Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Watching TV etc on IPad

• 31-12-2013 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭

Hi there.

I'd be very grateful for any advice that anyone can offer with regard to something that I want to use my IPad for.
    I've just got an IPad with retina display. I have a few media apps on it such as Netflix , Filmon , Aertv and all the players. I'm watching programmes on the IPad using these apps. Whilst this is great what I ideally want to do is to be able to hook up the IPad to my telly ( which is a HDMI) and watch the programmes via the IPad on the telly. From my research it appears this can be done by buying a Digital AV Adapter. However I have seen contradictory posts in various forums- some says it works but a large proportion says that even in buying a genuine Apple adaptor it just doesn't work.
    Can anybody offer any advice? I'd be really grateful as I don't want to invest in something that doesn't work.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

An Apple tv might not be what you're after but airplay from the ipad to it will work, and will run netflix in its own right also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Thanks for the reply. I'm just talking about watching it on an ordinary TV.
    An Apple tv might not be what you're after but airplay from the ipad to it will work, and will run netflix in its own right also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

johnire wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I'm just talking about watching it on an ordinary TV.

Apple TV connects to your normal TV and streams content to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

You have to careful as some of the catch up players don't allow airplay. Most notably 4OD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Some apps don't let you use hdmi out either.
    Eg. 4OD, TV3, sky player
    Rte app works, I don't use Netflix myself but I believe it works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

From what I hear you have two choices:

Wired Via apple hdmi cable. Approx cost 50 euro

Wireless Via Apple TV. Approx cost 100 euros

Both allow Airplay and Airplay mirroring to apps that support it, however the Apple TV offers a lot more also.

I use the Apple TV everyday to wireless stream to my tv and watch Rte Player, Filmon, Netflix and Plex on it no problem.

Thank you.....I'll be honest I haven't a clue about Apple TV. What is it exactly?

Armonline wrote: »
    From what I hear you have two choices:

Wired Via apple hdmi cable. Approx cost 50 euro

Wireless Via Apple TV. Approx cost 100 euros

Both allow Airplay and Airplay mirroring to apps that support it, however the Apple TV offers a lot more also.

I use the Apple TV everyday to wireless stream to my tv and watch Rte Player, Filmon, Netflix and Plex on it no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Thank you.....I'll be honest I haven't a clue about Apple TV. What is it exactly?

It's a box which connects to your TV and connects to wifi . It can stream netflix etc. or you can "airplay" = mirror music and video from an iPad to the TV.

Ah ok. It seems specific to just one TV. Very simply I just want to be able to hook my ipad up to any tv in the house amend watch the programmes on that particular TV rather than being restricted to watch the programmes on the ipad itself.

It's a box which connects to your TV and connects to wifi . It can stream netflix etc. or you can "airplay" = mirror music and video from an iPad to the TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

Ah ok. It seems specific to just one TV. Very simply I just want to be able to hook my ipad up to any tv in the house amend watch the programmes on that particular TV rather than being restricted to watch the programmes on the ipad itself.

It is a small box the size of a hockey puck, so could be moved easily between TVs. Is as portable as a cable would be

• Advertisement
Advertisement