Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forever run

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I was following a variation of that plan alright(steady pace was about 8:10-8:20).
    However after a bit of thought and some very good advice I decided to drop my marathon ambitions for this year. Instead I will be following a much more structured long term plan which hopefully will result in numerous PB's and a crack at a decent marathon time in 2016....

What about 2015?
    We're only halfway through 2014!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

yaboya1 wrote: »
    What about 2015?
    We're only halfway through 2014!

The main goal for 2015 will be a hm late summer/autumn...

Swapped tonight's session for a local 5k. Felt good today so was looking forward to it as I knew the course like the back of my hand.
    Felt fairly controlled for the race. A nice fast section balanced out by a very tough 500m hill towards the end of the race.
    Got around in 19:48, so was worth doing. Feeling nice and fresh after the race, no issues.
    Warm up/down, total a little over 6 miles.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Good stuff Barry, well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Well done Barry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

steady pace was about 8:10-8:20.

Yeah ... I've learned the hard way that trying to squeeze in marathons does not pay off long term. Re steady pace : what I was really asking was how do you calculate it ... some % of mathon or 10k, or % of HR ? I'm trying to figure out what it is called in other plans. Nice 5k time !

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Yeah ... I've learned the hard way that trying to squeeze in marathons does not pay off long term. Re steady pace : what I was really asking was how do you calculate it ... some % of mathon or 10k, or % of HR ? I'm trying to figure out what it is called in other plans. Nice 5k time !

Not sure where I got it from but I used mp(7:30) +10%(45sec)= 8:15 pace.
    Never ran by HR. I just keep an eye on the RHR to make sure I'm recovered from the last session before I start another one...

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Great running Barry well done. Imagine with some rest beforehand what you could do?!

6.2 miles easy. No issues from yesterday's run.

The weighing scales I had was about 15 years old so I bought a new one yesterday. Old one had me weighing in at twelve and a half stone but the new one has me at a pound shy of thirteen:eek:. Was annoyed at first but then realised I have a lot my scope for improvement so happy days.
    Herself was rightly p1ssed however:D........

I intended to do my long run tomorrow but have the kids most of the day so had no choice but to do it today. Plan was for 2hrs with 50 min progression but as I still had a race in the legs from two days ago I decided to shorten it by ten min.
    Got 13.5 miles done, splits:
    8:46, 8:27, 8:22, 8:19, 8:33, 8:27, 7:55, 7:44, 7:40, 7:14, 6:58, 8:31, 8:20, + a bit......
    Nailed the progression part of the run(5miles) and was feeling it at the end....

• Advertisement

Lovely :)
    Love progression runs!

Managed to get 5 easy miles in early this morning.

I've settled on my remaining races before training really gets going.

August 30th Tinryland 4 mile

September 4th fit 4 life 5k, Shanganagh

September 13th Athlone half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Perfect.
    Managed to get 5 easy miles in early this morning.

I've settled on my remaining races before training really gets going.

August 30th Tinryland 4 mile

September 4th fit 4 life 5k, Shanganagh

September 13th Athlone half

8 steady, hilly miles this evening.
    Felt like I was floating for this run. Maybe it had something to do with a thirteen hour sleep I had last night/this morning:P

7 steady, hilly miles this evening. No issues. Cruised along just under 8:00 min pace....

Today called for 6 x5min @10k effort of 3min. First time doing this session and found them very tough indeed. On my knees after the last one, couldn't even manage a proper cool down. I lapped the splits as I went along and checked the paces after.

Splits;
    6:32
    6:40
    6:19
    6:45
    6:38
    6:37
    Very inconsistent but the average(6:35) was about right.
    About 8 miles total.......

6 slow/steady miles tonight. After carrying a four year old on my shoulders around Dublin for 6 hours there was a distinct lack of motivation to get out for this one, so I had to suck it up...........

5 easy miles (3 on grass 2 on the road) with a few strides. Legs a tad heavy for this one...

Long trot today.
    2:01:42, 15.31 miles covered.
    The last hour of this run today called for 2x20min HEAE with the last 3 min of the second 20 hard.
    First hour covered in about 8:20 pace.
    First 20min section @7:15 pace
    Second 20 section - 17 min @ 7:12 pace then 3 min @ 6:47 pace. (Felt faster).
    Absolutely love these long run sessions, they seem to suit me.
    Rest tomorrow......

After a relaxing day yesterday did a nice steady 8 miles this morning @ 7:53 pace. Steady pace starting to get a tad quicker me thinks.....

• Advertisement

Oh the joys of sessions.
    16x1min on/off.
    After the first three I was thinking nooooooo. But got through it in the end. And did one for luck. Plan was to do these at 6min pace or less, here's how they went.
    5:49(pace), 5:46, 5:49, 6:16, 5:23, 5:41, 5:30, 5:40, 5:58, 5:56, 6:05, 6:10, 5:55, 6:03, 5:51, 5:51, 5:36. Average pace 5:50.
    Happy with the average but not the consistency.

This was all done on grass.
    8 miles total

Oh the joys of sessions.
    16x1min on/off.
    After the first three I was thinking nooooooo. But got through it in the end. And did one for luck. Plan was to do these at 6min pace or less, here's how they went.
    5:49(pace), 5:46, 5:49, 6:16, 5:23, 5:41, 5:30, 5:40, 5:58, 5:56, 6:05, 6:10, 5:55, 6:03, 5:51, 5:51, 5:36. Average pace 5:50.

8 miles total
    Nice one! Esp as it was on grass. I got that soon!
    Did you keep an eye on watch or do it by feel?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Am I right in thinking you're running in Longford this Sunday Barry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Oh the joys of sessions.
    16x1min on/off.

8 miles total

Well done Bazza. That's a great session. Make sure and to go easy over the next few days: that long run with the 2x20mins and then the 1 min efforts will take a good bit out of you. Allow the body to recover and let the adaptations take place. You're about to make a breakthrough...

Ososlo wrote: »
    Nice one! Esp as it was on grass. I got that soon!
    Did you keep an eye on watch or do it by feel?

By feel. Just used the lap button as I went along then worked out the paces after. Hope the watch is accurate!

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking you're running in Longford this Sunday Barry?

That was the original plan alright but decided to shelve the marathon for a year or two and try and get quicker!

4.5 lunchtime miles today, nice and easy.......

5 very easy/recovery lunchtime miles today. Could feel Tuesday's session in the legs. Had a good old stretch half way through the run..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Super session the other day B, looks a tough one!

• Advertisement

Super session the other day B, looks a tough one!
    cheers O, yes it was tough alright, very deceptive

Advertisement