Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops open New Year's Day?

Options
  • 01-01-2014 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭

Is any of the shops open?

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭puppydogeyes

Debenhams

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Most supermarkets normally stay closed. Not sure if any are breaking the unwritten rule this year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Tesco and Dunnes open. Lidl CLOSED

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭brimur69

What about the important ones, the hangover help, McDonald's, burger king, empty pockets etc etc :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Its a pity they can't seem to stay closed and let the staff have some time off...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

McD and Dunnes are open, I was there earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

buzz11 wrote: »
    Its a pity they can't seem to stay closed and let the staff have some time off...

Sure they get two days off per week anyway, and today would be basically double pay as they'd get paid for the days work and for the bank holiday.

I used to work in retail, always preferred working 5 days, getting paid for 6, and having my two days off, three days off would be too boring, unless of course ya wanna plan a city break or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Get Real wrote: »
    Sure they get two days off per week anyway, and today would be basically double pay as they'd get paid for the days work and for the bank holiday.

I used to work in retail, always preferred working 5 days, getting paid for 6, and having my two days off, three days off would be too boring, unless of course ya wanna plan a city break or something.

Ya sure who likes time off at a festive time of year like now.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Get Real wrote: »
    Sure they get two days off per week anyway

Its disgusting the way the long standing tradition of reopening on 27th has been steadily eroded back to 26th, it doesn't give staff a chance to have a break at all.
    I try and avoid shopping at this time of year in Next and Currys because of it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ya sure who likes time off at a festive time of year like now.:rolleyes:

People from nonChristian traditions, and those with no family here, and students who are focussed on earning cash to support their studies are often pretty happy to be working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

People from nonChristian traditions, and those with no family here, and students who are focussed on earning cash to support their studies are often pretty happy to be working.

As a student and part time retail worker i can most definitely say i enjoyed having a day off today, so i guess that puts that one to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Are all shops/businesses in the city open again as normal today? (as in Thurs 2nd Jan)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Col200sx wrote: »
    Are all shops/businesses in the city open again as normal today? (as in Thurs 2nd Jan)

Thanks

The vast majority, yes. 2 Jan is not a public holiday in Ireland.

As a student and part time retail worker i can most definitely say i enjoyed having a day off today, so i guess that puts that one to bed.

I'm glad for you. But I also know full well that not every student feels the same way, and that some would rather have had the money, and a day off later on when normal businesses are open.

Advertisement