Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you manage having more than 2 dogs?

• 01-01-2014 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

I've always had two and find them very manageable, however we now have 5 in our care and I am feeling really overwhelmed looking after them. I will more then likely be re homing 2 but it's got me thinking how do people do it on a full time basis.

I only work 3 days but on those days I find it extremely stressful to deal with them. Is their anyone else in this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I have 6 of my own and take the occasional boarder and fosterer so it's not unusual for me to have up to 9 in the house. It is workable for me but there's a couple of things that make the difference to me - my own dogs range in age from 15 to 5, so I had each new dog trained pretty much the way I wanted them trained before I got another dog, yes there was a period of unsettle while everyone got used to the new addition.

I only take boarding dogs from one family at a time, it means it limits the number of boarders I can take but I find mixing too many dogs from different places means everyone is unsettled, where as having one or two dogs from the same family means they settle in to my family really well. It's the same with foster pups, I'd normally only take one, max 2 unless they are the same litter so they settle in easier.

For me slow addition of dogs is key to things not being chaos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

We currently have 3 dogs, (and a foster), 1 cat and 2 ferrets (that roam most of the house).
    We were just about managing with the 7 pets. I think it would be easier if it were all one species >.<'.

Currently having a bit of trouble with the foster dog and one of our own dogs, and the ferrets.
    Just don't feel safe trusting the terrier around the ferrets.

I do most of caring with the animals/walking/cleaning etc. And it definitely does get over whelming at times.
    We hadn't intended on ever having this many pets. But certain circumstances and well :o .

Hopefully can find a home for the foster soon, it's really just one pet too many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I have 3 dogs and a cat. I had 4 dogs at one point which was the limit for me. I had no problem myself but I think 4 dogs tilts the balance too much. The dogs regard you are just the janitor while they run the show. The cat is not a dog lover either but mainly resides indoors while the dogs have their kennels in the garage - the main one is air heated for their comfort too.

I would have been able to manage with 4 but one dog did not get along with my beloved collie and fearing for the safety of her I had to get that (attacking) dog re homed which broke my heart too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

I have four 2 lab's, one retriever, and a cross lab all under 5. I'm at home full time and they get their walk after school drop off's and sleep then most of the day, walked again after dinner around 4 with my two kid's (8 & 6). Weekend's vary but they would get a walk at some stage.

It is tricky especially if my chocolate lab who's 3 does'nt get out she's the most work in the house. Weekend's and hols when kids don't want to go for a walk is tricky. I'm luck I live next door to a forest so no lead's etc needed, I walk 3k with them so whatever they do the equivilent of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭hollytrees

Thanks for all the replies, too many dogs definitely wins the prize for coping with so many!!!

Since I posted I have found a new home for two of them. They are moving on Saturday and the relief I feel is huge!

I will then own 3 dogs, 1 of whom is a pup but feel so much better about this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement