Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help for 1st time college applicant. Mature student.

Options
  • 31-12-2013 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone. I'm 29 years old. I dropped out of school in fifth year and never sat my Leaving Cert. I've been working since then. Falling into jobs as they came along. Some good some bad. I even got the chance to work abroad for a few years. I've been home for nearly a year now and i haven't been able to get work so I've decided I want to go to college but I don't know what I need to do.

I've been told that I don't need to apply through the CAO because I don't have any exam results but others have told me that some colleges only accept applications through the CAO. I also don't know what to study or where to study. I'd like to do something with computers and technology. Is there one all round course that deals with all aspects or can i do more than one? Are all colleges as good or is should i go to a specific one?

Any advice you can give me is much appreciated
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Most colleges, you have to apply through the CAO, even if the mature route.

In my opinion, seeing as you're not really sure what you want to do, you should spend some time looking up courses on college websites. All would have their prospectus online. YOu can also request a hard copy. Look through the courses, see what modules you can do and take it from there.

No-one here can tell you what course you should do.
    Look at the modules, see what interests you. Find out what career paths you can take afterwards.
    See if any college have open days in the coming months (I think most are usually before Christmas).
    Email the course co-ordinators with specfic questions or speak to people already doing or that have completed the course.
    Look on the internet for information about the course.
    This will help you decide.

Also, have a look at PLC courses and access courses. These are also stepping stones to advance to third level education. With being out of school for a while and not sitting any formal examinations, these might be structured better for you but can lead onto 3rd level entry.

Advertisement