Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New registration for jet skis and boats coming in the new year

• 31-12-2013 7:41pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I agree with this as I have seen some dangerous driving by buoy racers :eek: but are we becoming more of a police state is this just another way to squeeze more money out of us it will be interesting to see how well it will be enforced and I hope I don't have to put big letters down the side of my boat :cool:.

Happy New Year to you all, I hope to catch some waves with some of you in 2014 :D

988368_4279482283633_1648245713_n.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

You'll have to have a sticker on the back with a reg number afaik. This was in last year - at least for bigger boats I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

It'll be like Australia soon, if it moves it has a reg, jetskis, wheelchairs, car trailers, mowers, you name it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

Where did you hear this Fergal? I've been googling and can't find it anywhere.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Yawlboy wrote: »
    Where did you hear this Fergal? I've been googling and can't find it anywhere.

It was in the sunday times on the 22 of december and also posted on Afloat, You might be able to see it here.http://www.powerboat.ie/forums/topic/6688-new-registration-for-jetskis-coming-in-the-new-year/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

some more info here from the angling forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057114887

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Ah fooook it lads, every single hobby I ever even consider taking up seems to have the government hot on it's trail. I was just thinking of getting myself a jetski or even just a small RIB, because I'm tired of being miserable hearing about the bondholders and property tax every day. It has been the same with many other hobbies I considered taking up in the past

Wild camping
    Hunting
    Cars with a few more horsepower than usual
    Quad biking

and also several others I can't think of at the minute, all bogged down with regulation. Its like the government just want everyone to sit at home and buy virtual goods online, certainly not use anything with an engine anyway.

First you'll have to register it, then it will need to be EU type approved, then a form of NCT will be brought in, no modifications allowed, more safety regulations brought in, eventually you'll only be allowed a driverless Google jetski with a canopy over it.

"Mad yokes" who take the piss and go out and kill themselves on a jetski will be blamed, but really its the government just wanting more tax. Feck it maybe I should just move to a country where things are a little more Borat

Just had a look at the powerboating forum and see all the all the lads clamouring for bans and mandatory insurance. So just like a car you will spend at least as much on compliance with the law as you do on the thing itself.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I feel registration is a good thing it will help with been able to contact a boat owner if their boat is in trouble or stolen and if you are acting in an unsafe way people will know who you are. we have huge amounts of open water so there is no need to be bothering others that want to use their boat for a quite relaxing trip while you want to rip it up, I have days when I want to do both :) As for insurance 100% agree you should have it on any high powered craft that can cause danger to other water users be them swimmers or boaters unless you have the funds to pay for medical treatment for the rest of their lives.
    As for how much it will cost and who will police it that will be interesting,my other boats were registered with WI and that was free with a nice welcome pack to the waterways from people that know the water where I feel this may be run by people sitting behind a desk who have never been on the water, we shall wait and see.

Remember accidents do happen :eek:

PWC4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

fergal.b wrote: »
    I feel registration is a good thing it will help with been able to contact a boat owner if their boat is in trouble or stolen and if you are acting in an unsafe way people will know who you are. we have huge amounts of open water so there is no need to be bothering others that want to use their boat for a quite relaxing trip while you want to rip it up, I have days when I want to do both :) As for insurance 100% agree you should have it on any high powered craft that can cause danger to other water users be them swimmers or boaters unless you have the funds to pay for medical treatment for the rest of their lives.
    As for how much it will cost and who will police it that will be interesting,my other boats were registered with WI and that was free with a nice welcome pack to the waterways from people that know the water where I feel this may be run by people sitting behind a desk who have never been on the water, we shall wait and see.

Remember accidents do happen :eek:

PWC4.jpg

Registration will open the door to all sorts of invasive laws, I just hope people don't shoot themselves in the foot clamouring for this sort of regulation that won't make an already expensive hobby any cheaper, just because of a few muppets tearing around on jet skis.

If everyone had their own medical cover then insurance wouldn't be a problem, the way that you can be made liable to pay for someone to be kept on life support with a full time carer their whole life if you are deemed to have anything to do with the causing of it is what creates such a lucrative market for insurance companies.

I'm only a pure n00b just looking to get into a bit of boating, but it would be a shame if this goes the way of car ownership, buy a car for 1000 quid then spend as much on tax and insurance

Advertisement