Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forever run

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Stazza wrote: »
    That's a handy enough session: 5:36 pace. Your 5k pb looks like it's gonna take a tumble.

Thanks stazza,
    This time last year I was crawling a 5k in 28 min and have been consistently improving ever since. I think(hope) I might have to revise some of my goal times for the year especially 5k in 19:30 and dcm 3:30. But one patient step at a time me thinks......

Planned 5 miles this evening only did 3.5. It felt like I was running through custard. I think the session two days after the race was not a good idea, trying to make an impression on my first night training with the new club..:rolleyes:

After the bad run wed night I put the feet up last night and caught up on the knitting. Worked a treat, had my second session with the club tonight and I really enjoyed it. On a 1k loop we ran hard up hill for the first 1/3, took it easy down the hill for the second 1/3 and hard on the flat for the last 1/3. (X4). A quick breather in between. With warm up/down 5.8 miles in total. Lots of easy miles for the weekend.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Just spotted your log now, best of luck with it. Will be following with interest and looking forward to seeing loads of PB's this year.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Just spotted your log now, best of luck with it. Will be following with interest and looking forward to seeing loads of PB's this year.
    I sincerely hope you are right, thanks tom...

• Advertisement

Nice hilly 8.2 miles this morning. Took it easy enough about 8:40/mile pace. Legs seem to be fine after last nights session. So far so good! 12 miles planned for the morning......

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Tom Joad wrote: »

+1, you seem to have made a good start to the year with your 5 mile race, all your PB's should have chunks taken out of them

Nice run this morning with the club. 12.1 miles in total. In Avondale forest park so it was a nice mix of trail and grass with a few nasty little pulls for good measure. Ran it in a nice handy 8:45m/mile pace average, with the last two miles at about 7:50 pace. Very enjoyable run in nice conditions...

Two mile recovery yesterday.
    6 mile done tonight with a couple of 1200m bursts at less than 5k pace. Felt fresh enough after a tough enough end to last week...

Wed night 6miles. 2m mp 2m hmp 2m mp.
    Thurs rest
    6 slow hilly miles tonight.
    Have a slight chest infection so nothing too hectic this week. I'll see how I feel in the morning but hopefully I'll get 20miles in over the weekend.....

• Advertisement

Picked out a new route today, 9 mile loop with a nasty climb about a mile long. Took it handy enough, about 8:40 pace. Conditions were terrible and got caught in a nasty hail shower. Tough enough headwind going up that hill.....12 more in the morning. Slowly building up the miles and hope to be clocking about 50 per week by the time the long evenings come around and try to keep that consistency throughout the Sumer and peak at about 60 3-4 weeks before dcm which I think will be my goal race for the year.

12.5 miles done this morning. 5 miles on the road and the rest on trails. Average pace about 8:40. I found this run hard enough probably due to been a bit chesty the last couple of days but glad to get through it all the same. Another decent end to the week mileage wise.........

Session with the club tonight, found it tough going. 4x1mile loops with a 2min breather in between. Each loop consisted of 600m hard uphill, 300m jog on the flat and 700m hard downhill/flat. Did the first one too hard (trying to keep up with the faster lads, probably a rookie mistake) and suffered terrible on the second loop. Third one I came too a bit and the forth one I finished very strong. Good session but need to get better consistency. Between warm up/down 7.1 miles in total. Plan for the rest of the week is one more session and three days of long slow, windy, hilly miles. Should hit about 42/43 miles this week so building up as planned.......

Did 7 miles tonight. 3 miles warm up/down, 4 miles a bit slower than mp. 2x400m blasts @ 86seconds each just for the hell of it. Just want to put a few questions out there
    1). No more sessions planned for a couple of weeks as I have two races next week. A 2 miler Thursday night and a 10k the following Sunday. After that I plan to do some 400m reps.... How many and how fast should I be doing them to benefit an attempt at a sub 20 5k?
    2). What's the significance/benefits of a low resting heart rate? Most sites I have read states a resting heart rate of around 50 is of an "athletes" standard. Is this accurate?
    3) reading a lot on here about heart rate monitors and the like, should I get one?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Why 400's?
    What's your weakness in the 5k?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Why 400's?
    What's your weakness in the 5k?

Hi bb I suppose what I'm thinking is improving speed. For the next five months or so I want to try and improve 5k to hm times and still try and maintain/increase mileage and then build up to dcm? Would 800's be better?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Hi bb I suppose what I'm thinking is improving speed. For the next five months or so I want to try and improve 5k to hm times and still try and maintain/increase mileage and then build up to dcm? Would 800's be better?
    Thanks.

If you're new to speed work you could start with 12 x 400 @ 5k pace which should feel relatively comfortable. Then over the weeks increase the distance of the rep 600 - 800 and so on, maintaining the pace and overall quality distance (4,800) right up to 3 x 1600 about 10 days before your goal race. Add strides after an aerobic run a few times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    If you're new to speed work you could start with 12 x 400 @ 5k pace which should feel relatively comfortable. Then over the weeks increase the distance of the rep 600 - 800 and so on, maintaining the pace and overall quality distance (4,800) right up to 3 x 1600 about 10 days before your goal race. Add strides after an aerobic run a few times a week.

+1 to all this. Just to add, keep the recoveries between 50-100% of the rep.
    If you are doing 400's - do between 200-400 jog recovery.
    Maybe also shorten the relative recovery as the weeks progress e.g. Don't have a 1600 recovery for the 3x1600 interval - make that one 800.

Don't underestimate the impact of adding some strides to the end of your easy runs. They take no time, are very comfortable, but work wonders for your speed.

Thanks amk/bb. Much appreciated.......I've been doing a bit of speed work on and off for a few months but nothing structured so need to get a couple of goal races sorted and get a plan together. Never did strides as part of an easy run so will introduce them as we'll........
    Thanks again

Tried a bit of a tempo effort tonight. Planned warm up/down with three miles at hmp. Had the watch with me but decided to give it a go by feel. Ended up doing it a bit faster. Kept it at a consistent pace throughout. 3 600m hills on this route and had to work a bit harder on these. Averaged out at 6:48 pace so ran it at close to, if not at, 10k pace. Happy enough with that. 22 slow miles over the weekend and I'll have another decent week in the bag.

p.s. I'm also walking about twenty miles per week on top of the runs...can't do any harm I suppose.....

• Advertisement

SATURDAY. 10 miles half road half trail. Couple miles at mp. A few strides. Headed off to a wedding then, good day had by all..

SUNDAY. 13.1 miles. 4 miles road and the rest on trails. 2 miles done at hmp. Felt good. No complaints after these runs, good end to the week.
    Miles this week= 44.5. Creeping up nicely.
    I've penciled in wexford hm as my first goal race of the year. I've a ten week plan done out which I'll be starting after the enniscorthy 10k. The bones of it consists of 1 session, 1 tempo, 1 steady run with strides and plenty of slow miles. I'll try and post up my schedule on a Sunday for the following week...

Jaysus that's rough out. 12x1min at better than 5k effort. Six up the hill 3 on the flat and 3 downhill. No splits just went by feel. I'll get more scientific when the long evenings come in and I can run a better/flatter route or the track. Anyway between wu/we'd and reps total mileage 7.4. Decided not to do the two miler race Thursday night. 10k on Sunday and two races so close not one of my better ideas...

5 miles tonight easy effort, bit of core work after. That was one run I was not in form for. Feeling a bit drained, couple of poor nights sleep and a dirty big blister not helping so of to the leaba shortly.....

Got a nice 10 mile run in this afternoon, mostly along the coast between wicklow/Greystones and a bit on the road. Ran it at an easy effort, still a bit sluggish towards the end of this run so putting the feet up till the race on Sunday...

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Got a nice 10 mile run in this afternoon, mostly along the coast between wicklow/Greystones and a bit on the road. Ran it at an easy effort, still a bit sluggish towards the end of this run so putting the feet up till the race on Sunday...

Enjoy the rest until Sun, sub 43 will be no bother to ya , think you could be selling yourself short there with that target! Best of luck with it, looking forward to hearing how you get on.

Second race of the year complete. Enniscorthy 10k and it went according to plan. Wanted to do the first 5k at a fairly pedestrian pace and I hit the 5k marker at 21:40. Probably should have went a little quicker as I had plenty in the tank at this point. I gradually picked up the pace from here to a 3:40 last kilometer completing the second 5k in about 20:38. Unofficial time 42:18. Although this was by no means a goal race I needed to learn the art of pacing a race and although I went out a bit slow I finished extremely well and was as fresh as a daisy after the race and for those reasons I am very happy with this effort and all is looking well for my goals for the year.:)

Official time today 42:11. My 5k pb from six weeks ago was 20:31, I did that today for the second half of the race, progress:eek:

Monday, first day of my ten week hm schedule and got of to a good start, rest! Developed a slight twinge in my right calf during Monday so the rest day was probably just as well.

Tuesday. Planned 8 easy miles and was prepared to pull up if the calf got any worse, thankfully it didn't so got through it fine.
    Plan for the rest of the week:

Tonight: 5 easy miles with a few strides

Thursday: if I feel the calf is ok I'll be doing 12x400's with 400 recovery's. 2 mile w/u 2 mile w/d. If the calf is not 100% I'll do 6-7 easy miles with strides

Friday: 5 miles easy

Sat: 14 long very easy miles

Sunday: I'm planning a handy tempo run this day. Nothing too hectic maybe 2 miles easy, 4 miles mp(7:50 pace). 2 miles easy.

Planned weekly mileage should be around 47ish as long as the calf allows it but I won't be tempting faith with it, any doubts and I'll be stoping.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

I'd skip the 400's: you might get away with the session but there's a good chance it'll come back to haunt you. If your calf is giving out to you, there's a reason. If I were you, I'd just do a steady run. Big picture...

• Advertisement

Stazza wrote: »
    I'd skip the 400's: you might get away with the session but there's a good chance it'll come back to haunt you. If your calf is giving out to you, there's a reason. If I were you, I'd just do a steady run. Big picture...
    cheers stazza, i suspected as much alright and was hoping someone might confirm those suspicions. Should really listen to the body i suppose. Your advice shall be headed....thanks again

Advertisement