Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forever run

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Unplanned rest day yesterday. The reason for this was a combination of a 1 1/2 hour train journey taking 4 1/2 hours, been a bit paranoid about the twinge in my calf and hurricane charley making an unwelcome reappearance.

Took the great stazza's advice and skipped the session tonight doing a 8.1 mile steady run with a mile at hm effort, no issues, calf or otherwise......

7 mile steady run tonight, nice evening for it for a change. Felt grand on a nice flatish route for a change. 13/14 miler for tomorrow and 6-10 miler for Sunday depending how I feel. Penciling in Tuesday night for some speed work all going well.....

Good run this morning 15miles easy mostly in Avondale forest park, bit of an assault course with a good few trees down (should have brought the saw:D). Rest of the run on the road to and from the course. Had some company for most of it so the miles ticked along nicely.....

Legs felt a little heavy this morning so decided to do 7 slow/recovery pace miles. Had company for this run and legs feel fresh enough now. 45 miles for the week, not bad considering I missed a run Wednesday night. Rest day planned for tomorrow and session for Tuesday.

Rest day yesterday as planned just a bit of core work.
    Club session tonight. 5x1k reps. Done these between 3:25-3:40. These were done on a hilly 1k loop so happy enough with this effort, even managed a few strides on a 3mile warm down(8 miles total). Rest of the week as follows;

Tomorrow 6-8 mile steady

Thursday planning a tempo run on a 2.25mile loop. 1 lap steady 2 laps @ hm effort and 1 lap steady.

Friday 6 miles easy

Saturday doing a local hm for a very worthy cause. Definitely won't be racing it, probably do some mp miles. With warm up/down should get in about 16 miles.

Sunday 6-8 miles recovery run depending on how I feel.

Should hit the 50 mile mark this week all going well.....

• Advertisement

6.5 mile steady effort tonight, lovely evening for it. Had planned a tempo run tomorrow night but decided the best option would be to use the hm on Saturday as my tempo run. Don't want to run the risk of losing discipline on Saturday after a tempo run two days earlier so this plan will negate that risk. So it's easy miles for tomorrow and Friday........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Good move.

8 uneventful, hilly, steady miles tonight(yawn!)............

4 slow ones tonight. I'll do some sort of tempo run for the race tomorrow. About 3 miles on the road so might do that at hm pace and the rest at a bit shy of marathon pace.......

Well I said I was going to treat the race this morning as a tempo run and thankfully I did. The breakdown as follows

0.05miles steady

13 miles @ hm pace

0.05 miles @ 10k pace

:D:D

I know, I know don't give out I was stupid but I never felt so comfortable and in control of a race ever! The course was very mixed with about eight absolute ball breakers and a couple of very fast sections. Roughly half road half trail. What time did you do I hear you ask, well the last hm I did was back in September 4 weeks out from dcm an I did it in 1:40:xx. Today on a far more challenging course I went around in 1:32:xx. God knows how that happened:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Well I said I was going to treat the race this morning as a tempo run and thankfully I did. The breakdown as follows

0.05miles steady

13 miles @ hm pace

0.05 miles @ 10k pace

I know, I know don't give out I was stupid but I never felt so comfortable and in control of a race ever! The course was very mixed with about eight absolute ball breakers and a couple of very fast sections. Roughly half road half trail. What time did you do I hear you ask, well the last hm I did was back in September 4 weeks out from dcm an I did it in 1:40:xx. Today on a far more challenging course I went around in 1:32:xx. God knows how that happened:eek::eek:

WOW Barry congrats that's a serious time and pb!! I was quickly scanning for the time and saw 1.40, then when I looked rightly and saw 1.32 CLASS!!! Ps I think you were dead right to race it, you can always do a tempo run for free on your own :) enjoy the well deserved celebrations!

DOCO12 wrote: »
    WOW Barry congrats that's a serious time and pb!! I was quickly scanning for the time and saw 1.40, then when I looked rightly and saw 1.32 CLASS!!! Ps I think you were dead right to race it, you can always do a tempo run for free on your own :) enjoy the well deserved celebrations!

Thanks doco glad I raced it now, the training is starting to pay off. Looking forward to my hm goal race now(wexford) in about 9 weeks.......

6 mile recovery with some walking. Had my first drink since Christmas yesterday, god I felt it this morning. Rest tomorrow and back at it Tuesday night.......

0.05miles steady

13 miles @ hm pace

0.05 miles @ 10k pace

Course a bit short me thinks:(

Rest day yesterday.

8.2 miles today. Got to run a different route today, nice and flat for a change. Started off very slow and built up to a mile at hm pace with last mile recovery pace. No issues. Because of the race last Sunday I'll be passing on the speed sessions this week. Going to try a tempo run on Saturday. Not sure what paces to try will have to think about that one......

Same route today as yesterday. Kept it at a nice steady/even pace throughout about 8 min mile pace give or take. No issues......(8.2 miles)

Guess what, another 8.2 steady miles today, same flat route, I miss those wicklow hills........ Happy with the last few days running, good consistency. Handy day tomorrow maybe 4/5 miles ultra slow, need to give the legs a bit of a rest before my usual high mileage weekend running. Bit of stazza-Rooney paced running for Saturday.:pac:

Guess what, another 8.2 steady miles today, same flat route, I miss those wicklow hills........ Happy with the last few days running, good consistency. Handy day tomorrow maybe 4/5 miles ultra slow, need to give the legs a bit of a rest before my usual high mileage weekend running. Bit of stazza-Rooney paced running for Saturday.:pac:

Lets get the capitals the right way around, it's: Stazza-rooney:D

Here I go,
    Started running February 2013 from a zero base and got completely addicted.
    Took part in numerous 5k-10k races, 3hm's and the dcm. Here are some pb's

5k 20:30(streets of Wicklow)
    10k 42:50(training time trial)
    Hm 1:40:11(4-5 weeks before dcm, ferns, was holding back a bit so definitely can knock 3-6 min of this time)
    Dcm 3:43

Probably averaged 30 miles per week last year peaking at about 50 3-4 weeks before dcm.
    Goals for the year as follows;
    5k - 19:30
    10k - sub 40
    10mile - sub 67
    Hm - sub 92
    Marathon - sub 3:30

Two months into my log and all is going well. Getting decent trainning done with a good mix of miles, sessions and races. I think I'm one of the blessed few injury wise as I've never really had any and I can put this down to managing rest/recovery correctly mainly due to the advice I'm getting around these parts. The only problem I have is the urge to run every bloody race I see advertised.
    Anyway I think it's time I revised my goal times, new goals are;

Marathon - this is a tough one to judge. I ran 3:43xx on my debut last year and WILL go a good whack quicker than this however the usual race time predictors all have me at sub 3:20. I honestly don't think I can stretch it this far but I think a 3:25 is possible.

Half marathon - I think this is currently my favourite distance. Four races over this distance (although a suspicion of a short course last time out). I had a disaster at the clontarf hm in the savage heat and this race served as great motivation to work hard for dcm 13. I think I still need to establish an accurate pb for this distance so I'm going to go with a sub 90 min for this distance. If it doesn't happen in wexford maybe athlone later in the year.

10 mile - never ran one so hard one to judge I'll keep an eye out for a good one and hopefully I can go around in sub 68 min

10k - ran my one and only 10k in enniscorthy a few weeks back. Tough enough course I suppose and went around in 42:11. I had a cracking last 5 k part of which I got involved in a race with a couple of other dudes (which I won with a mesmerising finishing kick:D, apparently I have one:rolleyes:). I'll leave this goal at sub 40 but it's going to be tough..

5 mile - again only ran this distance once in ferricarrig 33:40 I think. Won't be looking out too much for this distance but if a decent one pops up I'll look to knock a min off this time. Sub 32:30. ( coach says I'll run 31:xx this year)

5 k - these are torture for me but need to get a few of these in later in the year for speed. My original goal of sub 19:30 sounds about right......tbc

10 mile - never ran one so hard one to judge I'll keep an eye out for a good one and hopefully I can go around in sub 98 min

Do you mean 48 or 58:p

Good idea to revise the goals.

• Advertisement

Stazza wrote: »

10 mile - never ran one so hard one to judge I'll keep an eye out for a good one and hopefully I can go around in sub 98 min

Do you mean 48 or 58:p

Good idea to revise the goals.

That's what happens when I type on the train. 68 me thinks!

4 very easy miles tonight, nice and relaxing.....

Ideal conditions this morning for a run. Had some company this morning and headed out to Avondale estate. Got in 11.1 miles this morning mostly on trails. I wanted to do some tempo work today so I decided on three miles at a bit faster than hm pace. Ended up doing it at my current 10k pace (about 6:45m/m) so happy enough with that effort. The rest of the miles at a steady enough pace with a couple of strides for luck. Had a good old stretch after. Felt I had a good spring in my step today. Some easy miles tomorrow to round of a good week.....

13.2 miles this morning, mostly trails. Done about 4 miles with the fast lads but let them at it and eased off. Tough enough week. 52/53 miles (highest since dcm training) off the back of a hm probably not a good idea but got through it grand. I'll drop the mileage a bit next week and start doing a bit more speed/ tempo work. Well earned rest day tomorrow.....

Worked the lungs hard tonight! 4 x 1200 reps with 2. Min walk/recovery between. Also done a couple of strides during cool down. Done the reps at a tad faster than 5k effort and I felt it!
    8.1 miles in total, good nights work.....

7.5 steady effort run today. First couple of miles were a bit of a struggle (probably due to last nights session) but I persevered and finished strong enough. I think I'll do some hill reps tomorrow. And as I promised myself a less strenuous week this week I'll be taking an extra rest day Friday followed by the usual weekend stuff.....

No running since last Wednesday. I suppose you could call it real life stuff:(
    Anyway back with a bang today! Planned to try and work in a double day sometime this week, and as I was well rested, today was that day.
    Headed out this morning and did a 8.6 mile run at steady effort. Nice and fresh.
    Back out this evening for a club session. Two mile warm up, 8x600 reps, two mile cool down. Not sure what the times were like but I started slow enough and finished the last one close to the faster lads and nearly up chucked! So happy with the effort.

15.6 miles in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Even if the rest is not injury enforced be careful in returning with high volume or intensity.

God the pins were giving out this morning. 4 mile ultra slow recovery run was the order of the day. I know yesterday was a bad idea but I needed to blow off some steam and running does it for me......

• Advertisement

Felt a lot fresher tonight. A nice and steady 8.5 miles completed. No issues.....

Advertisement