Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free tickets to 1100th Bash for City Councillors

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Lack of people coming town and shops closing down on such a regular basis. Terrible planning regarding access to the town, most people I know actually hate having to go town, its too much hassle. 14 sets of traffic lights from the industrial estate to the town centre - why would you bother - and then you may have to deal with the new quay.
    "Proposed reduction in commerical rates - this should have happened 5 years ago.
    Lack of accountibility and responsiblity for overspends.
    Disallowing retail development is too little too late, people are now in the habit of shopping on line.
    Everything else you mention will be visited by some people once perhaps.

People don't go to town anymore because they don't want too, the things you write about are not helping except on one off occassions.

With the amount of people that have lost jobs in the last few years, the additional spend around the city has been vastly reduced. This accompanied with online shopping has had a negative impact on the city centre.

Parking is available in Johnstown, New Street, City Square, The Quays, Ballybricken, the Hypermarket not to mention on street parking as well as other areas.

I count 9 sets of traffic lights from Ballinaneeshagh to John St including ped crossings at the graveyard, WIT and McDonalds. Have I missed a few?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

We live in a society, an economy and a community, I dont feel a black or white approach is the answer in Waterford. There are many reasons that Waterford city is dying and all the issues need to be recognised and addressed and not laughed at, side stepped and/or ignored.

I not claiming its easy but I would love to see a living vibrant Waterford City again, we shouldn't be prepared to excuse or settle for so little for our city or ourselves.

....true and lack of jobs is the main reason, not 1ph car parking or a small bit of traffic, traffic lights, not even badly delayed roadworks is a significant factor in our current struggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

How off topic can you guys get?

While we're at it, shall we also blame councillors getting free tickets on the cause of global warming too?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

AdMMM wrote: »
    How off topic can you guys get?

While we're at it, shall we also blame councillors getting free tickets on the cause of global warming too?

Yes. How? Because of the excess millage that they do. That's the connection and I wont have you dispute otherwise!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

tonc76 wrote: »
    With the amount of people that have lost jobs in the last few years, the additional spend around the city has been vastly reduced. This accompanied with online shopping has had a negative impact on the city centre.

Parking is available in Johnstown, New Street, City Square, The Quays, Ballybricken, the Hypermarket not to mention on street parking as well as other areas.

I count 9 sets of traffic lights from Ballinaneeshagh to John St including ped crossings at the graveyard, WIT and McDonalds. Have I missed a few?

Parking is very costly at City Square and The Quays. Street parking is 3.60 for 2 hours then you have to move your car , this is no use if you want to have lunch in town and then have a browse around.

I meet I up with people for lunch on a regular basis, no one wants to meet in town, its the Ramada or the Holy Cross or the Uluru, parking is to much hassle for everyone and time is precious, thats what everyone states and because of this, there is no chance of people just quickly running in here or there and buying things in the spur of the moment. People now go town looking for specific items, they don't browse, they know the cost of parking per hour and that dictates how long they spend in town. Which is usually not more then 1 hour. Go to Kilkenny its 2euro for 3 hours in McDonagh Junction,with a free play area for kids and if you buy something in Dunnes they validate your parking ticket so you don't pay at all. Market Cross right in the centre is 1euro an hour. In Limerick the Crescent has free outside parking with loads of spaces and a free childrens play ares. Mobility is also an issue, access to Waterford City is far from easy.

People want relaxed shopping, a day out and ideal something for everyone that doesn't cost too much, you cant get that in Waterford and its a problem for our city

You have missed a few.

There are still lots of people with lots of money around but they don't choose, for what every reason to shop in Waterford and one of the reasons is access and parking another is lack of affordable facilties, whether some people on boards choose to believe it or not.

Sorry to have gone so far off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Smiley?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Parking is very costly at City Square and The Quays. Street parking is 3.60 for 2 hours then you have to move your car , this is no use if you want to have lunch in town and then have a browse around.

I meet I up with people for lunch on a regular basis, no one wants to meet in town, its the Ramada or the Holy Cross or the Uluru, parking is to much hassle for everyone and time is precious, thats what everyone states and because of this, there is no chance of people just quickly running in here or there and buying things in the spur of the moment. People now go town looking for specific items, they don't browse, they know the cost of parking per hour and that dictates how long they spend in town. Which is usually not more then 1 hour. Go to Kilkenny its 2euro for 3 hours in McDonagh Junction,with a free play area for kids and if you buy something in Dunnes they validate your parking ticket so you don't pay at all. Market Cross right in the centre is 1euro an hour. In Limerick the Crescent has free outside parking with loads of spaces and a free childrens play ares. Mobility is also an issue, access to Waterford City is far from easy.

People want relaxed shopping, a day out and ideal something for everyone that doesn't cost too much, you cant get that in Waterford and its a problem for our city

You have missed a few.

There are still lots of people with lots of money around but they don't choose, for what every reason to shop in Waterford and one of the reasons is access and parking another is lack of affordable facilties, whether some people on boards choose to believe it or not.

There is plenty of affordable parking in Waterford,
    Are you aware of the €1 per hour parking in designated city council parking lots ?
    Millers marsh has decent prices as does the underground one in railway sq.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

No doubt I will be accused of being biased here and this is all part of my plan to defend the government / FG or whatever but again, don't let facts get in the way of a good debate.

City Square & some of the Quays are private car parks. The council have no control over what they charge (nor should they). The owners of said businesses set their own prices.

New Street Car Park (which is the heart of the City Center IMO) is €1 per hour every Friday from 6pm to 10pm, €1 per hour every Saturday from 8am to 12 noon, and €1.40 per hour all day on Tuesday and Thursday.

Railway Square Car Park (just a little bit of a walk to the shops, but fair enough its a bit much for some) is €1 per hour and only €3.20 for all day parking.

Bolton St (again, close enough to town) is €1 per hour. Perfect for tourists wanting to gawk around the Viking Triangle / Waterford Crystal and for shoppers willing to walk 5 mins or so into town.

Millars Marsh Car Park (also a short walk into town) is €1 per hour and ALL DAY parking is available for €3.

You can park cheap in Waterford. End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Sully wrote: »
    No doubt I will be accused of being biased here and this is all part of my plan to defend the government / FG or whatever but again, don't let facts get in the way of a good debate.

City Square & some of the Quays are private car parks. The council have no control over what they charge (nor should they). The owners of said businesses set their own prices.

New Street Car Park (which is the heart of the City Center IMO) is €1 per hour every Friday from 6pm to 10pm, €1 per hour every Saturday from 8am to 12 noon, and €1.40 per hour all day on Tuesday and Thursday.

Railway Square Car Park (just a little bit of a walk to the shops, but fair enough its a bit much for some) is €1 per hour and only €3.20 for all day parking.

Bolton St (again, close enough to town) is €1 per hour. Perfect for tourists wanting to gawk around the Viking Triangle / Waterford Crystal and for shoppers willing to walk 5 mins or so into town.

Millars Marsh Car Park (also a short walk into town) is €1 per hour and ALL DAY parking is available for €3.

You can park cheap in Waterford. End of story.

New Street sorry but I cant afford the dent repair bill, when I actually manage to get out of the car.

The cheaper parking times are hardly conducive to bring people into the city

Sully it may be the "end of story" for you but to me your ignoring and not acknowledging something that's a really problem for others. You cannot park cheaply with easy access but you can elsewhere, and pretending its not an issue won't change that and neither will over simplifing the problem. Its also an issue that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.

I would assume McDonagh Junction and the Cresent carparks are private too.
    I don't know who owns Market Cross but who ever it is they are obviously aware that cheap parking and easy access, equals people in town and more profits. Further, shops being able to stay open equals more rate payments,etc etc.

Not with easy access and not as cheaply as elsewhere, it is an issue for me, its an issue for others and pretending its not, won't change that and neither will over simplifing the problem. Its also an issue that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.

I would assume McDonagh Junction and the Cresent carparks are private too.
    I don't know who owns Market Cross but who ever it is they are obviously aware that cheap parking and easy access, equals people in town and more profits. Further, shops being able to stay open equals more rate payments,etc etc.

I think the problem is that it appears that people are being punished for being in business really. We have the mayor going on about a 20% rates reduction - when they were already raised by 100% in some instances.

Add that to the parking charges, the throttling of the Quays and it does not a good business mix make.

• Advertisement

7upfree wrote: »
    I think the problem is that it appears that people are being punished for being in business really. We have the mayor going on about a 20% rates reduction - when they were already raised by 100% in some instances.

Well lots of folk are saying the vast majority got a rates reduction and can expect to see a further decline. Those who had the increase, will see a decrease. Those who can pay, should pay.
    Add that to the parking charges, the throttling of the Quays and it does not a good business mix make.

Here here. €1 to park in a lot of public owned car parks around Waterford. Disgraceful really. Says it all about what's wrong with this country. Should be at LEAST 10c an hour. AT LEAST.

Rip off Ireland alive and well I see. I hear in Kilkenny it's only 1c every TWO hours! Unbelievable stuff.

Well lots of folk are saying the vast majority got a rates reduction and can expect to see a further decline. Those who had the increase, will see a decrease. Those who can pay, should pay.

You don't get it, do you? It is a huge increase in rates, regardless of how it's spun. This is economics 101.
    Here here. €1 to park in a lot of public owned car parks around Waterford. Disgraceful really. Says it all about what's wrong with this country. Should be at LEAST 10c an hour. AT LEAST.

Rip off Ireland alive and well I see. I hear in Kilkenny it's only 1c every TWO hours! Unbelievable stuff.

Interesting to see how you treat issues which could cripple our City so lightly. A fascinating insight into the psyche really.

You don't get it, do you? It is a huge increase in rates, regardless of how it's spun. This is economics 101.

Your playing politics yourself there young lady, by spinning and twisting facts to suit your agenda and bias.

If the minority of businesses in our great city get a rates increase for the first time in what, 25 years, then that's positive news. Especially when you put it beside the report that the majority of businesses in our great city actually saw their rates decrease. Therefore, the vast majority of businesses will find it that bit easier to trade in Waterford and therefore the rates revaluation cannot be seen as negative for Waterford and some daft conspiracy.

Now, sure, those in the minority will suffer a hit and maybe be forced to close as a result. We don't know for certain, but it's within the realms of possibility. But they may also be able to afford it, that's also within the realms of possibility. Neither of us know for certain. We also don't know exactly what the figure they were paying was, or will be. Now if this is a sucker punch for them, the government have given the council the opportunity to give these (and those who benefited from the revaluation) businesses a bit of breathing room with a 20% reduction.

You don't kneed know fancy Accountancy Degrees to make that link. There will always be winners and losers in changes throughout society and in business.
    Interesting to see how you treat issues which could cripple our City so lightly. A fascinating insight into the psyche really.

On the one hand, you lambaste the state for 'crippling' our City with rates increase and making it harder for businesses. But on the other hand, you then come on here and lambaste businesses for trying to make money! Again, political spin. But once again the spin is destroyed with facts.

- A good few car parks along the quay are privately owned/run, they can charge what they like and it's not up for the state to dictate to them what they can charge for their services. People have the option to shop around and by the looks of those car parks, they do very well.

- The council have a number of car parks they own and run, of which parking rates are as low as €1 - that's cheaper than a lot of places in Kilkenny!

- A number of private car park operators are also competing for your business by offering cheaper car parking rates than those who are charging with what you feel are higher parking rates that are 'crippling' Waterford.

The fact remains that the Car Parks do very well. City Square is kept busy, as is evident by the amount of cars parked there especially during the weekend. If I drive down the quay I can see a lot of cars entering/exiting the quay car parks. Now, perhaps it's people driving on and seeing the charges then leaving. But I can rule that out because a heck of a lot of cars still park there and they look very busy.

So forgive me if I laugh at your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Guys the facts have been laid before you several times over several posts on several threads.
    You just don't seem to want to listen, except or acknowledge.

Parking has been reduced, the quays are €1.80 per hour by private operators.
    On street parking by city council in certain areas are €1.50
    Lots of cheap €1 per hour parking, decent prices on all day parking.
    So what if you have to walk 5 mins extra, if you don't want to walk those 5 mins pay the €1.80.

Rates revaluation was a epic failure but I know of plenty of business owners who challenged and won.
    So their rates reduction of 20% is valid.
    A serious amount of lobbying was done on several different fronts, that included councillors, city council reps and business groups.
    As much as I despise big Phill he did meet with the Waterford city centre business group and obviously took on board their points and Waterford problems, hence the cash injection into the local authorities of 5.2 million (I think that's the correct figure)

The quays.... I like them they will look well once the trees mature, that is my opinion and one I'm entitled to, you have yours.

Why is Waterford city centre quite at the moment ?
    I'd hedge a bet on the thousands of job loses not on a few cent in the difference in parking charges compared to a town that's 45 mins away.
    Will I drive to KK to save that few bob....no because 1.The fuel cost out ways the parking and 2. Ill support my city in any way I can.

Your playing politics yourself there young lady, by spinning and twisting facts to suit your agenda and bias.
    :D:D:D

Read what you posted Sully.:D You're the one who's a member (and supporter) of a political party - not me. Waterford City will always come first with me.
    If the minority of businesses in our great city get a rates increase for the first time in what, 25 years, then that's positive news. Especially when you put it beside the report that the majority of businesses in our great city actually saw their rates decrease. Therefore, the vast majority of businesses will find it that bit easier to trade in Waterford and therefore the rates revaluation cannot be seen as negative for Waterford and some daft conspiracy.

You really will do anything to defend FG, won't you? 'The minority of businesses" wouldn't agree I'd say, especially when MNCs on the estate saw a reduction.
    Now, sure, those in the minority will suffer a hit and maybe be forced to close as a result. We don't know for certain, but it's within the realms of possibility. But they may also be able to afford it, that's also within the realms of possibility. Neither of us know for certain. We also don't know exactly what the figure they were paying was, or will be. Now if this is a sucker punch for them, the government have given the council the opportunity to give these (and those who benefited from the revaluation) businesses a bit of breathing room with a 20% reduction.

You don't kneed know fancy Accountancy Degrees to make that link. There will always be winners and losers in changes throughout society and in business.

Losers? Like the people of Ireland and the new taxes? And the gambling debt?
    Do try to stay on topic will ya?
    On the one hand, you lambaste the state for 'crippling' our City with rates increase and making it harder for businesses. But on the other hand, you then come on here and lambaste businesses for trying to make money! Again, political spin. But once again the spin is destroyed with facts.

Delusion of the highest order. Here are the facts: Waterford has - at every turn - suffered at the hands of your heroes. That is a fact that is indisputable.
    So forgive me if I laugh at your post.
    :D:D:D:D

You have missed a few.

So you agree jobs is the main issue for city centre, not parking, traffic etc. sounds to me like you and your friends should get off you a$$es and support the city centre, you are complaining about the city centre and by that post, doing f-all to support it in its struggles. I make an effort and more often than not am in town every weekend for lunch or if i cant afford that a coffee and cake.
    Choice is to whine about silly minor issues (big picture) because you reckon you are so busy or get up off your a$$ and help the situation.
    The crescent in Limerick has been a disaster for Limerick city, if we had any cop on we would learn from their cock-up and lend our support to city rather than staying in suburbs, complaining about a city some of us rarely support.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

there are those who talk and those who do.

What pisses me off the most about the negativity around in the boards is that for the most part is is completely uninformed and uses hearsay as fact and fact as propaganda. Prime examples are the rubbish about last years Harvest Festival which in part has led to a cloud now forming over its future, the works on the quay that were in budget and on time (admittedly the program was behind as the initial contractor went under), the reason it looked like it took longer was the businesses on the quay specifically asked that no work commence on the footpaths until the summer season was over. Or the tickets given to councillors for a city event in city hall.

I have never seen any event or decision discussed on these boards that haven't had some absolute bull written about them by people who frankly are to lazy to do anything themselves other that wine and bitch, usually armed with a lot of opinion and very little fact. And to be frank it is f**king pathetic.

Well here is a fact, there will be major events showcasing the city this year, all of which will need lots of volunteers. So if you want to help your city, please Volunteer. Most event go through Waterford Area Partnership for volunteers, so register with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

invalid wrote: »
    there are those who talk and those who do.

What pisses me off the most about the negativity around in the boards is that for the most part is is completely uninformed and uses hearsay as fact and fact as propaganda. Prime examples are the rubbish about last years Harvest Festival which in part has led to a cloud now forming over its future, the works on the quay that were in budget and on time (admittedly the program was behind as the initial contractor went under), the reason it looked like it took longer was the businesses on the quay specifically asked that no work commence on the footpaths until the summer season was over. Or the tickets given to councillors for a city event in city hall.

I have never seen any event or decision discussed on these boards that haven't had some absolute bull written about them by people who frankly are to lazy to do anything themselves other that wine and bitch, usually armed with a lot of opinion and very little fact. And to be frank it is f**king pathetic.

Well here is a fact, there will be major events showcasing the city this year, all of which will need lots of volunteers. So if you want to help your city, please Volunteer. Most event go through Waterford Area Partnership for volunteers, so register with them

But what about the golden circle? What about the people who sit around all day doing nothing? Where are their rights? What about that other county that gets more things than we do? What about the fact that we werent mentioned on TV3 at all last week? What about the fact that a Kilkenny company got the PR rights behind our Birthday festival, even though there was a Waterford company in the running (Who didn't actually bother to send their people to the presentation - making it impossible for them to be picked) What about complaining for the sake of complaining? WHAT ABOUT US???

Stop making sense and start thinking about the man on the street.

But what about the golden circle? What about the people who sit around all day doing nothing? Where are their rights? What about that other county that gets more things than we do? What about the fact that we werent mentioned on TV3 at all last week? What about the fact that a Kilkenny company got the PR rights behind our Birthday festival, even though there was a Waterford company in the running (Who didn't actually bother to send their people to the presentation - making it impossible for them to be picked) What about complaining for the sake of complaining? WHAT ABOUT US???

Stop making sense and start thinking about the man on the street.

we are all disappointed by inequity, poor decisions like you say above in tendering processes and lack of govt support in general. However, i agree with invalid, pathetic and illinformed complaints on here about to a large extent irrelevant things to our struggle just undermines our struggle. its clear on here that people are willing to bitch and complain about the city centre and yet do nothing to little to support it, happy to sit on their out of town barstool out in Uluru, ramada, caulfields etc etc where ever. these people wont come into support the city centre if parking is free, can park in JR square and they have the city to themselves, at which point they will complain that their was no one in town except themselves.

:D:D:D

Read what you posted Sully.:D You're the one who's a member (and supporter) of a political party - not me. Waterford City will always come first with me.

You really will do anything to defend FG, won't you? 'The minority of businesses" wouldn't agree I'd say, especially when MNCs on the estate saw a reduction.

Losers? Like the people of Ireland and the new taxes? And the gambling debt?
    Do try to stay on topic will ya?

Delusion of the highest order. Here are the facts: Waterford has - at every turn - suffered at the hands of your heroes. That is a fact that is indisputable.

:D:D:D:D

And there we have it. Defeated, but refusing to admit it. You can tell when someone turns to adding several emoticons to their post to make it 'look' like content, the only text is attacking the party they vote for and they completely sidestep the facts that were presented to them previously. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Max Powers wrote: »
    we are all disappointed by inequity, poor decisions like you say above in tendering processes and lack of govt support in general. However, i agree with invalid, pathetic and illinformed complaints on here about to a large extent irrelevant things to our struggle just undermines our struggle. its clear on here that people are willing to bitch and complain about the city centre and yet do nothing to little to support it, happy to sit on their out of town barstool out in Uluru, ramada, caulfields etc etc where ever. these people wont come into support the city centre if parking is free, can park in JR square and they have the city to themselves, at which point they will complain that their was no one in town except themselves.

I was being sarcastic. I thought that was obvious.

And there we have it. Defeated, but refusing to admit it. You can tell when someone turns to adding several emoticons to their post to make it 'look' like content, the only text is attacking the party they vote for and they completely sidestep the facts that were presented to them previously. :)

Defeated? How so Sully - do enlighten me!:D:D:D

You've tripped yourself up so many times in those earlier posts I've lost count really!:)

I was being sarcastic. I thought that was obvious.

apologies DP, nothing aimed at yourself there but just general comments on some of the previous posts here.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MrsMoon

some of the stuff on here is laughable!! are we now to believe that Waterford people drive to Kilkenny and Dublin to shop because of traffic lights and lack of access to parking??? really???? I don't know wether to laugh or cry!!

p.s. the overwhelming majority of parking spaces in Waterford city are operated by the PRIVATE sector and have NOTHING to do with the City Council!!!

Just for the record I do. Try driving from McDonalds on the Cork Road to the Car Park right beside the Plaza with two kids in the back crying because the car isn't moving. The trip taking over 35 mins on a Monday at 3pm during school mid term and having to get a buggy out with kids and trudge to Red Square to buy a pair of shoes then back to the car in the rain hoping the idiot nect to you has left enough room for you to get your kids in the car. It can be a nightmare. Then compare it to a smooth drive to Kilkenny no crying because the car is moving, getting the kids out in a wide enough space in a cheap indoor car park, getting the shoes kids have a free play in indoor play area, happy kids, easy drive home. And by the way I work in the town centre I hear the same every day from customers. Not once have I heard a positive thing said about getting to or around town.

Advertisement