Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time new PC build Budget €500

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Found a discount code as well €10 off for new customers(on phone will post it up in the morning)
    Is Bank Transfer still the best way to pay ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

yabadabado wrote: »
    Found a discount code as well €10 off for new customers(on phone will post it up in the morning)
    Is Bank Transfer still the best way to pay ?

I think it is the only way from Ireland, not sure Paypal is possible from here.

marco_polo wrote: »
    I think it is the only way from Ireland, not sure Paypal is possible from here.
    paypal used to be possible but had 3% charge iirc.

BTW what do you think of the build I posted up ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

paypal used to be possible but had 3% charge iirc.

BTW what do you think of the build I posted up ?

I though there was a post a few week ago where somebody said they wouldn't accept it from Ireland, I could be wrong or misremembering though. Build looks absolutely fine a slightly better case likle the 200r is much nicer to work with so I wouldn't be worry about spending a extra few quid there if you can.

marco_polo wrote: »
    I though there was a post a few week ago where somebody said they wouldn't accept it from Ireland, I could be wrong or misremembering though. Build looks absolutely fine a slightly better case likle the 200r is much nicer to work with so I wouldn't be worry about spending a extra few quid there if you can.
    Could have been mentioned alright,I don't mind paying by transfer anyways.

Cheers for the help/advice really appreciate it.Be ordering that set up in the morning.
    Building it myself ,did a few with a mate before but am looking forward to doing it solo this time.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Garfin

The monitor LG Flatron 22EA53VQ-P is out of stock till next week it is costing €116.00 with the discount is it worth holding on for or are there other monitors of comparable spec and quality for the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

How long before 8gb of RAM is not enough. 3 years maybe. i remember when 8mb of RAM was loads (circa. 1992) . Go for 16gb, and save yourself throwing out the 2 x 4gbs in a few years .

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Slksht

bmm wrote: »
    How long before 8gb of RAM is not enough. 3 years maybe. i remember when 8mb of RAM was loads (circa. 1992) . Go for 16gb, and save yourself throwing out the 2 x 4gbs in a few years .

No, wait until it's not enough then buy two 8gbs and sell the two 4s. RAM is expensive enough atm and the price will only fall. Future proofing pcs is not cost effective.

PC arrived to day(see post 31) and i have but it together and all is seems to be working fine except USB on front of case dont seem to be working,any ideas ?

I installed Windows 7 and inserted the CD for the motherboard and installed the drivers I think I need .

How should I set up the SSD ?

Any thing else I should do/need to install?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

PC arrived to day(see post 31) and i have but it together and all is seems to be working fine except USB on front of case dont seem to be working,any ideas ?

I installed Windows 7 and inserted the CD for the motherboard and installed the drivers I think I need .

How should I set up the SSD ?

Any thing else I should do/need to install?

One or two things spring to mind, there is a cable coming from the front usb ports that has to connected to the motherboard, is that connected?

Also did you download and install the usb drivers for the motherboard?

Some boards support usb 2.0 from the off but not usb 3.0, some need drivers for it

• Advertisement

EoinHef wrote: »
    One or two things spring to mind, there is a cable coming from the front usb ports that has to connected to the motherboard, is that connected?

Also did you download and install the usb drivers for the motherboard?

Some boards support usb 2.0 from the off but not usb 3.0, some need drivers for it
    Everything seems to be connected and I have installed the drivers.

Will take anither look in the morning.

Yaba any joy on the USB issue?, I am still waiting on mine screen was backordered, dispatched today had to order another stick of ram only ordered one the first time, couldn't add to the existing order so had to pay another 12 euro for shipping hope it is worth it. Will update when I get the bits in and start building.

Garfin wrote: »
    Yaba any joy on the USB issue?, I am still waiting on mine screen was backordered, dispatched today had to order another stick of ram only ordered one the first time, couldn't add to the existing order so had to pay another 12 euro for shipping hope it is worth it. Will update when I get the bits in and start building.
    Yeah I got it sorted out ,I thought I had downloaded all the drivers but I re did them and problem solved.Very happy with the build.

Unless you got a very good price on the ram would it not be handier to cancel the order and buy the ram from somewhere with cheaper postage?

Glad to hear you got it sorted, all incl shipping is 45 euro for 4GB G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9-9-9-24, not sure how that compares elsewhere I did look on Amazon.co.UK for that specific one and couldn't find it. Do they have to be identical to be compatible?

Hi all this build is coming up on 5 years old now, looking for some suggestions to improve performance without spending much, best bang for the buck upgrades. I would like to add Bluetooth if that's possible without changing the board, all feedback welcome, G.

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €478.54 + €30 shipping
    Windows 8.1 64Bit Eng Intl (SB-Version) DVD|€82.48
    LG Flatron 22EA53VQ-P|€115.99
    Corsair VS Serie VS350, Non-Modular, 80+|€29.36
    Intel Pentium G3420 Box, LGA1150|€53.74
    4GB G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9-9-9-24|€31.73
    WD Blue 1TB 6Gb's|€49.26
    Akasa AK-ICR-07 Interner 6-Port Card Reader 8,89cm (3,5") , schwarz|€9.89
    LogiLink Wireless LAN 300 Mbps PCI Karte 802.11n 2T2R|€12.89
    LG GH24NS bare schwarz|€15.47
    MSI H81M-E33, mATX, Sockel 1150|€41.33
    Zalman Z3 Midi-Tower - schwarz, ohne Netzteil|€36.40
    [/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Slksht

Garfin wrote: »
    Hi all this build is coming up on 5 years old now, looking for some suggestions to improve performance without spending much, best bang for the buck upgrades. I would like to add Bluetooth if that's possible without changing the board, all feedback welcome, G.

Bluetooth is simple. Amazon have lots of USB Bluetooth adapters. They're about a tenner. Make sure it's over v4.0 and Class 2 should suffice as it's just in your home.

You need to list your current gear for people to suggest upgrades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Throw in a 2nd hand i5-4440 or similar for €60-70, add another cheap 4GB of ram, and throw in a 250GB SSD and you'll be flying.

If you're just web browsing and using office, then for now literally just an SSD will make a huge difference, 4GB of ram is still pretty much OK and the CPU is still good for those tasks.

Slksht wrote: »
    Bluetooth is simple. Amazon have lots of USB Bluetooth adapters. They're about a tenner. Make sure it's over v4.0 and Class 2 should suffice as it's just in your home.

You need to list your current gear for people to suggest upgrades.

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €478.54 + €30 shipping
    Windows 8.1 64Bit Eng Intl (SB-Version) DVD|€82.48
    LG Flatron 22EA53VQ-P|€115.99
    Corsair VS Serie VS350, Non-Modular, 80+|€29.36
    Intel Pentium G3420 Box, LGA1150|€53.74
    4GB G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9-9-9-24|€31.73
    WD Blue 1TB 6Gb's|€49.26
    Akasa AK-ICR-07 Interner 6-Port Card Reader 8,89cm (3,5") , schwarz|€9.89
    LogiLink Wireless LAN 300 Mbps PCI Karte 802.11n 2T2R|€12.89
    LG GH24NS bare schwarz|€15.47
    MSI H81M-E33, mATX, Sockel 1150|€41.33