Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

goals for 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭amklo

Probably a bit more ameteur that the rest of ye, but my main goal is to run more often and more consistently in order to;

Complete my first half marathon...aiming for Kildare at end of April, ideally in 2 hours but whatever the result it'll be a PB!

Reduce 10k time to under 50mins

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭funrunner95

My goals

5k sub 20 (current pb = 21.50)
    10k sub 43 (current pb = 46.45)
    HM sub 1.40 (current pb 1.46)
    Marathon sub 4hr (current pb 4.38)

I wouldnt mind some feedback on these goals, I ran these times when I was more or less fully fit albeit a few pounds above my optimum weight and without doing any intervals/tempo runs/farleks/LSRs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

My first posting on boards.ie, I've been lurking on the Athletics subforum for a few months now and have been inspired by some of the dedicated runners here! I've been running on-and-off for about 10 years (always at the same pace), and in the last year I've decided to try and get a bit faster. My PBs are 1:54:15 for HM (Nov 2013), 53:05 for 10k (Apr 2012) and 23:58 for 5k (August 2013).

Goals for 2014:

1. Go to interval training most weeks.
    2. sub 23min 5k.
    3. sub 50min 10k (aiming for the Great Ireland 10k in April).
    4. sub 1:45 HM (not sure when, will first aim to break 1:50 in April/May).

Welcome and good luck with the goals

amklo wrote: »
    Probably a bit more ameteur that the rest of ye, but my main goal is to run more often and more consistently in order to;

Complete my first half marathon...aiming for Kildare at end of April, ideally in 2 hours but whatever the result it'll be a PB!

Reduce 10k time to under 50mins

Are you following a plan for the Half? It s a good idea to pick a plan and stick to it , I followed Hal Higdon s novice 2 plan last year and it was grand, was new enough to running and had nt a clue what I was doing ( not much better now but Im learning).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Not a huge amount going on in 2014 yet, have my first 100 miler in April, hoping sub 24 hours but will be happy enough to finish within the allotted time (loads of time to finish, 34 hours). I did crap in Dublin last year so will be looking for something more respectable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

My goals

5k sub 20 (current pb = 21.50)
    10k sub 43 (current pb = 46.45)
    HM sub 1.40 (current pb 1.46)
    Marathon sub 4hr (current pb 4.38)

I wouldnt mind some feedback on these goals, I ran these times when I was more or less fully fit albeit a few pounds above my optimum weight and without doing any intervals/tempo runs/farleks/LSRs.

Your marathon target is much weaker than the other targets. Either you are being way too cautious for this event or you are more suited to shorter distances, in which case why would you bother with the marathon? It's just another event in the end of the day. If you can go sub 20 in the 5k then why bother searching for a 3:59?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

1. 5k - sub 17.20 (pb 17.38)
    2. 8k - sub 30 (pb 30.49)
    3. 10k - sub 37.30 (pb 38.23)
    4. half - sub 1.25 (pb 1.29.45)
    5. Come up with a mindset and schedule that allows me to peak a few times in the year for races rather than smashing out training sessions in the lead up to races and feeling on top of the world only to find the tank not quite as full on race day. (summary-train sensibly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭ofthelord

5km - sub 19:30 - pb 19:35 2012
    8km - anything under 31:59 - pb 31:59 2012
    10km - sub 42 - pb 43:00 2012
    10mile - sub 70 - pb 77:30 2011
    1/2 mara - sub 1:32 - pb 1:32:12 2012
    marathon - 3:30 - pb 3:36 2012

Injured on/off since last March - so 2013 was a write off on the running front, didn't even hit 700miles for the year.
    Happy enough with most of my current pb times - but hope to be able to knock a few minutes off the marathon time and hit 3:30, & haven't run a 10mile race since 2011 - so hoping to go for sub 70 this year (have managed to go just under 70 for first 10miles of a half marathon, not sure if that counts as pb)

Wouldn't normally post about times I'm hoping to achieve, but as I haven't been able to race for almost a year I need a bit of motivation & am hoping that having advertised my goal times for this year here on boards I will be more motivated to achieve them!

It will be a few months before I will be close to getting near hitting any target times - hoping the parkruns will be a good indicator of progression.

Good luck everyone!

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Your marathon target is much weaker than the other targets. Either you are being way too cautious for this event or you are more suited to shorter distances, in which case why would you bother with the marathon? It's just another event in the end of the day. If you can go sub 20 in the 5k then why bother searching for a 3:59?

Yeah I mean I was making these goals relative to my current pbs, I ran a 21.50 for 5k without any interval training so I reckon a sub 20 5k isn't beyond the realms of possibility. a 38 minute drop from my current marathon pb was enough I thought. I do tend to tire quite substantially over a marathon distance but I guess that happens to everyone? or maybe my marathon time will come down dramatically with some proper LSRs building up to it? What should a sub 20 5k runner be capable of over a marathon distance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Yeah I mean I was making these goals relative to my current pbs, I ran a 21.50 for 5k without any interval training so I reckon a sub 20 5k isn't beyond the realms of possibility. a 38 minute drop from my current marathon pb was enough I thought. I do tend to tire quite substantially over a marathon distance but I guess that happens to everyone? or maybe my marathon time will come down dramatically with some proper LSRs building up to it? What should a sub 20 5k runner be capable of over a marathon distance?

about 3.30
    You probably haven't built up your endurance enough, or got your pacing right, for the marathon distance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    about 3.30
    You probably haven't built up your endurance enough, or got your pacing right, for the marathon distance

I'd have actually said about 3:20. Mcmillan gives 3:14...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Run my first full in Dublin

Continue with HM's and smash my first PB of 1:50 on a hard clon course

Do a lot better than my current PB 10km of 49.35

Stay injury free and continue to enjoy it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭cullenswood

This year I want to get sub 20 5k (current time 20:08, so should be achievable short term).

Also want to run my first HM, and am targetting a time below 100 mins. That will probably be later in the year though. Will have to up my long runs over the next few months though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Sub 45m for 10k, did 45.02 last one so should be achievable!

Sub 70m for 10m, bit harder this one, did 78m for Ballycotton last year but have a lot more miles under my belt so hopefully that will help and the training i am doing.

sub 4hr for Cork Marathon, hopefully can do, did the cork to cobh 15m in 2hr 01min, will aim a bit higher but all depends on how i get on in training really.

RayCun wrote: »
    about 3.30
    menoscemo wrote: »
    I'd have actually said about 3:20. Mcmillan gives 3:14...

Cheers for the feedback its very much appreciated, maybe no harm in going for sub 3.30ish or less. Incidentally if we achieve these goals can we come back here and post them? It would be a bit of motivation for me!

• Advertisement

Cheers for the feedback its very much appreciated, maybe no harm in going for sub 3.30ish or less. Incidentally if we achieve these goals can we come back here and post them? It would be a bit of motivation for me!

There'd be no point in posting them up here otherwise :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

1. Get back running again... starting tonight. I haven't been for a run since August so it won't be pretty.
    2. Tuam 8K the weekend after next, that's depending how tonight's run goes.
    3. Get a 10k under my belt in Feb or March. Preferably under an hour but I'd rather work on distance.
    4. Connemara half.
    5. DCM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

First goal is to try and stay injury free. I always seem to get some sort of injury whenever I try to put in more miles.

HM - Current PB 1:58:12. Would love to get something under 1:50.
    10K - Current PB 50:06. Target 48 mins.
    Marathon - Depending on how my training goes for the Kildare Half marathon in Kildare, I hope to do a marathon later in the year, maybe Dublin. No particular time in mind for that, would just like to finish really.

Marathon - Depending on how my training goes for the Kildare Half marathon in Kildare

Cancelled today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

In no particular order

• Sub-40 10k
    • Sub-19 5k
    • More than 2k miles ran
    • WW Ultra completed
    • Conn Ultra
    • Donadea
    • Lots of IMRA races
    • sub-11 second 100m
    Not the last one though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Sub 3 Mara

Sub 80 half

Sub 60 10 mile

Quit running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

Run 1,000+ miles in 2014 (727 miles in 2013)

Sub 1:42 HM (PB 1:44:37 - Aug 2013)

Sub 47m 10k (PB 49:25 - Apr 2013)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Gavlor wrote: »
    Sub 3 Mara

Sub 80 half

Sub 60 10 mile

Quit running

Good few years left so..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

blockic wrote: »
    Good few years left so..

Mmwwahaha.... Did your girlfriend tell you to say that.... Oh crap wait, sorry dude :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭Peckham

Taking a bit of a stepback year (or two). Busy family and work life. Running has to play third place to those.

Two goals for next two years:
    1. Beat my age in a 10k. (I turn 37 in March, so 36:xx)
    2. Average 100 miles per month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Always good to give myself targets...

65.xx 10mile (71 min pb at mo)

1.25.xx HalfM ( Sub 1.30 at mo, just !)

3.05.xx Dublin M ( 3.15 at mo )

Now thats really gonna put me under pressure...eek !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

My Goals:

Staying injury free
    Enjoying my training
    Running my first Marathon (still looking after Kildare cancellation: Connemarathon?)
    Running a Marathon under 3 hours 20 (in Belfast, in Waterford, in Dublin?)
    Running a half-marathon under 1 hour 30 (currently 1:38)
    Running a 10k under 40 minutes (currently 42'25'')
    Running a 5k under 19 minutes (currently 19'17'')
    Running for pleasure everyday, early in the morning, for two weeks in Spain in the summer holidays
    Meeting other runners and sharing experience more

All the best to all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Getting back into it after doing basically nothing since Waterford at the end of June last year! Injured after going back doing a bit of hurling!! I've learned my lesson on that one at last!! Not sure if I'm right but had to get back at it as I was going mental and was piling on the weight. So I suppose my first and main goal is to get through the year relatively injury free! More specifically then would be:
    1. Do a lot more races of varying distances from 5k-marathon
    2. Go sub 40 min for 10k
    3. Go sub 3:10 for the marathon
    4. Do a cross country race by the end of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

1. Sub 3.10 marathon
    2. Sub 90 min half
    3. Sub 40 min 10K
    4. Sub 20 min 5K
    5. Do more to prevent injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭rom

get sick less. everything else will happen if this does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭opus

My only real goal for the year is to finish Comrades in and around my target time from last year namely ~8:15. Weather on the day will play a big part as I found to my cost!

Apart from that I'd like to go under 4h at the Doneda 50k in Feb and perhaps knock a few mins for the Conn ultra in April.

Bit wishy washy I know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

No PB goals in 2014 due to a plagued 2013 with a light-for-me 750 miles:

Jan-Feb: Base & Gym.
    Mar: Target a decent performance in cross country bhaa.
    Apr: Race a 5k in around 18.xx as a guide time for 5k specific training.
    June: After 5 months base & 5k I will up the speed and down the mileage: 4 weeks track work for a mile race!
    July-Aug: Aim for national half marathon.
    Sep-Oct: Marathon build up, sub 3.00 would be nice :P ok that would be a pb there, but I'll assume the rest has gone well....

PaulieC wrote: »
    In no particular order

• Sub-40 10k
    • Sub-19 5k
    • More than 2k miles ran
    • WW Ultra completed
    • Conn Ultra Some Park Runs
    • Donadea
    • Lots of IMRA races
    • sub-11 second 100m
    Not the last one though.

Word came down from on high that I have to cut out the frivolous spending while we decide where we are going on holidays and Conn represented the most frivolous of frivolity. Sure I can run 39 miles in Dublin for free apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Word came down from on high that I have to cut out the frivolous spending while we decide where we are going on holidays and Conn represented the most frivolous of frivolity. Sure I can run 39 miles in Dublin for free apparently.

I foresee a Boards group run over the Art O'Neill route happening in April/May...

That could be in the rant thread!

belcarra wrote: »
    I foresee a Boards group run over the Art O'Neill route happening in April/May...

is it free ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Goals for this year...

1. Cement my 19.59 5k with at least 3 sub-20 runs.
    2. Ideally a sub-40 10k, but I'll be happy with a 40:xx.
    3. 1:31.xx half - would like to go sub 1:30, but haven't the work in for this spring, maybe in the autumn.
    4. Stay injury free
    5. Complete 60m hurdles race this Saturday - this goes back a long way for me, fell at the first underage & never went back, so just want to get to the finish line in one piece on Sat morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

1. Sub 3.10 marathon
    2. Sub 90 min half
    3. Sub 40 min 10K
    4. Sub 20 min 5K

Thanks for saving me a bit of typing, these would be mine too.

Hoping to knock the 5k one off shortly, ran 20:10 at a parkrun last saturday so should be pretty achieveable. Obviously amend the targets if/when i hit them then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

run my first marathon, sub 3:40
    sub 1:35 half, currently 1:40:55
    sub 40 10k, currently 42:18
    sub 19 5k, currently 19:57

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shane1981

1. Sub 3.10 marathon
    2. Sub 90 min half
    3. Sub 40 min 10K
    4. Sub 20 min 5K
    5. Do more to prevent injury.

Same goals as me! Im nowhere near 3:10 marathon though, best is 03:29. Any particular training plan in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

shane1981 wrote: »
    Same goals as me! Im nowhere near 3:10 marathon though, best is 03:29. Any particular training plan in mind?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057073669

I'm following the great plan posted weekly in there by Blockic. Gradually building mileage and adding some faster work. Judging by the sessions I've been putting in lately it seems to be working well for me.

Whatever plan you follow, as long as you're consistent, not pushing too hard too fast and getting 95% of your scheduled runs in, it's only a matter of time before you hit your goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Goals for this year...

5. Complete 60m hurdles race this Saturday - this goes back a long way for me, fell at the first underage & never went back, so just want to get to the finish line in one piece on Sat morning.

Well?

I presume this was at AIT on Saturday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

dna_leri wrote: »
    Well?

I presume this was at AIT on Saturday...

Removing it from my list of goals - took one look at the height of them & decided it was best to not leave the arena on a stretcher headed for the x-ray dept of whatever the nearest hospital is to AIT.
    Instead, I ended up with two pulled hamstrings from the 60m flat & unable to compete in the 200m.
    On top of Connacht's dismal display in the Heineken Cup, it was a day to forget.

New updated list of goals for this year...

1. Cement my 19.59 5k with at least 3 sub-20 runs.
    2. Ideally a sub-40 10k, but I'll be happy with a 40:xx.
    3. 1:31.xx half - would like to go sub 1:30, but haven't the work in for this spring, maybe in the autumn.
    4. Stay injury free - once I recover from current one.
    5. Never consider a senior hurdles race again.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

5K - Sub 17 (currently 17:03)
    10K - Sub 35 (currently 35:43)
    10 Mile - Sub 60 (1st time)
    Half - Sub 80 (currently) 83:15
    Marathon - Sub 3 (currently 3.29)
    Do a lot more prehab, core etc., A LOT MORE!
    Drink more water

Doing Derry Marathon in June, my second after Belfast 2012, my main aim for the year is to run Sub 3, hopefully the 10/half will be looked after during training. Will probably only race 1 or 2 10K's this year so not too fussed about 10K time. My problem is 5K, have a race against time to get under 17 before I get into the thick of marathon training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

What is Derry course like? PB friendly?? More agreeable than Cork the day after?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

BeepBeep! wrote: »
    5K - Sub 17 (currently 17:03)
    10K - Sub 35 (currently 35:43)
    10 Mile - Sub 60 (1st time)
    Half - Sub 80 (currently) 83:15
    Marathon - Sub 3 (currently 3.29)

Your marathon goal time is so far out from all the others (even with a goal of a massive 30 minute PB) you should be able to do that while hopping on one leg!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

shane1981 wrote: »

My current PB is 3:34 and I'm targeting sub 3:10 in Seville. I've been following the P&D Up to 55 mile plan and seem to be on target at the moment:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057073987

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

Your marathon goal time is so far out from all the others (even with a goal of a massive 30 minute PB) you should be able to do that while hopping on one leg!

Yeah Belfast Marathon was my first ever race, joined a club after and that would explain the other times being out of sync. Sub 3, hopping on one leg? haha! I wish! Gonna leave nothing to chance.
    Watched Derry last year and looked a great marathon. The city really get behind it and you pass all the iconic parts of the city. There is 2 steady climbs and a really humdinger at 25 mile but apart from that it is pancake flat. lol Its only 20 minutes from my home, so I can train on the course, sleep in my own bed night before etc. so should suit me for a Sub 3 attempt. Here is Derry map/elevation. Think its almost full by the way! http://www.walkjogrun.net/routes/current_route.cfm?rid=8792F691-CE78-48CF-A7D8C0DCFC952233

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭slingerz

5K - Sub 23 (currently 25.53)
    10K - Sub 49 (currently 56.35)

Dont have the desire for longer races this year focusing on 10K down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Removing it from my list of goals - took one look at the height of them & decided it was best to not leave the arena on a stretcher headed for the x-ray dept of whatever the nearest hospital is to AIT.
    Instead, I ended up with two pulled hamstrings from the 60m flat & unable to compete in the 200m.
    On top of Connacht's dismal display in the Heineken Cup, it was a day to forget.

Ouch, fair play for giving the 60m a go, hope the hamstring pull is not too serious. I did a 110m hurdles once in a league race - never again, I'd have a better chance going under them. Maybe go along to your local sports day or community games and do the U12 60m hurdles before the kids, just to lay that bogey to rest! And as for Connacht, I'm glad I'm not a rugby supporter, would not admit it if I were.

• Advertisement
Advertisement