Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free tickets to 1100th Bash for City Councillors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

7upfree wrote: »
    The taxpayer - just to clarify.

Sweet Jesus. Seriously.:rolleyes:

Far from it. I for one would love to see an amount of ordinary people - for once - allowed represent the City at these things. Not a bunch of talking heads.

Christ, are you ACTUALLY that naive?? After what's happened in this country. "Democracy costs money"; "Ordinary people"…..on 100k+ a year. While the Taoiseach earns more than Obama? Yep. You're right. Completely ordinary people.

I'm guessing you're in your early 20s and trying to break into politics. As you say yourself - get real. And recognise what's going on around you. FFS.:rolleyes:

Obama earns $400k a year (~€294k) compared to Enda's €185k.

The whole Taoiseach earning more than the US president was briefly true only due to the exchange rate at the time. Also the main renumeration for US presidents comes when they leave office, Clinton earned 17 million in 2012 giving speeches. The job itself doesn't need to pay too highly when you can leave after a few years and earn an average of 195 grand a speech (as Clinton does).

But don't let these facts get in the way of a good rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

You have two choices, be a mug or a muppet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Or you could have a cup a tea.
    Makes no odds boi the world trundles on despite what little rules we set up in our head.

Reaches the parts ..............

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Far from it. I for one would love to see an amount of ordinary people - for once - allowed represent the City at these things. Not a bunch of talking heads.

What defines an "ordinary" person ?
    I don't see any lavish life styles from any of our councillors.
    What I do see is a massive chip on your shoulder man your posts are bitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

It's a woman! (Men don't drink diet 7-up)

• Advertisement

It's a woman! (Men don't drink diet 7-up)

Bmhl and men can't just get that level of bitterness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Or the third one. Jump on a gravy train.

ceegee wrote: »
    Obama earns $400k a year (~€294k) compared to Enda's €185k.

The whole Taoiseach earning more than the US president was briefly true only due to the exchange rate at the time. Also the main renumeration for US presidents comes when they leave office, Clinton earned 17 million in 2012 giving speeches. The job itself doesn't need to pay too highly when you can leave after a few years and earn an average of 195 grand a speech (as Clinton does).

But don't let these facts get in the way of a good rant

Point taken.

But you miss the glaring point in your own observations.

€4k. A WEEK. FOR ENDA KENNY.:eek: And this is classed as good value?

While the country goes down the toilet, and a never-ending gravy train rides on.

And muppets defend this at every opportunity.

The same muppets who stand by while the City is dismantled around us.

Nypd wrote: »
    What defines an "ordinary" person ?
    I don't see any lavish life styles from any of our councillors.
    What I do see is a massive chip on your shoulder man your posts are bitter.

Bitter? No. Realistic? Yes. Too many are prepared to stand back and accept this. I'm not one of them. And it's the same with many others - who don't post on forums such as this.

Bitter? No. Realistic? Yes. Too many are prepared to stand back and accept this. I'm not one of them. And it's the same with many others - who don't post on forums such as this.

So what your saying is its your opinion and everyone is entitled to it....
    Every second post....
    Every day......
    Every week. .....
    Every..........

• Advertisement

wellboytoo wrote: »
    So what your saying is its your opinion and everyone is entitled to it....
    Every second post....
    Every day......
    Every week. .....
    Every..........

What I'm saying is that everyone is entitled to an opinion. Some may disagree, but that's what defines a free society.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

The taxpayer - just to clarify.

Christ, are you ACTUALLY that naive?? After what's happened in this country. "Democracy costs money"; "Ordinary people"…..on 100k+ a year. While the Taoiseach earns more than Obama? Yep. You're right. Completely ordinary people.

I'm guessing you're in your early 20s and trying to break into politics. As you say yourself - get real. And recognise what's going on around you. FFS.:rolleyes:

Early 20's are far behind me friend. Far, Far behind me. As for breaking into politics, not for me.

It is very easy to blame politicians for being politicians, as if that is a crime. We need people in positions of power to make the hard decision that need to be made.

To get back to your very initial point about the attendance of city councillors at at city council event for free, what's your problem? So f**king what? Why shouldn't they have gone? As for your claim that you want am amount of ordinary Waterford people at these things, there was at least 500 of them at the event. But this is where you have a problem i think, you can't define what you see as an ordinary person.

As for being naive, please. I am a realist, unlike you. To be honest you have a very closed mind, and an obvious chip on your shoulder about something.

Anyway, enough. I'm to old for this shyt.

What I'm saying is that everyone is entitled to an opinion. Some may disagree, but that's what defines a free society.

Does it never occur to you as odd that you are constantly being accused of having a chip on your shoulder.
    Maybe you have a chip on your shoulder.

Does it never occur to you as odd that you are constantly being accused of having a chip on your shoulder.

1. By a select few with a very obvious agenda.

2. If raising issues that are discriminatory towards this City is "having a chip on your shoulder" then guilty as charged.

Pity a few more don't have the balls to have them.

invalid wrote: »
    Early 20's are far behind me friend. Far, Far behind me. As for breaking into politics, not for me.

It is very easy to blame politicians for being politicians, as if that is a crime. We need people in positions of power to make the hard decision that need to be made.

What, precisely, are these "hard decisions"??
    To get back to your very initial point about the attendance of city councillors at at city council event for free, what's your problem? So f**king what? Why shouldn't they have gone? As for your claim that you want am amount of ordinary Waterford people at these things, there was at least 500 of them at the event. But this is where you have a problem i think, you can't define what you see as an ordinary person.

A member of the general public. That clear enough for you?
    As for being naive, please. I am a realist, unlike you. To be honest you have a very closed mind, and an obvious chip on your shoulder about something.

As already pointed out to WB2, I have this city at my heart. The way it is being treated is, to put it mildly, a disgrace.

Some, like yourself, are obvious prepared to roll over and die. Which is what has this City where it is now. Others choose a different path. Thankfully.

FFS there are people on this thread trying to defend paying Enda Kenny FOUR GRAND a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Point taken.

But you miss the glaring point in your own observations.

€4k. A WEEK. FOR ENDA KENNY.:eek: And this is classed as good value?

While the country goes down the toilet, and a never-ending gravy train rides on.

And muppets defend this at every opportunity.

The same muppets who stand by while the City is dismantled around us.

I never said Kenny offered good value for money, my point was merely that using untruths to make your point takes away from your argument. In the same way that arguing that Kenny is not worth 4k a week is diminished by the fact that he isn't paid 4k a week. It's 3550, which imo is worthy of arguing against without inflating it to suit your needs

1. By a select few with a very obvious agenda.

2. If raising issues that are discriminatory towards this City is "having a chip on your shoulder" then guilty as charged.

Pity a few more don't have the balls to have them.
    What is my agenda ? Am I an FG sympathiser to ?

What is my agenda ? Am I an FG sympathiser to ?

Did I say you were?

ceegee wrote: »
    I never said Kenny offered good value for money, my point was merely that using untruths to make your point takes away from your argument. In the same way that arguing that Kenny is not worth 4k a week is diminished by the fact that he isn't paid 4k a week. It's 3550, which imo is worthy of arguing against without inflating it to suit your needs

Ah yeah, €3550 is so much less really. :rolleyes:

It is an outrage - in a country with a population as small as ours. And the fact you - and others like you - lean towards defending it is why it is as high as that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

We have gone way off topic. What in the name of god are we doing discussing salaries of the government when the discussion is about people being unhappy that Cllrs got free tickets to a City Council event?

• Advertisement

Plus ca change , plus c'est la meme chose

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Plus ca change , plus c'est la meme chose

A translation would be nice for us non French speakers too lazy to translate it.

Sully wrote: »
    A translation would be nice for us non French speakers too lazy to translate it.

The more things change the more they stay the same

The more things change the more they stay the same

And in English?:P

We have gone way off topic. What in the name of god are we doing discussing salaries of the government when the discussion is about people being unhappy that Cllrs got free tickets to a City Council event?

Interlinked. Inevitably.

Interlinked. Inevitably.

There is absolutely no link.

There is absolutely no link.

Read the thread.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭LiamD1977

Sully I think there is a link,

Councillors get elected and before you know it they are attending B*****it conferences in Donegal so they can claim mileage,

They demand free tickets to everything going ( which puts up price for everyone else)

They sign up to sit on panels and boards so that they can get more payments ,

They dream of graduating from this gravy train to the next which is the Dail.

To me the free tickets are simply one symptom of a wider attitude.

A link I posted earlier showed a councillor who claimed 57k in expenses from 2010 for sitting on interview panels for WIT.

You have Pat Cox in Limerick giving his secretary a 120k job without a tender to run Limerick City of Culture.

I thought all these political gravy trains where meant to be coming to a stop.

LiamD1977 wrote: »
    Sully I think there is a link,

Councillors get elected and before you know it they are attending B*****it conferences in Donegal so they can claim mileage,

They demand free tickets to everything going ( which puts up price for everyone else)

They sign up to sit on panels and boards so that they can get more payments ,

They dream of graduating from this gravy train to the next which is the Dail.

To me the free tickets are simply one symptom of a wider attitude.

A link I posted earlier showed a councillor who claimed 57k in expenses from 2010 for sitting on interview panels for WIT.

You have Pat Cox in Limerick giving his secretary a 120k job without a tender to run Limerick City of Culture.

I thought all these political gravy trains where meant to be coming to a stop.

Indeed Liam. And then there was the Anglo revelations in the past few days as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

It seems the same few posters are making the "chip on your shoulder" accussations - IMO they can't argue their points and are really trying to undermine the person rather than the point.

Advertisement