Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

quick question about generations three to five

• 31-12-2013 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

am wondering:
    1.what is the difference between pokemon emerald and Ruby/Sapphire in terms of pokemon you can catch and in features.If you have Emerald is there any point to having ruby and sapphire if i bought emerald ie does emerald have all the pokemon from ruby and sapphire
    2.what is the difference between pokemon emerald and Diamond/Pearl in terms of pokemon you can catch and in features.If you have Platinum is there any point to having Diamond and Pearl if i bought platinum ie does platinum have all the pokemon from diamond and pearl

also the same for b/w 1 and b/w 2.in other words are there pokemon that are availible only in black and white 1 that are not availible in black and white 2?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

The story for Emerald and Platinum is something like an expanded version of the stories for ruby/sapphire and diamond/pearl. It'll have the same basic story with a little extra essentially. Emerald in particular has more in its post-game over ruby and sapphire. As for the pokemon you can catch, have a look at this.

For B/W1 and B/W2, the story for 2 is kind of a continuation of 1. It's the same area with a little extra, but it's a different storyline, just with some references to B/W1. It takes place 3 years after the story from 1 I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭carlowplayer

so would that mean I would have to buy all three of each set Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and Diamond/Pearl/Platinum and both B&W 1/B&W 2
    in order to catch all pokemon?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

(I'll preface this by saying I'm quite drunk atm)

For R/S/E I'm not sure you can get all the pokemon unless you cheat. If I recall correctly there was no way to get certain pokémon unless you cheated them into the game, as they couldn't connect to second gen games so you couldn't. You could get most first gen ones through FireRed or LeafGreen.

Diamond, Pearl and Platinum has the GTS, so you might be able to get some pokémon there, or else use the pal park to move stuff from your gen 3 games forward.

As for B/W1 and 2, no you don't need both a B/W1 and B/W2 game to fill the dex in those as they have GTS too, and you can move stuff forward from the Gen 4 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I'll preface this by crediting anything said to a combination of alcohol and predictive text, for better or for worse.

In gen 3 take Emerald - its a sort of greatest hits of ruby/sapphire with knobs on. Gen 5... With the exceptions of Genesect, mutant Kyurem, Meloetta and Keldeo, forgive my spelling, you can get the same Mon from both. B/W1 forces you to use Gen 5 mon till post-E4 though so wins my vote.

Also, happy new year and may all your endeavours be shiny with a favourable nature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

To get all the gen 3 pokemon in RSE, you need Ruby, sapphire, emerald, firered, leafgreen, colosseum, and XD. And Pokemon channel.
    Gen 4 would also need some of gen 3. Ideally you'll go for the most recent generation, its easier now/

• Advertisement
Advertisement