Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bit of advice needed.

• 01-01-2014 12:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭

Well folks, looking someone to point me in the right direction I am currently looking for a good coffee machine for home use. Currently using a small French press and the results are not great. I would love to get something that will make a great coffee with plenty of crema(sp?).
    There is a mountain of different machines out there with different price points and options. Need a few recommendations of units to look at or websites to compare. As for price point is it a case of the more you pay the better end product??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭Optimum

Look at me the mad B@stard looking recommendations for coffee machines at 11:30 on new years eve, rock and roll.. Have a good 2014 folks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Do you have a grinder? That would probably be a better investment to improve your French Press coffee. A Hand Grinder(Burr not blade) would be sufficient for French Press.

For espresso you will need an electric grinder plus the machine.

2 good machines to look at would be the Rancilio Silvia and the Gaggia Classic, both reliable home espresso makers. However look at the grinder first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭Optimum

Thanks for the reply, I will probably go down the line of getting an espresso machine, like the rancilio you mentioned, as for the electric grinder I read here that you should spend as much or more on a good grinder..? Would the rancilo rocky grinder be acceptable for home use!? We would be consuming approx 6-8 coffee's a day do I look at a dosing grinder or non Doser..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Optimum wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, I will probably go down the line of getting an espresso machine, like the rancilio you mentioned, as for the electric grinder I read here that you should spend as much or more on a good grinder..? Would the rancilo rocky grinder be acceptable for home use!? We would be consuming approx 6-8 coffee's a day do I look at a dosing grinder or non Doser..?

Rancilio Rocky (and similar like: Eureka Mignon, Mahlkönig Vario, etc.) is perfectly suitable for espresso for home use.

I think you'd probably want to avoid a doser since on many (all?) you basically have to fill it (with 6 doses or so) before it gives you one dose. And that ground coffee sitting in there will get stale before you serve it usually. Dosers are really for high-volume places like cafes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Rocky gets good reviews, should be perfectly suitable to your needs .. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

rocky used to get good reviews...it's an outdated grinder with many better value grinders out there. Not nearly good enough adjustment!

Advertisement