Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Be still my beating heart

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Are you back at physio tomorrow Ososlo? Im confused about this advice re planks, does it mean no planks( hope the answer is yes), I had a look at the link Stazza posted, I used to do a lot of those exercises at pilates class.

yip back in tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Ososlo wrote: »
    yip back in tomorrow.

Good luck, have fingers and toes crossed for you!

saucyjack wrote: »
    Chin Up Ososlo! Been following your training log for the last couple of weeks while I'm out with an injury and with your discipline in training and recovery you'll be back on top of your running in time :) If we ever go to war you're in charge :)

what's the injury saucyjack? sorry to hear that. hope you're back soon too. am too much of a pacifist to go to war ;) let alone lead us to war!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭saucyjack

what's the injury saucyjack? sorry to hear that.

Thanks for the sympathy Ososlo :) - it's just self inflicted runner's knee (PFPS). I out doing LSR two weekends back and 14 miles into it decided to turn up the pace way too much for my last two miles. Dunno why really I think it was just all those endorphoins/serotonin from running and I was thinking about DCM and how much I'll need to push myself to get the time I want. Anyway turned up the speed way too much for miles 15+16 which are uphill to and as soon as I cooled down knee hurt like a *******d and stayed that way for a few days Nothin. g to do but rest it for a couple of weeks which is very frustrating but has to be done. On the plus side over that 16m I easily managed my target DCM pace so blockic's plan has been paying off. On the downside got into the pool a few times to keep myself sane in the last couple of weeks and started to think hmmm...running....swimming...cycling? Running injuries could be a slippery slope into tri :eek:

Hope you're back on top form?

Stazza wrote: »
    This isn't medical advice or any other type of advice merely a fact. Foam rolling your ITB is pointless - waste of time and will cause more problems than it solves.
    The iliotibial tract (sometimes referred to as the ITB, is a ligament - it's avascular: this means rolling it is pointless). The nice pain you feel when you are rolling your ITB is where you hit fat pads. Working these fat pads will add to your problems: they will become inflamed.

Any physio or therapist that tells you to roll you ITB should be avoided at all costs.

Physio visit today:
    Physio : 'Your IT band is very tight along with your glute.'
    Me: 'Is there anything I can do to help it loosen myself?' (leading question)
    Physio: 'Do you have a foam roller?'
    Me: 'Yes'
    Physio: 'Foam rolling your IT band will really help to relieve any tightness. Just make sure not to roll over any bone area at knee, hip etc'
    :(
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Physio visit today:
    Physio : 'Your IT band is very tight along with your glute.'
    Me: 'Is there anything I can do to help it loosen myself?' (leading question)
    Physio: 'Do you have a foam roller?'
    Me: 'Yes'
    Physio: 'Foam rolling your IT band will really help to relieve any tightness. Just make sure not to roll over any bone area at knee, hip etc'
    :(
    :confused:
    God it's hard to know what to do! What were you advised regards running- rest or not? Have you pain now?

SamforMayo wrote: »
    God it's hard to know what to do! What were you advised regards running- rest or not? Have you pain now?

Running is ok as long as it's pain free. It wasn't completely pain free on Sunday and I've rested since then so I'll try again over the next few days but won't push anything unless it's 100%.
    Nope, no pain at all now. Slight bruised feeling at small areas at hip and glute and lower IT band.
    Have a feeling I just need a good rest to let things settle.
    I'll be back with a vengeance very soon:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Did the physio work on the area themselves?

It seems to be like anything with running there are conflicting views everywhere whether it be footwear, stretching, nutrition etc. that you can find arguments to back up polar opposite opinions.

Hope your back at it soon enough either way.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Did the physio work on the area themselves?

It seems to be like anything with running there are conflicting views everywhere whether it be footwear, stretching, nutrition etc. that you can find arguments to back up polar opposite opinions.

Hope your back at it soon enough either way.
    yep she worked on glute and hip and IT band but didn't hurt me as much as I would have liked. I have got a few reservations about her approach to be honest so I think I'll be on the market for someone new.

thanks yes I need to be back soon for everyone's sake:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

yep she worked on glute and hip and IT band but didn't hurt me as much as I would have liked. I have got a few reservations about her approach to be honest so I think I'll be on the market for someone new.

Yup having been down that route a couple of year ago it hurts a lot getting it worked on. Far worse than child birth apparently :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

With all due respect to stazza, would you be more comfortable following the advice of a trained sports therapist or a guy on the Internet with a great interest in running??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

I'd only go to a physio with a background in running to be honest.

statss wrote: »
    I'd only go to a physio with a background in running to be honest.

Agreed.
    I was made to believe that she has a background in running but it's becoming apparent to me that it might not be the case.
    As I said I'm on the lookout for someone new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I would recommend our own Ecoli very highly.

He never tells me to foam roll the IT band so he has passed stazza's first test ;)

Also I would say that I have very bad experience with Physiotherapists.
    I would only ever go to Sports therapists or Phyical therapists with an Injury.

Also Gavlor, I think Stazza is very qualified in this field to be giving advice....

menoscemo wrote: »
    I would recommend our own Ecoli very highly.

He never tells me to foam roll the IT band so he has passed stazza's first test ;)

Interesting to hear that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Posted up something similar on the Tri forum (I got lost I swear :P)
    ecoli wrote: »
    With regards the original advice you were given I would agree to not foam roll the ITB itself because simply put your wasting your time. The IT band is non contractile connective tissue so effectively you can't loosen muscle tightness in the tissue itself.

This does not mean you can't loosen the IT band through foam rolling however given that the TFL inserts into the Iliotibial tract meaning that muscle tightness here can have a direct impact on the IT band. Target the TFL and glute medius will yield great benefits for foam rolling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Target the TFL and glute medius will yield great benefits for foam rolling

Can you tell us mere mortals how to target these areas on a roller? I may as well be eating the fu*ckin thing with all the medical terminology. :D

Also I would say that I have very bad experience with Physiotherapists.
    I would only ever go to Sports therapists or Phyical therapists with an Injury.

Also Gavlor, I think Stazza is very qualified in this field to be giving advice....

In that case then please excuse my ignorance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Gavlor wrote: »
    With all due respect to stazza, would you be more comfortable following the advice of a trained sports therapist or a guy on the Internet with a great interest in running??

This is a valid point: I could be a 90 year old Granny messing around:D

But how about this chap? Certainly no Quack. If you trust him and want to learn some 'basics' then you might like this.

If you need more, then you could try this - I'll explain anything you don't understand.

Alternatively, go to a physio, spend 50 bucks for them to rub your butt and ITB and keep your fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Beef wrote: »
    Can you tell us mere mortals how to target these areas on a roller? I may as well be eating the fu*ckin thing with all the medical terminology. :D

Thats why I added links to the muscles in the OP, from here google is your friend :p

http://www.coreperformance.com/knowledge/movements/foam-roll-gluteus-medius.html

http://www.howcast.com/videos/513838-How-to-Foam-Roll-Your-TFL-Foam-Rolling

(probably better vids but I don't have access to youtube at the moment)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Thats why I added links to the muscles in the OP, from here google is your friend :p

http://www.coreperformance.com/knowledge/movements/foam-roll-gluteus-medius.html

Thanks for that - I'm in work also and half the bloody web is blocked so was hoping you'd do the leg work for me. :D

there are a lot of amatuer detectives on ths site and a lot of gossips :P. Maybe the man himself could confirm these suspicions of mine ;)

Edit: actually if you read his 'bedtime stories' you would know this yourself :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

You're bang on to be sceptical - I should've posted the reasons why with the evidence etc. My bad.:o

there are a lot of amatuer detectives on ths site and a lot of gossips :P. Maybe the man himself could confirm these suspicions of mine ;)

Edit: actually if you read his 'bedtime stories' you would know this yourself :pac:

I have, they're as crazy as the new testament, hence the scepticism :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Agreed.
    I was made to believe that she has a background in running but it's becoming apparent to me that it might not be the case.

Sorry to hear you are in the wars. Lots of good advice on here regarding what you should do but if you are looking for a new physio Mick Spillane in Clondalkin is very good. He's a runner and swimmer etc, done a few marathons & an ironman so knows what you need.

Best of luck with the recovery.

kit3 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you are in the wars. Lots of good advice on here regarding what you should do but if you are looking for a new physio Mick Spillane in Clondalkin is very good. He's a runner and swimmer etc, done a few marathons & an ironman so knows what you need.

Best of luck with the recovery.

thanks kit, everyone's been so kind with recommendations here and on pm. Much appreciated folks:D
    I'm going to let things settle a bit and see how I am over the next few days and take action then if necessary.
    Everything feeling pretty good at the moment but I think rest is key so will tread vey carefully. I really don't think this thing is any big deal, it just needs a bit of rest and correct handling regarding stretching etc.

Fab evening out so enjoy your running everyone and have one on me! A mile that is:D
    Watch this space

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Agreed.

I couldn't recommend Pearse Street Physio highly enough (Aidan Woods' place) I've been to several different Physios over the last couple of years..trying to find "the one" (in physio terms!) and the physios in this place are excellent.

RedRunner wrote: »
    I couldn't recommend Pearse Street Physio highly enough (Aidan Woods' place) I've been to several different Physios over the last couple of years..trying to find "the one" (in physio terms!) and the physios in this place are excellent.

Just goes to show, we are all different ;)
    This is the place that scared me off physiotherapists....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Pretty tasty looking.........roller !;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement