Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talk to a funeral director here about the stages of the funeral

Options
  • 31-12-2013 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hello folks,

Im here to answer any questions you may have relating to bereavement. From when someone is ill and you know your going to have to make that call. To when someone passes away and what you need to do if its a house death, nursing home death or hospital. Meeting your funeral director. Organising clothes for your loved one. Choosing a day or days for the removal or funeral. If u wish to have a one day funeral instead of a removal to church the night before you could have a repose at home or funeral home if applicable. Organise which church and if burial or cremation will take place and where. Choosing what flowers you would like and if a soloist and organist harpist ect are required and finally choosing a coffin for your loved one.

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Hi all - as background to this thread we were contacted by a fellow Mod who has had to deal with the repatriation of a deceased friend. Based on this experience he asked that we allow this thread to help those of us who may be in a similar situation and just don't know where to start in the whole process (repatriation or not).

If anyone has any questions they would like to ask paulbolg above please feel free to do so here.

As always though please do not ask for referrals to a business or service, advertising is strictly prohibited and we have the Talk To forum for all such direct correspondence with companies that have sought to avail or offer such a service. Similarly asking someone to PM you is not permitted. If we see a trend of charter breaches here we will have no choice but to close this thread and so would ask for the sake of all contributors/posters to please ensure you only post in line with our charter.

Thanks
    Taltos

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

In my case it was a hospice death so I knew it was coming. She passed in the early hours of Tuesday morning. 5 hours later I rang the undertakers.
    One hour later a lady was at my door with a range of options from removal / flowers / church music / type of coffin / burial or cremation etc. It was a bit like choosing a meal in a restaurant. But done with great kindness and efficiency.
    The costs were totted up and I was given an estimate. After that they took over everything and she acted as my liasion in case I changed my mind about anything over the next two days. My mum was cremated on the Thursday. They looked after the announcement in the paper. The ashes were returned to me a week later.
    So in my experience it was one phone call and a twenty minute meeting.
    I happen to live in city centre Dublin and the undertakers are a large well known outfit. So everything - church, crematorium etc. were pretty close together. Things may vary depending on location - I don't know.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

paulbolg, while your post appears to be well-intentioned and that this thread could become a great resource for people at a difficult time, I'm going to lock it for the time being. It can be re-opened after you contact the guys in the office just to verify your credentials. They can be contacted at reps@boards.ie

Please don't take this as an insult in any way, but I'm sure you'll appreciate that given the sensitivity of the subject we have to take some precautions to look after the interests of our posters.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement