Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forever run

Options
  • 01-01-2014 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭

Here I go,
    Started running February 2013 from a zero base and got completely addicted.
    Took part in numerous 5k-10k races, 3hm's and the dcm. Here are some pb's

5k 20:30(streets of Wicklow)
    10k 42:50(training time trial)
    Hm 1:40:11(4-5 weeks before dcm, ferns, was holding back a bit so definitely can knock 3-6 min of this time)
    Dcm 3:43

Probably averaged 30 miles per week last year peaking at about 50 3-4 weeks before dcm.
    Goals for the year as follows;
    5k - 19:30
    10k - sub 40
    10mile - sub 67
    Hm - sub 92
    Marathon - sub 3:30

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Good luck with the training, the targets look sensible and achievable with consistent and specific training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Good luck with the training, the targets look sensible and achievable with consistent and specific training.

Thanks beep beep,
    Any help/advice much appreciated

Monday 30/12/13
    3 mile easy/recovery. No issues

Tuesday 31/12/13
    10x400m@ under 5kpace......10x400m@easy pace. With warm up and warm down. Very comfortable.

Rest day scheduled for today so naturally enough did a five mile run @ 7:58 pace. Legs a tad heavy, but I'll put that down to six days running with no rest.
    I'll rest tomorrow:D

Rest day today alright.
    Decided to pencil in the ferricarrig 5mile for the 12.01.14, followed by the enniscorthy 10k on the 09.02.14. Looking at other treads these seem to be very well organised events. These two runs will give me good indications to where I'm at regarding my goals for the year.
    Next three runs for this week are hopefully;
    5mile steady tomorrow,
    Interval session sat,
    11-12 run Sunday morning......we shall see....

• Advertisement

Decided to switch today's and tomorrow's runs.
    Good session today on the thread, hence the distances in Km's.......
    1k warm up at 6 min / km
    2k @ mp. 5min/km
    2k@hmp. 4:39min/km
    2.5k @ 10kp. 4:16min/km
    2.3km warm down at decreasing pace.
    Total 6.1miles

Above at a very slight incline to add a bit of resistance.
    The last two speed sessions have been comfortable enough and have been based on my current race speeds. Is this correct? Should I tweak it a bit or wait till I complete a few more races before I adjust? Comments/suggestions much appreciated, thanks

Here I go,
    Started running February 2013 from a zero base and got completely addicted.
    Took part in numerous 5k-10k races, 3hm's and the dcm. Here are some pb's

5k 20:30(streets of Wicklow)
    10k 42:50(training time trial)
    Hm 1:40:11(4-5 weeks before dcm, ferns, was holding back a bit so definitely can knock 3-6 min of this time)
    Dcm 3:43

Probably averaged 30 miles per week last year peaking at about 50 3-4 weeks before dcm.
    Goals for the year as follows;
    5k - 19:30
    10k - sub 40
    10mile - sub 67
    Hm - sub 92
    Marathon - sub 3:30
    Would also like to do >2000 miles this year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Decided to switch today's and tomorrow's runs.
    Good session today on the thread, hence the distances in Km's.......
    1k warm up at 6 min / km
    2k @ mp. 5min/km
    2k@hmp. 4:39min/km
    2.5k @ 10kp. 4:16min/km
    2.3km warm down at decreasing pace.
    Total 6.1miles

Above at a very slight incline to add a bit of resistance.
    The last two speed sessions have been comfortable enough and have been based on my current race speeds. Is this correct? Should I tweak it a bit or wait till I complete a few more races before I adjust? Comments/suggestions much appreciated, thanks

I'd wait til your next race and then adjust based on something like a McMillan calculator.
    But if your next race is a long time away, then adjust very
    slightly upwards.

I'd wait til your next race and then adjust based on something like a McMillan calculator.
    But if your next race is a long time away, then adjust very
    slightly upwards.

Cheers,
    I'm doing the ferricarrig 5mile next week so I'll work from there.......

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭irish_bhoy82

Going by your PB's and with you just starting running in Feb 13, You sound like a very impressive runner and naturally fit runner at that. All the best with your goals for the year.

Going by your training so far I cant see you having any problems with achieving your goals.

• Advertisement

7.5 mile @ 7:55/mile today.
    Miles 3-5 felt a bit rough on the legs but kept the pace and got through the last couple of miles comfortably enough. Best week training since dcm and feeling very strong.
    Looking forward to a long run during the hurricane tomorrow :rolleyes:

Headed out yesterday morning before nine for the weekly long run. Missed the worst of the wheather. Had company for this run for a change and completed 11.1miles with a couple of 0.6mile bursts at about 5k pace. Overall average was 8:01 min/mile. Very fresh during and after this run and was tempted to head back out last night but decided against. Plan to head out this evening for a 4ish mile run.
    Planing a five mile race in Wexford this weekend and very much looking forward to it. Aiming for a sub 45min run, could be selling myself a bit short but time(pun intended) will tell as they say........

Headed out yesterday morning before nine for the weekly long run. Missed the worst of the wheather. Had company for this run for a change and completed 11.1miles with a couple of 0.6mile bursts at about 5k pace. Overall average was 8:01 min/mile. Very fresh during and after this run and was tempted to head back out last night but decided against. Plan to head out this evening for a 4ish mile run.
    Planing a five mile race in Wexford this weekend and very much looking forward to it. Aiming for a sub 45min run, could be selling myself a bit short but time(pun intended) will tell as they say........

Above should be sub 35:o

Did about 30min core work today.
    Headed out tonight and did 5.4 hilly miles at a nice steady 8:20 min/mile pace. Great sense of satisfaction when you don't think twice about running in near hurricane conditions. Mileage might be down a bit this week due to race at weekend, might do a 10 mile cool down after it....:eek:

Mileage might be down a bit this week due to race at weekend, might do a 10 mile cool down after it....:eek:

I don't know you well enough to know if you are joking or not :D

But on the off chance that you are actually considering doing 10 miles after the race, I'd strongly advise not to - Career Move told me off advised about something similar recently - can lead to injury etc.
    If she reads your log, she can explain it............. :pac:

But on the off chance that you are actually considering doing 10 miles after the race, I'd strongly advise not to - Career Move told me off advised about something similar recently - can lead to injury etc.
    God no, only joking.. Just a mile or two after the race is the order of the day.....:D

17x600m laps on grass today. Ground very heavy as you can imagine (might invest in spikes), laps consisted of the following;
    4x warm up laps
    4x mp laps
    4x hmp laps
    3x 10k pace laps
    2x warm down laps

Good session if a bit tough on the legs.......

No running yesterday, needed the rest after the session in the mud. Just did twenty or so minutes throwing a few weights around the room.
    Headed out this evening and did 5.4 hilly miles at 8:20min/mile pace. Legs felt good and breathing was spot on. Guilty feeling not been able to do the miles this week but need to stay fresh for the first(of many) race of the year..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Did I really?? That's most unlike me to offer unsolicited advice :P Sounds like the kind of thing I might have said to my auld friend Runningking ;)

Good run today. 7.2 mile run at 7:54min/mile pace. Lashing ran, I didn't mind but my nipples didn't appreciate! Got some strange looks indeed........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

The training's looking good. Like others have mentioned, you seem to have some talent and if you work at consistency and don't rush things, you'll make good improvements this year. Gotta be getting excited about the race this w/e!

Stazza wrote: »
    The training's looking good. Like others have mentioned, you seem to have some talent and if you work at consistency and don't rush things, you'll make good improvements this year. Gotta be getting excited about the race this w/e!
    Thanks stanza. Yes very much looking forward to the upcoming race if just to see we're I'm at. A year running now and most of my training done on my own based on bits and pieces I've looked up on the web, however I just joined a club and hopefully this can bring me to the next level as I feel after about twenty years looking I have finally found my "thing"......

Today was the first race day I didn't get my gear ready the night before and I went and forgot the watch! The race was the ferricarrig 5mile and had to do it by feel...... Conditions we're wet and wild which probably had an effect on the numbers. My "tell everyone" goal time was sub 35 but secretly I thought I could get close to 34m. I did. I went round in 33:46 so I might leave the watch behind for the next race. :)

Super running - congrats! Well done beating your goal time in less than ideal conditions.

(Everyone on Boards knows that the time they put out there isn't the real 'A' goal ;) )

Great run. Always nice to exceed your expectations, especially given the conditions. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Congrats Barry that's a brill time, you will be smashing all those targets in no time no bother to you. And conditions sounded very tough so easily worth another chunk of time. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Cherry popped - onwards and upwards!

Bad day yesterday:( we shall call it a rest day...... Had my first training session with the club tonight very enjoyable. 5.4 miles in total with 3x1.2k at 4:15, 4:09, and 4:12 paces. Might try and get another session in on Thursday with plenty of slow miles for the rest of the week.....

Bad day yesterday:( we shall call it a rest day...... Had my first training session with the club tonight very enjoyable. 5.4 miles in total with 3x1.2k at 4:15, 4:09, and 4:12 paces. Might try and get another session in on Thursday with plenty of slow miles for the rest of the week.....

That's a handy enough session: 5:36(ish) pace! That 5k pb of yours is gonna tumble.

• Advertisement

That's a handy enough session: 5:36 pace. Your 5k pb looks like it's gonna take a tumble.

Advertisement