Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

jtag a boot chip can anyone help?

• 31-12-2013 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Looking for help with a buffalo terastation ts-xel.
    It failed during a firmware upgrade and the boot is corrupt.
    Here is the chip I'm looking for help flashing
    http://george.insideiphone.com/?p=1028
    I'd like to try sort this myself as I hate when stuff like this beats me.
    I'm looking to find out what I need to jtag it....ie hardware and software.
    Thanks,
    Mark.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

markad1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Looking for help with a buffalo terastation ts-xel.
    It failed during a firmware upgrade and the boot is corrupt.
    Here is the chip I'm looking for help flashing
    http://george.insideiphone.com/?p=1028
    I'd like to try sort this myself as I hate when stuff like this beats me.
    I'm looking to find out what I need to jtag it....ie hardware and software.
    Thanks,
    Mark.

What's the part number on the chip? I can't make it out from that pic on my phone

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

Chet T16 wrote: »
    What's the part number on the chip? I can't make it out from that pic on my phone

Hi,
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/28lakd7nwwdvvkm/20131226_144436.jpg

This is the pic of my board if its any good.

It seems to be an SPI flash so that should get you started. I'll have a better look into it in a bit.

It seems to be an SPI flash so that should get you started. I'll have a better look into it in a bit.

Happy New year!

Morning Chet T16,
    Would this little device be capable of flashing that chip or would you recommend something else?
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/UK-EZP2010-High-Speed-24-25-93-FLASH-USB-SPI-Programmer-/290601542111?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item43a933a1df
    Thanks,
    Mark.

• Advertisement

Yeah that has that chip listed as supported so should work.

Hi again Chet T16,
    I looked into this a bit better today. I found this programmer
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321085105494&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en
    would this do the job.
    It says it can flash a 25 SPI chip on the board. The chip in the pic starts with numbers 25P, does that mean its 25 SPI?
    Thanks again for your help,
    Mark.

That will work also. The programmer needs to be able to work with the 25P40 range.

That will work also. The programmer needs to be able to work with the 25P40 range.

Cheers Chet T16
    I'll order the second programmer so in 3 weeks time I might be annoying you again :D

Its a lot more expensive for a one off job!

• Advertisement

If the clamp for flashing the chip while on the board works it will save some hassle.
    I have a feeling I'll be flashing it a couple of times :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Are you sure it's the chip at fault ? I had a run-in with one of those NAS a while back, it originally had 1 faulty drive out of the 4 and the display turned red on boot up. Attempts to update the firmware failed until the .ini file in the firmware config was edited.

Does the display show the firmware version during boot up at all ? If it does then the issue is with the part of the OS written to the drives. Have you tried telnetting into it ? Does the Buffalo NAS Navigator find and display any details about the unit ?

Apologies for jumping in, just thought I might be able to help.

Ken

Hi ken,
    Thanks for replying.
    I originally got the nas second hand with faulty drives. It was showing error 06. I was able to telnet to the unit and was in the process of doing a firmware upgrade when it failed.
    The unit now shows error e00 mpu no response. The network card also shuts down.
    I believe the boot is corrupt and the only way to revover the unit is to flash the boot chip.
    I've search high and low for a fix and the only thing I've found is flashing that chip.
    I'd love if a simplier fix was available, the nas cost me nothing and I had drives there so it would be nice to get this working.
    Tests of character,
    Mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

If the network card isn't responding then there's not a lot you can do. I take it that the Buffalo NAS Navigator application isn't seeing it ?

The IP address defaults to 192.168.1.100 I think though I simply connected my one to the PC with a Crossover cable and let the two assign APIPA addresses then they could talk. There's a small red button behind the front door of the unit just below the display. Holding that for 30 seconds is meant to set the IP to default.

Silly question (apologies) but did you have drives in the unit when you updated the firmware ? The firmware updater installs the units OS to the drives and the firmware update will fail if it can't see the drives. There's a .ini file in the firmware update directory which needs to be edited in order to force the unit to partition and format the drives to take the firmware updates. It is set to NOT format the drives by default.

Ken

Hi Ken,
    The new drives were in. But the original drives were 1TB, I installed 3TB.
    I ftp the files onto the nas and was then able to see the box on the navigator software.
    The firmware was upgrading from navigator software but failed during the upgrade.
    The box won't do anything now, even holding the red button while powering up does nothing.
    It lights up red with the error e00 within 20 seconds.
    I can see the network card switching off at the same time.
    Every thing I have tried to connect to the box fails now.
    Mark.

Update:
    The programmer arrived today, nice little kit.
    I was able to flash the chip while still connected to the pcb.
    I'm back to where I was in recovery.
    I'm very impressed I've never flashed a chip before and I didn't think it possible while still on the pcb.
    I'll start the recovery during the weekend.
    Chet T16 Thank you very much for your help you pointed me in the right direction fair play.
    Mark.

All back up and running.
    It was able to take 4 x 3TB drives.
    Thanks all for help.

Now you can give that programmer away :D

I'm not finished tinkering yet, had to flash it 3 times so far :rolleyes:

Hahaa sounds about right

• Advertisement