Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Dodgy Chinese take away - how can I test the "beef"?

• 01-01-2014 3:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

This is a food safety issue, so I don't know what is the most appropriate forum.

I've just arrived back from a Chinese Takeaway. As it was very late, the Chinese in question was the only one open and it was my first time there. I had ordered a beef curry and boiled rice. When I put it on the plate the "beef" looked, well, more like prawns, or lumps of fat of some sort, like the leftover from an animal which they got from a butcher. I tasted it and it wasn't beef as I know it. More like lumps of fat from other animals. I put it aside after the first taste and it's now sitting in the kitchen ready to be thrown out.

However, I don't like the idea of these people getting away with charging me for something which I did not request under the pretence that it is what I requested. It's not the money, it's that I like to have confidence that takeaways have a decent minimum standard in what they get away with supplying. The "what the fúck was that" feeling after eating is also disturbing and I'd like to help close down restaurants which treat our health like this. At the very least the offence is one of mislabeling a product and fraudulently selling it.

At any rate, I don't want to leave that "meat" smelling out the kitchen for too long but before I throw it out I'm wondering is there any way I can get this meat tested to see what exactly it was? Would it be expensive? I surmise the relevant state body would be too busy to examine this so, aside from throwing it out and forgetting about it, do I have any way to expose what this restaurant is selling under the guise of "beef"?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Freeze the meat first off (that way it'll last longer and avoid stinking out the kitchen). I think there's a food safety hotline but I can't think of it at the moment (chances are it won't be open till Thursday mind). Also hang onto the receipt if you still have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

As P_1 said, freeze it.

If you have loads of money to spend, there are labs that can do food composition tests. Alternatively, if you feel your statement has good basis, contact the fsai.

Mod: Gentle reminder, do not name the takeaway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

http://www.qlab.ie/food_testing.html

There is a national lab also but it will still cost you. I would get it tested if I was you or at least confront the chinese

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Was the place busy, is it possible you got someone elses order?

Does the receipt have the correct order on it?

Prawns are pretty easy to identify imo so you should be able to distinguish between lumps of fat or something similar and prawns. Wash off one of the 'prawns' and you should easily be able to tell. At least if its prawns its more possible you got the wrong item as oppose to them selling dodgy food or mislabeling a product and fraudulently selling it.

Worse case if you cant identify it post a pic (id take one anyways just to show how it was before freezing), freeze it as advised and if you really feel you were sold something fraudulently then contact the fsai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Sounds to me like you got what they call "Cantonese Style" meat.

It's bite size pieces of whatever meat you ordered deep fried in batter then put in the sauce. It's meant to be crispy but more often than not it ends up soggy and not unlike pieces of congealed fat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Food & Drink

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,793 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

We do not discuss food safety in this forum - yours is more of a Consumer Issue tbh.
    Sorry OP - nowhere left to go. Best to follow P_1's advice above.
    Closed.
    tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement