Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When do you let newborn lambs out to pasture?

• 01-01-2014 9:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭

Hi folks.

How many days do you keep newborn lambs in the shed for at this time of the year?

Thanks DK

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

DK man wrote: »
    Hi folks.

How many days do you keep newborn lambs in the shed for at this time of the year?

Thanks DK

It all depends on grass availability and shelter. In this wet weather is be inclined to leave them in for a few days extra of u have room in the sheds. If u don't then I'd let them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭DK man

sea12 wrote: »
    It all depends on grass availability and shelter. In this wet weather is be inclined to leave them in for a few days extra of u have room in the sheds. If u don't then I'd let them out.

I have plenty of room in the shed - grass supplies are ok at the moment and I have fodder beet too. My min problem is that I have very little naural shelter as previous owner cut down and dug out most of the ditches ( even though he was getting reps!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

We try to let them in and out for a few days and out at night at about 14 days, but in this weather in and out is a cert for pneumonia so we are trying to make room. We need a few days of frost but not much chance of that I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

DK man wrote: »
    I have plenty of room in the shed - grass supplies are ok at the moment and I have fodder beet too. My min problem is that I have very little naural shelter as previous owner cut down and dug out most of the ditches ( even though he was getting reps!)

Lack of natural shelter is certainly a disadvantage in this type of weather. In this scenario i would try and keep them in for as long as possible and maybe consider providing lamb jackets for the weaker lambs when you have to let them out and the weather is still bad. In the longer term consider planting some hedging to lessen exposure for stock. I sowed some whitethorn under REPS a few years back and both sheep and sucklers certainly appreciate it on days like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

I was just wondering the same thing myself DK.

I have a handful of lambs 4 - 7 days old, I was thinking of leaving em out tomorrow into a paddock onto the shed. If the weather is anyway good. It's threatening enough here today, and the forecast is poor.

If the lambs were strong, and the weather dryer, I'd leave em out after 4+ days. But, I'd like to have em out by day for a few day or two beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

I haven't left any lambs out yet. Oldest are 2 weeks old now, but the youngest is only 5 days.

Really would like to throw em out, but the weather is bad, and the forecast is poor. We had torrential downpours last night. So I'd say they'll be inside for a while yet.

Donthe early lambing lads on bere have many lambs out? And how are they doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

letting off a batch to morrow,between 6 to 10 days old

will be holding back triplets and a couple of lambs with sore eyes

changed from charolais rams a couple of years ago, found the lambs too bare and soft & needed to be housed for too long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

jt65 wrote: »
    letting off a batch to morrow,between 6 to 10 days old

will be holding back triplets and a couple of lambs with sore eyes

changed from charolais rams a couple of years ago, found the lambs too bare and soft & needed to be housed for too long

Try the jackets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

I bought some of the plastic jackets last year but haven't used them yet . What do people think of them . Is there any bad points/dangers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I bought some of the plastic jackets last year but haven't used them yet . What do people think of them . Is there any bad points/dangers?

Ewes can jump a bit when you put them on first, because the lamb "rattles" a bit in them. Have had the odd suspicious ewe but never had a rejection so far. Had one lamb get fouled up in his jacket, had a front leg caught up, probably the jacket was a bit big for him. Had no casualties or problems really. Would keep an eye on any lamb that looks to be approaching a size that'd be too big for the jacket, paranoid one may be made wrong and it might cut into him, hasn't happened, just me :D

All positive points about them Spring 2013!

• Advertisement

Farrell wrote: »
    Try the jackets?

ones available locally are too small and don't suit our lambs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Been using them the last few years, no trouble with ewes.
    Some are off after a few days, others a few weeks (caught in briars)
    Their only a few cent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

jt65 wrote: »
    ones available locally are too small and don't suit our lambs

You can buy different sizes online.

You can buy different sizes online.

any link ?

TG for a fine morning at last, just done a major evacuation from the lambing shed, first in 5 days

no losses to the weather yet and we got it fair rough here since last Friday

those Hampshires and vendeens are well able for what the man above throws at them

still feeding a lb of meal to ewes though wouldn't trust grass alone just yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭dave747

a week here since any went out and dont if i would chance any today either very overcast and according to the forecast friday not goin to be a great day, dont want to have to rehouse any.

Advertisement