especially the calf muscles bit!:pac::o

ha ha yeah well jealous of those ultra-defined calfs!!!!!!

Blonde ponytail, purple top, going very slowly:o
    I'll say hi next time (if I can keep up with you!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

ha ha yeah well jealous of those ultra-defined calfs!!!!!!

Blonde ponytail, purple top, going very slowly:o
    I'll say hi next time (if I can keep up with you!)

get a room you two. I believe the Crowne Plaza is nice ;)

PaulieC wrote: »
    get a room you two. I believe the Crowne Plaza is nice ;)

Go off & get a bit of calf definition, will ya Paulie!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Go off & get a bit of calf definition, will ya Paulie!:pac:

Calf definition, you suggesting that PC needs to appear more bovine :)

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

My training has been Stazzadvised :)

Between the AIS and seeing the runs with no pace recorded I didn't even have to get to this part to know you were following his guidance.

Great to see a good trend of people properly targetting 5k and not just running them as a stepping stone to something else.

Best of luck with the training

ecoli wrote: »
    Between the AIS and seeing the runs with no pace recorded I didn't even have to get to this part to know you were following his guidance.

Great to see a good trend of people properly targetting 5k and not just running them as a stepping stone to something else.

Best of luck with the training

thanks ecoli. Always just presumed I'd go for longer stuff as the speed just isn't there for shorter stuff, but I've never given it a really decent chance with a lengthy 5k training programme so who knows! Maybe there is something there that can be worked on with the right training. Haven't made up my mind about longer stuff (dcm etc) but if I'm enjoying this training and making gains I might just stick with 5-10ks for 2014.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

thanks ecoli. Always just presumed I'd go for longer stuff as the speed just isn't there for shorter stuff, but I've never given it a really decent chance with a lengthy 5k training programme so who knows! Maybe there is something there that can be worked on with the right training. Haven't made up my mind about longer stuff (dcm etc) but if I'm enjoying this training and making gains I might just stick with 5-10ks for 2014.

The ironic thing is despite this misconception 5k is a strength event so trust me will stand to you no matter where you decided to go from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

5k training - yay, welcome. Although, according to some around these parts, 100 mile weeks are a necessity!!

Cleanman wrote: »
    5k training - yay, welcome. Although, according to some around these parts, 100 mile weeks are a necessity!!

ha don't tempt me Cleanman. I'd happily run 100 miles a week if that's what it takes:eek: and the body allowed it!

Tuesday 4th March
    3 x (6x20 secs) at 2-3 mile effort w/5mins recovery between sets

This was a good gentle re-introduction to a bit of speed work without being taxing whilst ensuring all ok with the glute.
    AIS and foam rolling pre-run, particularly focusing on the glute exercises.

2.5 miles warm up.
    Found a nice quiet stretch in my local park for the 3 sets of reps. Ran the first 20 secs to the watch to get my 20 second marker. Jogged back and used the same marker for the 3 sets. Felt I was probably a bit slow for the first few as it's been a while since I've done anything faster and I was a wee bit concerned in case I re-awakened any twinges. But no! All good there:D

1.5 miles or so warm down and everything feels super. Did lots of foam rolling immediately I got home.
    Enjoyed this. Definitely didn't run the reps too fast. Too slow if anything I'd say! I could have done the whole workout again so maybe that's not a good sign:o
    Over an hour of a workout so 6+ miles for the day.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 5 March
    am
    35 mins recovery run

Delighted with myself that I ran 95% of this on grass and trail in my local park:D I HATE running on grass normally, but I think now that this is 'cause it just slows me down so much but now that I'm not clock watching, I just enjoyed it for what it was, a nice recovery tour around the park. Nicest recovery run I've ever done I think. Going to incorporate a grassy run into my weekly schedule for sure, especially when I can't get to the beach. AIS before the run. Foam roll after.

pm
    45 mins easy run

Working from home all week which I love but the temptation is always there to go for two runs to break up the day and it's a lovely way to get away from my work which can be taxing enough on the body. Being one never able to resist temptation I headed off again but kept it very easy.
    AIS before the run and a little foam rolling.

So next on the schedule is a progression run which I've never done before and it's to be done without the watch. I'll probably wear it but just display the time and run 10 mins easy and increase the effort each 10 mins. I won't know what pace I'm doing so I hope I don't go too easy on myself.
    Also starting the Myrtl routine tomorrow which I'll do before the progression run. Should be fun:D
    7+ miles for the day

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Is there a link to this AIS you are doing?

I'm not yet crazy enough to run twice in the same day thankfully!!

adrian522 wrote: »
    Is there a link to this AIS you are doing?

I'm not yet crazy enough to run twice in the same day thankfully!!

'yet' being the operative word adrian;)
    link in post below:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89172895&postcount=336

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Wednesday 5 March
    am
    35 mins recovery run

Delighted with myself that I ran 95% of this on grass and trail in my local park:D I HATE running on grass normally, but I think now that this is 'cause it just slows me down so much but now that I'm not clock watching, I just enjoyed it for what it was, a nice recovery tour around the park. Nicest recovery run I've ever done I think. Going to incorporate a grassy run into my weekly schedule for sure, especially when I can't get to the beach. AIS before the run. Foam roll after.

pm
    45 mins easy run

Working from home all week which I love but the temptation is always there to go for two runs to break up the day and it's a lovely way to get away from my work which can be taxing enough on the body. Being one never able to resist temptation I headed off again but kept it very easy.
    AIS before the run and a little foam rolling.

So next on the schedule is a progression run which I've never done before and it's to be done without the watch. I'll probably wear it but just display the time and run 10 mins easy and increase the effort each 10 mins. I won't know what pace I'm doing so I hope I don't go too easy on myself.
    Also starting the Myrtl routine tomorrow which I'll do before the progression run. Should be fun:D
    7+ miles for the day

Myrtl after the run.

Careful with those double rec runs. If you're going out twice, reduce the time to 2x35 min. That's more than enough. If you do too much on the recovery days, you'll find that your legs will start to play up and then from there, well, you'll be saying, 'Should of held back.' Always err on the side of caution...:)

Stazza wrote: »
    Myrtl after the run.

Careful with those double rec runs. If you're going out twice, reduce the time to 2x35 min. That's more than enough. If you do too much on the recovery days, you'll find that your legs will start to play up and then from there, well, you'll be saying, 'Should of held back.' Always err on the side of caution...:)

Second one wasn't a 'recovery' run though as I'd recovered from the morning run:p it was an 'easy' run. So should the 'recovery' last all day? I felt I needed a recovery run this morning but by this evening I felt great.

You have nt given up the running for lent so??? The Myrtl routine is so easy and less time consuming than the AIS.

• Advertisement

You have nt given up the running for lent so??? The Mrytle routine is so easy and less time consuming than the AIS.

no, not this year Sam:D
    Looking forward to trying the Myrtl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Looking forward to trying the Myrtl.

Sounds like a nice craft beer......hhmmmmm beeeeerrrr

Thursday 6th March
    40 min progression run

This was to be a 'medium effort' workout so start out slowly and gradually increase pace throughout. I wasn't quite sure what kind of effort I should be trying to build up to but I thought marathon effort would be about right after reading a bit about it. Maybe I should have gone faster.
    Covered the watch with tape that I couldn't get off no matter how desperate :o and nearly destroyed the screen in the process:rolleyes:
    Very slow start 'even easier than you think you should be going' I read in some article this morning so it was like recovery effort. I know where the mile markers are in my local park so just used the start of each mile to up the effort for the next mile. Very enjoyable really honing into how I was feeling and getting the effort right. Results surprisingly good:) Maybe I'm better at pacing myself than I think!
    Mile 1: 11:22
    Mile 2: 10:13
    Mile 3: 9:55
    Mile 4: 9:06
    If I'd been running with the watch I probably would have planned to run at 11, 10:30, 10, 9:30 so would have started out faster and ended slower. Interesting...
    A question: When doing a progression run would one normally just stop dead at the end or do a cooldown mile or two? I wasn't sure so just stopped dead.

Now I have to go looking at wedding dresses:mad: Not for myself I may add!
    Really not my thing but I guess sometimes one has to do one's duty. Maybe there'll be free champagne! Or does that just happen in the movies... The good news is that the place is right beside Amphibian King:) and it's late night opening! At least this sister had the good grace to ask me my racing plans for the rest of the year before booking the date! Not like another sister who planned hers right in the middle of DCM training last year:rolleyes: Plus, I don't have to wear any stupid bridesmaid stuff or do anything weddingy except be there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Thursday 6th March
    40 min progression run

This was to be a 'medium effort' workout so start out slowly and gradually increase pace throughout. I wasn't quite sure what kind of effort I should be trying to build up to but I thought marathon effort would be about right after reading a bit about it. Maybe I should have gone faster.
    Covered the watch with tape that I couldn't get off no matter how desperate :o and nearly destroyed the screen in the process:rolleyes:
    Very slow start 'even easier than you think you should be going' I read in some article this morning so it was like recovery effort. I know where the mile markers are in my local park so just used the start of each mile to up the effort for the next mile. Very enjoyable really honing into how I was feeling and getting the effort right. Results surprisingly good:) Maybe I'm better at pacing myself than I think!
    Mile 1: 11:22
    Mile 2: 10:13
    Mile 3: 9:55
    Mile 4: 9:06
    If I'd been running with the watch I probably would have planned to run at 11, 10:30, 10, 9:30 so would have started out faster and ended slower. Interesting...
    A question: When doing a progression run would one normally just stop dead at the end or do a cooldown mile or two? I wasn't sure so just stopped dead.

Now I have to go looking at wedding dresses:mad: Not for myself I may add!
    Really not my thing but I guess sometimes one has to do one's duty. Maybe there'll be free champagne! Or does that just happen in the movies... The good news is that the place is right beside Amphibian King:) and it's late night opening! At least this sister had the good grace to ask me my racing plans for the rest of the year before booking the date! Not like another sister who planned hers right in the middle of DCM training last year:rolleyes: Plus, I don't have to wear any stupid bridesmaid stuff or do anything weddingy except be there!

If I was doing any speed work, I would always do a cool down run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Defo do at least 10 mins ez after any workout. Well done - you see, that wasn't so bad, was it?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement