Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forever run

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

longford 2014.xlsx

Been trying to upload this for days on the ipad. Got it done handy enough with the laptop.

Attached is my plan for the Longford marathon. I started off with a plan from the BAA site and decided to replace some of the sessions with some races as I feel I can benefit more from them. Ill be starting this plan next week and would welcome any suggestions on the plan, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Nice plan, might bump into you at the Irish Runner 5mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

longford 2014.xlsx

Been trying to upload this for days on the ipad. Got it done handy enough with the laptop.

Attached is my plan for the Longford marathon. I started off with a plan from the BAA site and decided to replace some of the sessions with some races as I feel I can benefit more from them. Ill be starting this plan next week and would welcome any suggestions on the plan, thanks

Is the Strawberry Half an 'A' race?
    The preceding week is pretty heavy if that's the case.

tang1 wrote: »
    Nice plan, might bump into you at the Irish Runner 5mile.
    yep for sure, only ever met one boardsie....

Only thing i'd do is try include a ten mile/half marathon later in the plan. It would give you a better idea where you are pace wise for Longford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

The week after the half is a bit heavy too, I'd do a recovery run 1st and hold off on the HM pace miles for that week.

Also, 16m the same week as the 5m race, I can see what your trying to achieve here, but be careful, as it's also close to the previous weeks long run.

Listen to the body and keep an eye on the main thing.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Is the Strawberry Half an 'A' race?
    The preceding week is pretty heavy if that's the case.

No not an A race, hoping to run some kind of progression run, something like 4m@ 7:50, 4m@ 7:40, [EMAIL="2m@mp"]2m@mp[/EMAIL] and the remainder at a good old clip.....

tang1 wrote: »
    Only thing i'd do is try include a ten mile/half marathon later in the plan. It would give you a better idea where you are pace wise for Longford.
    Cheers ill see what out there and try and fit one in.Any suggestions? (not clontarf though)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

No not an A race, hoping to run some kind of progression run, something like 4m@ 7:50, 4m@ 7:40, [EMAIL="2m@mp"]2m@mp[/EMAIL] and the remainder at a good old clip.....

You can ignore my advice for after the half :)

Cheers ill see what out there and try and fit one in.Any suggestions? (not clontarf though)

Theres a 10miler organised by Mullingar Harriers on in Mullingar on the 27th of July(info on precision timing website if you want to have a look), a month out from Longford. But looking at your plan, your coming off 3 heavy weeks mileage wise so a race may not be a good idea at that stage.

• Advertisement

The week after the half is a bit heavy too, I'd do a recovery run 1st and hold off on the HM pace miles for that week.

Also, 16m the same week as the 5m race, I can see what your trying to achieve here, but be careful, as it's also close to the previous weeks long run.

Listen to the body and keep an eye on the main thing.

Yes I was a bit worried about that myself, I'll see how I am that week and maybe throw in an extra rest day. As you said I'll listen very closely to the body!

Cheers

Belly in, chest out and chin up, away I go again. Easy miles for this week.
    7 miles nice and handy tonight, half road half trail. Great evening for it....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Belly in, chest out and chin up, away I go again. Easy miles for this week.
    7 miles nice and handy tonight, half road half trail. Great evening for it....

Hi Barry, just catching up with your log now, hard luck on your HM, great time though! Best of luck with the marathon training, will follow with interest.

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Hi Barry, just catching up with your log now, hard luck on your HM, great time though! Best of luck with the marathon training, will follow with interest.

Cheers Sam. I was hoping to hit about 91-92mins but it wasn't to be. I'll target another hm in the winter as it's probably my favourite distance. Looking forward to getting stuck into the marathon plan.
    Which hm are you planning yourself?

Cheers Sam. I was hoping to hit about 91-92mins but it wasn't to be. I'll target another hm in the winter as it's probably my favourite distance. Looking forward to getting stuck into the marathon plan.
    Which hm are you planning yourself?

River Moy HM in Ballina on May 17th. If I decide against doing the DCM this year I will also aim for the Athlone HM in Sept.

River Moy HM in Ballina on May 17th. If I decide against doing the DCM this year I will also aim for the Athlone HM in Sept.
    good stuff, best of luck!

Recovery recovery, 6 handy miles tonight. On the plus side I'll be in Galway on sat for a stag:D and will be able to do some running/exploring before the, ahem, festivities get under way......

Recovery recovery, 6 handy miles tonight. On the plus side I'll be in Galway on sat for a stag:D and will be able to do some running/exploring before the, ahem, festivities get under way......

Be careful Barry or you will have a running date before you know;)

Be careful Barry or you will have a running date before you know;)

Jaysus, I heard everyone was a bit liberal over that way alright:eek:
    It'll be a long slow one, the more the merrier :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Jaysus, I heard everyone was a bit liberal over that way alright:eek:
    It'll be a long slow one, the more the merrier :D

Jasus man, I presume it's the run you're talking about :)

TbL

• Advertisement

[/B]

Jasus man, I presume it's the run you're talking about :)

TbL

God yes, what else??

Another easy run today. 7.6 miles. Probably take a rest tomorrow then it's a weekend of running, eating, drinking, dancing, drinking, eating, and sleeping (in that order).....

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Another easy run today. 7.6 miles. Probably take a rest tomorrow then it's a weekend of running, eating, drinking, dancing, drinking, eating, and sleeping (in that order).....

Enjoy the weekend Barry, nothing like Galway on a bank holiday buzzing. Oh and enjoy the running too :)

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Enjoy the weekend Barry, nothing like Galway on a bank holiday buzzing. Oh and enjoy the running too :)

Any suggestion on a route to take? Salthill direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Any suggestion on a route to take? Salthill direction?

I'm out the country so I don't know the distance too well around the city. But can make some suggestions, def take in Salthill area ,how far are you planning on getting in?

DOCO12 wrote: »
    I'm out the country so I don't know the distance too well around the city. But can make some suggestions, def take in Salthill area ,how far are you planning on getting in?

About 12-16 miles depending on how I feel...

Barry, you could take in a few miles along the prom and then head out towards Barna, if you turn right at the Twelve hotel and continue up that road you'll come upon the Barna golf club, take the first left before the golf club and there's a quiet 5/6 mile loop around there that should easily get you to 12-16 miles, sorry but I can't post a map or anything coz I'm useless at that sort of stuff.

Do you know that area at all?

TbL

Barry, you could take in a few miles along the prom and then head out towards Barna, if you turn right at the Twelve hotel and continue up that road you'll come upon the Barna golf club, take the first left before the golf club and there's a quiet 5/6 mile loop around there that should easily get you to 12-16 miles, sorry but I can't post a map or anything coz I'm useless at that sort of stuff.

Do you know that area at all?

TbL
    Been over that way a few times alright. Your route sounds straight forward enough, I think I'll give that a try, thanks tbl....

Have a look at google maps and see if that makes sense, if you make a wrong turn you'd probably come out on the main Furbo road and it's a straight run back in towards Salthill. If you can follow the loop though it would be better as there is hardly any traffic on it.

I'd offer to bring you out my direction but I'm only doing a two miler!

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I'd offer to bring you out my direction but I'm only doing a two miler!

TbL
    and there he goes again... teaser:p don't fall for it Barry!

Advertisement