Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forever run

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Tried a different run this evening, started of slow, about 8:40 pace and progressed up to 5k pace for the second last mile (6:15) cool down for the last mile. Really enjoyed this one, 7.2 miles in total. 13/14 long slow tedious miles tomorrow, rest on Sunday and have a tempo planned for Monday probably 4-5 miles at hmp around 7:00 min/miles ish...........

What a perfect morning for running. had company for this one and we did 14.1miles at a comfortable 8:45-8:50 pace. half road half trail with a perfect mix of hills and fast sections. Just shy of the 50 miles for the week (5 days running) and the weekly mileage has built up as planned. Need to keep it around this for the next couple of months whilst slowly adding some more "quality miles".........

The plan today was to run 10 miles, 3 easy, 4 at hm pace and finish with 3 easy.
    It went well enough. I wanted to get this as accurate as I could so I had previously measured out the four miles. It consisted of four and a bit tough enough loops on a trail (Avondale). Splits were as follows;

Mile 1 - 6:49
    Mile 2 - 6:59 I fell! (on the only grass section:D)
    Mile 3 - 6:52
    Mile 4 - 6:50

The easy sections were done at about 8:20 pace.
    Would have been happy with 7:00 miles so obviously very happy with the above. Looking good for a decent time in Wexford, 91.xx or better?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

the way you reported that fall makes you sound like a big girls blouse (no offence to big girls blouses):D

the way you reported that fall makes you sound like a big girls blouse (no offence to big girls blouses):D
    but you should have seen me AMK, up popped the root and down i went, a quick forward roll and straight back up running all in one majestic movement, a quick look around to make sure no one saw me and away i went.....:cool:

• Advertisement

Steady run tonight. 8.3 miles @ 7:47 pace. I felt like I was full of running tonight and the legs just wanted to go. Had to hold back at times as I'm planning a session tomorrow (6x800's)......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Steady run tonight. 8.3 miles @ 7:47 pace. I felt like I was full of running tonight and the legs just wanted to go. Had to hold back at times as I'm planning a session tomorrow (6x800's)......

You've got some PAIN coming your way tomorrow - enjoy!:D

Stazza wrote: »
    You've got some PAIN coming your way tomorrow - enjoy!:D

:eek:
    I've been putting off doing the 800's, heard they were tough alright. Needs must! In a kind of sadistic, perverted kind of way im actually looking forward to them........

Well I got through those ok.

3 mile warm up
    6x800's
    2.5 mile cool down

The reps were of 2min rest and the splits were
    2:57, 2:49, 2:59, 2:52, 3:02, 2:54

Ran them on a flattish stretch of trail. Running into the wind on the 1st, 3rd and 5th reps. taking this into account I was getting 2-3 seconds slower each time.
    Averaged about 2:55 (5:52/mile pace). Tough session but happy enough with the results:)

nice session - some seem too fast IMO (cant believe I said that) - what pace were these advised to be done at?

• Advertisement

nice session - some seem too fast IMO (cant believe I said that) - what pace were these advised to be done at?

Done of my own back, I just remembered reading somewhere around these parts that they should be done at a tad faster than 5k pace. You have me thinking now as that was probably someone following a specific 5k training plan and my next goal race is a HM. Anyway, although I don't think I could have ran these any quicker I felt I could have done another couple at the same (ish) pace.

P.S. First time doing these.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Great session - well done. No harm doing the odd workout at 3k-5k pace for HM training. When you come back to HM pace it'll feel a lot easier. Also, the recovery was bang on.

I was just wondering as I read somewhere that for certain workouts, going 'faster' doesn't really benefit you any more - think it was the Jack Daniels book.

I suppose it all depends on what you were trying to stress.
    As a V02 workout, then maybe its ok based on your 5k/10k times.

Its still a great workout - kudos for doing it given your initial fears and the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Nice work, I love 800's!!

8.1 miles steady with some strides for luck. No I'll effects from last nights session. I really felt I was flying for the strides tonight. Rest day tomorrow, the normal stuff for the weekend, 8 miles sat, 15/16 miles for Sunday to top off a great week.........

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

8.1 miles steady with some strides for luck. No I'll effects from last nights session. I really felt I was flying for the strides tonight. Rest day tomorrow, the normal stuff for the weekend, 8 miles sat, 15/16 miles for Sunday to top off a great week.........

Super stuff Barry, your on fire! :)

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Super stuff Barry, your on fire! :)

Thanks doco, everything seems to be going well in trainning. By the way go get that sub 70 on Sunday, your trainning warrants it, give it socks!

8.2 miles slow/steady this morning, last mile at mp. No issues.....

Long run knocked on the head today. Woke up in a bad way this morning, throat decided it didn't want to swallow anything. By 9am I was feeling a bit better and headed out to see how it went. Managed 8 miles but god they were hard miles.....

No running since last Sunday, sick as a small hospital. Hope to get out for a few miles tonight as I'm starting to feel a little better. Bought a pair of Wave Inspire 10's yesterday to cheer myself up so looking forward to trying them out........

• Advertisement

I'm back! A nice steady 5.3 miles just to get back into things. First run in the new shoes. I think I'll buy another pair just to look at....new shoes. Niiiice.....

I've heard a lot around these parts that I just knew nothing about and just kept quiet to avoid sounding like a fool, but when someone wants to convert a room in there house for the purposes of altitude training I have to ask......what the fcuk? Is that for real? That's just bonkers......:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I've heard a lot around these parts that I just knew nothing about and just kept quiet to avoid sounding like a fool, but when someone wants to convert a room in there house for the purposes of altitude training I have to ask......what the fcuk? Is that for real? That's just bonkers......:confused:

I'm lost!

Gavlor wrote: »
    I'm lost!

Have a look over at the gear and equipment threads. Not sure how to link it yet. I read it early this morning and thought I was still in bed dreaming....

Strange run this morning, body obviously still fighting that nasty virus. Had originally planned my longest run prior to wexford half this weekend (16 miles) but went out to try and manage 8-12 miles. After two miles I thought I was going to up chuck but decided to just slow it down and I recovered well. I ended up covering 15.5 miles at a handy 8:30 pace so I'll take this run as a bonus. Going to get in some hmp miles over the next 2-3 weeks and a week or so of that taper sh1t.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Have a look over at the gear and equipment threads. Not sure how to link it yet. I read it early this morning and thought I was still in bed dreaming....

ha ha
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057172674

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

That's the one......

Sweet Jesus, wonder will he need Bubbles the monkey for company :)

TbL

• Advertisement

About 7 miles steady today. Took the day off yesterday as not feeling well. Still a bit iffy today. I'll see how I am tomorrow but the planned hmp run will probably be knocked on the head....

Advertisement