Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog doesn't play with other dogs anymore

• 31-12-2013 5:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭

On our walks, on the green, there's a good chance we'll meet other dogs and he's fine around them, he just doesn't play with them anymore.

He'll sniff and walk alongside them, but if the dog starts running around and wanting to play, he'll just ignore them.

There's a Husky he used to play with but he doesn't chase her, he just stands still watching her. And the dogs are usually desperate to play with him, is it the hyperness? He loves it when I chase him and loves running around with a squeaky toy, but no interest in dogs.

He's a Westie, and he's not afraid of them. There's a Husky, Labrador, Beagle, Yorkshire Terrier, doesn't matter the size, no play. He's 3 now, do dogs just grow out of it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

my dog used to go nuts playing with other dogs when out on walks. He grew out of it, and just doesnt bother with other dogs any more. Other dog still loves to play with other dogs. And actually the two little bitches that my old dog used to play with, wont play with my young dog any more either - guess its something they grow out of.
    Have you tried encouraging your dog to play with the other dogs - make little hushing noises, and run with him to get him 'excited' about playing? That works with my two sometimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

aonb wrote: »
    my dog used to go nuts playing with other dogs when out on walks. He grew out of it, and just doesnt bother with other dogs any more. Other dog still loves to play with other dogs. And actually the two little bitches that my old dog used to play with, wont play with my young dog any more either - guess its something they grow out of.
    Have you tried encouraging your dog to play with the other dogs - make little hushing noises, and run with him to get him 'excited' about playing? That works with my two sometimes

Yes, I try to get him all excited to get him in a playing mood, no success

Advertisement