Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free tickets to 1100th Bash for City Councillors

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

It seems the same few posters are making the "chip on your shoulder" accussations - IMO they can't argue their points and are really trying to undermine the person rather than the point.

I'd say the opposite. People have been getting fed up of the negativity and the constant whining and moaning, over anything and everything. Some people do come across like they have a "chip on their shoulder" as a result of the repeated and constant negativity. That's all that people are pointing out as plenty of them have gotten in various debates and challenged the points made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I can argue with anyone except her indoors, and hold my ground.
    Myself and 7upfree have an oul tangle now and again but no real rancour.
    In general I like the cut and thrust on boards but if people make bald statements they should back them up, but unfortunately what happens a lot here is people are selective with what they will address .
    its the new year so let's try to be nice to each other! I got some good news on the medical front today after a week of uncertainty.
    So love and kisses to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Sully wrote: »
    I'd say the opposite. People Fine Gael supporters and members have been getting fed up of the negativity and the constant whining and moaning, over anything and everything. constant reminding of the dismemberment of Waterford City at the hands of FG and Labour. Which they have closed their eyes to.

There.

That just about covers it.:)

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I can argue with anyone except her indoors, and hold my ground.
    Myself and 7upfree have an oul tangle now and again but no real rancour.
    In general I like the cut and thrust on boards but if people make bald statements they should back them up, but unfortunately what happens a lot here is people are selective with what they will address .
    its the new year so let's try to be nice to each other! I got some good news on the medical front today after a week of uncertainty.
    So love and kisses to everyone.

Good news for you then. Glad to hear it.:) They can be very worrying times and the relief is awesome when the good news arrives.

Yes we have a tangle - which I enjoy - but at least it is between two Waterfordians without any obvious political affiliations. Which cannot be said for at least three others on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭cassette50

It would of been a nice touch if the Government had made Waterford the first national city of culture to mark the 1100th anniversary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

cassette50 wrote: »
    It would of been a nice touch if the Government had made Waterford the first national city of culture to mark the 1100th anniversary.

I'm glad they didn't, 1100 gives Waterford a chance to showcase itself,
    We can get another years worth of events when our turn comes round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

I'd say the opposite. People have been getting fed up of the negativity and the constant whining and moaning, over anything and everything. Some people do come across like they have a "chip on their shoulder" as a result of the repeated and constant negativity. That's all that people are pointing out as plenty of them have gotten in various debates and challenged the points made.

Some people come across as extremely biased and unable to argue a point at all.

I don't agree with everything 7upfree writes nor do I think a chip exists, I feel many people have their heads in the sand - but - its better to put up a decent and valid arguement than bully and name calling.

Its not the worst place to live and we are relatively very lucky people however I was here in the 1980's and I have never seen the emptiness or depths of despair that exist now, exist at any other time in my living memory.

Positivity is always a good tool but many people are in dreadful situations and feel there is alot to be negative about especially if your children are having to emigrate and they don't want to go and you don't want them to leave. And/or you've been made redundant and can't see a light at the end of the tunnel. And/or you are in negative equity and cannot afford to pay bills that you could have easily paid 5 or 6 years ago. And/or the stress of everything is tearing your relationship apart.And/or your hopes and dreams for the children you can not really afford have been ripped to shreds. And/or you go to town and business after business is closing down or business owners are telling you they don't know how much longer they can survive, etc,etc.

Although its not reflected on boards about 95% of people I have spoken to feel the town is being destroyed by the city manager, planners and city council - people feel they have no say over anything and that no one hears their dissatisfaction. Parking and access to the city is extemely off puting and people are sending out this message loud and clear - they don't come to town. The general consensus is that the quay project is a disaster which ran over budget and cost local business a fortune; will anyone be held accountible, I dont think so. Local newspapers and sites like boards don't resonate the feeling on the ground but walk around town on most week days, its like a ghost town.

No problem is ever solved by ignoring it or pretending it doesn't exists - we need radical change in Waterford otherwise the City will linger in the slow death that has been killing for the past few years.

Councillors should be giving back to the City and leading by example, they shouldn't expect freebies

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

I don't agree with everything 7upfree writes nor do I think a chip exists, I feel many people have their heads in the sand - but - its better to put up a decent and valid arguement than bully and name calling.

Its not the worst place to live and we are relatively very lucky people however I was here in the 1980's and I have never seen the emptiness or depths of despair that exist now, exist at any other time in my living memory.

Positivity is always a good tool but many people are in dreadful situations and feel there is alot to be negative about especially if your children are having to emigrate and they don't want to go and you don't want them to leave. And/or you've been made redundant and can't see a light at the end of the tunnel. And/or you are in negative equity and cannot afford to pay bills that you could have easily paid 5 or 6 years ago. And/or the stress of everything is tearing your relationship apart.And/or your hopes and dreams for the children you can not really afford have been ripped to shreds. And/or you go to town and business after business is closing down or business owners are telling you they don't know how much longer they can survive, etc,etc.

Although its not reflected on boards about 95% of people I have spoken to feel the town is being destroyed by the city manager, planners and city council - people feel they have no say over anything and that no one hears their dissatisfaction. Parking and access to the city is extemely off puting and people are sending out this message loud and clear - they don't come to town. The general consensus is that the quay project is a disaster which ran over budget and cost local business a fortune; will anyone be held accountible, I dont think so. Local newspapers and sites like boards don't resonate the feeling on the ground but walk around town on most week days, its like a ghost town.

No problem is ever solved by ignoring it or pretending it doesn't exists - we need radical change in Waterford otherwise the City will linger in the slow death that has been killing for the past few years.

Councillors should be giving back to the City and leading by example, they shouldn't expect freebies

any examples of where "the town is being destroyed by the city manager, planners and city council"??
    Is it the new museum, the new Waterford crystal factory/showroom?
    Is it the Viking triangle and medieval museum?
    is it the city development plan which disallows retail development on the edges of the city and thereby reversing the trend of creating a "doughnut effect"??
    Is it the "Waterford 1100" celebrations?
    Is it the proposed reduction in commercial rates?

p.s. Any chance you would spell out this "radical change" that you feel is needed??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Excellent post uncomfortable as some of it is for me,it is a different perspective in some ways and I don't agree with your conclusion but it is an excellent post.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

7upfree wrote: »
    There.

That just about covers it.:)

And that's where the crust of the problem is. People are getting pissed off that they can't express an opinion without being labelled by a select few as fanboys or government supporters.

The fact you need to understand (and before one or two claim I am being personal - i'm attacking the type of post being made, not the poster) is that many people will have a different and completely alternative point of view than both of us. I won't label them shinners, fianna failers or whatever when they disagree with me, I have absolutely no idea what political party (if any) you support, nor do I care.

I respect the alternative opinions than mine. Other individuals come out with responses like the one you did today, constantly, when people express an opinion that may look like supporting the government (or at least, doesn't knock the government or its parties). That's completely uncalled for, unspirited and shows absolutely no attempt at debating. In fact, it is a personal attack.
    cassette50 wrote: »

I agree, considering all that Waterford has, I don't see any reason why we shouldn't have been given funding at the very least by the state for this. Whether we sough it, is another matter.

I'm a very upfront and honest type of person. I actually find that the vast majority of people who take part in the political discussions on this forum, of any description, are unhappy with the government, the political system and councillors. I'm one of those who are unhappy at many aspects, but I also face facts and give thumbs up and credit where it is due. I'll express my opinion regardless if it's against the majority or with the majority, I don't see why I or anybody should change their view just to follow the crowd. We have opinions - express them. Be educated, express yourself.

Over the period of months where political discussions on this forum have become a regular feature, you would be surprised the amount of people who find the negativity and complaining with regular snipping at individuals has taken away from the forum. I can't say in all my years on this forum I have ever seen it as bad.

I genuinely think that's all that people are saying.

• Advertisement

any examples of where "the town is being destroyed by the city manager, planners and city council"??
    Is it the new museum, the new Waterford crystal factory/showroom?
    Is it the Viking triangle and medieval museum?
    is it the city development plan which disallows retail development on the edges of the city and thereby reversing the trend of creating a "doughnut effect"??
    Is it the "Waterford 1100" celebrations?
    Is it the proposed reduction in commercial rates?

p.s. Any chance you would spell out this "radical change" that you feel is needed??

Lack of people coming town and shops closing down on such a regular basis. Terrible planning regarding access to the town, most people I know actually hate having to go town, its too much hassle. 14 sets of traffic lights from the industrial estate to the town centre - why would you bother - and then you may have to deal with the new quay.
    "Proposed reduction in commerical rates - this should have happened 5 years ago.
    Lack of accountibility and responsiblity for overspends.
    Disallowing retail development is too little too late, people are now in the habit of shopping on line.
    Everything else you mention will be visited by some people once perhaps.

People don't go to town anymore because they don't want too, the things you write about are not helping except on one off occassions.

Lack of people coming town and shops closing down on such a regular basis. Terrible planning regarding access to the town, most people I know actually hate having to go town, its too much hassle. 14 sets of traffic lights from the industrial estate to the town centre - why would you bother - and then you may have to deal with the new quay.
    "Proposed reduction in commerical rates - this should have happened 5 years ago.
    Disallowing retail development is too little too late, people are now in the habit of shopping on line.

People don't go to town anymore because they don't want too, the things you write about are not helping except on one off occassions.

are you seriously that the city manager and city council are responsible for the rise in Waterford people engaging in "online shopping"??

are you suggesting that the city council remove all traffic lights at junctions in Waterford city??

did you know that anyone travelling from west Waterford can make it to the quay in Waterford and will only encounter 3 sets of traffic lights at most!!!

are you seriously that the city manager and city council are responsible for the rise in Waterford people engaging in "online shopping"??

are you suggesting that the city council remove all traffic lights at junctions in Waterford city??

did you know that anyone travelling from west Waterford can make it to the quay in Waterford and will only encounter 3 sets of traffic lights at most!!!

Little in life is black or white if it was we would have a solution and fix things immediately (or maybe not) but bad decisions hamper growth or even sustainability, Waterford is in big trouble realitively speaking.

I am suggesting that bad management and planning have made people more inclined to shop online or go to Kilkenny or what ever. Of course I realise people will shop online, but I would suggest that lack of access and expensive parking and lack of infrastructure is making the situation worse in Waterford.

It would be too expensive to remove all the traffic lights but I would suggest they should remove some. When traffic lights are turned off, traffic seems to flow much better. Pedistrian crossing would suffice.

If your coming from estate direction its still 14 sets of traffic lights, why or how the 3 sets from another direction impacts on this is a mystery to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

people dont go to town because they dont want to due to some traffic lights and lets face it, mild traffic (compared to Dub, Cork, Galway etc etc)??...Im shocked with this attitude when we are struggling these people would want to cop-on and decide what type of City they want, do they want one at all and get off their ar$es and support the city centre instead of complaining about minor things.

think you are being far to negative here, the museums, VT, making the place more attractive is not one-off assetts. These will attract tourists for years to come. Shops are closing down due to lack of jobs and online shopping to smaller extent, you cant blame the city manager for that, sure rates should have been reduced years ago but he would say that would have to be offset by cuts elsewhere.

Max Powers wrote: »
    think you are being far to negative here, the museums, VT, making the place more attractive is not one-off assetts. These will attract tourists for years to come. Shops are closing down due to lack of jobs and online shopping to smaller extent, you cant blame the city manager for that, sure rates should have been reduced years ago but he would say that would have to be offset by cuts elsewhere.

The majority of people from Waterford visit Reginalds Tower once, I only know 1 person who went twice.

I thought unemployment rates in Waterford were down by 1.3% so why are shops still closing, its not just because of lack of jobs, people are spending elsewhere and problems with access and parking are 2 of several reasons.

The city needs to meet the needs of the people who live here, more than it needs to meet the needs of tourists. The planners, city manager etc have had more than their chance to turn things around, change is needed.

Identifing problems and solving them is a postive thing and gives people hope; ignoring and not solving problems allows apathy to spread and fester.

Waterford can rise again but not if we keep going the way we are, there are always possibilities for the town.

With regard to the free tickets for councillors, the money for the tickets or the cost of tickets isn't really a issue for me but everyone knows many people in Waterford are really struggling, and the councillors could have led by example and paid for the tickets - this jesture may have been a positive act.

The majority of people from Waterford visit Reginalds Tower once, I only know 1 person who went twice.

I thought unemployment rates in Waterford were down by 1.3% so why are shops still closing, its not just because of lack of jobs, people are spending elsewhere and problems with access and parking are 2 of several reasons.

The city needs to meet the needs of the people who live here, more than it needs to meet the needs of tourists. The planners, city manager etc have had more than their chance to turn things around, change is needed.

Identifing problems and solving them is a postive thing and gives people hope; ignoring and not solving problems allows apathy to spread and fester.

Waterford can rise again but not if we keep going the way we are, there are always possibilities for the town.

museums, VT etc are not about getting locals in primarily, it about bringing money in from the outside which benefits us all.
    Unemployment is the major factor, it is about lack of quality jobs, just ask owner of Kellys or others who have closed down, great its down 1.3% but is still WAY too high which is causing the bulk of difficulties for retailers. Most people dont mind spending 20 minutes approx to come from Dunmore road, lisduggan, F-bank to be in city centre.
    Do you honestly think that reducing the already competitive rates of parking (3.60 for day in Millers march, 3.20 in TK max underground) will help significantly turn things around? My opinion is, people are willing to pay reasonable rates for parking. I have recently pay parked in Clonmel and Limerick and I paid a lot more in both places. no point going into 'i paid 50c for 3 hours parking in XXXX' territory but the rates are competitive. Buses and walking, its a small city are also even cheaper options.

I have said it before but complaints about €1ph/3.6 per day parking are just over negative, sure i would like it as much as anyone if it was 10c. It always brings me back to thoughts of people i know and meet and say, nah sure havent been into town in ages, F-all to do. When asked about any garter lane, theatre royal, cinema or bands they have seen lately, they are stumped, happy to sit on their complaining ar$es in their locals. I and loads others choose to get in their support city centre retail, cafes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

its gas that this thread is still open and the one where the tenant was getting hassled gets closed , ah well guards problally dont care too much for councillers expenses i suppose....

A great post. And highlights only too well the opinion of the silent majority, wo do not populate message boards. Take a bow my friend.

And that's where the crust of the problem is. People are getting pissed off that they can't express an opinion without being labelled by a select few as fanboys or government supporters.

Sully - for the millionth time. You acknowledged on here that you are (or were) a member of young FG. You agree with what they have done to Waterford. That - for whatever insane reasoning there is behind it - is your prerogative. But don't get in a huff when people point out what's actually happening. And are critical of it. And of those who support it.
    The fact you need to understand (and before one or two claim I am being personal - i'm attacking the type of post being made, not the poster) is that many people will have a different and completely alternative point of view than both of us. I won't label them shinners, fianna failers or whatever when they disagree with me, I have absolutely no idea what political party (if any) you support, nor do I care.

This is the difference. I support Waterford City - not a political party. Something YOU need to grasp.
    I respect the alternative opinions than mine. Other individuals come out with responses like the one you did today, constantly, when people express an opinion that may look like supporting the government (or at least, doesn't knock the government or its parties). That's completely uncalled for, unspirited and shows absolutely no attempt at debating. In fact, it is a personal attack.

Sully, in all fairness you have made several personal attacks on me. That's a double-edged sword.

I'm a very upfront and honest type of person. I actually find that the vast majority of people who take part in the political discussions on this forum, of any description, are unhappy with the government, the political system and councillors. I'm one of those who are unhappy at many aspects, but I also face facts and give thumbs up and credit where it is due. I'll express my opinion regardless if it's against the majority or with the majority, I don't see why I or anybody should change their view just to follow the crowd. We have opinions - express them. Be educated, express yourself.

Over the period of months where political discussions on this forum have become a regular feature, you would be surprised the amount of people who find the negativity and complaining with regular snipping at individuals has taken away from the forum. I can't say in all my years on this forum I have ever seen it as bad.

I genuinely think that's all that people are saying.

That's what SOME people (in your circle) are saying. It does not reflect the view of Waterford people as a whole.

Thankfully, at some point, FG will go the same way as FF and the Greens. That day cannot come soon enough for Waterford City.

• Advertisement

But now they're INCREASING them Max. About as anti-business as it gets really.

Although its not reflected on boards about 95% of people I have spoken to feel the town is being destroyed

+1 to that.

some of the stuff on here is laughable!! are we now to believe that Waterford people drive to Kilkenny and Dublin to shop because of traffic lights and lack of access to parking??? really???? I don't know wether to laugh or cry!!

p.s. the overwhelming majority of parking spaces in Waterford city are operated by the PRIVATE sector and have NOTHING to do with the City Council!!!

some of the stuff on here is laughable!! are we now to believe that Waterford people drive to Kilkenny and Dublin to shop because of traffic lights and lack of access to parking??? really???? I don't know wether to laugh or cry!!

p.s. the overwhelming majority of parking spaces in Waterford city are operated by the PRIVATE sector and have NOTHING to do with the City Council!!!

Smiley - I might have asked you before; but are you a sitting county/City Councillor?:confused:

museums, VT etc are not about getting locals in primarily, it about bringing money in from the outside which benefits us all.
    Unemployment is the major factor, it is about lack of quality jobs, just ask owner of Kellys or others who have closed down, great its down 1.3% but is still WAY too high which is causing the bulk of difficulties for retailers. Most people dont mind spending 20 minutes approx to come from Dunmore road, lisduggan, F-bank to be in city centre.
    Do you honestly think that reducing the already competitive rates of parking (3.60 for day in Millers march, 3.20 in TK max underground) will help significantly turn things around? My opinion is, people are willing to pay reasonable rates for parking. I have recently pay parked in Clonmel and Limerick and I paid a lot more in both places. no point going into 'i paid 50c for 3 hours parking in XXXX' territory but the rates are competitive. Buses and walking, its a small city are also even cheaper options.

I have said it before but complaints about €1ph/3.6 per day parking are just over negative, sure i would like it as much as anyone if it was 10c. It always brings me back to thoughts of people i know and meet and say, nah sure havent been into town in ages, F-all to do. When asked about any garter lane, theatre royal, cinema or bands they have seen lately, they are stumped, happy to sit on their complaining ar$es in their locals. I and loads others choose to get in their support city centre retail, cafes etc.

I don't agree and think you are missing the vital points.

People don't come into town, these are some of the reasons people say they find off putting, they may well be laughable but they are still the some of the reasons.

People don't come into town, these are some of the reasons people say they find off putting, they may well be laughable but they are still the some of the reasons.

Ah don't mind Smiley SS!:D

Unfortunately.

I don't agree and think you are missing the vital points.

whats more important than jobs then for an economy?

• Advertisement

whats more important than jobs then for an economy?

We live in a society, an economy and a community, I dont feel a black or white approach is the answer in Waterford. There are many reasons that Waterford city is dying and all the issues need to be recognised and addressed and not laughed at, side stepped and/or ignored.

I not claiming its easy but I would love to see a living vibrant Waterford City again, we shouldn't be prepared to excuse or settle for so little for our city or ourselves.

Advertisement