Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forever run

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Best of luck tomorrow Barry, looking forward to hearing how it goes. No doubt you will fly it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

WEEK 2 - SUNDAY

TERNURE 5 MILE
    Charles and I set off about 8:45 this morning and arrived with plenty of time to spare. Got parked up, collected our numbers/t-shirts back to the car and headed off onto the course for a good warm up. Charles was looking for a sub 35 I was looking for a PB (33:48 ferricarrig) but thought I should be able to nail it with a bit left in the tank. As this wasn't an A race I didn't want to be crossing the line with my tounge hanging out or feeling like puking or the like.
    Got to the start line about ten minutes befor the start and warned Charles that the first mile would be fast. I got caught in the 35m group and couldn't move up so I settled where I was.

Away we went on time and spent the first few hundred yards ducking and weaving but finally got into my stride on the first long (ever so slightly downhill stretch) stretch. Keep her handy I said to myself and went through the first mile at 6:24. This was of course too fast.
    I made a decision to hold back a little over the next two miles and try and push it slightly for the last two.
    The second and third miles felt very comfortable and went exactly to plan. Mile 2 6:45 mile 3 6:50.
    At this stage I felt grand, and as planned, I needed to up it a little. Mile four was done in 6:37. Same effort for the last mile and done it in 6:42.

Chip time 33:27. A 21 second pb.

Race panned out as planned and really enjoyed it. This will definitely be an A race next year. Very well organised, great turn out and good support.

Charles ran 34:37. He was giving out stink about the 35m pacers:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Great stuff Barry, fair play to you.

Congrats Barry that's a super time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done Barry, great running. More to come off that in the Irish Runner 5mile me thinks.

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    Well done Barry, great running. More to come off that in the Irish Runner 5mile me thinks.

That's the plan! Cheers tang

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Well done today, was in a world of my own when you said hello during the warm down - Hello Back :D

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Well done today, was in a world of my own when you said hello during the warm down - Hello Back :D

No bother dom. You had a good run yourself today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well done Barry. I was looking out for a Parnell AC singlet all morning and never spotted one. Maybe next time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well done Barry, nicely run.

TbL

• Advertisement

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Well done Barry. I was looking out for a Parnell AC singlet all morning and never spotted one. Maybe next time?

Cheers, in fairness it was probably like looking for a needle in a haystack, big turn out! Our paths shall cross again!

WEEK 3 MONDAY
    Rest day scheduled for today but as I had no ill effects from yesterday's run I decided to get a few easy miles in. Glad I did as I had a nice spring in my step. Got through six miles. Splits;
    1. 8:20
    2. 8:12
    3. 8:31
    4. 8:25
    5. 8:22
    6. 8:06

Average pace 8:18.
    This run leaves me with a bit of wiggle room for the rest of the week...

WEEK 3 TUESDAY
    First 3 days of this week's plan are mixed up a bit, but getting them done.
    Did the 10 mile steady run today and got caught in a horrendous downpour, ah well it kept me cool at least. Splits;
    1. 8:25
    2. 7:51
    3. 8:18
    4. 8:17
    5. 8:17
    6. 8:12
    7: 8:18
    8. 8:28
    9. 8:16
    10. 7:43 mp effort into a wind so probably about right.

Feeling no ill effects from Sundays run, a good old spring in the step lately but I won't get cocky, rest day tomorrow and a hmp session for Thursday.
    10.1 miles total

WEEK 3 WEDNESDAY
    Rest

WEEK 3 THURSDAY
    Not feeling well today so planned hmp session knocked on the head. Decided to do 9 very easy miles instead. Splits;
    1. 8:50
    2. 8:36
    3. 8:49
    4. 8:42
    5. 8:50
    6. 8:53
    7. 8:36
    8. 8:53
    9. 8:30

9.06 miles total.

WEEK 3 FRIDAY
    Feeling a fair bit better than yesterday but still not in top order. Decided against the fast miles again today and went for 9 miles steady-ish instead. Splits;
    1. 8:31
    2. 8:13
    3. 8:17
    4. 8:19
    5. 8:26
    6. 8:12
    7 8:10
    8. 8:13
    9. 7:52

9.23 miles in total.....

Headed out on a hilly loop this morning for a steady run(again).

1. 9:08
    2. 8:18
    3. 8:13
    4. 7:34
    5. 8:04
    6. 7:59
    7. 8:14
    8. 8:20

Average pace 8:14.

8.23 miles total.....

WEEK 3 SUNDAY

16 mile Lsr was the plan for today. Felt a little sluggish for the first couple of miles but got into the run well and finished well. Mileage wise the week was my best(59 ish) so far, but due to not feeling too well during the week fast miles were nowhere to be seen.
    Not too concerned about this due to the race last weekend and a 4 miler coming up next Thursday night.
    Splits;
    1. 8:50
    2. 8:36
    3. 8:36
    4. 8:26
    5. 8:33
    6. 8:22
    7. 8:33
    8. 8:31
    9. 8:29
    10. 8:35
    11. 8:23
    12. 8:10
    13. 8:13
    14. 8:19
    15. 8:16
    16. 8:06

16.37 miles in total. Average pace 8:26.......

WEEK 4
    MONDAY. Had a rest day planned today, however, the legs were a bit sore after Sundays run, I'm guessing it was the result of a high mileage week and picking up the pass towards the end of the run. Decided I'd give a recovery paced run a bash. 5 miles completed, splits
    1. 9:08
    2. 9:02
    3. 9:13
    4. 9:10
    5. 9:15
    Legs felt a lot fresher after this run.

TUESDAY
    Plan called for 8 mile, 3x2 mile with recoveries. Not a fan of these mp miles with recoveries, like to keep moving so changed it to a 9 mile ( 1 steady, 3mp, 1 steady, 3mp, 1 steady. Splits;
    1. 8:10
    2. 7:09mp
    3. 7:24mp
    4. 7:24mp
    5. 8:36
    6. 7:37mp
    7. 7:26mp
    8. 7:22mp
    9. 8:31

9.31 miles total. Mp miles too fast, need to slow them down...

WEEK 4 - WEDNESDAY
    Had a bit of time to kill in around wicklow this afternoon and decided to get in some recovery paced miles up along the coast. Lovely spot for a run.
    Splits;
    1. 8:56
    2. 8:51
    3. 9:13
    4. 8:52
    5. 8:54
    6. 8:34

All going well I'll be in the same spot tomorrow evening for a fit 4 life 4 miler. I won't be going mad, a friend of mine looking to go around in about 28 minutes so I'll probably pace him......famous last words.....

WEEK 4 - THURSDAY
    4 mile fit 4 life race, wicklow, out and back. Probably best described as a good trail run.

Got there with plenty of time to spare so got in a good warm up. My main aim was to get my mate around in under 28 minutes. I told Charles to "sit on my shoulder to the turn and you'll be grand". A bit breezy for the run, a bit of a hindrance on the way out, a bit helpful on the way back.

Off we went with the usual pushing and shoving and settled into a comfortable pace. Charles the parrot was were he should be, right on my shoulder.
    MILE 1 6:48. A tad too quick.

Reigned it in ever so slightly and all was going to plan when we hit the turn.
    MILE 2 6:57

I was feeling grand at this stage and decided to pick up the pace "I'm off" I said to Charles, "away with ya" was his reply. Even with the increased pace I was still very much in control. I was picking off a few at this stage and went through the gears well.

MILE 3 6:24, nice!
    For the last mile I felt I could at least hold the pace of the previous mile and at this stage I was passing a few runners who normally would be getting the better of me. This gave me some confidence and I was able to up it again for the last mile

MILE 4 6:16:D
    Crossed the line in 26:33. Charles was very happy with his 27:24.
    Very happy with how the race panned out, especially having enough in the tank for a decent finish.
    With warm up/down 8.2 miles total.
    :)

• Advertisement

Nice running again Barry, well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Great race ! Looks like there is a bit left in the tank.

WEEK 4 FRIDAY
    Had an hour to spare in Carlow today, so decided to get in the 7 scheduled miles along a familiar route. About two miles in I decided to take an unscheduled left turn, what's the worst that can happen eh? Well, after a Forrest, a couple of fields a BEEHIVE and a couple of gates I finally came across some familiar ground. I ended up doing 11.2 miles:p. the splits were all over the place but average pace was 8:43.

WEEK 4 SATURDAY
    18 miles with 4 at mp was the plan today, but with yesterday's adventure and Thursday's race I decided to scale it back a bit just to be safe. 16.1 miles at a pedestrian pace.
    All very consistent miles between 8:55 and 9:10 pace. Average pace 9:03.
    Well deserved rest day tomorrow. Good week this week. Managed a good mp session a decent race and got in around 56 miles.........

WEEK 4 SUNDAY
    Rest

WEEK 5 MONDAY
    Tried something a bit different today. 8 miles, starting at mp and easing down to a steady pace at the half way point. Then build up the pace again to the finish. Done this for no particular reason, just popped into my head.
    Splits
    7:41
    7:56
    8:04
    7:55
    8:03
    7:53
    7:46
    7:05
    Average pace 7:48. Interesting enough run went more or less to plan...

WEEK 5
    TUESDAY
    10 steady ones today. Worked a good climb into today's run (mile 2).
    Splits
    8:19
    9:00
    8:17
    8:13
    8:17
    8:18
    8:14
    7:43.
    Average pace 8:18. Outside of the hilly second and the usually fast last mile very happy with the consistency. 10.28 total.
    I'm going to take an extra rest day and knock the session on the head this week. With the strawberry hm this Sunday I just don't trust myself:D:D

I'm going to take an extra rest day and knock the session on the head this week. With the strawberry hm this Sunday I just don't trust myself:D:D

Good call Barry, being a HM I'd def take the extra rest. Whats the goal for Sunday?

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Good call Barry, being a HM I'd def take the extra rest. Whats the goal for Sunday?

TBH I'm still in two minds what to do. Originally planned this as a progression run but knowing me I'll probably get fed up with people passing me and race it. As I was not happy with my last hm time I need to make amends so I'll more than likely aim for a 1:33 ish. But saying all this it's not a goal race so the priority is caution.......

Best of luck Sunday Barry, i ran it last year and found it a well organised and scenic race. Its a bit lumpy in spots but sure what race in Ireland isn't.

tang1 wrote: »
    Best of luck Sunday Barry, i ran it last year and found it a well organised and scenic race. Its a bit lumpy in spots but sure what race in Ireland isn't.

Cheers tang, yea I heard it was a decent race alright. Would I be right in saying that most of the lumpy parts are in the first half of the race?

• Advertisement

Cheers tang, yea I heard it was a decent race alright. Would I be right in saying that most of the lumpy parts are in the first half of the race?

First 7 miles there or there abouts is the lumpy bit.

Advertisement