Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forever run

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Awww the poor thing, hope he'll be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Awww the poor thing, hope he'll be ok.

Us wicklow mountain folk are made of granite!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Unplanned rest day yesterday. Junior decided he wanted to play indoor rugby with the resident jack Russell (Billy). Billy managed to tackle junior around the ankles and head first he went into the corner of a wall. It wasn't pretty been able to see the white of of the skull but it wasn't as bad as it looked thank god. He enjoyed the trip in the ambulance! Anyway, all good now except for the new zip in his head......

Ouch - that made we wince. Glad to hear he's ok. Wouldn't test out the granite theory too often !

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Ouch - that made we wince. Glad to hear he's ok. Wouldn't test out the granite theory too often !

Cheers, one test like that is more than enough!

6 miles tonight. Started off terrible. Probably something to do with a monster burrito I had about half three, god it was nice! Anyway once it settled in the gut I was flying along very nicely indeed. Few slow ones tomorrow and that's it till the race....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

The monster burrito induced back wind probably helped the miles fly by quicker than usual :)

TbL

The monster burrito induced back wind probably helped the miles fly by quicker than usual :)

TbL

A few little bursts of pace alright, came in handy on the hills....

3 miles tonight. Gave it a lash for half a mile or so just to get the juices flowing. I suppose I better mention my targets for Sunday.

A while back I ran the local half marathon in 92:30ish. Now by all accounts the course was about two minutes short. If I take into account the toughness of the course and the hope of been that bit fitter I'll be looking to match this time, so:

Bronze medal sub 93
    Silver sub 92
    Gold sub 91.

The time I do in this race will determine my mp for the upcoming trainning plan for the longford marathon........

Best of luck with it Barry.

Hopefully you'll get gold!

Have you done Longford before, it wouldn't be one of my favourite marathon routes as parts of it are run along very busy roads and you could also find yourself running on your own for stretches. That said it is reasonably flat.

TbL
    3 miles tonight. Gave it a lash for half a mile or so just to get the juices flowing. I suppose I better mention my targets for Sunday.

A while back I ran the local half marathon in 92:30ish. Now by all accounts the course was about two minutes short. If I take into account the toughness of the course and the hope of been that bit fitter I'll be looking to match this time, so:

Bronze medal sub 93
    Silver sub 92
    Gold sub 91.

The time I do in this race will determine my mp for the upcoming trainning plan for the longford marathon........

Best of luck with it Barry.

Hopefully you'll get gold!

Have you done Longford before, it wouldn't be one of my favourite marathon routes as parts of it are run along very busy roads and you could also find yourself running on your own for stretches. That said it is reasonably flat.

TbL

Cheers tbl, no haven't done longford. All going well it will only be my second marathon. Did dcm last year and although I enjoyed it immensely I missed out on a fair few races I would liked to have done because of the training. I decided to do one a bit earlier this year because of this and longford is an ideal fit.
    I've heard its a bit of a lonely slog at times alright but I won't mind that. I also like the fact that there are no pacers as I think this can focus the mind during training to get your paces bang on....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Bronze medal sub 93
    Silver sub 92
    Gold sub 91.

Best of luck Barry, your in gold shape, all about how it goes on the day. Think the weather is promised decent for Sunday, after all it is in the sunny south east!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

best of luck - whatever happens, enjoy the race. By all accounts you seem in great shape.

best of luck - whatever happens, enjoy the race. By all accounts you seem in great shape.

+1 to that, Best of luck Barry, I'm sure you'll have a smiling race report coming back to us.

WEXFORD HALF MARATHON

Woke about half six got the corn flakes, banana and coffee into me, done what had to be done and off I went to the sunny south east.
    Arrived about nine bells and collected the number without any hassle, got changed and off I went for the warm up. I assumed the position a couple of minutes before the start time. Big crowd for this one and near perfect conditions.

Away we went with the usual jockeying for position. First 2k was a straight forward affair and shortly after this we hit the climb. I was very comfortable on this climb and went through the 5k mark in about 21:22, happy days. The next 5k consisted of a couple more k's of climbing, the twisty section through the castle grounds and then back out onto the road and through the 10k mark in about 43:00 minutes and bang on schedule. At this stage I was absolutely coasting and felt great, this was confirmed as a friend of mine seen me at around the 8k mark and noted that I looked strong and fresh.
    I banged the next couple of k out at the same pace and then it happened. What happened I hear you ask, well I have no idea. Legs were fine, breathing was fine but the pace was slowing at an alarming rate. Now at this stage we had turned into a strong breeze but I refuse to blame this, I just couldn't get going.

The biggest battle I had now was keeping going not through tiredness but because of the fact that I didn't know what the hell was going on. Well I struggled on and finished in an unofficial 1:34:45 ish.

Physically there was no reason why I couldn't have gone 3min quicker so it had to be a mental thing. The only thing I can think off was the bad 3k I ran a few weeks back or maybe I just didn't want it enough.

Anyway I've came back from a bad run before and I will again. So it's done now and bring longford on:)

WEXFORD HALF MARATHON

The biggest battle I had now was keeping going not through tiredness but because of the fact that I didn't know what the hell was going on. Well I struggled on and finished in an unofficial 1:34:45 ish.

Physically there was no reason why I couldn't have gone 3min quicker so it had to be a mental thing. The only thing I can think off was the bad 3k I ran a few weeks back or maybe I just didn't want it enough.

Anyway I've came back from a bad run before and I will again. So it's done now and bring longford on:)

Sorry to hear it didn't go to plan. That is a a weird one , the mind is a powerful thing. But as you said yourself you've come back from a bad run before and I've no doubt you will. Think of the big one !

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear it didn't go to plan. That is a a weird one , the mind is a powerful thing. But as you said yourself you've come back from a bad run before and I've no doubt you will. Think of the big one !
    thanks doco.

Hard luck Barry, we all have bad days. You 'll be back stronger. Could the heat have affected you?

tang1 wrote: »
    Hard luck Barry, we all have bad days. You 'll be back stronger. Could the heat have affected you?
    it has done in the past but i don't think it was a factor today. I could be wrong. I took some water from the first two stations and didn't feel the need for anymore. I still cant get my head around it as i was very fresh after the race and was contemplating going for a run tonight but decided against it.

Was it warm down there? Had similar experience with warm weather, even a couple of degrees can be magnified at 8-9 miles.

1:34 is a great performance, I'd have given my right arm (well maybe that's an exaggeration) for a 1:34 at your stage.
    I ran 1:32 in Clontarf last July, so don't knock 1:34!

The HM is a funny race as you're quite close to your LT and muscle fatigue can come fairly easy, especially if it's warm. Nothing to do with how you are feeling, as aerobically and mentally you could be flying, but the muscles are saying something different.

As I've been told many times, racing is a skill and as you move up the performance ladder (as you are), the little details make a huge difference and the skill needs more honing through experience.

It's still a great fitness boost for you. That's a key point that TRR always bangs on about, and he's right.
    13.1 miles at that pace will bring you on a hell of a lot - maybe not what you want to hear, but I had it said to me many times.

The great thing is that you are disappointed by it, no doubt it'll drive you on more.

I experienced something similar in the Enniscorthy Half last year, i was cruising along and out of nowhere after about 8miles i just started to flag. Same as you breathing was fine, legs were strong and felt full of energy. I fell off the pacers and no matter how much i pushed or tried i just couldn't get back to them. The heat took it out of me, us pale skinned people are not used to it and it can affect us in ways we dont know or are not used to.

As AMK said its a great sign your disappointed about your effort, shows your hungry for more.

• Advertisement

Was it warm down there? Had similar experience with warm weather, even a couple of degrees can be magnified at 8-9 miles.

1:34 is a great performance, I'd have given my right arm (well maybe that's an exaggeration) for a 1:34 at your stage.
    I ran 1:32 in Clontarf last July, so don't knock 1:34!

The HM is a funny race as you're quite close to your LT and muscle fatigue can come fairly easy, especially if it's warm. Nothing to do with how you are feeling, as aerobically and mentally you could be flying, but the muscles are saying something different.

As I've been told many times, racing is a skill and as you move up the performance ladder (as you are), the little details make a huge difference and the skill needs more honing through experience.

It's still a great fitness boost for you. That's a key point that TRR always bangs on about, and he's right.
    13.1 miles at that pace will bring you on a hell of a lot - maybe not what you want to hear, but I had it said to me many times.

The great thing is that you are disappointed by it, no doubt it'll drive you on more.
    Cheers amk. When you put it like that, not so bad. I think you could be right about the experience element, probably should be racing a bit more. What's your thoughts on racing during a marathon plan?
    P.s. About 15c not too hot

Cheers amk. When you put it like that, not so bad. I think you could be right about the experience element, probably should be racing a bit more. What's your thoughts on racing during a marathon plan?

Some people have great results through not racing e.g. TRR, but I think that newbies like us learn so much from racing that we should do it more. But it's important to pick key races and keep them not too frequent.

tang1 wrote: »
    I experienced something similar in the Enniscorthy Half last year, i was cruising along and out of nowhere after about 8miles i just started to flag. Same as you breathing was fine, legs were strong and felt full of energy. I fell off the pacers and no matter how much i pushed or tried i just couldn't get back to them. The heat took it out of me, us pale skinned people are not used to it and it can affect us in ways we dont know or are not used to.

As AMK said its a great sign your disappointed about your effort, shows your hungry for more.

Was that the strawberry half? That's my next hm. Part of my longford plan.....

Yip, that was the one alright. Great race, scenic course on the undulating side. Couldn't fault it in anyway to be honest.

When's that? (The strawberry half)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

When's that? (The strawberry half)

June 8th, myself and some of the gang are pacing might organise a few beers and a bit of BBQ back in mine if the weathers good.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    June 8th, myself and some of the gang are pacing might organise a few beers and a bit of BBQ back in mine if the weathers good.

BB, send me your address, I'm not running but I like the sound of the Barbie :)

TbL

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

What time/group are you pacing bb?

What time/group are you pacing bb?

He's pacing the two burgers and 4 pints an hour brigade :)

Sorry couldn't resist.

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

He's pacing the two burgers and 4 pints an hour brigade :)

Sorry couldn't resist.

TbL

Special aid stations for me ;)
    1:45 I think!

Advertisement