Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi Connected but no internet (On some devices)

Options
  • 31-12-2013 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭

Quick overview of my home network – I have a main router on one side of the house where everything is connecting perfectly. I have a second router (TP-Link TD-W8951ND Ver.3, connected via cable to main router) where wired connections work perfectly, and the wireless connection with laptops and network printers work. However, devices such as the iPhone, Samsung Galaxy S4, iPad and Nexus 7 can all connect to the router but receive no internet connection. Everything works perfect in the LAN and everything can be pinged. Even NAS drives can be accessed.

Some things I tested on the router:
    • Disabled wireless security
    • Disabled router’s firewall
    • Disabled any MAC/IP filtering
    • Disabled WPS/QSS on the router
    • Changed wireless channels
    • Synchronised times with devices and router
    • Set router 2 static IP to 192.168.1.40
    • Set DHCP pool to start from 192.168.1.41 on router 2
    • Tested with various wireless security settings (to match master router)
    • Wireless signal is perfect (-45DBm)
    • Tested with Bridge mode to no avail
    • Upgraded router firmware
    • Reset router countless times

Some things I tested on the devices:
    • Set static IP addresses on any connecting devices with varying DNS servers (can’t ping them anyway)
    • Different web suggestions as turning airplane mode on/off, among others.
    • Not resetting devices as older devices still cannot access and new Nexus 7 cannot connect out of the box

The weird thing is the wireless function works with two laptops without any issues, but not on smaller devices? I know that I could just buy another router or wireless AP and it could work perfectly but I would rather try and fix this and leave it in the public domain for future searchers. There are a LOT of threads on the web that cite this issue but nothing that has really cleared this issue.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Quick question, have you disabled DHCP and pretty much everything else so the mobile devices are not trying to use it as a gateway.

Other then that, your issue would lie with the main router, as your inability to get outside the network is a routing issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Quick question, have you disabled DHCP and pretty much everything else so the mobile devices are not trying to use it as a gateway.

That's the thing - I had the second router completely disabled with only the bare minimum running. I even set the device's network adapter to statically hit both routers as gateways with no difference.
    Other then that, your issue would lie with the main router, as your inability to get outside the network is a routing issue.
    I would have imagined that it would affect the routing of any wireless devices (wired too) connected to router 2 as they all use the same gateways.

It's an odd one as it was actually working yesterday on all devices until I turned off the routers when leaving the house. Turning them back on led me back to the original problem. I can only see it as a fault with the second router as it now officially intermittent. The firewall/connection logs with the second router are crap so can't do much in terms of diagnosis. Think I will just buy a new router and use my second as a dumb switch... (and a wireless AP for laptops).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I would have imagined that it would affect the routing of any wireless devices (wired too) connected to router 2 as they all use the same gateways.

It's an odd one as it was actually working yesterday on all devices until I turned off the routers when leaving the house. Turning them back on led me back to the original problem. I can only see it as a fault with the second router as it now officially intermittent. The firewall/connection logs with the second router are crap so can't do much in terms of diagnosis. Think I will just buy a new router and use my second as a dumb switch... (and a wireless AP for laptops).

Ahh, that sounds more like a DHCP issue. When you turned off your router for a long period you wiped the database of given IP's. The mobile devices on the wifi would all show with the same MAC address(since they all come through the TPlink box) and most likely have not refreshed their leases and been given new IP's. At a guess I would say one or two are running with duplicate IP's, so they can't get out of the network(return packets being sent to the wrong device). I have found Android and Apple to be very lackluster in their implementation of the wireless standard.

I'm not sure how to reset on each device. You would need to google it. I'd start with checking what each device thinks its IP is.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

Hi there, got the same issue with my router since I got back after Xmas.

Device are cutting in and out with a 169. IP address. What's causing this change?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Without knowing the exact details, it sounds like there is confusion between the routers with DHCP. The first thing to do will be to make sure that the second router is outside the DHCP range, and is not defaulting to the same address as the main router. The main router needs to be the DHCP allocator, and DHCP must be OFF on the second router, and the gateway address in No 2 needs to be the address of the main gateway.

The other possible issue could be the security protocol being used on the routers, I had some issues here with a Samsung Galaxy that could not connect until I changed the security method that was being used on the second router.

Hope that helps

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

jaytobe wrote: »
    Hi there, got the same issue with my router since I got back after Xmas.

Device are cutting in and out with a 169. IP address. What's causing this change?

169. addresses are link local private addresses, basically an IP address that's being assigned by the OS because there isn't a real one for them.

Sounds like a DHCP issue

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

Now my router will not assign IP address to fixed ethernet connections.

All wifi connections working fine. However, when wired ethernet cable is connected to a laptop it disconnects the wifi also.

checked DHCP table and it does not see the fixed wired devices (smart tv, laptops). hence assigning static ip address to the mac addresses doesnt work.

Ran the following which I saw on a few websites:-

ipconfig /dnsflush
    ipconfig /release all
    and others but no change.

Any idea whats gone wrong here?

Advertisement