Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forever run

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Took a rest day yesterday. The legs were in bits. Looking back on the run I did Sunday it was 14-15 miles at mp pace give or take so a rest day yesterday was probably a good idea.

Today I did 6.1 easy/steady miles on grass. A bit sluggish starting off but got into grand. Had a good stretch afterwards and all is good. I'll probably leave this weeks session till Thursday.

Not a good run today. Combination of a stiff hip:confused:, sore throat and very humid conditions made it an extremely unpleasant lunchtime run indeed.
    Did about 5 miles.
    Depending how I feel tomorrow this could be a good time for a week of easy runs to recharge the batteries...

RHR 42. 10:00am

Ah who did I think I was kidding, easy week me ar€e.
    Session this evening.
    6 x 3min @ 5k effort. Was meant to do this off 2:30 recovery but reduced it to 2:00 as I recovered quickly after the first one and just kept it consistent for the rest. Last rep was a bit of a struggle but got it done.
    About 6 miles in total.
    RHR 43 09:30hrs.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Ah who did I think I was kidding, easy week me ar€e.
    Session this evening.
    6 x 3min @ 5k effort. Was meant to do this off 2:30 recovery but reduced it to 2:00 as I recovered quickly after the first one and just kept it consistent for the rest. Last rep was a bit of a struggle but got it done.
    About 6 miles in total.
    RHR 43 09:30hrs.......

Barry, methinks you weren't working hard enough if you didn't need to take the full recoveries;) I relish every MILISECOND of my paltry 60 or 90 sec recoveries!!!

Ososlo wrote: »
    Barry, methinks you weren't working hard enough if you didn't need to take the full recoveries;) I relish every MILISECOND of my paltry 60 or 90 sec recoveries!!!

Forgot to mention they were jog recoveries, but yes you could be right or maybe I have superhuman recovery capabilities:D.
    Seriously though, when I was doing sessions previously I used to go hell for leather and felt I got no benefit. I was doing 800's in under 3 mins but in races I was getting nowhere near these paces.
    I'll probably drop the recovery to 90/100 sec the next time I try this session.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Lord Byron

Forgot to mention they were jog recoveries, but yes you could be right or maybe I have superhuman recovery capabilities:D.
    Seriously though, when I was doing sessions previously I used to go hell for leather and felt I got no benefit. I was doing 800's in under 3 mins but in races I was getting nowhere near these paces.
    I'll probably drop the recovery to 90/100 sec the next time I try this session.....

You remind me of that young upstart, Johny Keats. His name was [writ] in water. Haha! Now then Old Bean, methinks you might find that the concept of running hard for 180 secs and taking 120-150 secs recovery makes this, the classic VO2 Max workout. If you shorten the recovery, you change the dynamics of the session. Effectively, you'll be changing the workout from a 3k pace session to a 5k pace session. Better off taking 150-180 secs rec (as suggested in all the serious studies) and hurtling yourself along some scenic boreen, at a speed that feels like 3k pace. But then, I might be wrong. Haha, the thought of Lord Byron being wrong about anything. Haha! Haha!

Lord Byron wrote: »
    You remind me of that young upstart, Johny Keats. His name was [writ] in water. Haha! Now then Old Bean, methinks you might find that the concept of running hard for 180 secs and taking 120-150 secs recovery makes this, the classic VO2 Max workout. If you shorten the recovery, you change the dynamics of the session. Effectively, you'll be changing the workout from a 3k pace session to a 5k pace session. Better off taking 150-180 secs rec (as suggested in all the serious studies) and hurtling yourself along some scenic boreen, at a speed that feels like 3k pace. But then, I might be wrong. Haha, the thought of Lord Byron being wrong about anything. Haha! Haha!
    wise words my mad, poetic, tanned friend ;)

Friday 18.07.2014
    6.2 miles easy. Felt unwell.....

Saturday 19.07.2014
    Right off! Still feeling a bit iffy so put the feet up....

Sunday 20.07.2014
    Feeling somewhat better so went for a bit of a run in the evening. Didn't go too bad, after a couple of miles I decided to spice it up a little. Did 2 x 800, 2 x 600, and 2 x 440(lap of a pitch). All hard with full walk/jog recoveries. Not a mad session or anything but didn't want to chance any more.
    Covered about 6.5 miles in total.
    I have a 3 mile race (originally 4.5 but had to be change) this Thursday night, a very hilly trail run so easy miles with strides up to then.....

Headed out for 6 hilly, easy miles this evening. Felt great and it evolved into a steady run, averaged out at about 8:15 pace. No issues.....

7 hot and heavy lunchtime miles today. All easy. Couple of strides near the end...

• Advertisement

Wed 23.07.14
    4.1 easy miles on grass.

Thurs 24.07.14
    Fit 4 life run this evening. Tough enough trail run. It was a "guess your time race". It was down as a 3 miler but it was in around the 6k mark by all accounts.

Anyway this race turned out to be a real confidence booster. I have been aiming to beat a dude for about a year and I finally did it. He had about 3-5 seconds on me the last race and I had about 20-30 seconds on him last night. Also I found myself scrapping with a junior runner who had 62 seconds on my the last race, but only 3-5 seconds last night. Going by all this I can only be happy.
    I'll have a better picture of things when the official results are out.

I really like these races as they serve as a great indicator of were you're at, and are always very well organised by the local clubs involved.....

About 6.5 miles in total.....

5 mile hilly run, kept it very easy

4 easy miles on grass. Had a good old stretch after, felt nice and recovered after this one.....

15 mile (2:06)
    Kept it at about 8:45 pace for the first 70 mins and picked it up a bit thereafter.
    6x45sec strides in the last 2/3 miles. Started at 5k effort and tried to increase the effort for the rest. Hit 5:30 pace for the last one. Enjoyed this one today...

28.07.2014 - rest

29.07.2014 - 4 miles easy

Today - today called for 10x1min on/off (jog recoveries) followed by 10x30sec on/off (jog recoveries).
    Gave this one a good go this evening and needed all the recovery. Felt a bit sick/weak after the last min section but kept it going. Legs like jelly after these but recovered during the cool down.....
    8 miles total

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

28.07.2014 - rest

29.07.2014 - 4 miles easy

Today - today called for 10x1min on/off (jog recoveries) followed by 10x30sec on/off (jog recoveries).
    Gave this one a good go this evening and needed all the recovery. Felt a bit sick/weak after the last min section but kept it going. Legs like jelly after these but recovered during the cool down.....
    8 miles total

That's a deceptively tough session - really takes it out of the legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Sweet. Nicely done BazzaBoy - you're dropping out some consistently good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Stazza wrote: »

Jesus, look who's back, look who's back, will the real slim shady please stand up :)

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Jesus, look who's back, look who's back, will the real slim shady please stand up :)

TbL

I have a very vivid picture of you with a back to front baseball hat and shades rapping that. Shudders :D

Stazza wrote: »

Cheers stazza, welcome back!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Tom Joad wrote: »
    I have a very vivid picture of you with a back to front baseball hat and shades rapping that. Shudders :D

“'97 Bonnie and Clyde,” The Slim Shady LP, First Verse (1999)

"Oh where's Tom Joad He's taking a little nap in the trunk / Oh that smell? TbL musta runned over a skunk"

:)

TbL

Tom Joad wrote: »
    That's a deceptively tough session - really takes it out of the legs.

Yea, wasn't expecting it to be as tough as it was. I did it on grass/gravel so I suppose a bit of extra strength was sucked out of the legs....

• Advertisement

7.5 easy lunchtime miles today. Had only intended doing five or six, ah well......

5 very easy miles today. Legs were telling me off this morning so gave them a bit of a break. Went exploring out towards Ringsend/Sandymount direction, nice run.....

6 steady/easy miles this morning. Did 2x1min burst @ about 3k effort towards the end of the run just to spice it up a bit......

Woke up this morning with a sore throat and runny honker, man flu at its worst, ahhhh poor me.
    The sensible thing to do would be to take it easy, so I got into the car, drove to wicklow and entered a 5k race. What a stupid thing to do.
    The course itself didn't help matters as it was a tough rolling, lumpy bitch of a course with a nasty wind. Fairly struggled the whole way round and took a fit of coughing on the cool down a 100 a day smoker would have been proud of.

Anyway enough excuses:D, I managed to go around in 20:01. I know I'll hammer the crap out of this time with a decent course and well rested legs.
    A good workout all the same, not a day for a fast time.....
    About 7.5 miles total

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Silly boy. Fingers crossed you'll survive the night...

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Woke up this morning with a sore throat and runny honker, man flu at its worst, ahhhh poor me.
    The sensible thing to do would be to take it easy, so I got into the car, drove to wicklow and entered a 5k race. What a stupid thing to do.
    The course itself didn't help matters as it was a tough rolling, lumpy bitch of a course with a nasty wind. Fairly struggled the whole way round and took a fit of coughing on the cool down a 100 a day smoker would have been proud of.

Anyway enough excuses:D, I managed to go around in 20:01. I know I'll hammer the crap out of this time with a decent course and well rested legs.
    A good workout all the same, not a day for a fast time.....
    About 7.5 miles total

Sweet time on tired legs and sick body, good on ya.

8.5 steady/easy miles tonight. 4x1min strides in the last couple of miles...

6 easy lunchtime miles today, struggled a little starting off but settled eventually.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Question: If I recall correctly you are following a plan off the Boston marathon site (I may have my logs confused here). What is a "steady" pace run ?

• Advertisement

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Question: If I recall correctly you are following a plan off the Boston marathon site (I may have my logs confused here). What is a "steady" pace run ?

I was following a variation of that plan alright(steady pace was about 8:10-8:20).
    However after a bit of thought and some very good advice I decided to drop my marathon ambitions for this year. Instead I will be following a much more structured long term plan which hopefully will result in numerous PB's and a crack at a decent marathon time in 2016....

Advertisement