Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just bought new Sony Smart tv- Help

• 31-12-2013 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Sony KDL42w653ABU

Hi there,

Its new years eve and I thought I could just auto tune the new tv.

Note to self: I should have got it professionally installed!

So the problem is it wont connect/autotune to the cable tv. The shop recommenced me to purchase a Hdmi to hdmi black series cable but it wont fit into the usb slot in the back of the UPC cable box. I have also tried a scart lead which worked for the old tv. Is there a special lead I should be using?

Any help on New years Eve would be much appreciated.

Mum of 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

3fetlar wrote: »
    Sony KDL42w653ABU

Hi there,

Its new years eve and I thought I could just auto tune the new tv.

Note to self: I should have got it professionally installed!

So the problem is it wont connect/autotune to the cable tv. The shop recommenced me to purchase a Hdmi to hdmi black series cable but it wont fit into the usb slot in the back of the UPC cable box. I have also tried a scart lead which worked for the old tv. Is there a special lead I should be using?

Any help on New years Eve would be much appreciated.

Mum of 3

Does the UPC box have a HDMI port? (it's different from USB) If not it won't work with a HDMI cable. You should be able to use the Scart lead you may just need to set the tv to av input. There shouldn't be any need to tune it. Check the remote for a source button and cycle through the inputs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 3fetlar

Hi,
    Thanks for replying!

Yes you are right it mustnt be a hdmi port. I am using the scart and I have the setting adjusted to av1 which allows me to watch normal tv but it wont autotune to cable.

Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭kirb42

Hi, 3fetlar.... hope this helps, I would imagine your channels are already stored in your upc set box, if you go to connected devices on your sony tv, then select which ever connection input port your upc box is connected to, ie. HDMI 1, HDMI 2, AVI, and so on... your channels should be viewable, in short, you are not tuning your tv in to these channels, rather using the tv as an external monitor... I think... hope I haven't confused matters for you....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

3fetlar wrote: »
    I am using the scart and I have the setting adjusted to av1 which allows me to watch normal tv but it wont autotune to cable.

Normal TV? What other kind are you expecting to get?

Whatever you are viewing with AV1 selected is coming from the device connected to the AV1 input on the TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭dubrov

I assume normal TV refers to the UPC analogue signal.

3fetlar, the UPC box tunes the cable channels. You just need to make sure that the TV is on the correct input.

Make sure the UPC box is on and connected to the TV (by scart).
    Then cycle through the inputs until you can see the digital picture. The button to cycle through the inputs will be called something like "AV" or "Source".

You then use the UPC remote to change channels

• Advertisement

dubrov wrote: »
    I assume normal TV refers to the UPC analogue signal.

Peter, the UPC box tunes the cable channels.

The analogue channels wouldn't be viewed via AV1.

Also, I know what a UPC box is.

In fairness, I was just trying to explain that the tuner in the UPC box as opposed to the one on the TV is used to decode the cable signal. Your first post indicated that you were trying to "autotune" the channels in the TV.

Also, try and be less snide when you come on here asking for help and someone tries to give it

Where do you see me asking for help?

My mistake :)

Thought you were the OP.
    Now I see where your post is coming from.

I've updated the original post to address the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 3fetlar

Hi Dubrov,

Sorry there must have been some confusion .Thank you all for your help. I'm going up to currys now to have a chat with them.
    Thanks again all. I should never have bought a smart tv lol

x

• Advertisement
Advertisement