Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woofing Ireland

Options
  • 31-12-2013 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

New here, bare with me. I was wondering if anyone has had much experience with Woofing Ireland? I did find a forum about this but it was quite old.

I've just taken a (risky) year off, to learn what I really want to do. And volunteering on organic farms is definitely on the agenda. I just want to know if anyone has any good/bad experiences to share.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

You might have a bit more luck with replies here in the Farming and Forestry forum - or the F and F mods might recommend the volunteering forum maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

I have heard of Dogging but never heard of Woofing:), please explain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

TBH Bob i don't think it's for you.
    did it years ago, when i was in Oz, worked on a sheep farm for board & food. not sure if i'd want to do it in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

I have heard of Dogging but never heard of Woofing:), please explain

It's an organisation that supplies free labour to farmers in term for food and shelter, usually students from different country's looking to learn or improve there English. It is most popular on organic / veg farms small holdings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

New here, bare with me. I was wondering if anyone has had much experience with Woofing Ireland? I did find a forum about this but it was quite old.

I've just taken a (risky) year off, to learn what I really want to do. And volunteering on organic farms is definitely on the agenda. I just want to know if anyone has any good/bad experiences to share.

Would you be interested in volunteering work on an "almost" organic farm in France ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 superwoman214

"Would you be interested in volunteering work on an "almost" organic farm in France ?"

Im not sure, I hadnt thought about it, but Im open to most things right now!

"Would you be interested in volunteering work on an "almost" organic farm in France ?"

Did some Woofing in the early 80's, had some fun and did me no harm. Ended up in some nice places though.

sheebadog wrote: »
    Did some Woofing in the early 80's, had some fun and did me no harm. Ended up in some nice places though.

Im thinking of just doing it around Ireland in the summer, but I am unsure about what to expect. Iv never done anything like this before.

Im thinking of just doing it around Ireland in the summer, but I am unsure about what to expect. Iv never done anything like this before.

Around Ireland ? Mad. Go further.
    Expect lots of work. For nothing.
    However it's worth a go. I ended up in a kibbutz in Israel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Did you try helpx.net? I've been speaking to a few places for next year off it.

• Advertisement

Thanks Kovu Murr, Iv never heard of this site, it seems very helpful! Are you staying in Ireland or going abroad?

Thanks Kovu Murr, Iv never heard of this site, it seems very helpful! Are you staying in Ireland or going abroad?

ABROAD. Away from the eejits on board.ie:D
    Canada is my destination hopefully. You?

I think Im a little scared to go further afieild right now! I havent done this before so Id like to try it out over here, somewhere I understand and go home from if needed! But canada would be an amazing place to do something like this. I also hear Spain is great for yurting/organic farming etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    ABROAD. Away from the eejits on board.ie:D
    Canada is my destination hopefully. You?

Nothing stopping ya posting from Canada. If ya post from Leitrim anything's possible :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Chisler2

You should register on the international Wwoof'ers website which is here:- http://www.wwoof.net/welcome-to-wwoof/ and get yourself some real - global! - experience. There are many, many kinds of organic projects, from hygroscopic gardening to organic vinyards in South America. You will learn a lot. My 27-year-old stepson and his partner have seen the world and acquired invaluable horticultural (and socio-economic!!!!!) experience as Wwoof'ers over the past couple of years. You will sleep well at night and mature in the process. Go for it girl - but don't mistake a cabbage-patch in County Dublin for the world of organic farming! Good luck and let us know how you fare.

Bizzum wrote: »
    Nothing stopping ya posting from Canada. If ya post from Leitrim anything's possible :-)

Hey now.....I don't know what goes on over there on these ranches. A couple I've spoken to have no 'cell phone' reception, so I'm guessing broadband may be a little difficult to get! One in particular I'm very interested in, a full ranch and horse training yard where you learn all aspects of natural horsemanship.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Try match up where you head to with what you want out of it... No point working on a ranch in Canada if you want to grow salads in Leitrim !!
    I woofed in Australia and new zealand for fun, and in Ireland and Cornwall for a bit of education... And ended up not farming/growing at all, but don't regret any of it... Push yr self and go for it...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Greensleeves

I've done a lot of HelpXing over the last 5 or 6 years in Ireland, UK, France, Spain and Portugal and I've always enjoyed it. Met some great hosts and some great helpers. I've never WWOOFED but from what other helpers say WOOFING involves longer hours and rougher accomodation; HelpX is usually 25 hours work a week in exchange for full board and lodging for 7 days. France is particularly good because there are lots of hosts.

Though I appreciate all those telling me to travel further afield, I agree with MarkCheese on this. I am looking for something in Ireland because it matches the work I want to do. A bit of lettuce growing! It's also a great way to see my own country in a way that I haven't had much chance to before.

The future plan may or may not include places like Spain and Canada, two countries Id love to see. And Iv heard nothing but great things about what Spain has to offer in this field. But for now, Im excited to see my own land!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Greensleeves

Go for it! There are great opportunities in Ireland; you learn lots and meet interesting and inspirational people no matter what country you are in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement