Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who to make me a website

• 31-12-2013 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi there ,

just wondering if anyone would have any recommendations and experiences with good website design companies or graphic designers.

I might want one at some point in 2014.

Thanks
    John.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Depends what it's for!

One bit of advice: Don't hire a mate, or someone from far far away who does it for super cheap. It's invariably terrible, late, and difficult to change down the road.

There are very few competent people out there in a big sea of pretenders.

Best company I've ever hired are XCommunications - pricey, but not cowboys.

I can steer you in the right direction if you have any more info on the nature of your idea (not offering my services - busy enough!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Read this advice: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056283992
    Post your request here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055802922

Reinforcing banquo's points:
    • Avoid cheap, it could be the most expensive money you save; pay peanuts, get monkeys; invest properly in your web presence.

• The web is full of people who can put together some sort of site, but that does not mean it will be up to scratch. Remember there is a very very low barrier to entry, so cowboys and wild west scenarios are still very much in play.

• XComms is probably the oldest web design company in Ireland followed closely by Webfactory, both are pricey, but still around after 19+ years which says a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

If you're looking for someone I'd be happy to discuss things. Drop me a PM and we can sort something :)

Good rule of thumb: If you think it's expensive to hire a professional, wait until you've hired an amateur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

banquo wrote: »
    Good rule of thumb: If you think it's expensive to hire a professional, wait until you've hired an amateur.

+1
    And that goes for other professions as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Berteee

I would like to thank those who commented and for the many others who sent me a PM instead. I more than lightly will be In touch inquiring of previous work and pricing.
    Thank You

Another group - not affiliated with them! - that are also quite good are exsite.ie. Again, high end of the market. May be beyond your needs.

A website for a local soccer club. Any ideas on how much that would be ?

Depends on your needs. You can get "Ah sure Kevin knows computers he'll do it for an ice-cream" but, trust me, in the long run you are so, so, so much better off paying a little more and getting it done right.

A cheap-o will get cheap hosting* <snip> that will lead to crashes and errors and a slow and terrible website.

You'd also have to consider the logo and pics on the site - very often the client sends in images that just aren't suitable, and the developer ends up having to redo them. Depending on the logo this can take an hour or half a day.

I'd do it for 500, and spend most of it on the hosting because it's a local soccer club, not a huge job and I like local soccer clubs. But that's just me. You'd probably get it for about 500 from a pro who'd skimp a bit on the hosting.

In short: It's worth paying a bit more to have it done right and be safe in the knowledge that it's not going to randomly break, is respectable looking, and that you can update it yourself without having to keep going back to pay the developer again.

Thanks banquo! Appreciate your reply.

About hosting, If I'm not mistaken it's like a once off fee or yearly fee to have your website online. And a good one can take
    a good volume of traffic and is a quick loading speed.

Anyway I'll google it ! thanks a million Banquo!

• Advertisement

I COMPLETELY endorse WP Engine for hosting. 25 a month, so so worth it. Just works.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 halfmoon

Hi there myself and my Partner Design and deliver Websites.

http://somers72.wordpress.com

You'll get an idea. I don't have any websites in there at the moment but it's all on the way. PM me foe more details about cost. I work with Beepmode, you'll see it on my site there.

All the best and we might work together at some point.

Advertisement